Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 100 lb. elephant seized.

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
rscott
.333 member

Reged: 21/03/08
Loc: wyo., USA
100 lb. elephant seized.
      #128466 - 02/03/09 12:40 AM

seems Guy Whittall is still up to his old tricks.
http://www.huntingreport.com/current_issue.cfm?id=456

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Kalunga
.333 member

Reged: 16/06/06
Loc: Germany
Re: 100 lb. elephant seized. [Re: rscott]
      #128471 - 02/03/09 02:04 AM

I guess You are not talking about "old tricks" as far as illegal hunting is concerned. I wonder what was going on there. No safari operator in his right mind wants to get kicked out and loose his concession. I hope we hear more about the case since Mozambique is a promising hunting destination (so far).

Kalunga

DoubleD
.400 member

Reged: 23/11/03
Loc: Retired in Oklahoma
Re: 100 lb. elephant seized. [Re: Kalunga]
      #128473 - 02/03/09 02:27 AM

Kalunga you are right when you say "No safari operator in his right mind wants to get kicked out and loose his concession"...but we all know money talks. And the amount of money that may have been offered for such an animal as this may have been staggering...

--------------------
DD, Ret.

rscott
.333 member

Reged: 21/03/08
Loc: wyo., USA
      #128476 - 02/03/09 02:58 AM

Quote:

I guess You are not talking about "old tricks" as far as illegal hunting is concerned. I wonder what was going on there. No safari operator in his right mind wants to get kicked out and loose his concession. I hope we hear more about the case since Mozambique is a promising hunting destination (so far).

Kalunga

i guess that is exactly what i mean.
last i knew, his Zim. PH license was suspended for illegally shooting a female leopard, covering it up, and shooting another male leopard for export. he's well known by some in Zim. for these type of antics.

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #128478 - 02/03/09 03:02 AM

I was wondering when this was going to show up somewhere..when Ian Gibson was at my house in January of this year, he had told me the story as he knew it, ---basically was similar to what is stated in the article...sad, sad, situation, IMHO...

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Kalunga
.333 member

Reged: 16/06/06
Loc: Germany
Re: 100 lb. elephant seized. [Re: Ripp]
      #128485 - 02/03/09 04:28 AM

That`s what I wanted to know. Sad indeed !

Kalunga

larcher
.416 member

Reged: 11/01/05
Loc: Saverne, Alsace, France
      #128493 - 02/03/09 06:59 AM

I would say devastating as R. Whittal is an undisputable well known figure in the safari business and I'd have trust him without looking back.
I am waiting for more development as really it's hard to gulp down....though facts could be cruel but are facts.

I'd like to know 500 grains' opinion as he has hunted with R.W. and was amply satisfyed. As 500 is strictly no non-sense and deeply honest his opinion can be very valuable.

--------------------
"I don't want to create an encyclopedic atmosphere here when we might be having a beer instead" P H Capstick in "Safari the last adventure."

Edited by larcher (02/03/09 07:02 AM)

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
Re: 100 lb. elephant seized. [Re: larcher]
      #128510 - 02/03/09 10:40 AM

Agree - waiting to hear more developments, although we should be clear that the post was about Guy Whittall, not Roger... even if he operates under Roger Whittall Safaris

freischuetz
.224 member

Reged: 05/04/04
      #128579 - 03/03/09 05:20 AM

Hi, basically the same I posted on AR.

Wonder where the hunting report got a official statement from? (Name, Position etc.) There is only one person who could issue a official statement to this issue and this would be the Provincial Director of Tourism for the Niassa Province and he has not made a statement by 1st of March on the issue. Further he would only consider any replay to a formal written request for any statement he told me last Friday.

He also told me that he received a call from the USA and told them to send a fax with a formal request which never happens.

Regarding 3 different government agencies are involved call this guessing at the best if not BS! If it was shot in the hunting area it is under Tourism if shot outside it is Agriculture business.

Regarding shot in somebody others concession that is BS the only concession having a common border with they area is ours and this is on the northern side. On the southern side there is at least a 20km wide strip to the next area so much for map reading and information.

As for no quota for the area yes and no!

Mozambique get only 40 elephant permits per year from CITES and this is the official allocation which gets distributed in a “mysterious” way! Not all issued tags will be actually taken up by the operators to whom they have been allocated. These allocated not used / wanted tags can be made available in areas with sustainable elephant population which did not get a tag for the season.
This has to be arranged before hand with the provincial director!

I know, because I seen, a copy of the by the provincial government proposed quota for the season and they asked the central gov. for 2 elephant per area however the central government did not applied? Or? got a increase in Cites quota thus there where no elephant tags available for the new areas in Niassa.

As far as I heard there was a go ahead from the old provincial director for the area to hunt one elephant if a spare / not used tag could be allocated.

My take on issue is: that a bunch of youngsters and newcomers shot a 100lbs elephant and some operators are not so happy about it and stirring the pot! If it would be a 50lbs elephant no one would give a s...t!

Lets wait and see what the official written statement will show before coming to conclusion based on incomplete or misinformation purposeful? feed to the media !

We got much worst things happen in Mozambique and no one cares so IMO here a other reasons behind areas getting less and less with Botswana closing, Zimbabwe trouble, Tanzania increasing fees and to many operators etc. Mozambique is the flavour of the month. Ever heard of hostile take over?
RWS is operating there and Guy has only a share in the company. The majority is owned by others. And there was not big money involved this was sold as a test hunt for a elephant and priced accordingly (Cheap) to one of the partners told me. He did not seams to happy about a discounted 100lbs elephant.

I would have strangled the PH if he would shoot such a Elephant on a cheap test hunt!
Nobody in his right mind would let any one shoot a 100lbs elephant for 10 or 15 K But this not my problem!

But then all Safari hunting in Niassa, is technically illegal!

--------------------
Time is your treasure use it wisely you can never replace it

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 125 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3360

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com