Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Cholera strikes Zimbabwe

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
larcher
.416 member

Reged: 11/01/05
Loc: Saverne, Alsace, France
Cholera strikes Zimbabwe
      #120349 - 05/12/08 03:41 AM

World Health Organisation figures show there have been 12,546 reported cases and 484 deaths nationwide since August.

Some local doctors believe the number of fatalities could be as high as 1,000.

The disease, carried by contaminated water, has spread across most of the country and is the latest symptom of the collapse of Zimbabwe's basic infrastructure under Robert Mugabe's rule.

outbreak of cholera in Zim

China has shipped vaccins (value 500 k $), about 5 million doses. A pity that China keeps on backing Mugabe but for once it's useful.

China supplies millions of doses of vaccine

I recommend that You ask your friend in Zimbabwe if they need some vaccines, that the least that we can do for them.
I am not sure that they high on the priority list.

--------------------
"I don't want to create an encyclopedic atmosphere here when we might be having a beer instead" P H Capstick in "Safari the last adventure."

Edited by larcher (05/12/08 04:19 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
tophet1
.400 member

Reged: 15/09/07
Loc: NSW, Australia
Re: Cholera strikes Zimbabwe [Re: larcher]
      #120369 - 05/12/08 09:20 AM

This will affect the indigenous population before it reaches the white community. Tragic but shouldn't affect travellers to the main tourist spots.

Got back four weeks ago and Zim was safer than RSA.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Cholera strikes Zimbabwe [Re: tophet1]
      #120374 - 05/12/08 01:01 PM

Zimbabwe, the Congo of the 2000's.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

SafariHunt
.333 member

Reged: 02/01/03
Loc: Pretoria RSA
      #120387 - 05/12/08 03:59 PM

Quote:

Got back four weeks ago and Zim was safer than RSA.

You obviously haven't seen the news recently of the riot police attacking crowds of people in the bigger cities. Things are getting out of hand and I would also still have gone to Zim 4 weeks ago. But the situation is quickly going backwards even SA is thinking to climb in with drastic measures.

There is no more medical care, nurses doctors on strike, police and army members looting. Red cross is trying to help but there is no medicine. And the people are hungry. I'm sure things are quieter outside the big cities well see wht happens.

--------------------
"Sleeping under the African sky I can see nothing wrong with this world!"

tophet1
.400 member

Re: Cholera strikes Zimbabwe [Re: SafariHunt]
      #120390 - 05/12/08 04:44 PM

I did see some TV footage from Harare but failed to see any whites involved. It wasn't very long footage however.

From what we saw whilst in Bulawayo for five days, before heading out on our own for ten days in Hwange and Vic Falls, most people were too busy trying to feed themselves.

I'm planning to go back in 18 months and hunt there. The place has certainly gone down the drain but the kids got to see a world that not many see and they are now certainly glad they are Australians.

It's interesting that cholera is getting such a huge coverage when HIV and Aids has been around a lot longer and is so much more prevalent in RSA and Zim.

Edit.: I guess the reason we felt not so safe in RSA was due to the economic disparity between the minority whites and the black africans. We felt like we were the white mice surrounded by the lions. It was not a feeling we experienced in Zimbabwe at all. The other thing that really struck my wife and I was the vast decrease in numbers of middle class, educated, white collar whites. They all seem to have taken off overseas. This was very apparent compared to our last visit in 1992.

I'm not going to try and predict what will happen in Zim or RSA, all I can give are my impressions as a visitor who has been going to southern Africa over a period of 22 years.

Edited by tophet1 (05/12/08 04:54 PM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #120404 - 05/12/08 06:57 PM

Quote:

I did see some TV footage from Harare but failed to see any whites involved. It wasn't very long footage however.

TV in Zim is controlled by the Gov't so you wouldn't see much while in Zim.

Quote:

It was not a feeling we experienced in Zimbabwe at all. The other thing that really struck my wife and I was the vast decrease in numbers of middle class, educated, white collar whites. They all seem to have taken off overseas. This was very apparent compared to our last visit in 1992.

I'm not going to try and predict what will happen in Zim or RSA, all I can give are my impressions as a visitor who has been going to southern Africa over a period of 22 years.

If you were in Zim in 1992 it was vastly different. Yes most of the white population has left in the last eight years, and many ie millions of the black population as well.

If you mean, South Africa, the exodus started around 1993/1994 when the first black inclusive elections were held. Though many were leaving even in the mid-1980's. However there are millions of whites in South Africa compared to a few hundred/few thousands in Zimbabwe.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

tophet1
.400 member

Re: Cholera strikes Zimbabwe [Re: NitroX]
      #120409 - 05/12/08 07:49 PM

My apolgies, I saw footage of Harare after I returned home.

The white exodus was most pronounced in SA.

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
      #120411 - 05/12/08 08:25 PM

It is a good thing RSA ditched the Bomb before turning over the country over to the ANC.

I cannot imagine otherwise...

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

bigmaxx
.375 member

Reged: 13/06/07
Loc: Bowling Green KY U.S.A.
Re: Cholera strikes Zimbabwe [Re: 9.3x57]
      #120479 - 06/12/08 02:30 PM

Its a terrible fate for such wonderful people. I made some very good friends there and have grave concern for them. I pray for a speedy end to Mugabe and relief for the people of Zimbabwe.

--------------------
One day at a time...

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Cholera strikes Zimbabwe [Re: bigmaxx]
      #120521 - 07/12/08 08:14 AM

Bigmaxx,

I second those sediments, hopefully a higher power will intervene very soon.

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
Re: Cholera strikes Zimbabwe [Re: bigmaxx]
      #120537 - 07/12/08 11:35 AM

I saw on the news today that even Bishop Desmond Tutu of South Africa is calling on other African nations to band together and overthrow Mugabe by whatever means is necessary.

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Cholera strikes Zimbabwe [Re: mikeh416Rigby]
      #120604 - 08/12/08 07:08 AM

Quote:

I saw on the news today that even Bishop Desmond Tutu of South Africa is calling on other African nations to band together and overthrow Mugabe by whatever means is necessary.

Heard that as well today on the national news...one can only hope BOB is out of there sooner than later..

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
Re: Cholera strikes Zimbabwe [Re: Ripp]
      #120627 - 08/12/08 10:36 AM

God, I hope so...

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Cholera strikes Zimbabwe [Re: JabaliHunter]
      #120629 - 08/12/08 11:08 AM

Well, he's not getting any younger.

The next guy will have his work cut out for him...

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

McLarenSafaris
.224 member

Reged: 24/03/05
Loc: Soutpan, Free State, South Afr...
Re: Cholera strikes Zimbabwe [Re: 9.3x57]
      #120821 - 10/12/08 05:47 PM

Robert Mugabe should not be part of a Government of National Unity. He lost an election. He should be told to just give up. It is a very confusing message to send that if you loose an election, you simply do not announce the resulats and stay in power. And to think that most of the world backed Mbeki's 'quiet diplomacy' policy of giving in to mad Bob. He should have been told way back by Mbeki to admit to loosing and to quit! But instead the ANC supported Mugabe. And so did every nation who did not have the guts to just call the facts that Bob lost the election!

Easy for me to sit back now and say what 'should have been done'......

In good hunting.

Andrew McLaren

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Re: Cholera strikes Zimbabwe [Re: McLarenSafaris]
      #120928 - 11/12/08 08:59 PM

From http://news.bbc.co.uk
Page last updated at 09:21 GMT, Thursday, 11 December 2008

Cholera is 'S African disaster'

Nearly 800 people have died from cholera in Zimbabwe

South African officials have declared part of their border with Zimbabwe a disaster area amid a cholera epidemic.

"Extraordinary measures are needed to deal with the situation," Limpopo provincial government spokesman Mogale Nchabeleng told Reuters news agency.

He said the declaration affected Vhembe district, which includes the border crossing point of Musina.

Hundreds of Zimbabweans have sought treatment in South Africa as their health services are close to collapse.

Nearly 800 people have died from cholera in Zimbabwe and 16,000 been treated.

In Limpopo, South Africa's northernmost province, at least eight people have died from the easily preventable disease and more than 660 people have been treated.

"The provincial government took a decision that the whole of the Vhembe district should be declared a disaster area," Mr Nchabeleng said.

The disaster status would free up funding and focus relief efforts, he added.

South African Health Minister Barbara Hogan visited the affected region on Wednesday to assess the situation.

She warned the epidemic will probably keep getting worse until a new government is formed in Zimbabwe.

President Robert Mugabe's ruling Zanu-PF party and Movement for Democratic Change (MDC) have been deadlocked in power-sharing negotiations for several months.

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #120940 - 12/12/08 01:22 AM

WOW---one more nail in the coffin for the poor people of this nation...not to mention, I am sure,this will not do much to help the Safari business as well...BOB NEEDS TO GO...NOW...

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

EricD
.416 member

Reged: 27/02/04
Re: Cholera strikes Zimbabwe [Re: Ripp]
      #120951 - 12/12/08 02:55 AM

While I agree with everyone that Bob needs to go now, I fear that the next guy won't be any better at all. I have the impression from Zim friends that Mugabe is in fact not in charge any more, nor has he really been in quite a long time. He's a figurehead for the heads of military/intel, and they are the ones pulling the strings. It is also very likely that they will continue to do so even when Bob is gone.

In other words, it'll be the same shit with a different label.

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Re: Cholera strikes Zimbabwe [Re: EricD]
      #120958 - 12/12/08 04:42 AM

I think you may be right - reports at the time suggested that when it was widely reported that Mugabe lost the election he was in fact preparing to announce the result and step down. It seems he was dissuaded from doing so by pressure from high ranking military officials afraid of future reprisals? Then there was no comment for a week or so and then all of a sudden the thugs were out and a new election was planned... I don't think he pulls the strings anymore

SafariHunt
.333 member

Reged: 02/01/03
Loc: Pretoria RSA
      #120962 - 12/12/08 05:12 AM

Mad Bob again !!!

Cholera threat over - Mugabe
11/12/2008 12:07 - (SA)

Harare - Zimbabwe President Robert Mugabe said on Thursday that "there is no cholera" in his country, saying doctors have tamed an outbreak, despite UN reports of a growing death toll.

"I am happy to say our doctors have been assisted by others and WHO (the World Health Organisation)... so now that there is no cholera," he said in a nationally televised speech.

He also denounced calls by Prime Minister Gordon Brown of former colonial power Britain and US President George W Bush for him to step down.

"Because of cholera, Mr Brown wants a military intervention," he said. "Bush wants military intervention because of cholera."

"There is no cause for war any more," Mugabe said. "The cholera cause doesn't exist any more."

- AFP

--------------------
"Sleeping under the African sky I can see nothing wrong with this world!"

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: Cholera strikes Zimbabwe [Re: SafariHunt]
      #121029 - 12/12/08 09:40 PM

SafariHunt:
I saw that news broadcast too, and immediately stopped worrying. After all, if Mugabe says there's no cholera, the epidemic must be over.

He's a straight-up honest guy, right?

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 63 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3647

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com