Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Muzzleloading Rifle with paper patches bullets

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Paradox and Bore Guns

Pages: 1
msheik
.224 member

Reged: 02/05/09
Loc: Oklahoma
Muzzleloading Rifle with paper patches bullets
      #144005 - 20/10/09 11:23 AM

Got a question. Is it possible to use a paper patched bullet and lube it with something like alox and use it instead of a ball and patch? I'm thinking about using this in an 8 bore muzzleloader? Any thoughts? My main concern is that starting the bullet might tear up the paper. Just wondering if this will work.

Thanks guys

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Muzzleloading Rifle with paper patches bullets [Re: msheik]
      #144012 - 20/10/09 01:27 PM

With BP - you have to use a black powder lube. alox will not soften BP fouling. I definitely would not use one of the fake BP's in an 8 bore. The percolates like Prodex, with short shelf life after opening and corroding of barrels, they are just bad news. T-7 might have pressure problems in an 8 bore - unknown territory for me - I wouldn't do it.
I would not even consider using a conical. Round balls will kill anything on this world. A conical will render the gun less efficient on game - as Samuel Baker found and reported.
Now, I was taling aobut a grooved properly lubricatd conical. A paper patched bullet is something else again. It would work if - you cleaned the bore between shots and IF you used wads between the powder and the paper patch. The paper would tear when loading as it, the bullet, must be slightly engraving the lands slightly when loading. If not, it wills lide back out towards the muzzle and present an obstruction, rather than a projectile when the gun is fired - reslut is a blown up gun and perhaps loss of a hand - eye or something even more serious - your life.

Stick with cloth patched balls and join the learning curve - learning what lubes it takes to keep shooting all day without having to wipe the gun. Learning what patch and ball size to use for accuracy.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  tinker 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2403

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com