Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Back From Zimbabwe

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
BOWHUNR
.224 member

Reged: 25/01/03
Loc: Omaha, NE USA
Back From Zimbabwe
      #160663 - 19/05/10 04:01 AM

But without Mr. Spots.

Booking Agent – Tracking Africa Safari’s (George Gehrman)
Travel Agent – Gracy Travel (Meliza Solis)
Airline – Delta/SA Airlink
Guest House - Afton
Outfitter – Mbalabala Safari’s
Location – Mbalabala Zimbabwe/West Nicholson Zimbabwe
P.H. – Lindon Stanton
Rifle #1 - Winchester Model 70 .375 H&H with Nosler Custom 300 gr. Nosler Partitions
Rifle #2 - Winchester Model 70 7x57 Mauser with Federal Vital Shok 140 gr. Nosler Partitions
Species Hunted - Leopard, Sable, Waterbuck, Tsessebe, Reedbuck, Klipspringer, Bushpig
Species Taken - Sable, Waterbuck, Klipspringer, Zebra, (6) Impala Bait
Species Seen – Leopard, Crocodile, Waterbuck, Brown Hyena, Hippo, Eland, Kudu, Giraffe, Zebra, Reedbuck, Klipspringer, Impala, Warthog, Duiker, Steenbuck, Baboon, Monkey

I arrived in Johannesburg on April 29th and was promptly met by Bruce and Chris with Gracy travel. I can’t say enough good things about Gracy’s SA firearms permit and meet and greet services. My overnight was spent at the Afton House, which is always a pleasure. On April 30th I was off to Bulawayo and ready to start my 14 day safari.

My primary goal on this hunt was a big male Leopard and much of our time was devoted to checking, hanging and shooting baits (those who have hunted leopard over bait will know what I mean). My safari took place on two properties. Mashura Ranch which is southeast of West Nicholson, right on the northern border of the Bubiana Conservancy and Limerick Ranch the Stanton’s cattle ranch on the extreme eastern end of the Matopo Hills.

Because of the rains and early dates of my hunt this part of Zimbabwe was very green this year. We had several Leopards on bait at both properties over the course of my safari but only females and young males of around 130 pounds. We were seeing the tracks of three big cats with 42” plus strides, but just couldn’t get them to hit the baits. We even resorted to using live goats the last four days. I had told myself before leaving that I would not shoot a cat under 160 pounds so that took care of taking a poke at the smallish males that were feeding.

Green tree's and tall grass.

On the second day while out hunting for baits we stumbled upon this Waterbuck. We were able to stalk within 60 yards and a single lung shot from the .375 put him down.

On day number three I shot this Zebra Stallion for bait. However, upon examining his flawless hide I decided to keep him as a trophy. A quartering away shot with the .375 took him trough the heart, almost splitting it in half.

Day number five took us up into the hills in search of Klipspringer. We saw several, but those little guys can haul ass and have the vision of an Eagle. After a couple of failed stalks I took this ram at 175 yards with the 7x57. He was facing us and the bullet entered his chest and exited his rectum. Talk about being center punched!

On the ninth day of the hunt we came upon this guy in the heavy brush. This is the only animal taken that required more than one shot, mainly because of poor placement by the guy behind the rifle. He was strongly quartering away and the first shot with the .375 took him behind the rib cage, through the liver and into the off side shoulder. As we stalked to within 50 yards I gave him a finisher through the lungs.

We spent a couple of afternoons looking for a big Hippo bull but only found young bulls, cows and calves.

To say I was not disappointed about coming home without a Leopard would be a lie, but I kept it real from the start and realized with the standards I had set I had a 50/50 chance of putting a 160+ pound cat in the salt.

I had a great safari and was treated more like family than a client by the Stanton's. One thing is for sure though, I will return to Zimbabwe to take another crack at Mr. Spots. Even though my home and family are in Nebraska, there will always be a part of my heart that remains in Zimbabwe.

Mike

--------------------
Kudu, it's not just for breakfast anymore!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ben
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/08
Loc: Northern Territory, Australia
Re: Back From Zimbabwe [Re: BOWHUNR]
      #160670 - 19/05/10 07:34 AM

Fantastic! Congratulations on a fine achievement. Thanks for sharing your photos. Perhaps next time for a leopard?

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Back From Zimbabwe [Re: Ben]
      #160675 - 19/05/10 09:17 AM

Way to go - great pictures, good overall shooting. Black animals cause lots of trouble, especialy in brush.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

MickGibbo
.224 member

Reged: 13/11/09
Loc: Sutherland, NSW, Australia
Re: Back From Zimbabwe [Re: DarylS]
      #160679 - 19/05/10 11:52 AM

Looks liek a great trip with some memorable hunts. What camera were you using for your photos?

shooter
.224 member

Reged: 25/11/08
Loc: UK
Re: Back From Zimbabwe [Re: MickGibbo]
      #160698 - 19/05/10 05:57 PM

I am jealous.
Other than the trophies, i would also like to commend you on your self descipline and restrain showed by you by sticking to your principles.

I dont know if me or even other hunters would be able to keep their fingers off the trigger once they saw a leopard from a hide.

I dont know much about this forum rules; are we allowed to ask you about the cost etc or is that not allowed/considered rude/ frowned upon.

Anyways, my heartfelt congratulations to you.

--------------------
Born to hunt, forced to work

CHAPUISARMES
.416 member

Reged: 16/01/08
Loc: DUBBO, NSW, AUSTRALIA
Re: Back From Zimbabwe [Re: shooter]
      #160702 - 19/05/10 08:29 PM

Hi Bowhunr,

Looks like you had a fantastic safari, very nice trophies to be proud of. Mr Spots will be waiting for your return I'm sure. Good luck and hope the trophies arrive home safely and in a timely manner.

Cheers,

Jeff Gray

Huntersheart
.224 member

Reged: 23/03/10
Loc: Qld,Australia
Re: Back From Zimbabwe [Re: CHAPUISARMES]
      #160704 - 19/05/10 09:33 PM

Well done on your hunt - a great looking Waterbuck . Great photos of the country. Having now hunted 62 days all up with Lindon in that country I know you will be back for more as they truely have good leopard, but the best part is that it takes time which makes you return and the eventual prize well worth while.

Barry Bicknell

BOWHUNR
.224 member

Re: Back From Zimbabwe [Re: shooter]
      #160708 - 19/05/10 10:09 PM

Quote:

I dont know much about this forum rules; are we allowed to ask you about the cost etc or is that not allowed/considered rude/ frowned upon.

Anyways, my heartfelt congratulations to you.

As far as I know there are no rules against it. This was my second hunt with the Stanton's and I will be going back for a third to try the Leopard again. Their 2010 rate for Leopard/Plainsgame is $550.00 per day with a 12 day minimum and $400.00 per day for Plainsgame only. Trophy fee for Leopard and Sable $4000.00 each and most of the plainsgame trophy fees are less than $1600.00 with the bulk being $1000.00 or less.

Mike

--------------------

BOWHUNR
.224 member

Re: Back From Zimbabwe [Re: MickGibbo]
      #160710 - 19/05/10 10:17 PM

Quote:

What camera were you using for your photos?

A Canon S3/IS 6.0 Mega Pixel. I really like the camera, though it is a little bulky.

Mike

--------------------

crkennedy1
.375 member

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: Utah
      #160711 - 19/05/10 10:28 PM

Sorry that you didn't get your leopard, but I'm sure you will next time. Thanks for sharing your hunt with us. Being from Nebraska, I'm suprised that you weren't shooting Hornaday (I used to live in Papillion). I like your Klipspringer the best - nobody can appreciate just how fast those little guys are and how tough they are to harvest until they've hunted one themselves. I had a similar experience with my Duiker.

--------------------
DOUBLE or NOTHING

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
      #160727 - 20/05/10 05:14 AM

Congratulations on a fine hunt. Your Sable is fabulous, and the Waterbuck is one to be proud of as well.The consolation is having a reason to return to Africa to complete your quest for Mr. Spots.

bakerb
.224 member

Reged: 03/09/08
Loc: SW MO
Re: Back From Zimbabwe [Re: mikeh416Rigby]
      #161297 - 02/06/10 04:29 AM

Awesome pictures!

Bake

--------------------
Shots rang out. . . as shots are wont to do.

Paul
.400 member

Reged: 28/08/07
Loc: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Re: Back From Zimbabwe [Re: bakerb]
      #161327 - 02/06/10 09:57 PM

Thanks for the posts, Bowhunr. The country certainly looks good after the wet season. Yours looks a nice big sable. If it's not a rude question, how big?

- Paul

bigmaxx
.375 member

Reged: 13/06/07
Loc: Bowling Green KY U.S.A.
Re: Back From Zimbabwe [Re: Paul]
      #161343 - 03/06/10 05:34 AM

Looks like you had an awesome hunt!

--------------------
One day at a time...

BOWHUNR
.224 member

Re: Back From Zimbabwe [Re: Paul]
      #161413 - 04/06/10 06:23 AM

Quote:

Yours looks a nice big sable. If it's not a rude question, how big?

- Paul

To be honest Paul, I have no idea. Neither my P.H. or myself had a tape measure. Our guess was around 39" using the old "thumb tip to pinky tip" method.

Mike

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 227 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5464

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com