Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Shuffling after buffalo, Take 2

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
Paul
.400 member

Reged: 28/08/07
Loc: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Shuffling after buffalo, Take 2
      #143176 - 05/10/09 08:30 PM

Sorry, but I seem to have lost the original thread. Have also lost my home computer (gone back to have a key replaced) but here are some pics at least of my recent trip to SA and Mozambique.

http://s561.photobucket.com/albums/ss55/paul_miles/

The blokes in the second pic are the PH, Jason van Aarde, and my forum mentor Steve (Shakari) Robinson, who was of great help getting the trip together. The others are more-or-less self-explanatory, except the shooting frame left over from last time. Nothing too big, but good enough for my humble living room. The buff was a gift from the elephants. More later.

- Paul

Edited by Paul (05/10/09 08:36 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
tophet1
.400 member

Reged: 15/09/07
Loc: NSW, Australia
Re: Shuffling after buffalo, Take 2 [Re: Paul]
      #143177 - 05/10/09 08:45 PM

Paul, welcome back. I can hardly wait to hear the full story.

Paul
.400 member

Re: Shuffling after buffalo, Take 2 [Re: tophet1]
      #143240 - 06/10/09 09:11 PM

Thanks Tophet1,
Well, I'm still a bit short of private computing time and wondering if I should write something for a hunting mag to help defray costs, but here goes.

After spending three days in Bethlehem with Jason and his wife, Michelle, the big road trip began about 3am. Jason and his off-sider, Tumo, drove the 3800km to Pemba, Moz, in three days. We rarely stopped because without safe compounds to protect the twin-cab. One place we did stop was for lunch in Nelspruit with Steve Robinson, who later took us to the massive Lifeform taxidermy concern for a look around.

After a couple of days in Pemba we drove the last seven hours into the M'tsewa hunting concession, maybe 150km south of the Tanzania border.

Hunting from a permanent camp each day, we followed buffalo around for almost a week. One day Estevao picked up the trail near the concession border. It took us out in a 10-15km loop and brought us back to the car around 4pm - very considerate, I thought. We stalked some bulls to about 100 metres on one occasion but Jason said the best one was still soft in the boss. The weather was dry enough but became increasingly humid as the month went on. It may only have got to about 35C but, day after day, tramping around or sitting in a closed hide, that was hot enough.

About the sixth day we found a track early and followed it until about 2.30pm when it became hard to follow where the nine animals had milled around for a while. We were heading down into a creek meander. The ground rose more steeply on the other side and the normally undaunted Jason and Estevao were thinking of turning around.

Across the creek an elephant trumpeted and then, around a bit, another one. Cracking sticks and bamboo could be heard a bit closer and Jason yelled 'Run!' - as you do when no one has an elephant licence and you don't want to be trampled or explain dead elephants.

So, we charged up the hill for about 60 metres before stopping to look back. But instead of grey heading our way, all we could see was black. It was not us the elephants were angry with but a herd of buffalo. Our nine buff had joined about 40 others, all running up the hill behind us. Most ran past on our right but a number of bulls stopped about 20 yards down the hill. Jason suggested I take the third one. This one had stopped with a front leg just behind a 10-centimetre-plus tree trunk as I aimed for a high-heart placement.

At the shot he jumped and ran around to the left. I fired again but he kept going. We could hear him breathing heavily as he disappeared.

We waited some time to let his adrenalin subside before following the easy blood trail.

Sorry guys, I've gotta go home. More later

- Paul

Edited by Paul (06/10/09 09:14 PM)

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #143243 - 06/10/09 11:53 PM

looks like a great hunt--congrats...

How big was that sable??
What caliber were you using?

thx
Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
      #143274 - 07/10/09 10:35 AM

My oh my! Those are some absolutely wonderful trophies! Well done!

Paul
.400 member

Re: Shuffling after buffalo, Take 2 [Re: mikeh416Rigby]
      #143341 - 08/10/09 07:09 PM

Thanks Ripp and Mike.
I'm still a bit squeezed for time, so I'll give the story the short back and sides.

The buff was standing in some bushes, looking back on his tracks when we found him. Taking no chances, Jason gave him three quick ones with his 458 Lott rather than trust the quietus to me. He is not the daggaboy I was hoping for but the 36" width will look big enough at my place. It seems the .450/.400 Hornady softpoint had hit the tree, expanded and come out at an angle, making a big hole in the lungs farther back.

We had to drive two hours for the sable but he was found after tracking for only about 400 yards. Hit high through the shoulder and angling back, the 300-grain Woodleigh softpoint from the 338 probably hit the spine - stopping him on the spot about 80-100 metres away. The horns only made 34.5 inches over the curve but, once again, should impress my hunting mates.

J didn't really expect to find an impala in that area when we returned a day or two later. Estevao, the tracker, saw the little prints and knew what they were but, when asked, said 'Giraffe'. Scott got out the 'black book' and showed him an impala, at which he nodded.

A few hundred metres along we saw a streak of red and J knew what that was. He disappeared but it wasn't long before we managed to get within less than 50 metres. Don't be deceived: I hit it in the shoulder but the 250-grain CoreLokt made such a splash that the exit hole was less gory. As you can see, the horns are about 17 inches long.

After a week of sitting and tracking, I also had a shot at a big kudu (maybe 55 inches) standing in a big clump of high buffalo grass about 150 metres away. Indifferent marksman that I am, I believe it was a good shot off Jason's human benchrest (he leans over, holding the two-pronged sticks; his back becoming a rest for your right elbow) and that the Remington semi-spitzer clipped a piece of grass or twig, causing it to plow into the ground yards in front.

He was seen again two days later, twice, but had got the message by that time and didn't hang around. Anyway, it was a great trip and now I have another reason to want to go back.

Cheers
- Paul

shakari
.400 member

Reged: 09/02/03
Loc: South Africa
      #143344 - 08/10/09 08:38 PM

I reckon they're trophies to be really proud of. You had a great adventure, hunted them in truly wild Africa, took them the right way with a true professional.

The Buff is a good representative of the species as are the other animals and the bases on that sable are bloody terrific.

What more could a man wish for!

As I type this, I realise that I've known Jason since he was a teenager and indeed the first client he ever took for a stalk was one of mine. I now consider him one of the finest Professional Hunters of his generation.

And mate, there's always a reason to go back!!!!!

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
Kuduland Safaris (Africa) Ltd
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

Edited by shakari (09/10/09 07:07 AM)

Paul
.400 member

Re: Shuffling after buffalo, Take 2 [Re: shakari]
      #143391 - 10/10/09 12:44 AM

Yes Steve,
Jason is a very competent PH. He really gets on with it and, with his tracker Estevao Binassi, amazed me with his ability to get up to game over fields of cornflakes.

I'd spent months reading about the trouble others have had negotiating African customs and police but, between Aubrey Kent, Jason and his wife, Michelle, and Jose dias Loureiro (the Mozambique concession holder), the whole trip went seamlessly. The days in the bush were long and hot but Jason kept an eye out not only for the perils of DG but dehydration and other health concerns. I guess those matters are all part of any PH's duty but I've heard of some that don't take them so seriously.

- Paul

shakari
.400 member

Reged: 09/02/03
Loc: South Africa
      #143392 - 10/10/09 01:06 AM

Yup, Jason surely is one of the best.

Did you get to meet Michelle's Dad, Tony T by any chance?

Tony is also a fine man and PH. When he worked for KZN parks board, he did all the bowhunting research and report for them. He first bowhunted 100 animals from smallest to biggest, then repeated the excercise with a rifle and then wrote up the findings and reccommendations etc.

While he was practicing for the bowhunting, he built up such a mass of upper body muscles he looked like Quasimodo.

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
Kuduland Safaris (Africa) Ltd
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

Paul
.400 member

Re: Shuffling after buffalo, Take 2 [Re: shakari]
      #143414 - 10/10/09 11:47 AM

No Steve,
Tony was busy somewhere else. I heard lots about him, though.

- Paul

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 146 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3659

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com