Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Elle Macpherson slammed over illegal rhino remedy

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Elle Macpherson slammed over illegal rhino remedy
      #163525 - 07/07/10 02:49 AM

A YEAR ago, Elle Macpherson publicly boycotted a posh London restaurant for serving endangered bluefin tuna, but now animal rights groups have instead turned on her.

The 47-year-old has been slammed for advocating the use of powdered rhino horn, a traditional Chinese medicine remedy which is banned worldwide by the Convention on Trade in Endangered Species (CITES).

Bluefin tuna is widely considered to be as endangered as the white rhinoceros, but in an interview with The Times Online via Twitter, Australian-born Macpherson seemed unconcerned.

Asked why she takes powdered rhino horn, the supermodel famously dubbed "The Body" replied: "Put it this way, [it] works for me".

The host of Britain's Next Top Model, then went on to say that the rhino horn tasted "a little bit like crushed bone and fungus in a capsule…" but it "does the job though".

Nicola Beynon, the Humane Society International's senior program manager, said trade of all rhino species and their products had been prohibited since 1977.

She said she was appalled by Macpherson's comments.

"The Humane Society International condemns the poaching of rhinos, particularly for their use in beauty products and Ms Macpherson's actions are reprehensible," Beynon said.

The World Wildlife Fund says rhino poaching worldwide hit a 15-year high in 2009, driven by the demand for rhino horn products.

The International Fund for Animal Welfare has been so shocked by the supermodel’s comments that it has prepared an information package to send to Ms Macpherson to educate her on the plight of the rhino and the use of alternative traditional medicines.

"There is no excuse for using any endangered animal products," Erica Martin, the organisation’s Asia-Pacific director, said.

"First and foremost, selling rhino products is illegal and in breach of CITES and secondly four out of five species of rhino are literally on the brink of extinction.

"Elle has been a successful businesswoman with a high public profile for decades and people do listen to what she says.

"Elle needs to take responsibility for her comments and encourage people to look to sustainable alternative medicines."

Martin said foxglove root had been widely promoted as an effective and sustainable herbal alternative to rhino horn.

Rhino horns are made of keratin, the same type of protein that makes up hair and fingernails.

Selling for up to $60,000 a kilo, rhino horn has been used for centuries in Chinese medicine to cure a variety of ailments including fevers, pain, arthritis and a host of other serious diseases.

Environmental science website Monabay said the critical endangerment of the rhino is underpinned by the exorbitant cost of rhino products.

"Powdered rhino horn, such as Elle MacPherson uses, is not cheap: last year one kilo was worth approximately $60,000, nearly $20,000 more than a kilo of gold."

Macpherson is currently in Britain for her hosting role on Britain's Next Top Model.

News.com.au is seeking comment from the former supermodel.

Interview As per Times Online:

Witter: You’re said to be a great fan of Chinese medicine. What does powdered rhino horn taste like?
E MacP: A little bit like crushed bone and fungus in a capsule. Does the job though.

Witter: How do you know that it works? A lot of people say Chinese medicine is quackery.
E MacP: Put it this way, works for me.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/enterta...r-1225888611525

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
GroovyMike
.300 member

Reged: 07/04/09
Loc: NY
Re: Elle Macpherson slammed over illegal rhino remedy [Re: NitroX]
      #163550 - 07/07/10 05:18 AM

ELLE Macpherson says she regrets any distress she may caused by jokingly advocating the use of powdered rhino horn, a traditional Chinese medicine that is banned worldwide.

During a recent interview with The Sunday Times Magazine, the Australian model said that she had tasted rhino horn and that it had done the job.

Her comments were condemned by animal rights activists, more so because Macpherson had publicly boycotted a posh London restaurant for serving bluefin tuna, an animal that is as endangered as the white rhino.

However, the model told news.com.au today that she had "never knowingly consumed or encouraged the use or consumption of any products which contain material derived from endangered species".

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/features/environm...7#ixzz0svo7ebN8

--------------------
Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart. Psalm 37:4

Story
.333 member

Reged: 15/10/08
Loc: SE PA, USA
Re: Elle Macpherson slammed over illegal rhino remedy [Re: GroovyMike]
      #165821 - 06/08/10 01:07 PM

Poachers have butchered the last adult rhinoceros at a South African game reserve, cutting off her horn and letting her bleed to death, the chief game ranger says.

“We’ve had rhinos here for 20 years,” Japie Mostert told the Star on Thursday from the Krugersdorp Game Reserve, 60 kilometres northwest of Johannesburg. “She was the last one.”

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/articl...r-her-horn?bn=1

EricD
.416 member

Reged: 27/02/04
Re: Elle Macpherson slammed over illegal rhino remedy [Re: Story]
      #165895 - 08/08/10 03:31 AM

Quote:

Rhino horns are made of keratin, the same type of protein that makes up hair and fingernails.

I wonder if Elle Macpherson would accept chewing on my finger and toenails as an alternative?

Seriously though, I'm kind of disgusted that "super stars" such as Macpherson can use her stature to make a big fuss about boycotting a restaurant that serves bluefin tuna, yet she EATS body parts from an endangered animal in order to, (at least in her mind), allow her million dollar body sell in the fashion/model market for a little bit longer. What a hypocrite...

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
Elle Macpherson denies taking rhino horn medicine [Re: EricD]
      #165900 - 08/08/10 05:09 AM

Last update: Thu Jul 8 2010 16:33:11
http://itn.co.uk/6e0c07b12aad97ee263ad8b031dfa2dd.html

Supermodel Elle Macpherson has denied trying banned medicine made from rhino horn.

The Britain's Next Top Model presenter was asked in an interview on Twitter about her interest in Chinese medicine, and what powdered rhino horn tasted like.

Macpherson replied that it tasted like crushed bone and fungus in a capsule, but that it "does the job."

The model and entrepreneur has now denied ever taking the medicine, saying: "I flippantly answered [the question], implying that I had tried it. In fact I have never tried rhino horn."

Known as The Body, Macpherson said she was against the use of the endangered species' horn in medicine: "The whole concept is unacceptable to me."

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 395 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2605

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com