Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Need Advice - Bullet recommendation

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
MKresinske
.275 member

Reged: 23/02/08
Loc: NY, USA
Need Advice - Bullet recommendation
      #122747 - 01/01/09 03:10 AM

I am sure that this discussion has taken place before, but here it goes anyway.
I am heading to SA April 30th 09 for PG hunt. Taking my 375 H&H. I have been using Federal Power-Shok 270gr SP for game in NA (Deer,Antelope,Elk)for the past year. Should I switch to 250 gr TBBC, 300gr TSX or stick with the Soft Points? PG hunted will be Gemsbok,Impala,Springbuck, Blue Wildebeest, Zebra.
My gut feeling is stick with what I have.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Need Advice - Bullet recommendation [Re: MKresinske]
      #122756 - 01/01/09 03:59 AM

Quote:

I am sure that this discussion has taken place before, but here it goes anyway.
I am heading to SA April 30th 09 for PG hunt. Taking my 375 H&H. I have been using Federal Power-Shok 270gr SP for game in NA (Deer,Antelope,Elk)for the past year. Should I switch to 250 gr TBBC, 300gr TSX or stick with the Soft Points? PG hunted will be Gemsbok,Impala,Springbuck, Blue Wildebeest, Zebra.

I have not used Federal PowerPoint--as I normally reload everything..but if you ammo is working on Elk here in the US--it will work on any plainsgame over there..

For plains game I have used Swift A-Frames, Barnes X, Nosler Accubonds, etc...but again, for plains game, I like the A-Frames the best...

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Rem260
.224 member

Reged: 04/07/07
Loc: Maryland, USA
Re: Need Advice - Bullet recommendation [Re: Ripp]
      #122775 - 01/01/09 09:03 AM

A 270 grain bullet should be sufficient for those animals. I used a 270 gr TSX for seven different plains game animals up to gemsbok and zebra in size last fall. All were one shot kills and complete pass throughs. Some very experienced PHs have written that that the 270 gr TSX in 375 is acceptabl for Cape buffalo. I cannot; however, compare the TX with the Triple shock as I've not used it.

500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
Re: Need Advice - Bullet recommendation [Re: Rem260]
      #122875 - 03/01/09 05:53 AM

You will be fine with what you have. Good luck!

EricD
.416 member

Reged: 27/02/04
      #123013 - 05/01/09 06:46 AM

Quote:

Go with your gut feeling. No more is needed for plainsgame.

MKresinske
.275 member

Re: Need Advice - Bullet recommendation [Re: EricD]
      #123108 - 06/01/09 04:39 AM

Thanks for the reassurance on using the 270gr SP. I certainly respect the experience of the memebers in this forum. I have used the 375 H&H for all of my hunts in the past 12 months and shoot it often. Picked up 4 more boxes this weekend to shoot before I go. I need to spend some time shooting from sticks.

Thanks again.

Ripp
.577 member

#123118 - 06/01/09 06:43 AM

Quote:

I need to spend some time shooting from sticks.

Thanks again.

Wise decision..and any other position you might want to try..prone, sitting, etc..but 99% of the time it will probably be off of sticks...

Ripp

--------------------

MKresinske
.275 member

#123122 - 06/01/09 07:21 AM

I shoot a lot prone and sitting. Feel very comfortable at 200 yards. I have never been very good shooting freehand standing , usually have to find a tree quick. "A man has to know his limitations". I was going to buy some fancy sticks from Cabela's, but I think I will make a set out of sticks and some leather straps. If I can shoot off of it, I should be prepared to shoot from anything.

tophet1
.400 member

Reged: 15/09/07
Loc: NSW, Australia
      #123138 - 06/01/09 01:55 PM

For practise from shooting sticks I bought three brrom handles from an el-cheapo bargain store and tied them together with string. Good enough to practise with.

Stephen_Palos
.224 member

Reged: 11/10/08
Loc: South Africa
Re: Need Advice - Bullet recommendation [Re: tophet1]
      #123176 - 07/01/09 12:06 AM

Odds are those Power-Shoks will be more than perfect, but just be careful of very close shots on the hard point of large shoulders on bigger animals. It's a soft, un-bonded bullet at almost 2700fps MV and could be a bit frangible in such an instance.

Is there any reason you have not considdered the Federal loaded with the 300gr Nosler Partition? It's just that I think it good insurance to up the ante' a bit in terms of bullet quality.

What area of SA are you going to be hunting?

--------------------
I hunt because I am human, so hunting is an expression of my humanity.

Ripp
.577 member

#123178 - 07/01/09 12:27 AM

Quote:

I shoot a lot prone and sitting. Feel very comfortable at 200 yards. I have never been very good shooting freehand standing , usually have to find a tree quick. "A man has to know his limitations". I was going to buy some fancy sticks from Cabela's, but I think I will make a set out of sticks and some leather straps. If I can shoot off of it, I should be prepared to shoot from anything.

You can also order a pair from LONG GRASS --they pull apart for ease of travel and you could actually take your own along..some do, some don't--depending on their experience..but practice is very important as in hand placement, etc...imo, easy once you get the hang of it..but as it is not common, needs to be practiced...

Good luck

Ripp

--------------------

TerryR
.224 member

Reged: 13/07/04
Loc: Greensburg, Pa.
      #123217 - 07/01/09 07:03 AM

I have used 300 TBBC's for everything and have been very satisfied with them. I have a set of the long grass shooting sticks and I feel that they are the best available. I wouldn't bother taking them to Africa as your PH will have his own.

MKresinske
.275 member

Re: Need Advice - Bullet recommendation [Re: TerryR]
      #123246 - 07/01/09 11:21 AM

I found the Long Grass sticks on the web. I will be down in Harrisburg PA for the Sportsman's show starting February 7. I will have to call the company and see if someone will have them there. If not, I will just order them on the web.

MKresinske
.275 member

Re: Need Advice - Bullet recommendation [Re: Stephen_Palos]
      #123248 - 07/01/09 11:33 AM

Quote:

Is there any reason you have not considdered the Federal loaded with the 300gr Nosler Partition? It's just that I think it good insurance to up the ante' a bit in terms of bullet quality.

When I bought the 375 H&H, I was given 2 boxes of Federal 270 gr SP. They shot well, so that is what I have been using. I will probably go to a 300gr premium bullet (A framae, accubond etc.)before I go to Africa if I can find the time to shoot them and feel comfortable. I have confidence in the rounds I am currently shooting.

We are hunting with Wild Footprint Safaris in SA. Rustenburg area about an hour and half northwest of Johannesburg.

Ripp
.577 member

#123264 - 07/01/09 02:05 PM

Quote:

Quote:

When I bought the 375 H&H, I was given 2 boxes of Federal 270 gr SP. They shot well, so that is what I have been using. I will probably go to a 300gr premium bullet (A framae, accubond etc.)before I go to Africa if I can find the time to shoot them and feel comfortable. I have confidence in the rounds I am currently shooting.

We are hunting with Wild Footprint Safaris in SA. Rustenburg area about an hour and half northwest of Johannesburg.

In my Sako 75--300 gr A-Frames in Remington Factory loads shoot well--I have also used RL-15 for my own with both A-Frames and Barnes Solids..both shoot really well ..

The only issue I have had with Accubonds which would NOT be a problem with a .375, is they did not hold up very well, at least in my experience, if you exceed 3000 fps..I used them on PG out of my 300 Ultra several years ago--shooting 180's at around 3375 fps...not a good combo...

If you wanted to use a plastic tipped bullet I personally like the Swift Scirroco better has it has a thicker jacket --is a bit longer which also offers a better BC..but not offered in .375...

Iif you are happy with what you are using and they shoot good I would stick with them--if you are going to reload..I would personally use the A-Frame..but, again, that's me...

Ripp

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 47 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3789

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com