Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Terminal Ballistics on Eland.

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
tophet1
.400 member

Reged: 15/09/07
Loc: NSW, Australia
Terminal Ballistics on Eland.
      #131582 - 06/04/09 09:57 AM

I have had outstanding sub MOA performance in my 9.3x62 with the Nosler 250 Accubond projectile all the way out to 300 yards @ 2,642 fps.

Do you think that projectile would be tough enough for Mature Eland at <100 yards ? or should I stick with Woodleigh 286 Protected Points ?

500Nitro and Ozhunter, I know what your answers would be. I'd like to see what everyone else has to say.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Terminal Ballistics on Eland. [Re: tophet1]
      #131583 - 06/04/09 10:28 AM

Quote:

I have had outstanding sub MOA performance in my 9.3x62 with the Nosler 250 Accubond projectile all the way out to 300 yards @ 2,642 fps.

Do you think that projectile would be tough enough for Mature Eland at <100 yards ? or should I stick with Woodleigh 286 Protected Points ?

500Nitro and Ozhunter, I know what your answers would be. I'd like to see what everyone else has to say.

Let me save you a lot of trouble -stay with the Woodleigh...

Have used the Accubonds on several species..have never been that impressed ..

Used them first on one of my first trips to Africa out of my 300 Ultra mag--180gr--at around 3370 fps..poor penetration on the bigger stuff--waterbuck and kudu---and very violent and explosive on impala..too much speed for the bullet...

Have used them out of my .280 shooting 140's at around 3000 fps--worked fine on mule deer..and there in is, what I believe, is the nitch for Accubonds..if you use them go heavy for caliber and keep the velocity under 3000 fps--they will work "o.k."...BUT personally I would NEVER use them on Eland--there are so many better bullets out there for that..why risk it??

If you wanted a polymer tipped bullet, IMHO, you would be much better served to go with the scirroco..as I believe it is suppose to retain around 80% of its weight versus 65 to 70 for the Accubonds..--but still would much prefer to use a A-frame or Barnes XXX or Woodleigh instead of either of those on Eland..

Eland are verg large--around 2000 lbs compared to a cape buff around 1500...The last one I shot last year was at about 75 yards--again 300 Ultra--but this time using 200gr A-Frames...eland went about 40 yards and tipped over..DEAD...bullet traveled to just under the skin on the opposite side and retained 92% of its weight...with a perfect mushroom...

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Terminal Ballistics on Eland. [Re: Ripp]
      #131590 - 06/04/09 11:19 AM

Excellent terminal ballistic detail, Ripp.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

tophet1
.400 member

Reged: 15/09/07
Loc: NSW, Australia
Re: Terminal Ballistics on Eland. [Re: Ripp]
      #131591 - 06/04/09 11:20 AM

Thx Ripp. Your velocities are certainly 'up there' but I was sought of expecting that answer. Just wanted to check with those more experienced than I.

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Terminal Ballistics on Eland. [Re: tophet1]
      #131600 - 06/04/09 12:40 PM

Very interesting stuff.

Thanks for the info RIPP.

You are obviously a Bullet Digger!

180 @ 3300+. Wow.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

JPK
.375 member

Reged: 31/08/04
Loc: Chevy Chase, MD
Re: Terminal Ballistics on Eland. [Re: 9.3x57]
      #131669 - 07/04/09 01:55 AM

Eland are big! And can be tough too. I think your choice would work fine, but I would opt for the 286gr PP's to allow for more fexibility regarding shot angles. But the terrain and other game you will hunt might have me back thinking about the 250 grainer.

I killed the one and only eland I've shot with a 300gr Trophy Bonded Bearclaw at about 2500fps out of a 375H&H. It was a frontal shot at about 75yds and because of some intervening brush, I couldn't go as low as I would have preferred. The bullet hit him center and spined him. The recovered bullet still looked like it belonged in a magazine add, though it was found in the spine.

JPK

Blank
.224 member

Reged: 10/12/07
Loc: Idaho Falls, Idaho
Re: Terminal Ballistics on Eland. [Re: JPK]
      #131710 - 07/04/09 03:54 PM

Posted my answer to your question over on AR, with pics, so won't duplicate. My experiences with AB's have been just the opposite of Ripp's, as long as the speed is kept down. Just expand too quick on the ultra-hot loads. They shoot great and perform as designed, and most were pass-thrus on game with large exits. I just never have gotten acceptable accuracy from either A-Frames or Scirracos in any gun I tried, so gave up on them.

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
Re: Terminal Ballistics on Eland. [Re: Blank]
      #131720 - 07/04/09 06:58 PM

I have to say I would go to a more heavily constructed bullet. The Woodleigh should be ideal but if your rifle just doesn't get on with the 286grain then another option could be the 250gr North Fork. Also take a look at all the 9.3 bullet tests posted here recently. There are alot of 9.3 bullets out there, but he key is that for Eland you need something stronger and deeper penetrating. I really like A-frames too

Der_Jaeger
.375 member

Reged: 09/10/08
Loc: SE Pennsylvania
Re: Terminal Ballistics on Eland. [Re: JabaliHunter]
      #131722 - 07/04/09 08:53 PM

I've also had very good experiences with the Accubonds. One was a Pronghorn shot at around 300 yards with a 110 grain Accubond out of a .257 Weatherby. The bullet penetrated the left front shoulder and traversed the length of the body. The other was a Boar shot at 85 yards with a 140 grain Accubond out of a .270 Weatherby. The bullet penetrated the left front shoulder and exited out of the right rear rib section. I didn't recover the bullet out of the boar, but the one I recovered out of the Pronghorn was a near perfect mushroom. That said, for Eland, I'd probably go with a 250 grain NP out of my .338 or my .340.

--------------------

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Terminal Ballistics on Eland. [Re: Blank]
      #131723 - 07/04/09 10:41 PM

Quote:

Posted my answer to your question over on AR, with pics, so won't duplicate. My experiences with AB's have been just the opposite of Ripp's, as long as the speed is kept down. Just expand too quick on the ultra-hot loads. They shoot great and perform as designed, and most were pass-thrus on game with large exits. I just never have gotten acceptable accuracy from either A-Frames or Scirracos in any gun I tried, so gave up on them.

If you read my response --that is basically what I said--

"Have used them out of my .280 shooting 140's at around 3000 fps--worked fine on mule deer..and there in is, what I believe, is the nitch for Accubonds..if you use them go heavy for caliber and keep the velocity under 3000 fps--they will work "o.k."...BUT personally I would NEVER use them on Eland--there are so many better bullets out there for that..why risk it??""

Keep the velocity down and they work o.k...my additional response is, there are so many better options out there I would not risk shooting a 2000lb animals with what I consider an inferior bullet for this type of game..

As to the A-Frame or Scirroco's not being accurate..really?? see the photo below..this is the only one I have on my computer..but have targets at home better than this ..all with A-Frames or Scirroco's...

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Edited by Ripp (07/04/09 11:20 PM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 131 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2567

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com