Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Leopard charge.

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Leopard charge. [Re: 500Nitro]
      #130491 - 26/03/09 03:37 AM

Quote:

What about some of the Ceramic Bullet proof plates as used by the Military ?

They are designed to be non restrictive.

The only problem I see with then is the claws could get behind them and rip it out.

Just a thought.

They are HEAVY.

REALLY heavy, and totally restrict movement.

No doubt they'd stop a cat's teeth tho and might help if the client gets the gun going wrong when shooting the thing off Shakari!!

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: Leopard charge. [Re: 9.3x57]
      #130492 - 26/03/09 03:41 AM

They are HEAVY.

REALLY heavy, and totally restrict movement.

No doubt they'd stop a cat's teeth tho and might help if the client gets the gun going wrong when shooting the thing off Shakari!!

LMAO

Shakari would be pleased !!!!

shakari
.400 member

Reged: 09/02/03
Loc: South Africa
Re: Leopard charge. [Re: 500Nitro]
      #130497 - 26/03/09 05:34 AM

Thanks for your consideration guys!

Ideally I'd like every Leopard to take the first shot like the one pictured in the previous page....... hell, I'd even climb the tree myself every time to bring it down on my back !

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
Kuduland Safaris (Africa) Ltd
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

Edited by shakari (26/03/09 07:38 AM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Leopard charge. [Re: ALAN_MCKENZIE]
      #130544 - 26/03/09 09:48 PM

Quote:

I will be spending a fair bit of time in Botswana in the next couple of years,so it is interesting to read everyones comments on the subject.

Al

What are you up to there? PM or email me if you wish.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Leopard charge. [Re: NitroX]
      #130546 - 26/03/09 10:03 PM

Hemingway wrote once his favourite choice of firearm for leopard follow-up was a quail gun (?) or shotgun loaded with no. 9 bird shot.

Wonder how many bottles were consumed before that bit of literature?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

ALAN_MCKENZIE
.400 member

Reged: 24/03/04
Loc: Western Australia
      #130549 - 26/03/09 10:41 PM

John,will email you privately on that subject.
Al

--------------------
"Dogs always bark at their master"
Sir Seretse Khama.25th June 1949

ALAN_MCKENZIE
.400 member

Reged: 24/03/04
Loc: Western Australia
      #130551 - 26/03/09 10:56 PM

OK ,Steve now that the dust has settled on 00 BUCK lets consider what light fast handling firearm would be suitable on charging leopard or lion.
A 500 definately does not fit into that catagory so what alternatives do we have to stop a full blown charge .

Might I sugest a 10 or 12 bore paradox or smooth bore loaded with 750gn projectiles.

A 500 double would have to weigh around 10 1/2 pounds and your average 10 or 12 bore would weigh from 6 1/2 to 8 pounds.

Any thoughts on the subject.

--------------------
"Dogs always bark at their master"
Sir Seretse Khama.25th June 1949

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
      #130557 - 27/03/09 12:01 AM

Quote:

OK ,Steve now that the dust has settled on 00 BUCK lets consider what light fast handling firearm would be suitable on charging leopard or lion.
A 500 definately does not fit into that catagory so what alternatives do we have to stop a full blown charge .

Might I sugest a 10 or 12 bore paradox or smooth bore loaded with 750gn projectiles.

A 500 double would have to weigh around 10 1/2 pounds and your average 10 or 12 bore would weigh from 6 1/2 to 8 pounds.

Seems that Shakari already answered you in regards to what considers fast enough handling.

I'll lean back and get comfy in my armchair and toss in my $.02, tho...

IMO it is your purposes here, Alan, that describe the "African niche" for the Marlin 1895 in .45-70. I'll go so far as to state that it would rank as high as just about anything else when loaded with 400 grain bullets of a variety of type from my long-shaft cast hollow points to jacketed soft points and running at 1500 to 1800 fps. My 402 HP goes 1640 fps and is a killer on game and in test media at short range duplicates the .375 H&H Magnum when that caliber is loaded with Premium jacketed bullets.

My Marlin is from the first year of Ballard rifling and has the 22 inch barrel. Even on a huge leopard, the gun would absolutely kill from any angle and break bones the whole way. Weight is around 7.5 lbs and handling is really superb. For shots from the front sight to 100 long paces, I really can't imagine anything better for handling of the rifle when mixed with killing of the leopard.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

shakari
.400 member

Reged: 09/02/03
Loc: South Africa
      #130558 - 27/03/09 12:32 AM

Alan,

All this is really a matter of personal choice but I'd say whatever rifle the shooter is most at home with and can handle fastest. My own carry rifle is my 500 Jeffery, weighs about 12.5 lbs fully loaded and is fitted with mercury tube recoil arrestor, 19 inch barrel, shallow vee rearsight and red fibre optic foresight. The rifle is made to fit me and handles like a shotgun when it comes to fast target acquisition. Although I say it myself, I'm helluva fast with it when I need to be........ that rifle is the perfect charge stopper for my use. For cats, my choice of bullet, which is equally important, is the Woodleigh SP..... and I've never had an occasion where there was time for a second shot, so the first one has to be bang on target. Maybe others have had time for a second shot, but I never have.

I don't really have enough experience with shotgun and solid slug to comment, but I guess it'd work. The sights might be a problem but that said, I never remember the actual shot in a charge, so don't know if I conciously use the sights or not. All I ever remember is identifying the beginning of the charge and the animal laying dead afterwards. The bit in between is always a total blank.

As for the marlin. Yes, I guess it'd work but again have never used one so I don't really have any experiences to base my comments on.

I think the most impportant thing is to use a firearm that is capable of doing the job and that the shooter is 110% familiar with and can shoot very, very quickly.

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
Kuduland Safaris (Africa) Ltd
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #130559 - 27/03/09 12:34 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Seems that Shakari already answered you in regards to what considers fast enough handling.

I'll lean back and get comfy in my armchair and toss in my $.02, tho...

IMO it is your purposes here, Alan, that describe the "African niche" for the Marlin 1895 in .45-70. I'll go so far as to state that it would rank as high as just about anything else when loaded with 400 grain bullets of a variety of type from my long-shaft cast hollow points to jacketed soft points and running at 1500 to 1800 fps. My 402 HP goes 1640 fps and is a killer on game and in test media at short range duplicates the .375 H&H Magnum when that caliber is loaded with Premium jacketed bullets.

My Marlin is from the first year of Ballard rifling and has the 22 inch barrel. Even on a huge leopard, the gun would absolutely kill from any angle and break bones the whole way. Weight is around 7.5 lbs and handling is really superb. For shots from the front sight to 100 long paces, I really can't imagine anything better for handling of the rifle when mixed with killing of the leopard.

In addition to the above---a double properly fitted will be able to be handled just as a shotgun ONLY with much better results in stopping a leopard...

Agee with what has been stated by Shakari..and I will paraphrase here..but, anyone wanting to face a leopard or lion, especially a lion, with a shotgun, has either not done it or is not the sharpest tool in the shed...

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Edited by Ripp (27/03/09 05:27 AM)

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Leopard charge. [Re: Ripp]
      #130568 - 27/03/09 02:26 AM

9.3x57 has a good point concerning the Marlin and perhaps it would be one of the very best 'charge stoppers'. I've had two in the past, a .444 with 300gr. and a .45.70, microgrooved 22" with 350's and 400's. Recently, I've come to know a Guide Gun in stainless that puts out 400gr.Barnes FN's just over 2,000fps, but recoil in the light gun is a bit much for really fast cycling. Any of these would work well on cats I'm sure. 9.3's lighter 400gr. cast HP (or jacketed) at just over 1,600fps would be more controllable, less recoil and faster for repeat shots if necessary - probalby not necessary. With a modicum of good practise, that lever gun is just about as fast as a properly exersized Lee Enfield.

Personally, I'd probably go for one of the 9.3's or a .375 something. Those 300gr. Interbonds look to be perfect!

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

BeltedMagnum
.224 member

Reged: 09/10/08
Loc: New England
Re: Leopard charge. [Re: DarylS]
      #130615 - 27/03/09 09:51 AM

I think that before putting on anti-chainsaw gear, or bullet proof plates, perhaps we should consider a suit designed specifically for keeping big teeth out of our tender flesh.

http://www.sharkmans-world.com/images/interviews/jersul/neptunic_suit_2005.jpg

Based on the footage I have seen on TV, I'd figure that you would be safer than a steak at a PETA rally,,, if you could shoulder your rifle,shotgun,lance. A nice change for those of us that have been wearing a Akubra hats and Willis and Geiger for far to long.

Belted "armchair leopard hunter" Magnum, I love this place

--------------------
Hunting Africa with Dad. Does it get any better?

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Leopard charge. [Re: BeltedMagnum]
      #130623 - 27/03/09 12:14 PM

Quote:

Belted "armchair leopard hunter" Magnum, I love this place

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

RLI
.375 member

Reged: 01/10/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: Leopard charge. [Re: Ripp]
      #130625 - 27/03/09 12:51 PM

I think walking around the bush in a shark suit with a spear gun or in loggers protective chainsaw clothing in bright safety yellow with a chainsaw at full throttle would scare any poor leopard away !!

--------------------
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." — John Wayne

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Leopard charge. [Re: albertan]
      #213311 - 23/07/12 10:14 PM

Quote:

I went over to the site from which this video originated. T

Found this thread again when looking for the other leopard attack video link.

I remember seeing a thread on a certain toxic aussie hunting forum and the experts there were saying "the PH whines like a little girl" ... they must have been real (keyboard) he-men indeed to make such comments.

Actually I think a lot of the whines are coming from the leopard anyway. ??? In any case being chewed on, anyone would make any sort of noise even if the bravest.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#213312 - 23/07/12 10:23 PM

Another with a similar film stored on NE:

Double Rifle Leopard hunt and Mauling

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 288 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 30330

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com