Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Dangerous game rifle

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
gunbug
.275 member

Reged: 14/01/05
Loc: british columbia
Dangerous game rifle
      #163215 - 02/07/10 02:28 PM

Anyone have any opinions on the Mauser 66S as a dangerous game rifle?[Reliability?]

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
shakari
.400 member

Reged: 09/02/03
Loc: South Africa
Re: Dangerous game rifle [Re: gunbug]
      #163229 - 02/07/10 05:05 PM

I'm going from memory here but if it serves me correctly, they made the 66 with the telescoping bolt and the 66S was a single shot.... I might be wrong on that though.

If your referring to the telescoping bolt model, I seem to remember it was originally designed as a sniper rifle for special services and the only reason they stopped making it was that they couldn't make money on the production.

Of the few I've seen, they're helluva good rifle and extremely reliable and accurate..... probably expensive even now though.

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
Kuduland Safaris (Africa) Ltd
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

Rolf
.333 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: Germany, Bavaria
Re: Dangerous game rifle [Re: gunbug]
      #163898 - 12/07/10 09:03 PM

Gentlemen,

I own a Mauser 66S in 7mm SE vom Hofe.

The telescopic system is a push-feed.
Due to this system the rifle is much shorter (about 2") than an 98 Mauser based rifle with the same barrel length.
Magazine capacity is (if memory serves well) 3 shots in the magazine for bigger cartridges.
Offered calibers for Big Game were 9,3x64, .458 Win.Mag. and (not sure) .375 H&H.
Safety position is less than optimal, and stiff to operate, but it blocks the firing pin.
Angle of the grip area is good for deliberate shots, but not good for shooting in a hurry.

My rifle feeds and functions properly, but it has a set trigger, and the unset trigger is bad.
A company in Deggendorf in Bavaria (Kessler, famous for his light mountain rifles based on 98 systems) offers a modification set to standard trigger of very good quality, but expensive.

This is a fantastic rifle for mountain hunts (precision and shortness), but I wouldn´t use it for dangerous game (safety and trigger).

best regards
Rolf

Paul
.400 member

Reged: 28/08/07
Loc: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Re: Dangerous game rifle [Re: Rolf]
      #163904 - 13/07/10 12:17 AM

A fine rifle, far ahead of its time of course, but I have heard a couple of other criticism of it in regard to hunting dangerous game.

First, the bolt handle is well forward of the trigger(s) making it hard to reach in a hurry.

Second, if you managed to cycle it from the shoulder, you'd need to lift your head or risk getting the bolt in your face. This would possibly increase the likelihood of shortstroking it, too.

- Paul

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 162 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3174

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com