Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: .577 Nitro express effectivness

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
450_366
.400 member

Reged: 17/01/07
Loc: Sweden, west-coast.
Re: .577 Nitro express effectivness [Re: Huvius]
      #116412 - 07/10/08 07:08 AM

Yeas they did new cartridges but not larger ones. Probably the human race is getting weaker as the years go on.

But a slow big bullet must give more of a shock than a smaller and faster, people that get shot thru the body sometimes react much less than someone that gets kicked, that is for the first moments offcourse. And using solids the only way of increase the shock is to make it bigger and heavyer not faster. If you miss the brain all the speed in the world wont matter, its still a miss.
Then you would want something that is able to couse a large hydrostatic wave to shake the brain, that is if you hit tissue, if only scull is hit you want it to take out as large peace as possible that way giving the most trauma. A 6,5mm bullet is sufficient to kill a elephant but most used larger once, why? probably becourse you had a little more chance of getting it down.

--------------------
Andreas

"Yeas it kicks like a mule he said, but always remember that its much worse standing on the other end"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
Re: .577 Nitro express effectivness [Re: Charles_Helm]
      #116427 - 07/10/08 02:39 PM

Quote:

I have no experience hunting elephants, but Taylor's assertions about this or that round stunning an elephant for this or that amount of time have been the kingpins in my personal belief that he was for the most part a fraud.

I have stunned elephants by missing their brain with a 500 NE. Several times. I also knocked one flat on its ass with a 505 Gibbs to the head, but the elephant was back up in a flash.

And I was there when an elephant got away with two .375 H&H solids through the head, and never flinched or paused.

hoppdoc
.400 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: Southeastern USA
Re: .577 Nitro express effectivness [Re: 500grains]
      #116428 - 07/10/08 03:19 PM

Corresponded with Gerard Schulz of GS ammunition and he feels his 540 gr Flat banded Solid 500 NE is a better Ele round that he discontinued his 570 gr round--

The 540 gr runs at 2300-2350 vs the heavier round.

Some literature suggests Hydrostatic forces on tissue have been attributed to velocities around 2300fps.Whether this would matter in a honeycombed Ele skull is another matter.

Could it be that the higher velocity of the lighter solid and hydrostatic effect of its velocity makes it a better "stopper" when hitting close to the brain than the heavier flat nose round or the 600 gr Woodleighs??? Gerard states that the penetration depth of the 540 gr @ 2350 should be similar to the 600 gr Woodleigh @2100.

Thoughts anyone??

--------------------
An armed man is a citizen of his country, an unarmed man just a subject.

JPK
.375 member

Reged: 31/08/04
Loc: Chevy Chase, MD
Re: .577 Nitro express effectivness [Re: 500grains]
      #116468 - 08/10/08 04:30 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I have no experience hunting elephants, but Taylor's assertions about this or that round stunning an elephant for this or that amount of time have been the kingpins in my personal belief that he was for the most part a fraud.

I have stunned elephants by missing their brain with a 500 NE. Several times. I also knocked one flat on its ass with a 505 Gibbs to the head, but the elephant was back up in a flash.

And I was there when an elephant got away with two .375 H&H solids through the head, and never flinched or paused.

I have dropped a couple of elephants with missed brain shots. Reaction varried from down and struggling to rise to absolutely out cold with the only sign of life eye reaction to the touch.

I killed one elephant with a missed brain shot that passed about an inch and a half over the brain. The elephant froze and its eyes went absolutely blank, then it shuddered and fell over like the dead weight it was.

A couple of elephants on which I missed the brain shot failed to fall. Missed by a good bit on these.

Bulls are more imune from any effect of a missed shot, in my experience.

Cartridge was 458wm.

JPK

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 97 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7631

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com