Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Questions for Shakari.

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
Mpofu
.300 member

Reged: 02/01/03
Questions for Shakari.
      #12365 - 24/03/04 07:27 PM

Steve,

If I were interested in shooting Cape Buffalo...
1. Which part of Tanzania would you say one could get the best quality Bulls?
2.Do you'll go after the old Bulls, ie.. like the daggaboys in Zim, or is it mainly herd Bulls that get shot? (On most videos , it appears hunters go after herd Bulls, as opposed to the bachelor groups)
3. How many days would a hunter need to book, in order to shoot 3 Bulls on a single trip? Daily rates?
Maybe it would be a good idea to discuss and book a trip on these pages.
The rest of the members can then give you marks out of 10 !
M.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
shakari
.400 member

Reged: 09/02/03
Loc: South Africa
Re: Questions for Shakari. [Re: Mpofu]
      #12396 - 25/03/04 05:01 AM

Hi Mpofu,

Answers to your questions are as follows.

1. The biggest Buffalo bulls generally come from Masailand, but there are far fewer of them and despite what some people may say the entire area is a lot more rain dependant than the Selous. Which means if the rains fail then you might battle to find the Buffalo. If it's a first Buff hunt then I would recommend the Selous every time......The area I hunt there has some real nice bulls and the biggest I saw last year must have gone at least 46 inches. (but that was an exceptional animal). Sadly we didn't get the chance of a shot as the client was trying to get his earplugs in rather than getting the shot together. We tracked the Bull for a loooong way, but eventually lost him in he thick stuff.... they don't get that big by being stupid!!! If you hunt the Selous in early/lare season you could expect to be seeing and hunting into herds of anything up to 80-100 head. In the peak of the season (August-October) the herds can number over 1000 head.

2. There's a few different theories about herd bulls and dagga boys, but current thinking (and the one I go along with) is that the breeding bulls take turns to visit the herds and breed.....two or three (ish) at a time will leave the bachelor herd and go to the females and spend a few days breeding with as many females as they can find in oestrous and then when they get tired or dare I say, shagged out will then go back to the bachelor herd to roll in the mud and regain their energy. Then it's time for a new two or three to go and join the girls for a bit of 'feminine company' and the whole thing starts over. We tend to drive until we see Buff and then get out and start the stalk...... if it's a small group of dagga boys, we get as close as possible, glass them over and look to see if there's anything shootable. If it's a herd of cows, calves and bulls we do much the same thing.....but with these, we often have to hunt right into the herd to check them out thoroughly. This can sometimes mean you're no more than 10 or 15 yards from Buff and they're ALL around you. If we see something shootable in either type of herd, we take the shot if it's safe to do so......of course, occasionally you get a client who is not confident enough to hunt this way and I/we tailor the hunt to suit the client.

3. You are allowed to take 2 Buff on either a 7 or 14 day licence and 3 Buff on a 21 day licence. Each licence also allows the hunter to take a selection of other plains game and in the case of 14 & 21 day licences other dangerous game game as well......details and prices of all this are on my website. If 2 hunters booked a 7 day 2x1 Buff package they could expect to fill their licences completely. This would mean (per hunter) 2 Buff, 2 Wildebeest, 1 Impala, 1 Zebra, 1 warthog & 1 Lichensteins Hartebeest. Costs for this at the peak of the season are US$10000 per hunter which includes all licences, rifle import for 1 rifle per hunter, all charters, dip, pack & trophy delivery to a shipping agent in Dar es Salaam, trophy fee on the 1st Buff per hunter. The only additional costs are bar bills, tips and additional trophy fees of 2nd Buff $1200, Wilderbeest $450 (each) Zebra $800 Impala $350, Warthog $450 & L. Hatrebeest $500.

I think the idea of discussing and planning a hunt on the forum is a great one..... let's do it.

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
Kuduland Safaris (Africa) Ltd
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

Edited by shakari (25/03/04 07:26 AM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Questions for Shakari. [Re: shakari]
      #12409 - 25/03/04 11:43 AM

In reply to:

Sadly we didn't get the chance of a shot as the client was trying to get his earplugs in rather than getting the shot together
Shakari

That is really sad. I bet he had one of those aweful muzzle breaks too.

In reply to:

The rest of the members can then give you marks out of 10 !
Mpofu

Well I can give Steve a 10/10 for after sales service. And I didn't even buy from him!

I hunted in South Africa in 2002. My trophies were delivered to the taxidermist with the correct documentation. The idiot taxidermists lost the paperwork then lied about what they received. OK get the documentation replaced with the outfitter. No chance. The hunt was put through Jaco du Plessis's books and he has disappeared and so has his books.

Steve made many phone calls, letters, spoke to the shippers, the taxidermist, and pulled strings with the appropriate government offices. After a lot of effort he got all the export permissions sealed and delivered. It is now March 2004. I hunted September 2002.

AND I did not hunt with him. So for after sales service I can definitely give Steve and Kuduland Safaris a 10/10.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

NONE
.300 member

Reged: 15/12/03
      #12427 - 25/03/04 02:17 PM

I will be hunting with Steve in Sep-OCT of this year. I spoke with many outfitters, booking agents and PHs and in the end went with Steve and to date am very happy I did. I do not expect the hunt will be any different then my experience so far which is all positive. I give Steve and Susan a definite 10/10 on booking a hunt and attention to details as well as keeping the client informed and aware.

James F Nixon III

shakari
.400 member

Re: Questions for Shakari. [Re: NONE]
      #12725 - 29/03/04 03:24 AM

Gentlemen,

Thank you both for those kind words.

John, it was my pleasure to be able to help you on your trophy problem. I would have done it for any fellow hunter, but it was an especial pleasure to be able to help my host on this forum......I also feel so sorry for the guys who had booked and paid for hunting with Jaco Du Plessis and then had their hunts cancelled.....

James,

Hopefully you will have received your safari pack by now and although it should answer any and all questions you might have, but please don't hesitate to let us know if it doesn't.

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

Edited by shakari (29/03/04 03:26 AM)

Mpofu
.300 member

#12846 - 31/03/04 05:42 PM

Steve,

Thanks for your response.
You say the Selous is good for first timers. Does that mean that Masai land is a better option for hunters who have had some experience of Buff hunting?
I am not keen on collecting trophies, and will not be looking to bring any Buff heads back...unless they go over 46", however I am keen on having warthog and hyena heads mounted. (I notice hyena is not on the list for a 7 day hunt. Can one be made available?).
What's the best time of year for a Buff hunt ?
M.

luv2safari
.400 member

Reged: 09/11/03
Loc: United States
      #12848 - 31/03/04 11:59 PM

I believe that warthog is not on a 7 day license in Masailand, but is in the Selous...another reason for the Selous.

--------------------
Hunt with Class and Classics

shakari
.400 member

#12855 - 01/04/04 03:59 AM

The reason I suggest the Selous is that it has HUGE Buffalo populations. The season starts on July 1st and ends officially on Dec 31st......however the rains really stop the hunting around the 1st week of December.

In July you can expect to be hunting into Buff herds of 80-100 head. After that the herds begin to grow and by September you can often see herds of 500 head and occasional herds of 1000+ By November the herds begin to break up again. Last year in our Selous concession the longest we took to take 2 good Buff in the low season was about 4 or 5 days and the fastest we took 2 good Buff in the peak season was one and a half days......but we then took two in an hour. Selous is also good for Leopard and big bodied Lion, but the Lion here have pretty lousy manes.
Incidentally, Selous is the ONLY place I've ever personally seen a black Leopard.

Masailand is very rain dependant and has far fewer Buffalo, but the Buff that are there tend to be quite a lot bigger. If a client wants to be fairly sure of taking 2 good Buff in Masailand I always suggest he book a 10 day hunt.....we don't usually offer a 2x1 hunt here as it might end in the clients not having time to shoot 4 Buff in the time allowed.

No matter where you hunt in Tanzania you are ONLY ever allowed to take the animals specified on the relevant licence.....hence you cannot take a hyena on a 7 day licence ANYWHERE in Tanzania. The only species that this ruledoes not apply is the L. Hartebeest. In the areas they do not occur, you are allowed to take the local equivalent. IE Topi in Burigi and Coke's Hartebeest in Masailand.....lists of what species occur on each licence and their trophy fees can be found on my website. Also don't forget that some species don't occur in all areas. For example Grant's & Tommy gazelles are on the 7 day licence, but don't occur in the Selous. (or Burigi)

The best time of year for a Buff hunt in the Selous is obviously at the peak of the season when it's the most expensive ....... but even in the low season, you'll get 2 Buff if you want them.....you just might work a little harder for them and you might also have to hunt some areas that have been freshly burnt......but the Buff are still there and we have 100% success rate all through the year.... in fact the only species we don't have 100% success rate in Tanzania is Elephant, where we failed to get one on the last hunt of the year. We only had 5 day's to find a shootable one and despite looking at over 100 bulls we couldn't find one that met the minimum size & weight restrictions...... actually we saw 2 that did in that time, but one had a broken tusk and the other buggered off before we had time to set up the shot.

If you hunt Masailand then the best time to hunt is either in July at the end of the short rains (May-June ish) or at the end of the season as the long rains are coming in. I would only really suggest the Masailand areas to clients who only want a really big buffalo and/or the northern species.

Frankly, if a client is tight on money, then the best deals are a 2x1 hunt in the Selous in July or November. If money is not too tight then the best time is mid to late September and October.

Again full details are to be found on my website.

The best areas for the various hunts are as follows:

Selous- Buff & plains game

Masailand- Big Buff (if you're willing to take a bit of a gamble) and cats.

Burigi- Sitatunga

hope that helps

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

shakari
.400 member

#12859 - 01/04/04 04:40 AM

Guess I should have said that IMO there is absolutely NOTHING in life that begins to compare with sneaking into a seriously big herd of Buffalo on a still day. They're all around you and often less than 10 or 15 yards distant, and some are looking at you...... The best place by far to do this is in the Selous.

It's the best experience in the world, and one you will never forget. If I knew I had one last day on God's Earth, I'd spend it doing this.

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #12883 - 01/04/04 04:59 PM

In reply to:

If I knew I had one last day on God's Earth, I'd spend it doing this.

I hope not!

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

shakari
.400 member

Re: Questions for Shakari. [Re: NitroX]
      #12895 - 02/04/04 03:45 AM

John,

I truly would. I love Buffalo hunting like you wouldn't believe. I can't even think or talk about it without a huge smile on my face........

Hell, I even dream about it!!!

All hunting is good, but Buff hunting, well I just can't find words to explain how I feel about it

Even when I have a day between clients I go off on my own and look for them.

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

Mpofu
.300 member

#12944 - 03/04/04 12:18 AM

Steve,
The 7 day double Buff hunt sounds good (1X1). I would be keen on the low season period, as I prefer the smaller herds and extra walking it entails.
I am lookinhg at the first week of November.
The wife will be coming along as an observer.
I would need to borrow/hire a 375 H&H, can this be arranged?
We would prefer a fairly basic tented camp.
I will e-mail you personal detils etc..
Maybe I can write up an account of the hunt for John's ezine.
M.

shakari
.400 member

#12948 - 03/04/04 03:31 AM

Mpofu,

Sounds good to me. You'll both love the camp. All camps in Tanzania have to be removed at the end of each season and so are what's called traditional East African tented. Each tent has 2 beds, furniture and en-suite bathroom.

It's no problem for us to provide a .375 H&H for you for the hunt.

As we go through the process of booking your hunt we'll be sending you a full safari plan and contract etc and then we send you a safari pack which will answer all your questions during the lead up to the safari.

Look forward to getting your e-mail & in the fullness of time to reading your e-article about the hunt.

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

NONE
.300 member

Reged: 15/12/03
      #12996 - 04/04/04 04:06 AM

I have recently received my hunt package from Steve and Susan and am quite impressed. This time of year my racing and team promoting takes up the majority of my time so I have just now had the time to go over the package. It was more then I expected and there are not many times in life you can say this. Very professional and well put together. The hunt booklet alone looks to be a invaluable resource.

Thank you Steve and Susan for your hard work I look very forward to my upcoming hunt. I now need to go catch up on the shooting I have neglected in the past month hard to find time on the road but I have a few boxes of .458lott and a few hundred 7mm to burn through today.

James F. Nixon III

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 24 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2895

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com