Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Africa's most dangerous game

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
shakari
.400 member

Reged: 09/02/03
Loc: South Africa
Africa's most dangerous game
      #1646 - 14/02/03 04:04 PM

I wonder who first came up with this old chestnut about Hippo being the most dangerous game in Africa. Whilst I acknowledge that they are extremely dangerous (especially when hunted in the right way) I refuse to believe that they are anywhere near the biggest killers. I reckon it was invented by some pissed up journo in a bar somewhere.

I'm convinced that snakes, crocs and probably other animals kill more people than Hippos. That's without mentioning mosquitos, tsetse and the AIDS virus.

So what do you think?

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
Kuduland Safaris (Africa) Ltd
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
SafariHunt
.333 member

Reged: 02/01/03
Loc: Pretoria RSA
Re: Africa's most dangerous game [Re: shakari]
      #1655 - 14/02/03 08:05 PM

Shakari,

I think Malaria is on top of the list but I think what was meant about the most dangerous animal was something you could see very big and so on.

I however have read and heard too many reports about hippos being the no. 1 when it comes to killing people the reason obviously is intervention with people and the water where they stay. I'm sure that not a lot of people can tell their story of being between a hippo and his water at night on a small plot where fruit and veggies are grown. People need water just as hippo needs it even though crocs are also involved they only attack when the people are close or in the water while hippo attacks happen mostly outside the water and at night. Then there is the odd boat or canoe that is thrown over by an angry resident hippo that also takes crocs from the equation. So what I'm trying to say is that I do believe the reports of hippos been a higher killer of man than crocs because there is more contact between hippo and man than croc and man.

Lets take fro example the Mpumalanga province in RSA hardly anyone gets kiled by crocs but you regurlaly hear about attacts on human and in some instances where thay have been killed. The people grow crops next to the rivers and in the drier times the hippos obiously come out and eat the crops again contact with people.

--------------------
"Sleeping under the African sky I can see nothing wrong with this world!"

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
      #1656 - 15/02/03 12:53 AM

Shakari, I think the most dangerous MAMMAL to CLIENT HUNTERS, as far as being killed, is the cape buffalo. This is mainly due to the fact that this is the most hunted dangerous game in Africa, by client hunters.

That being said, the most deaths to people in Africa by mammals is by the Hippo! This is due to the vilagers use of water for everything from bathing, to cooking, and their habbit of going to the river, or lake as early in the morning as is possible, to avoid the heat of the later day. The women also take their kids with them to the water's edge, The men wade the water to cast nets, and most of them that are taken, are by Croc. The hippo is a night raider of gardens, and those gardens are guarded at night if there is a problem, hence the problem with Hippo.

I believe the Hippo kills the most people In Africa, that are killed by mammals, and probably more than by snakes, as well. The cost in human life to the Hippo is more to the local population,many never reported, than any visiting hunter, or PH!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Africa's most dangerous game [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #1657 - 15/02/03 01:44 AM

Not sure which has killed more - hippos or crocs, but when I canoed on the Zambezi I know the hippos are a lot more intimidating in a light boat than crocs. The Zambezi crocs didn't worry me at all as long as I stayed out of the water.

I don't think a canoe would pose much of an obstacle to a hippo.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

AspenHill
Sponsor

Reged: 08/01/03
Loc: Vermont, USA
Re: Africa's most dangerous game [Re: NitroX]
      #1659 - 15/02/03 05:30 AM

I have heard the hippo was the most dangerous. Interseting theory about the crocs though as they wouldn't leave any evidence!

--------------------
~Ann

Everyday spent outdoors is the best day of my life.

Aspen Hill Adventures

shakari
.400 member

Re: Africa's most dangerous game [Re: AspenHill]
      #1668 - 15/02/03 05:06 PM

I guess it's impossible to prove either way. You would need to visit every little village in every out of the way wilderness area in Africa.

Great way to do research though!

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

Mpofu
.300 member

Reged: 02/01/03
      #1920 - 08/03/03 12:12 AM

Purely from a hunters perspective, I reckon as far as the big 5 are concerned, the most dangerous animal will be determined by the circumstances and terrain.
ie.. in the bush with poor visibility , a wounded Buffalo will take some beating.
In more open ground, with ground cover(grass and low bush) a wounded cat would be a front runner.
Elephant really surprised me in the thick stuff, couldn't see the buggers, even when we were close enough to hear their stomachs rumble.
All exciting stuff.
M.

Bigfive
Sponsor

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Freestate,South-Africa
Re: Africa's most dangerous game [Re: Mpofu]
      #1998 - 11/03/03 08:04 PM

My view on this is simple:
ANY wild animal is potentially dangerous,some just more than other so don't feel to relaxed when thinking of a buffalo compared to a blue/black wildebeest.They main issue here is not how dangerous the animal is but how hard it is to kill that animal cleanly.All these big animals that crush,bite and charge is nothing compared to the malaria mozzy who kills 1 person every 32 seconds in Africa.

--------------------
"Hunting is a way of life"
Bigfive,South Africa

shakari
.400 member

#2002 - 12/03/03 04:53 AM

Big Five,
Yeah, I'm with you on that one. I was "taught to be cautious" and am scared of them all!!!............ but that's why (God willing) I've been in the business for some 14 years or so and so far have got through pretty much unscathed.

I did get a dab or two from a leopard 2 tears ago, but it wasn't really much, and again, God willing I'll get through the next 14 years in the same way.

Cheers

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
      #2005 - 12/03/03 10:41 AM

For my money the most dangerous is a wounded Leopard-my God they're fast! Second would be the wounded Mbogo. Last, but not least-don't ever get between a Hippo on land, and the water!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 50 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2078

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com