Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Bore molding

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
bonanza
.400 member

Reged: 17/05/04
Loc: South Carolina
Bore molding
      #128568 - 03/03/09 04:20 AM

Here is an easy and fairly accurate bore mold trick I tried last night.

1: swab the bore with Vaseline.

2: push modeling clay into the muzzle about an inch.

3: push it back out with a cleaning rod with some kind of card on the tip.

4: freeze the clay slug for 24 hours.

I did three and consistently got .457 groove diameter for a .458 win mag.

--------------------

"Speak Precisely" G. Gordon Liddy.

"Life is absurd, chaotic and we must define its purpose with our actions" Abert Camus

"I''m the dude playing a dude disguised as another dude."

"Yo! Mr. White"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ChrisPer
.300 member

Reged: 12/05/08
Loc: Australia
Re: Bore molding [Re: bonanza]
      #128610 - 03/03/09 01:38 PM

Thats cool, it would probably be even better to use it for chamber casts because the proportions, overall length and shoulder styles would be revealed so easily.

I was pleased with the way the Cerrosafe came out after Tinker's advice on the right way to use it, but its always good to know possible quick and effective alternatives. I am just about to do Cerrosafe again on my loading dies to guage modifications to them.

88MauSporter
.375 member

Reged: 06/06/07
Loc: Alaska / Texas
Re: Bore molding [Re: ChrisPer]
      #128698 - 04/03/09 07:33 AM

Canning wax or block wax from craft stores works OK for a temporary chamber and throut mold cast.
It is not very durable after, but shrinks just enough to remove from the chamber easily. I found the dims too close to ferrosafe for me to measure.

--------------------
"A hunter should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everthing goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." 88MauSporter

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Bore molding [Re: 88MauSporter]
      #128700 - 04/03/09 08:36 AM

Bore and throat slugging is the easiest to do with pure lead slugs.
Merely cast up some that are oversize, or in the mould for that calibre. They do not have to be perfect like bullets you want to shoot - wrinkles are fine.

Clean the barrel and oil, then push 1 or 2 dry patches through to fall off the jag at the muzzle. Slug the bullet up a bit with a hammer, then pound it into the bore and down a 1/2 inch or so - or into the throat and stop just into the rifling. I use Hickory ramrod sections for this to prevent damage to the muzzle or chamber. Insert a rod, hickory or cleaning rod with a blunt end from the muzzle to contact the 'slug in the chamber, or from the breech to contact the one at the muzzle. Insert another rod from the other end and pound on one of them with the other supported to the lead slug is mated to the area you want to measure. Push the slug of lead out with a rod in the direction of the shortest way and measure it - groove diamter, land diameter or diameter and length of lead/freebore, angle of throat and length of same. Pretty simple, quick - and accurate. Do NOT use hard lead for this - pure or almost pure lead only.

In the time it took to type and/or read this, I could have done a barrel, easily.

500gr. + .458 bullets work well for .40 to .48 cal., for instance. Always keep some pure lead bullets of various sizes on hand for 'new' aquisitions.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

DuggaBoy
.300 member

Reged: 03/03/09
Loc: Tx
Re: Bore molding [Re: DarylS]
      #128706 - 04/03/09 08:53 AM

as Daryl S says;

Or for the Lazy , Meister bullets offers lead slug kits, (LBT once did but believe they have recently discontinued them)

--------------------
DuggaBoy
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DSC

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 108 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1896

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com