Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Best DG Scope?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
AlaskanPH
.224 member

Reged: 31/03/04
Loc: Alaska
Re: Best DG Scope? [Re: cr500]
      #15625 - 08/06/04 02:35 PM

I have a Schmidt & Bender 1.5 x 6 x42 Illuminated Reticle Scope on my .416 Remington and I absolutely love it and have used the illuminated reticle a number of times, both here in Alaska and in Africa and have found it, and the Schmidt & Bender scope in general, to be worth the extra money!

When I purchased this scope four or five years ago, Schmidt & Bender were the first to offer an illuminated reticle and that is one of the major reasons I ordered it but now many other scope makers offer illuminated reticles and though they add extra money to the price of the scope, for hunting dangerous game in low light they more than pay for themselves.

I have shot hundreds of rounds through my .416 with this scope and have never had any problems, even though in general it is not a particularily small scope and it has a rather large objective lens for a DG scope (42mm), which is excellent during low light conditions, and the illuminated recticle is varible so I can control the intensity of the illuminated reticle. At around US$1,500 it may not be necessary for everyone but for a person that makes their living backing up wounded animals in low light and/or thick conditions, I feel it is worth it and would recommend them to anyone.

Alaskan PH

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
AlaskanPH
.224 member

Reged: 31/03/04
Loc: Alaska
Re: Best DG Scope? [Re: AlaskanPH]
      #15627 - 08/06/04 02:41 PM

By the way, spending the extra money on really good detachable scope mounts is important in heavy caliber dangerous game rifles and I use EAW mounts (made in Germany) on my .416 and not only do they hold the scope very firmly but when detached, they return it to zero everytime. Many of my European clients that use these same mounts actually carry the detached scope in a special pocket in their day backpacks when hunting and then put it on if time and circumstances allow.

Alaskan PH

canada
.275 member

Reged: 09/05/04
Loc: Northern Ontario Canada
OIGEE Scope [Re: AlaskanPH]
      #15644 - 09/06/04 08:16 AM

I have a 2 1/2 power scope marked OIGEE LUXOR made in Germany. Does anyone have any information about these scopes.

Harry
.224 member

Reged: 02/03/04
Loc: Texas
Re: Best DG Scope? [Re: Rustbucket]
      #15651 - 09/06/04 09:44 AM

Most scopes going to Africa (on big bore guns I sell or fix for clients) sport the following.
Fixed 2.5
!.5 to 5 x 20
1.75 to 6 x 32
2.5 to 8
Yes, I know there are tons of 3 x 9's and even bigger variables going but I also know that you want a scope that is close to the bore line of the barrel. You don't need real high end power in Africa near as much as you need field of view and...if the scope is available in the 4A or hvy. duplex reticle I put that on too. I love the 2.5 to 8 with the 4A reticle from Premier. This is a small scope that mounts low, big field of view and still plenty top end. Easy to get on a moving target fast and still easy to shoot something like a P dog if necessary as you have plenty of fine crosshair in the middle.
I do not like detachable rings as I see no reason to take a scope off unless you have damange to it. Then I take the proper wrench or screwdriver that I have with me in camp or my truck kit and take it off.
As to brands that I see going....Leupold is #1 with the assorted European scopes next.

--------------------
You can borrow money but you can not borrow time. Go hunting with your family.

Edited by Harry (09/06/04 09:45 AM)

luv2safari
.400 member

Reged: 09/11/03
Loc: United States
Re: Best DG Scope? [Re: cr500]
      #15708 - 11/06/04 09:52 AM

cr,

I understand that the 458 Lott is eating up any variable and that the fixed 2.5X Loopy compact is about all that holds up with the Lott under it. This just comes from reading the latest "Rifle" magazine...good article on scope durability.

Rifle does tend to slant toward their advertisers heavily, however.

--------------------
Hunt with Class and Classics

luv2safari
.400 member

Reged: 09/11/03
Loc: United States
Re: OIGEE Scope [Re: canada]
      #15709 - 11/06/04 10:03 AM

Canada,

The Oigee was made in Berlin prior to WWI. Some were used as sniper scopes during that war. Many of these like the Oigee, Gerard, Goerz, R. Fuess...were used as sniper scopes, then were put on drillings and other combination guns between the wars.

Many had a fixed focus that had to be adjusted by diss-assembling the scope somewhat.

--------------------
Hunt with Class and Classics

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 432 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 8660

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com