Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Hunting Mozambique

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
Paul
.400 member

Reged: 28/08/07
Loc: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Hunting Mozambique
      #132039 - 11/04/09 03:56 PM

I have finally booked that African hunt, in case anyone is interested: 14 days in Cabo del Gado, Moz. with Tomkinson's Jason van Aarde in early September, hunting buff, sable and kudu.

Also, my Heym 88PH .450/.400 has lobbed, albeit two months late. Innocent of engraving, at least it has reasonable wood. It shoots to point with Hornady ammo and has less felt recoil than my 338 Sako, which weighs almost as much. The only trouble so far is that the forend is extremely hard to get back on, possibly because of the wood expanding in the warmer Australian weather. Hopefully it won't have to go back to Germany to get fixed.

Another thing I'm not happy about is the spares. Hearing of disastrous breakages on safari, I asked about getting two mainsprings and replacement tumblers (thinking that boxlocks still had strikers as part of the tumblers). Yes, they said, but they will cost $A700 (c. $US500). I took a deep breath and said OK.

When the rifle arrived the parts turned out to be two sidelock-type strikers with two helical return springs and two locating pins. OK, it's good to see separate strikers, expecially since this puts the tumbler axle back far enough not to threaten strength at the action angle. And yes, their diagram shows Heym use compression coil springs located with shafts so that, even if broken, they would would always work to some extent, so I probably don't need those spares.

That said, $700 for bits that can basically be turned out by robot lathes is a bit rich IMHO.

Cheers
- Paul

Edited by Paul (11/04/09 03:57 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Hunting Mozambique [Re: Paul]
      #132059 - 11/04/09 11:01 PM

Paul

Congrats on your hunt---should be great--I hear some areas of Moz. are really coming around...

As to $700 for 2 springs does seem a bit excessive...think they feel, if one is spending thousands on a firearm, another $700 will be no big deal...but if this recession keeps on...this to shall change...

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Paul
.400 member

Reged: 28/08/07
Loc: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Re: Hunting Mozambique [Re: Ripp]
      #132069 - 12/04/09 12:10 AM

Thanks Ripp,
I'm sure H&H wouldn't stoop to such a lowly price.

Regarding Moz, yes, I have great hopes. But nothing is ever in the bag until it's in the bag and that's what makes hunting the great quest it is. Even finding the PH was an adventure. I could have taken a couple of wrong turns there, too, but for Shakari's wise counsel.

- Paul

DoubleD
.400 member

Reged: 23/11/03
Loc: Retired in Oklahoma
      #132070 - 12/04/09 12:25 AM

good luck on that hunt and enjoy...

The high cost of the parts! Some years ago I was at the S.H.O.T. show and stopped by the Sig Sauer booth. The were talking about their then new CNC equipment they for making their handguns. They were promoting how this new equipment speeded up production, increased quality and reduced production cost. So I had to ask, does that mean the cost of their guns was going to be reduced? With a very serious look on his face and in his thick German accent he said, "No, this is a German Gun and everyone expects to pay more."

--------------------
DD, Ret.

ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
Re: Hunting Mozambique [Re: DoubleD]
      #132071 - 12/04/09 12:38 AM

It sounds like a similar experience I had with a "High end" item the other day. Quote of $2600 to over haul a Rolex. Bugger me!!
Northern Moz can produce mixed results, but in the end it will be an interesting Safari.

DuggaBoy
.300 member

Reged: 03/03/09
Loc: Tx
      #132076 - 12/04/09 01:38 AM

Tony or Jason will take good care of you.
Enjoy the hunt , if not the preparations!

--------------------
DuggaBoy
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DSC

shakari
.400 member

Reged: 09/02/03
Loc: South Africa
Re: Hunting Mozambique [Re: DuggaBoy]
      #132187 - 13/04/09 09:11 PM

I consider Jason one of the best PHs of his generation. Right up there with Wikus Groenawald and Clinton van Tonder who both operate (mostly) in Tanzania and I'm happy to say I consider all 3 good friends........ although Clinton makes me feel sooooooo bloody old when he calls me Uncle Steve!

It seems an ago now, but I well remember meeting Jason when he was about 18 or 19 and I gave him his first run with an overseas client and he came back with a very fine impala and a very happy client.

Paul,

I was glad to be able to help.

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
Kuduland Safaris (Africa) Ltd
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 119 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2191

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com