Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Excess baggage from Au to SA $

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
Excess baggage from Au to SA $
      #149093 - 30/12/09 12:58 PM

For Australians.
Just booked my flight to Africa the other day and found that if one knows they will be flying with extra weight then you can pree book at $175 for 5kgs or $300 for 10kgs. Otherwise you could take a chance at $50plus per kg.
Also, flights direct from Syd to Jo'burg are always Quantas QF63. Even if you book via SA Air.
Direct from Perth is a SA flight, even if booked through Quantas.
Note; SA Air are more stringent on excess baggage.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
MarkR
.333 member

Reged: 29/07/07
Loc: NW Vic. Australia
Re: Excess baggage from Au to SA $ [Re: ozhunter]
      #149099 - 30/12/09 03:08 PM

Good advice.

Virgin International are now flying Melbourne - Jo'burg Or at least they will be early next year.

Cheers,
Mark

tophet1
.400 member

Reged: 15/09/07
Loc: NSW, Australia
Re: Excess baggage from Au to SA $ [Re: MarkR]
      #149104 - 30/12/09 07:00 PM

I was lucky flying over in June. Was 3kg over and only got stung coming back. A$150 gone into the coffers at OT.

That's a good tip and Thx.

Edit: I dumped clothes and ammo over there but the curios and two bottles of Pinotage for the bride put me back up. Damit.

Edited by tophet1 (30/12/09 07:03 PM)

Paul
.400 member

Reged: 28/08/07
Loc: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Re: Excess baggage from Au to SA $ [Re: tophet1]
      #149119 - 31/12/09 01:56 AM

My obsession with weight made no sense considering the cost of the safari but I managed to pay no excess anywhere (Aug-Sept).

I ditched all sorts of stuff coming back, applying the test: does the item's value exceed $50 per Kg pro rata? An extra deodorant, paperbacks and canvas boots failed the test, among other things. With rifles and ammo making 18kg, wheeled luggage never got a look in - wheels and frames add a lot of weight.

Edited by Paul (31/12/09 01:58 AM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #149211 - 01/01/10 03:44 AM

Quote:

For Australians.
Just booked my flight to Africa the other day and found that if one knows they will be flying with extra weight then you can pree book at $175 for 5kgs or $300 for 10kgs. Otherwise you could take a chance at $50plus per kg.
Also, flights direct from Syd to Jo'burg are always Quantas QF63. Even if you book via SA Air.
Direct from Perth is a SA flight, even if booked through Quantas.
Note; SA Air are more stringent on excess baggage.

On my 2006 trip I got hit with a huge excess bill by SAA. They charged for every KG over 20 kg and even included hand luggage on the way over. Not happy!

I would not fly Adelaide Perth Joburg again because I would have to use SAA. Instead fly Adelaide Sydney Joburg so I could fly QANTAS whom might be a little more sensible.

I had two double rifles, plus NE ammo, plus camera gear and it all added up. Difficult to take more than one rifle with the way they charge for excess luggage nowadays.

Pre-buying extra luggage allowance sounds like a good idea.

I plan to fly SAA as little as possible in the future.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

shakari
.400 member

Reged: 09/02/03
Loc: South Africa
Re: Excess baggage from Au to SA $ [Re: NitroX]
      #149244 - 01/01/10 05:34 PM

What with ever tightening security and ever increasing excess baggage charges, I can see a time where a lot of guys will hire rifles and even buy a lot of their hunting clothes when they get here and dump 'em on the staff when they leave.

I'm sure the double guys like John will still want their own rifles but I reckon a lot of the bolt guys will find it easier to hire from camp

BTW, I watched the Aussie New Year fireworks display last night...... you guys sure know how to throw a party!

Happy New Year!

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
Kuduland Safaris (Africa) Ltd
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

Edited by shakari (01/01/10 05:39 PM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Excess baggage from Au to SA $ [Re: shakari]
      #149256 - 02/01/10 02:36 AM

Quote:

... but I reckon a lot of the bolt guys will find it easier to hire from camp

Also often known as the "lucky dip" ....

Using a "camp rifle" or borrowing one really involves an element of "gambling" by the client, unless they have used the outfitter before and know their standards.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

shakari
.400 member

#149271 - 02/01/10 04:54 AM

No doubt some of the less classy operations will have to improve the standards of their loaner rifles but nevertheless, I can see a time when it'll be very common for those things I mentioned will happen.

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

tophet1
.400 member

#149314 - 02/01/10 07:12 PM

The thought of buying and then dumping clothing has crossed my mind but I'll always want to take my own rifles.

I've never worried with knives, laser range finders, expensive binos or similar items, they are what I expect my daily rate will cover if they are needed.

I guess the once in a life time tourist hunters will rent. The thought of not being familiar with a rifle does not appeal.

shakari
.400 member

#149319 - 02/01/10 09:59 PM

You know with a bit of thought, the outfitter or even a separate company could take all your measurements and then put together a bag of cheapish cotton shirts, trousers/shorts, socks & a jumper etc and either send it to the outfitter in advance or your arrival or meet you at the airport to hand it over personally...... think of all the money you'd save on excess baggage fees and then you just leave it with the staff afterwards.

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#149325 - 02/01/10 11:15 PM

"Loaner rifles", they are always "fantastic" until you see them! Then you are glad you brought your own!

I loaded an 8x68S M98 from Karl Stumpfe and all of his rifles were fine.

Also a Rem 700 416 from Paul Frodsham and it was OK to use.

However both of these rifles were their personal rifles.

Seen a few shockers including DG rifles that jammed, had scopes on terribly crooked, looked like used fence posts etc

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#149326 - 02/01/10 11:17 PM

Quote:

You know with a bit of thought, the outfitter or even a separate company could take all your measurements and then put together a bag of cheapish cotton shirts, trousers/shorts, socks & a jumper etc and either send it to the outfitter in advance or your arrival or meet you at the airport to hand it over personally...... think of all the money you'd save on excess baggage fees and then you just leave it with the staff afterwards.

Why not just use the postal system to send stuff over and also back again. Much cheaper. Have done that dozens of times when travelling around the world, sending stuff home by post before flying home, or the next leg of a trip.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

shakari
.400 member

#149331 - 03/01/10 02:20 AM

John,

Regarding the rifles, it all depends on the company. Our ones are .404 Jeffery custom built by Sabi Rifles with mercury tube recoil arrestor and Swarovski 1.5-6 and QD mounts.... but like you, I've also seen some real crap... and it's those companies that don't have decent rifles that will need to improve, but the way air travel is going, I can see (decent quality) loaners becoming increasingly popular.

Regarding clothes... post is another option but postal theft is a problem in Africa and sending by courier is expensive. You can buy a cotton T shirt here for US$2-3 so in some ways it's hardly worth the postage and hassle.

Incredible how air travel has changed over the years. It wasn't that long ago you could sweet talk the check in girls and get the fees waived, but not anymore I'm afraid.

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

MarkR
.333 member

Reged: 29/07/07
Loc: NW Vic. Australia
      #149358 - 03/01/10 11:11 AM

I posted a bag of winter hunting clothes to British Columbia 2 years ago and it cost me 80 bucks, decided to try my luck coming home and it cost me $262-00 excess baggage .

Cheers,
Mark.

HuntingSchneider
.333 member

Reged: 02/04/06
Loc: Tamworth, NSW
Re: Excess baggage from Au to SA $ [Re: MarkR]
      #149390 - 03/01/10 07:44 PM

I have never had to pay excess luggage fees. But I have had a "discussion" with the person at the checkout counter at times.

Coming back from Namibia in '05, my hunting companion and I had a total of 88kg of luggage (3 guns, camera gear and wooden curios). The lady at the checkout counter was at first insistant that we pay extra. But with some eye fluttering mixed with puppy dog eyes we managed to get out of it. However, my pelican case with 2 guns didn't arrive when we did. It turned up several days later.

Since then we have tried much harder to keep the weight down, but this is very difficult for a 6-8 week stay. Especially with with a couple of guns and a lot of camera equipment.

--------------------
Liberals, stealing firearms since '96.
Steal one firearm, you're a thief. Steal a million, you're a Prime Minister.

Paul
.400 member

Reged: 28/08/07
Loc: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Re: Excess baggage from Au to SA $ [Re: HuntingSchneider]
      #149403 - 04/01/10 01:27 AM

I can see these costs worry others as much as they did me, so I'll bore you with some more hints, hopefully not all the bleeding obvious.

Instead of a 24lb Pelican case, I got a Guardforce single-rifle case, ripped out the heavy moulding and replaced it with flat foam. This reduced the weight to about 14 pounds and gave room for two rifles, one with a scope. The foam was lighter than substituting soft bags for day use - I borrowed those and a defensive knife from the PH.

A light aluminium CD box became the metal case SAA wanted for ammo - cost: $17. I would have bought the ammo in RSA but it was cheaper to bring from home - even as excess baggage - esp. when handloaded. Some of the case's pop-rivets gave way in SA but we replaced them with small bolts, nuts and spring washers. I was allowed to put the case in my clothes bag, anyway, but if someone wants your stuff badly enough, they'll get it.

Close reading of the airline rules showed a number of things could be carried on as well as your 7kg cabin baggage. So, I stuffed the large pockets of my cotton army jacket with books and magazines, small camera and small binos. The latter could have been slung around my neck, instead. With only about 4kg spare in my stowed luggage after the hardware, I put as many clothes as possible into the cabin bag but tried to make them things I might legitimately use during the flight, just in case anyone read the website.

Booze bought in airport duty-frees was not weighed, of course, but with fuel prices and terrorist worries, I can see this changing. Stroh OP rum was the only bargain I saw in JB airport but why they let us carry it in a plane cabin beats me. Even Amarula could be dangerous if the bottle's broken.

Knowing camp staff would wash my clothes daily, I only took three changes and a couple of light skivvies (not that I needed them or the jacket in Moz). Trousers with zip-off legs did instead of shorts - though the sun-bleached tops don't match the bottoms now.

I wore boots on to the plane, then changed to flip-flops (who says we don't speak English?). Then bought some Courteneys in JB and left the canvas ones behind at the end, along with magazines, easily found s/h books and stuff I'd never need again, to make way for an ebony lion's head etc.

A bare minimum of consumables was taken over, for airline reasons and because I had time to buy toothpaste, batteries etc there. RSA supermarkets seemed pretty good but Mozambique less so. Avon Skin So Soft repellent (for tsetse flies) may be worth the weight if your PH is short of it, though.

Weighing all this stuff, along with presents and the light bags, individually on kitchen scales and together in the bathroom, I was still under the 23+7kg allowed, so threw in a pair of shoes. I was flying on a Qantas ticket and, although SAA may have slightly different rules, they accepted the Aussie allowances.

On the conveyor at Tullamarine, I was 1kg under - dang, shoulda brought heavier rifles.

If money is no object to you, all this might seem a waste of time, but it could also save you missing a connection. With the time taken to process my rifles in Perth I only just got the plane to Africa as it was - hassles over luggage weight would have been the last straw.

Happy hunting
- Paul

ozhunter
.400 member

Re: Excess baggage from Au to SA $ [Re: Paul]
      #149435 - 04/01/10 12:04 PM

On flights from Sydney to JB via Perth you must also be prepared for rifles to go through customs in PERTH as the Syd to Perth flight is a Domestic flight (often there is only two hours between these flights) .
To further reduce weight I also buy my Toiletry's, Battery's, Drink etc in the last Airport before the flight.
This is often at Jo'Burg Airport on the way to Zim etc. Jo'Burg international has quite a good Duty Free section.
Most of the time you will have a few kgs tolerance before the charge, but not always.
NOTE; At Perth you WILL have your hand luggage weighed (by Nazis) and if over weight you will be told to check in the excess.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#149601 - 06/01/10 02:51 PM

Quote:

On flights from Sydney to JB via Perth you must also be prepared for rifles to go through customs in PERTH as the Syd to Perth flight is a Domestic flight (often there is only two hours between these flights) .

In the past I thought the Qantas Sydney to Jo'burg flight was non-stop Sydney to Jo'burg? Do they now stopover in Perth?

ie in the past buying a flight, Perth to Jo'burg even if tickted as Qantas was SAA. Buying a Qantas Sydney to Jo'burg flight was Qantas and did not stop over in Perth. I know as I had to fly only SAA if flying to Perth.

Changed?

Ozhunter,

BTW How did Air Mauritius perform?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

tophet1
.400 member

Re: Excess baggage from Au to SA $ [Re: HuntingSchneider]
      #149608 - 06/01/10 03:11 PM

Quote:

with some eye fluttering mixed with puppy dog eyes we managed to get out of it.

Welcome to Nitro Express. Somehow you makeing puppy dog eyes and fluttering eyebrows is all wrong on so many levels. (stir)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#149610 - 06/01/10 03:15 PM

I know of some gentlemen hunting in Zimbabwe a few years ago whom managed to talk the airline into letting them take a good sized winch onto the flight free of baggage charges. A farmer asked them to bring one over as a "gift". They were doing DIY safaris on auctioned concessions but the farmer supplied the logistics, ie vehicles, camping gear, staff plus hunted as well.

They claimed the winch was to be used for a community aid project to either draw water from a well or help dig it.

Naughty but it worked.

Doubt it would work today.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

ozhunter
.400 member

#151046 - 18/01/10 06:28 PM

Have just found in SAA Web sight that Firearms ARE in fact classified as "Sporting Goods", thus allowing you an add 20kgs.
A win for the oldest sport!

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#151070 - 19/01/10 02:42 AM

Quote:

Have just found in SAA Web sight that Firearms ARE in fact classified as "Sporting Goods", thus allowing you an add 20kgs.
A win for the oldest sport!

Can you post a link to it. I think that is something one definitely needs to have printed on hand when travelling.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

ozhunter
.400 member

#151149 - 19/01/10 04:30 PM

Absolutely

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 37 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3724

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com