Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Double rifle newbie- advice sought.

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
crazy_muzungu
.224 member

Reged: 30/01/09
Loc: Indiana USA
Double rifle newbie- advice sought.
      #125430 - 30/01/09 01:03 PM

Hello! I've just stumbled into your forum, and I've always dreamed of owning a double. I have that opportunity this summer, and I need help deciding which caliber.

The style is not in question, I want a sxs with a hogback-style stock- I shot several CZ rifles in Zambia last fall that were stocked this way, and liked it.

I have shot 375 belted, 458 lott, 458 win mag, 416 rigby, and one spring morning I met a man at the range who let me shoot his very lovely purdey back action double in 500 NE.

I loved the Purdey. I won't ever be able to afford one, but I loved it and I loved the 500 nitro cartridge.

The gentleman who is facilitating the rifle for me is frightening me about the recoil. I'm a kind of a recoil junkie, I love rifles that come to my shoulder with authority and I love the thunk that comes out of the ouch end. But I will eventually use this rifle on cape buffalo, and I don't want an anemic round. I will also be shooting this at the range, just because I can.

I won't be shooting a hundred rounds at a time. I will shoot ten or twelve rounds per range session. I reload.

Is it practical to make light loads for a 500 nitro, just for fun shooting, possibly also as a whitetail round?

If I'm asking stupid questions please forgive. I'm new to this but having a large bore double has been a dream for a very long time. I'm excited about the romance of the classic 500 nitro cartridge but I will bow to the authority of this august group if I'm seeking overkill and not practicality.

Life is too short for fickle friends, cheap booze, bad food, dull knives and single barreled rifles.

Oh, I wandered into a stand of tall reeds after a cape buff in October. For the rest of the two weeks I was there, the game guide and his helpers called me Crazy Muzungu.
Thanks in advance for any advice.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: Double rifle newbie- advice sought. [Re: crazy_muzungu]
      #125434 - 30/01/09 02:04 PM

Welcome to the Forum.

If you have shot a 500 and liked it than anything less will be easy. A 470 would be ideal as it would be similier to your 458 Lott.

I don't see a problem. Everyone has their own opinion on recoil. Perhaps the gentleman you are speaking of doesn't care for it?

Most Doubles can be loaded down by about 25%, load and bullet weight, and still shoot fine. The Brits did it all the time with light loads. Just make sure you have the case full of something.

What kind of rifle are you looking at?

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

crazy_muzungu
.224 member

Reged: 30/01/09
Loc: Indiana USA
Re: Double rifle newbie- advice sought. [Re: mickey]
      #125497 - 31/01/09 11:15 AM

The rifle I'm seeking is one of the inexpensive italians, and I'll be getting it through the offices of a good friend, if all goes well. I hope to be able to post pictures when it comes.

Right now I'm looking for someone in the Chicago area to give me a stock fitting.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 89 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1324

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com