Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: From Ethiopia with love

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
larcher
.416 member

Reged: 11/01/05
Loc: Saverne, Alsace, France
From Ethiopia with love
      #128319 - 28/02/09 04:26 AM

From Ethiopia with love

Here is a short report of my friend François’s safari in Ethiopia

François opted for an open area high in the mountains where one takes advantage of large vistas for spotting Mountain Nyala.

This plateau offers a nice place for setting the tents and spotting was easy not more than 400 from the camp.
The surprise arrived the first morning when getting up and seeing nyalas not 200m far from the tents. All the hunting consists in thoroughly spotting along a tremendous canyon thick with ferns where Nyalas feel home. In this very dense cover, the camouflaged nyalas are hard to spot. When one happens to see some one has to look for a real trophy.
The ambiance is quite unreal. Everywhere people are treading, chanting, calling. Goats are strolling and kids are uncontrollable. They have never seen any white men and they come from everywhere, first very shy and more and more confident. They get very excited and you have to friendly cool them down.

The nyala is undisturbed by all this appalling din. It’s their natural habitat and they are accustomed with the vivid life of the locals.

Eventually action appears with a fantastic male nyala. The morale wasn’t very high for last month, male nyala were hard to find and unpredictable, it was rut time. Seems that rut is over.
The huntress measured the distance, 450 m (500 yards). The 300Win barked, clean miss a tad over the nyala. A most fast reloading and the spined nyala hit the dust.
But what an ordeal to get to the nyala and recover it, no less than 8 hours.
A real fantastic animal, a 37 incher. Mission accomplished.

The following days spot and stalk for a Menelik bushbuck, luck happened.

But luck failed for leopard. No way to bait them either with a carcass on a bait tree or a living tethered goat. Leopard have plenty of goats everywhere and can feed day and night.

Ethiopia, a wonderful country with friendly nice people, a must for a hunter.

--------------------
"I don't want to create an encyclopedic atmosphere here when we might be having a beer instead" P H Capstick in "Safari the last adventure."

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
88MauSporter
.375 member

Reged: 06/06/07
Loc: Alaska / Texas
Re: From Ethiopia with love [Re: larcher]
      #128326 - 28/02/09 05:23 AM

Thanks for this post Larcher. We don't see very much of the real views from African hunts such as your friend's. I enjoyed this very much. Looks like a real Safari. I would do this when I can. Great bushbuck and nyala. What a hunt!

--------------------
"A hunter should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everthing goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." 88MauSporter

DDouble
.300 member

Reged: 17/02/06
Loc: Brazil
Re: From Ethiopia with love [Re: 88MauSporter]
      #128347 - 28/02/09 12:34 PM

Ditto 88!!
One can actually feel this hunt from the pictures...and that is the way a hunt should feels like!!

--------------------
Ddouble

88MauSporter
.375 member

Reged: 06/06/07
Loc: Alaska / Texas
Re: From Ethiopia with love [Re: DDouble]
      #128357 - 28/02/09 03:10 PM

After seeing this, I had to have lunch at my favorite Ethiopian resturant this week! Beautiful family runs it in Houston. The place is called the Blue Nile. The food was fantastic. Spicy, rich and eaten with the soft pancake like bread with the fingers. Alittle glass of of honey wine. Not like being there, but, I can dream of the day!

--------------------
"A hunter should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everthing goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." 88MauSporter

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: From Ethiopia with love [Re: 88MauSporter]
      #128391 - 01/03/09 01:29 AM

Thanks for the great pics, Larcher...really enjoyed them...agree with the others...looks like a fantastic hunt...

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

larcher
.416 member

Reged: 11/01/05
Loc: Saverne, Alsace, France
Re: From Ethiopia with love [Re: Ripp]
      #128492 - 02/03/09 06:55 AM

Thanks

In fact François is a very efficient agent, often looking matter of fact or mercenarylike.

When I saw his pictures, I have to change my opinion, he is definitely a tender guy.
I tremendously appreciate all the pictures of the people there. Aren't this kids cute? Don't they seem happy and content of their living.
François insists on the fact that people there are most nice than in any country in Africa (he has safaris almost in every country, Gabon and Uganda included.)According to him it's really the first country to be visited in Africa if you choose to visit one. Fantastic sceneries, most great people and so many sites to explore, included plenty of christian churchs. A safe country also, the Ethipia having chosen the American side.
A pity that only 2 outfitters are running the show and that fees are so high that the gov is wanting to earn nearly as much as outfitters. The price of rarity.

--------------------
"I don't want to create an encyclopedic atmosphere here when we might be having a beer instead" P H Capstick in "Safari the last adventure."

BNagel
.224 member

Reged: 21/03/09
Loc: Clute, Texas
Re: From Ethiopia with love [Re: larcher]
      #130151 - 21/03/09 12:00 PM

88MauSporter

I prefer the Addisaba, but may revisit Blue Nile.
New here and interested in Mausers. Oh, I grew up in Ethiopia.

kamilaroi
.400 member

Reged: 18/12/04
Loc: sydney, new south wales, Austr...
Re: From Ethiopia with love [Re: BNagel]
      #130166 - 21/03/09 07:46 PM

Eritrea may be better but watch out for the prior Ethiopian Mengistu dictatorship regime's UXO's ALL OVER THE PLACE.

Definitely hard country without that hazard to boot.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: From Ethiopia with love [Re: Ripp]
      #130174 - 21/03/09 10:36 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the great pics, Larcher...really enjoyed them...agree with the others...looks like a fantastic hunt...

Me too. Great photos and selection of topics.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 106 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2655

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com