Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: opinion

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
Prev_Forum
.333 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Web
opinion
      #129 - 29/12/02 10:52 PM

Where would you shoot a charging buffalo and a wounded buff that is running away from you.???????

First Previous 2-9 of 9 Next Last Delete Replies

Recommend Delete Message 2 of 9 in Discussion

Well........I've never hunted buffola......But I'll give the question a whirl anyway!!If being charged I'd go for the lower chest area hoping for the heart, if the head was down I'd have to place one just above the eyes but below the horn in hopes for a brain shot.
A wounded one running away and heading into the brush? I'd have to aim high above the tail in hopes of achoring him with a spine shot (in hopes of disabling his hind legs)

I'd make it a point to always hunt with a slower hunter(slower runner) just in case neither of these shots are right!!! LOL

Let me know if I should be running yet!!
moss

Recommend Delete Message 3 of 9 in Discussion

Shoot a wounded one fer sure,always taught make clean kills and do you best to track any wounded critter no matter how big and mean

now for charging animal buff i would not worry fast at climbing tree's

Recommend Delete Message 4 of 9 in Discussion

Moss,
You sound like a experienced buff hunter!!!!Took the words right out of my mouth except the frontal heart shot-for that one you must start running.I think my options will be the same as yours.The thing is just that a buff does'nt fall emediatly with heart shots(well 50% off the times not)

Recommend Delete Message 5 of 9 in Discussion

As I understand it on a charging cape buffalo the buff will hold his head up when he charges until the last moment or few steps when he swings his head down to hook with his horns or smash with the bosses.

I have often heard "shoot the charging buff on the tip of his nose" so that the bullet travels along to his brain, which I would suppose means his head is up. If the head is down a shot between the eyes or very slightly above would be my guess.

(I have a cast iron buffalo skull and horns paper weight and have been examining it to see what the angle would be when the head is held up or down. I will see if I can post a picture or two later).

Running directly away which I understand is a often taken shot on buffalo. I understand a considerable number of buff require follow up shots even with well placed first shots, especially if the calibre is a sub .400.

I would take whatever shots presented themselves if follow-up shots on a wounded beast. If not follow-up shots, I would not take the shot as it would be a dangerous shot to take on a "fresh" buffalo and not a "percentage" shot.

Preferably at the centre mass to angle through to the heart/lungs as even if the beast runs a considerable distance the heart shot will kill it. The lungs, well, then you might have some fun. Or as Moss suggests higher to break the spine and anchor the beast, which sounds good to me.

The best shot to take would be on a broadside standing beast to break the front shoulder and take out the heart. Or take out the heart only. or a 375 I believe this is THE percentage shots, other than the brain shot. Neither of the first two shots will anchor the beast completely and it still can charge on 3 legs. If using a 416 or 458 will solids a shot through both shoulders would be good.

My hypotheses only, someone correct me if I am wrong.

Nitro

Recommend Delete Message 6 of 9 in Discussion

Moss and Big Five

I stand corrected. How do you two get so smart as to know where to shoot a buff running away from you?

But I see you were both correct. I received an excellent little booklet today, "The African Hunter - Pocket Field Guide to Shot Placement" and it recommends just this shot. Running away to the spine.

This little booklet has excellent diagrams of where to shoot various African game, with skellitonised cut outs - eg an elephant from front on where they have "x-rayed" the skull so it shows on the elephant picture.

I am emailling them to see if I can post a couple of pictures on this site. Will keep you posted.

Nitro

Recommend Delete Message 7 of 9 in Discussion

he he he , Don't know Nitro.....seemed like the only vital exposed in that situation, of course in real life I would of ran him down, thrown a New York head lock on him and had him hog tied in no time flat!!!

LOL
moss

Recommend Delete Message 8 of 9 in Discussion

or cut his throat with your Bowie moss?lol

The best thing to do in that situation is to get as much as possible lead in that buffs body to slow him down.Not from running away but from charging you.These buggers are really tuff

Recommend Delete Message 9 of 9 in Discussion

Good news!

I have received permission to use a limited amount of copyrighted material from the shot placement guide. I will soon be posting a review of this booklet for your benefit.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the meantime, check out this post in the African Game / Dangerous Game forum which illustrates the aiming points and penetration lines if shooting a cape buffalo from front on - ie facing you.

Click on this link http://communities.ninemsn.com.au/nitroexpresscom/africaanddg.msnw?action=get_message&mview=&ID_Message=474

Nitro

--------------------
Message from previous message board

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 30 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1959

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com