Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Bill Shear's W-R 318

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Forum Photos & Archive

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
Re: Bill Shear's W-R 318 [Re: justcurious]
      #157104 - 22/03/10 08:57 AM

To suggest that W.R. used a standard action simply to make the gun cheaper to manufacture is ridiculous.
The fact is that the magnum actions weren't very much more expensive than a standard action. Also, think about whether any company other than Rigby could even source a magnum action from Mauser - well, they couldn't.
That is why original 404 Jefferys (1909), .333 Jefferys (1908), 318 Westleys (1910), and 425 Westleys (1909) were ALL built on standard actions - they had no option at the time! And I haven't even mentioned the .500 Schuler, which btw, was the most powerful cartidge in the world at the time!

Anyone with access to both a std. and mag. action should stick their finger in the front ring from the magazine side and feel the difference in metal behind the bolt lug swathes - not much difference is there?
Also, IMO, the cutout on the rear of the front ring is only needed if you plan on loading from a stripper clip - and as mentioned above, only if you have a very long bullet.

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
      #157105 - 22/03/10 09:25 AM

Quote:

Quote:

L.m.a.A !

Aha, Götz von Berlichingen lebt noch!

kuduae
.400 member

Reged: 13/01/10
Loc: middle of Germany
Re: Bill Shear's W-R 318 [Re: xausa]
      #157107 - 22/03/10 09:37 AM

Well, I feel much safer behind a Mauser or Mannlicher-Schoenauer, even with a cut receiver ring, than behind a Blaser, be it a R93 or a new R8. At least I am sure that the bolt will not come back into my face in case of a failure.

--------------------
German foresters: We like sustainability! For merely 300 years by 2013.

Edited by kuduae (22/03/10 09:41 AM)

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
      #157109 - 22/03/10 10:08 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

L.m.a.A !

Aha, Götz von Berlichingen lebt noch!

Edited by JabaliHunter (23/03/10 01:25 AM)

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: Bill Shear's W-R 318 [Re: kuduae]
      #157111 - 22/03/10 11:07 AM

Quote:

Well, I feel much safer behind a Mauser or Mannlicher-Schoenauer, even with a cut receiver ring, than behind a Blaser, be it a R93 or a new R8. At least I am sure that the bolt will not come back into my face in case of a failure.

And any hot gases from a ruptured case will be directed down
towards the magazine well !!!

whitey
.275 member

Reged: 20/01/10
Loc: Colorado, USA
      #157116 - 22/03/10 11:46 AM

Nitro X I have the stock.Smile
I believe this model is what they call a TAKE APART model and not a take down. And they made both
Models. Whitey

justcurious
.333 member

Reged: 17/03/10
Loc: Germany
Re: Bill Shear's W-R 318 [Re: whitey]
      #157157 - 22/03/10 10:29 PM

[image]http://www.i662photobucket.com/albums/uu345Dandyofpunjab/DSC03060.jpeg[image]

justcurious
.333 member

#157255 - 24/03/10 06:36 AM

OK I´ll try it again:

http://i.662photobucket.com/albums/uu345Dandyofpunjab/DSC03060.jpeg

Found that picture in the Mauser Discussion Forum . Interesting Westley Richards -
Member: Dandyofpunjab

Thanks to the owner .

Have some problems to make the link working.
Want to make some statements in my following post.

Edited by justcurious (24/03/10 06:50 AM)

500Nitro
.450 member

#157257 - 24/03/10 06:51 AM

jc

I can't get that link to work ?

justcurious
.333 member

Re: Bill Shear's W-R 318 [Re: 500Nitro]
      #157264 - 24/03/10 07:38 AM

Sorry for that , but it will not work so i´m linking the thread.
http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=155056&an=0&page=0#Post155056

hope that works.

Starting my update:

WR made a cut in the front receiver ring from 11 to 3 o´clock. Deepness ca. 5mm.

The total amount of the thickness behind the upper locking lug is 10 mmm.

Reducing material at that critical area by 50 % is to my view creating a predeterminated breaking point.

Technically ( international not only teutonic !) indisputable.

Good for what ?
For proper loading long rounds - even by clips - it´s enough to cut a small radius at 12 o´clock.

So done by various makers (Rigby´s .416 , H&H .244 Mag and postwar production.300 Mag and .375 Mag. made up on standard length actions. Even to be seen on Original Oberndorf sporting rifles in Cal. 30-06 !).

Only additional effect of the way WR did it . To eject an u n f i r e d round.
An empty shell will easy pass the receiver without that treatment.

500Nitro
.450 member

#157266 - 24/03/10 07:45 AM

Technically yes.

But, how come the guns don't blow up all the time ?

Maybe because someone actually thought about it all those years ago and worked out it would pass proof and be safe ?

What do you think Custom gunmakers around the world do ?
The same type of things - take metal away fore and aft.

I am quite happy firing my 318's, more so than some guns made by backyard gunsmiths, er, sorry, backyard butchers in the US
where they don't have to pass proof.

500Nitro
.450 member

#157268 - 24/03/10 07:48 AM

JC,

Nothing is going to make you happy so no point in continuing.

You seem to have a beef with WR yet ALL makers have done similar modifications.

justcurious
.333 member

#157270 - 24/03/10 08:36 AM

500N

Similiar done is not exactly the same. It is that special WR treating of the .318 I criticise.

Name me other renowned riflemakers who make exactly that modification.

Why used Rigby , H&H , Jeffery (immediately following the year 1912 , when Rigbys lost their privilege as Mausers sole UK representatve) magnum length actions for the long cartridges.

I believe they also had their brain on air.

How many working .318 WR rifles will you find worldwide(in past and present). How many rounds have passed.

That you are sane is statistically no argument.

What does proofing tell us ?

When a carpenter modifies an armchair by sawing the backrest to half of the original thickness you may doubt that it is stable.
When you ask im for stability he may answer : I proofed it for stability with hundreds of slim ladies.
Maybe that you´ll be content.
But someday will come the fat man slumping into the chair.

Hope it will be stable.

You are certainly reloader and you guess what I mean.

Whish you all days "slim ladies" and enjoy your rifles.

By the way WR is by me a highly estimated riflemaker up to now.

500Nitro
.450 member

#157271 - 24/03/10 08:44 AM

Quote:

500N

How many working .318 WR rifles will you find worldwide(in past and present). How many rounds have passed.

Hundreds of them in the world.

And thousands of rounds of ammo.

I was amazed at the number of 318WR bullets Woodleigh sold
so obviously they are used worldwide.

Yet we never hear of any "blow ups".

WHAT DOES PROOF SHOW US ?
That the gun is mechanically safe and sound when made.

Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
      #157290 - 24/03/10 12:14 PM

Quote:

Why used Rigby , H&H , Jeffery (immediately following the year 1912 , when Rigbys lost their privilege as Mausers sole UK representatve) magnum length actions for the long cartridges.

You will notice that the Jeffery (or WR) cartridges do not approach the OAL of the .350 or .416 Rigby for which the magnum action was originally designed. The fact that they later offered their rifles utilizing a mag. action could very well have been due to market forces rather than an admission of manufacturing an inferior weapon prior to that. The proof is in the pudding - I would still like to see a failed WR action.

What does proofing tell us ?

When a carpenter modifies an armchair by sawing the backrest to half of the original thickness you may doubt that it is stable.
When you ask im for stability he may answer : I proofed it for stability with hundreds of slim ladies.

Proofing is to show that the rifle has withstood a HIGHER power cartridge than that which is meant to be the service charge - not "slim ladies" - terrible analogy. Rifles aren't proofed with less powerful loads than standard.

Also, to expect that the cutaway on the front ring predisposes the action to fail, you are also expecting the other front lug to fail as well as the rear lug on the bolt.
That would be an interesting test - remove the top lug on a Mauser bolt and then test fire it (under controlled conditions of course) to see when or if it fails. I have a standard bolt which I will donate for the cause.

Edited by Huvius (24/03/10 12:21 PM)

xausa
.400 member

Re: Bill Shear's W-R 318 [Re: Huvius]
      #157300 - 24/03/10 03:18 PM

Not to add fuel to an already overheated controversy, but the usual complaint levelled at using magnum length cartridges in a standard length action is that the lower locking lug recess is weakened by the amount of metal required to be removed in order to accomodate the longer magazine and the new feed ramp, so if one locking lug recess went, the other was likely to do so also.

Conversely, the total back thrust on a bolt face is unlikely to be as much as the gas pressure per square inch times the actual case head area of the cartridge, which in the case of the .318 would be about .17 square inches. Multiplied by 18.5 tonnes, which is the value ascribed to .318 chamber pressure by Taylor, would be about 3.145 tonnes rearward pressure on the bolt face.

If a "tonne" is a long ton, or a metric ton (2200 pounds), then this would amount to slightly under 7000 pounds of back thrust, assuming the cartridge failed to obturate and cling to the chamber wall. Even a receiver weakened as described, or one weakened by cutting a dovetail in the receiver ring for the purpose of scope mounting, could probably withstand that kind of treatment with no problem, but I feel confident that none of these arrangements would even be accepted for proof testing in Germany, let alone pass proof.

500Nitro
.450 member

#157302 - 24/03/10 03:22 PM

Quote:

Not to add fuel to an already overheated controversy, but the usual complaint levelled at using magnum length cartridges in a standard length action is that the lower locking lug recess is weakened by the amount of metal required to be removed in order to accomodate the longer magazine and the new feed ramp, so if one locking lug recess went, the other was likely to do so also.

Conversely, the total back thrust on a bolt face is unlikely to be as much as the gas pressure per square inch times the actual case head area of the cartridge, which in the case of the .318 would be about .17 square inches. Multiplied by 18.5 tonnes, which is the value ascribed to .318 chamber pressure by Taylor, would be about 3.145 tonnes rearward pressure on the bolt face.

If a "tonne" is a long ton, or a metric ton (2200 pounds), then this would amount to slightly under 7000 pounds of back thrust, assuming the cartridge failed to obturate and cling to the chamber wall. Even a receiver weakened as described, or one weakened by cutting a dovetail in the receiver ring for the purpose of scope mounting, could probably withstand that kind of treatment with no problem, but I feel confident that none of these arrangements would even be accepted for proof testing in Germany, let alone pass proof.

Isn't the proof in the UK and Germany the same ?

so if it passes in the UK, it would pass in Germany ?

xausa
.400 member

#157344 - 24/03/10 10:20 PM

I didn't say it wouldn't pass proof. I said that it wouldn't be accepted for proof testing. The German contributors would know better about this.

500Nitro
.450 member

#157348 - 24/03/10 10:54 PM

Quote:

I didn't say it wouldn't pass proof. I said that it wouldn't be accepted for proof testing. The German contributors would know better about this.

Mine was more a generic question as opposed to a criticism.

I thought if you paid the money, the proof house would proof a gun and it's your problem if it blows up ?

justcurious
.333 member

#157356 - 24/03/10 11:42 PM

By todays standards proofing in Germany and the UK follows the same rules.Besides measuring and general inspection the proof loads are 30 % higher than the standard max. pressure of a given cartridge.
Passing the proof succesfully is the whole procedure and not only the result of the pressure test.
Certainly they will put in a pressure load and fire on your behalf . But even if it doesn´t blow up and they have general objections they will not mak it as "proofed".

@Huvius
The pressure test load is still a slim lady in my analogy. The fat man is a case of accidental high pressure(that may exceed proof-loads by far) and following Murphys law , shit happens.

I have to admit that there are many .318 WR rifles around working without fuss and maybe that they withstand the test of the time.

Me too I am playing around with some old mauser rifles having the front receiver ring cut for scope mounting bases (done at least more than 100.000 times on the continent).
But I know about the weakness of the actions so treated.
If someone pointed to that feature I certainly wouldn´t react like a proud mother of an otherwise pretty baby , being told that her baby is cross-eyed.

@ Xausa
Rumor is , even here in Germany that proof houses will principally reject rifles with cut front receiver rings.
Fact is it depends on the depth of the cutting and the cosen cartridge.
A few weeks ago my Ersatzsquarebridge Mauser (formerly 8x57 / now 9,3x57) with cut front receiver ring for the front mounting base succesfully returned from the proof house.
If I had chosen a magnum cartridge (for whatever reason) they would have rejected as I was told.

xausa
.400 member

#157360 - 25/03/10 12:22 AM

Justcurious,

Thanks for your illuminating remarks about German/British proof testing.

In looking over used guns and internet auction sites I frequently come across Mausers with cut receiver rings. Some of the dovetail cuts are almost superficial, and leave metal at the bottom of the cut, while others go all the way into the locking lug recesses. Which category did your 9,3X57 fall into?

Two of my Type S Mausers have saddles soldered onto the receiver ring with dovetails to accomodate the SEM base, so the receiver ring itself is untouched. I have seen other arrangements with the base for the female dovetail mounted out on the barrel. It's a shame that these options were not more widely used.

justcurious
.333 member

#157368 - 25/03/10 02:05 AM

Action/rifle before rebarrelling.

As a rule of thumb the max. depth of the cut should be no more than 2,3 mm (Standard length, large ring action).
If you can look into the action or the barrel threads are to be seen /after removing the plate it is nothing more than a wall hanger or a sample for a collector.

Edited by CptCurl (29/03/10 10:13 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 33 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 22561

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com