Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: What action for a take down single shot?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Single Shots & Combination Guns

Pages: 1
Chasseur
.375 member

Reged: 18/11/03
Loc: Hunting classic Indian game!
What action for a take down single shot?
      #116345 - 06/10/08 08:34 AM

This might be a silly idea, but...I've been thinking lately about getting a custom single shot 270 made for me.

I stalk axis deer and mouflon here in Hawaii on really rough lava rock in very hot weather. Its a backpack hunt, packing in several mils and then packing out. Having a break down, light weight single shot seems to be the ticket for my hunting. That way after the kill I can break down the rifle and strap it to my pack frame when I have the long pack out with the meat.

I make do with a bolt 30-06 but making my way back in 90 heat with 50lbs of meat in a packframe while trying to deal with 8lbs of rifle/scope/ammunition/sling etc is getting old.

270 would work well for the ranges and game shot, and also we have very limited ammo section on the outer islands I hunt on and 270 is one of the only availible calibers in store.

My question is what action would you recomend to start with?

Or is my idea silly? Just some thoughts in my head...

--------------------
In regards to action he should devote himself to hunting...
-Machiavelli

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Tatume
.400 member

Reged: 09/06/07
Loc: Gloucester, Va USA
Re: What action for a take down single shot? [Re: Chasseur]
      #116346 - 06/10/08 09:03 AM

Actually, I have an H&R in 270 that appears to fit your bill. For a year I took it to the range once per month, assembled it and installed the scope, and fired one shot into a target that I saved and reused for the year. The 12-shot, 100-yard group was about two inches.

The laminated stock is a little heavy, but could be milled to remove some weight. My "case" is a beach towel that I folded double and sewed into three pockets. The barrel goes in one, the stock/receiver into another, and the scope goes into the third. It is then rolled up and secured with a large rubber band. Except for not being "classey," it's a pretty nice rig.

Take care, Tom

Kalunga
.333 member

Reged: 16/06/06
Loc: Germany
Re: What action for a take down single shot? [Re: Tatume]
      #116350 - 06/10/08 10:03 AM

If You don`t want a custom rifle You might be interested in the Merkel K1 rifle. The K1 has an action made from aluminium alloy and weighs about 2,5 kg. The action is the excellent "Simson-Jäger-Verschluss" which is much stronger than anything else I know except a falling block action. Blaser uses the same action in their K95, which is an alternative but only if You are not interested in craftmanship, all Blasers are completely made on CNC-machines.
If You want something special, have a look at a Martin Hagn take-down falling block rifle.

Kalunga

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: What action for a take down single shot? [Re: Kalunga]
      #116351 - 06/10/08 10:16 AM

Whatever happened to the Thompson-Center SS?

The only one I ever saw had a barrel that wobbled.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Chasseur
.375 member

Reged: 18/11/03
Loc: Hunting classic Indian game!
      #116352 - 06/10/08 10:37 AM

Thanks guys!

I should clarify, by "custom" I mean me and a gunsmith buddy putting something together and not getting a high-end gun from Stephen Dodd Hughes.

--------------------
In regards to action he should devote himself to hunting...
-Machiavelli

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #116354 - 06/10/08 11:01 AM

Since you mentioned a custom rifle, I think a Ruger #1 would make a nice take-down single shot rifle. The 'latch' could be on the off-side of the action from your face location left or right and fairly simply done. Of course, interupted threads would be a must.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

kamilaroi
.400 member

Reged: 18/12/04
Loc: sydney, new south wales, Austr...
Re: What action for a take down single shot? [Re: DarylS]
      #116360 - 06/10/08 11:25 AM

I thought a buttress thread would be the first criterion.

DoubleD
.400 member

Reged: 23/11/03
Loc: Retired in Oklahoma
      #116362 - 06/10/08 11:30 AM

What your a describing sounds like a Thompson Center Encore.

--------------------
DD, Ret.

beleg2
.375 member

Reged: 15/08/07
Loc: Bahía Blanca - Argentina
Re: What action for a take down single shot? [Re: DoubleD]
      #116367 - 06/10/08 01:26 PM

Another option tha a spanish friend use is to take the butt stock.
He do it on a Browning BAr but you can do the same with a Ruger Nº1.
Martin

9.3x57
.450 member

#116373 - 06/10/08 01:55 PM

Quote:

Those might be an option, but I'm referring to the one they brought out years ago that IIRC only stayed in production for a short time and was a forerunner of the current series of ss's. I can't remember the name of it. It was a nice looking rifle, at least from a distance, with a sort-of classic stock. I don't remember what it was called.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

DoubleD
.400 member

Reged: 23/11/03
Loc: Retired in Oklahoma
Re: What action for a take down single shot? [Re: 9.3x57]
      #116378 - 06/10/08 02:51 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Those might be an option, but I'm referring to the one they brought out years ago that IIRC only stayed in production for a short time and was a forerunner of the current series of ss's. I can't remember the name of it. It was a nice looking rifle, at least from a distance, with a sort-of classic stock. I don't remember what it was called.

The rifle you mean I think is the TCR83 and TCR87. I know a guy with 5 to sell. http://www.assra.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1223072654

--------------------
DD, Ret.

450_366
.400 member

Reged: 17/01/07
Loc: Sweden, west-coast.
      #116381 - 06/10/08 05:41 PM

There are som "cheap" italian kipplaufs like sabatti for instance.

http://www.sabatti.it/eng/framesetbasculanti.htm

--------------------
Andreas

"Yeas it kicks like a mule he said, but always remember that its much worse standing on the other end"

9.3x57
.450 member

#116388 - 07/10/08 12:24 AM

Quote:

The rifle you mean I think is the TCR83 and TCR87. I know a guy with 5 to sell. http://www.assra.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1223072654

That's it.

Are these things any good?

I think they are pretty good-looking rifles, but have no experience with them.

Also, IIRC, they came out with an easy-on/easy-off TC scope mount. It was massive and heavy, but the ones we put on muzzleloaders held up well and they could be taken off by merely pulling on the scope and lifting. Not sure how they stood up over time. I do not see them anymore, either.

--------------------

zimhunter
.333 member

Reged: 05/02/04
Loc: Southern Arizona
Re: What action for a take down single shot? [Re: 9.3x57]
      #116395 - 07/10/08 01:44 AM

I had the top of line TCR in 219 Donaldson Wasp. Had absolutely nothing but good things to say about it except for the rather weird safety. It was a consistant 1/2" gun. Only downside was making up the brass. I had RCBS dies and made it from 30-30 shortened and neck reamed. As is usual with most guns I've HAD I wish I had it back.

Glenn_Fewless
.300 member

Reged: 08/05/08
Loc: Wisconsin, USA
      #116399 - 07/10/08 04:17 AM

Mr. Chasseur:

Given your choice of chamberings, the first consideration will have to be extraction of the rimless case. Generally speaking, single shot actions work best with rimmed cases. The one commercial action that does have a reliable rimless extractor is the Ruger #1. In fact everything about the #1 is reliable, which is a significant feature considering how far you are walking back in the hills.

The take down design can be as simple as the set screw lock used on the Stevens 44 and 44-1/2, or some variation of the cross pin lock. They all do pretty much the same thing. The key to a good repeatable take down set up is a good barrel fit with as much metal contact as possible. This means lapping the action face square to the threads and cutting perfectly formed barrel threads. You need the barrel to be solid as soon as the shoulder comes up tight. Any mushiness to the fit and you will be plagued by premature wear.

Also, you are going to need removable scope mounts, although it is possible that with a quarter turn interrupted threads you could do with fixed mounts.

Best of luck on the project!

Glenn

peter
removed

Reged: 11/04/07
Loc: denmark
Re: What action for a take down single shot? [Re: Glenn_Fewless]
      #116402 - 07/10/08 04:52 AM

hi chasseur

these jones underlevers can be had for a decent dollar, especially the ones without the names on them.

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat....=true#Post82806

then get your gunsmith to put a 7x57r barrel on and voila.... a light single shot that reeks of style and wont put you into the grave because of the price.

best regards

peter

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
Re: What action for a take down single shot? [Re: peter]
      #116406 - 07/10/08 05:26 AM

I like your style!

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
      #116413 - 07/10/08 07:46 AM

An easier way to make a Ruger No. 1 into a take down is to simply modify the stock bolt so that it is accessible without removing the buttplate. Replacing the factory stock bolt with one with an Allen head would permit making only a small round hole in the buttplate or pad, like the one in my Perazzi shotgun stock, to provide access for a long Allen wrench to do the job, and would obviate the need for any elaborate alteration of barrel and/or action.

Previous contributors have mentioned the advisability of replacing the soft Ruger rings with Warne or Talley equivalents to assure return to zero after removing and remounting the scope. Probably the best plan would be to keep the rifle assembled until the game is down, then dismounting the scope and stock to allow the rifle to be compactly stowed for the return trip.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 31 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Huvius 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6970

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com