Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Getting my guns to Zimbabwe

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
Northern
.224 member

Reged: 23/04/05
Loc: Alberta Canada
Getting my guns to Zimbabwe
      #143815 - 17/10/09 12:40 AM

Making my 3ard trip to Africa in April. A PAC Elephant in Zimbabwe. The past 2 trips were bowhunts, I want to take my 375 on this trip.

I’m from Canada. Anyone have any advise on getting my guns to Zimbabwe?

Thanks,
Darrin

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
Re: Getting my guns to Zimbabwe [Re: Northern]
      #143819 - 17/10/09 03:09 AM

Avoid flying through Britain for sure, and probably also the US. Maybe you could fly from Canada to the Netherlands or France, then on to JoBerg then to Harare. At Harare you will have no trouble getting your guns in. But getting them through the US or Britain could be a headache.

CanuckAB
.224 member

Reged: 16/01/06
Loc: Alberta
Re: Getting my guns to Zimbabwe [Re: 500grains]
      #147292 - 06/12/09 04:03 AM

Northern,
You hsve a few options. One is Amsterdam to joberg as 500grains said also there is Emerites- Toronto to Dubai to joberg and then to Harare. Make sure you have your temp export permit from Canada and dutch consent for Amsterdam police. If you go by Dubai you will need to have Emerites contact the Dubai police to get preapproval. In april when I went to SA they wanted to see my Temp export permit at the SAPS office.

ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
Re: Getting my guns to Zimbabwe [Re: CanuckAB]
      #147313 - 06/12/09 09:51 AM

I will be doing the same hunt as you in April and my advise is not to book direct through Jo burg but to re check in to "minimize" lost luggage.
Which area are you hunting?

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Getting my guns to Zimbabwe [Re: ozhunter]
      #147314 - 06/12/09 09:53 AM

Quote:

I will be doing the same hunt as you in April and my advise is not to book direct through Jo burg but to re check in to "minimize" lost luggage.
Which area are you hunting?

Agree totally, Joberg can be a nightmare in gun handling..last year I had a connection through there..guns showed up 2 days later after I called my booking/travel agent who sent someone to the airport and saw my case just sitting there...idiots would be an extremely kind word to use..

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

John
.300 member

Reged: 23/01/07
Loc: Manitoba, Canada
Re: Getting my guns to Zimbabwe [Re: Ripp]
      #147355 - 07/12/09 03:59 AM

Darren
I made the same trip earlier this year, (my forth to Africa) based on my experience I would fly to Joberg via Europe, Holland or Germany would be preferable using British Airways or Lufthansa. I will not use Air France as they have some “Baggage Issues”! We hear bad things about landing in the UK, I have done this once with no problems, but I made sure my bags (Rifle) was booked through to Joberg and we had no lay over. If you spend your first night in Joberg it allows time for any lost bags to catch up with you. I can’t say enough good thinks about Afton House, if you spend a night in Joberg they will meet you at the Airport and take you back to catch your connection. My travel agent is in Manitoba and well experienced with booking flights for hunters going to Africa, I would be pleased to pass on her contact details if that will assist you. I was recently quoted a return ticket to Joberg for Feb/March 2010, leaving Winnipeg for $1,800.00 Canadian

Enjoy your Hunt, John.

ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
Re: Getting my guns to Zimbabwe [Re: John]
      #147391 - 07/12/09 04:59 PM

Spent about a dozen nights at Afton and also recommend them highly.
If flying through the UK do not have your Zim flight on the same ticket or due to their Arms embargo with Zim you may have your rifles confiscated.

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
Re: Getting my guns to Zimbabwe [Re: ozhunter]
      #147393 - 07/12/09 07:57 PM

I've used Afton in Joburg on advice of my PH, no probs at all, best, Mike (not the same in London !)

Saskguy
.224 member

Reged: 30/12/07
Loc: Canada
Re: Getting my guns to Zimbabwe [Re: Mike_Bailey]
      #147448 - 08/12/09 04:53 PM

How will the economic sanctions that Canada has in place against Zim. play now. I believe it includes an arms embargo

shakari
.400 member

Reged: 09/02/03
Loc: South Africa
Re: Getting my guns to Zimbabwe [Re: Saskguy]
      #147510 - 09/12/09 06:42 PM

It's isn't just the UK that has a firearms embargo to Zimbabwe, it's the entire EU...... but the UK tends to enforce that ban rather more strictly than the rest of the EU. However, as there is an EU wide ban, it's not impossible that an anti nunting check in agent etc anywhere in the EU could make life difficult for you if they think you're final destination is Zimbabwe.

My advice would be that if you're flying through ANY EU country, you have two sets of tickets. - One set to take you to RSA and another set to take you from RSA to Zim.

Also make a point of asking your travel agent to enter the fact that you're travelling with SPORTING FIREARMS (note that exact phrase) in the comments section of your booking and make sure to take a hard copy of that comment with you when you travel.

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
Kuduland Safaris (Africa) Ltd
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

albertan
.333 member

Reged: 13/06/06
Loc: Alberta, Canada
Re: Getting my guns to Zimbabwe [Re: shakari]
      #150238 - 11/01/10 05:43 PM

Go directly from Calgary to Frankfurt. From Frankfurt to JoBurg. From Joburg to where ever it is you are going to in Zimbabwe. Did this in 2006. The Air Canada rep liked hunters. Born of one, and married one. She told me to put my guns straight through, ahead of me. It worked. Carry plenty of small bills for African tips at the Air ports. Your PAL and facsimiles of your registration forms might come in handy.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 341 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3638

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com