Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: New Holland & Holland Single Shot Rifle

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Single Shots & Combination Guns

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: New Holland & Holland Single Shot Rifle [Re: Mike_Bailey]
      #170284 - 26/10/10 05:58 AM

Quote:

Weīll have to see how mine turns out General, getting towards the engraving stage now. I didnīt know Holland ever made a single shot on the Ruger action ? best, mike

I'm sure it will be stunning Mike. H&H never offered per-say as a catalog gun, but when customers wanted a single shot they were generally made on a Ruger #1 action platform. Now they have switched to the Hagn which was an excellent move. Still, the Ruger actioned H&H guns have gone for big money in the past. though not many exist.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
Re: New Holland & Holland Single Shot Rifle [Re: ]
      #170293 - 26/10/10 07:50 AM

I have never heard of one ! I thought the last single shot they made was in the thirties ! Must research that a bit. Learn something new every day. What is happening with the Martini Hagn action, I hear they have gone separate ways ?, best, Mike

Anonymous
Unregistered

#170300 - 26/10/10 10:14 AM

Quote:

I have never heard of one ! I thought the last single shot they made was in the thirties ! Must research that a bit. Learn something new every day. What is happening with the Martini Hagn action, I hear they have gone separate ways ?, best, Mike

As you know H&H is a bespoke maker, so come with money and they will make it.

Ralf Martini has indeed separated from his long time partner Martin Hagn I believe in 2007, they both however still produce guns made to order. Ralf was Martins apprentice, not sure why they split. In my view the best single shot action next to an original Fraser 1880 or George Gibbs Farquharson is also a favorite of mine.

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Re: New Holland & Holland Single Shot Rifle [Re: ]
      #170317 - 26/10/10 05:57 PM

General, was in NY a couple of weeks ago for a meeting, visited Holland place, my word they have a pair of cased Howdahs in there you should see, Iīd have them in a moment but unfortunately not for sale best, Mike

Grenadier
.375 member

Reged: 20/02/08
Loc: North of the Columbia, USA
      #170321 - 26/10/10 10:39 PM

Quote:

I didnīt know Holland ever made a single shot on the Ruger action ? best, mike

Mike - I had an H&H single shot built on a Ruger action. It was chambered in 7mm Mag, had long sight blocks, the H&H detachable scope mounts, nice wood, and engraving by Lynton McKenzie. There was no name anywhere on the action, not Holland's, not Ruger's. I don't remember the exact verbiage but the barrel was marked with something like, "Barreled, Stocked, Sighted, and Finished by Holland & Holland". What does that leave? It was the best rifle I have ever seen built on the No. 1 action. It was a nice looking rifle that was well executed but the stock fit was all wrong for me. After I had it a while and shot it a bit I decided that it wasn't quite what I wanted. So, I ordered the new single shot. The new rifle is in a different class.

--------------------
~

Edited by CptCurl (27/10/10 10:42 PM)

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Re: New Holland & Holland Single Shot Rifle [Re: Grenadier]
      #170329 - 27/10/10 02:16 AM

Grenadier, nice looking rifle, can I ask you what it cost ? PM me if you prefer,
best, Mike

kamilaroi
.400 member

Reged: 18/12/04
Loc: sydney, new south wales, Austr...
      #170370 - 27/10/10 11:02 AM

I think they were talking abt the same as a bolt gun at the time (1985?)

CWJ1898
.275 member

Reged: 28/01/09
Loc: LA, USA
Re: New Holland & Holland Single Shot Rifle [Re: JabaliHunter]
      #171814 - 21/11/10 01:35 PM

Grenadier,
Thank you, with Christmas right around the corner I have revised my list- I know what to ask for now! Beautiful concept and there has always been high praise for the Hagn. It has been a mystery to me why the London makers are not offering any Farqharson patterns? At this time the only completely finished Farqharsons I know of are coming out of Michigan (Ballard) and Soroka (New Zealand). Seems to me it is high time they make such an effort. In regard to the state of the Holland and Holland workbench, I find it as it should be, the best work comes from a cluttered and scared wooden bench- in this state there is never any question that work has been done there! But I digress, enjoy your work of art!
Best Regards

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: New Holland & Holland Single Shot Rifle [Re: Grenadier]
      #175037 - 07/02/11 02:33 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Very nice, indeed. Any photos of the finished product, yet?

There are more pictures here including one that gives a close look at the safety that DPhillips
was talking about: http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=0&Number=151399&page=0

Damn that guns is nice!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Huvius 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 30264

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com