Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Two Buffalo with Doma Safaris / Gordon Duncan - August 08

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
new_guy
Sponsor

Reged: 10/08/04
Loc: Texas
Two Buffalo with Doma Safaris / Gordon Duncan - August 08
      #113141 - 01/09/08 01:18 AM

Safari Operator: Doma Safaris www.DomaSafaris.com
PH: Gordon Duncan
Rifles: HEYM “PH” 450/400 & Satterlee 7x57

Flights went well with no luggage problems (DFW-ATL-JNB-HRE). Those headed to Zim are still well advised to bring their own carbon paper for the Zim firearms permits though, as this will definitely save you some time getting the required paperwork done.

Despite all the media coverage on the violence, election fraud and subsequent runoff, everything seems as normal as can be expected in Harare. There are the usual police and military road-blocks outside of the city, but we were waved through all of them but one. And then they only requested to see a driver’s license from Gordon and – jokingly – requested we bring them back some meat after the hunt.

Aside from the comical inflation rates (the government has just decided to drop ten zeros from the currency denominations), the biggest day-to-day problems for residents seem to be with the utilities in Harare and across Zim in general. Rolling blackouts are the daily norm for the entire country. They seem to follow no particular pattern other than the fact that you can count on having no electricity for part of / most of the day.

Electricity isn’t as much of a problem for those in Harare as water is. Everyone has come to expect something between intermittent to no running water. A few reported not having had any for the past few months, but they too seem to have “made a plan” and are carrying on as usual. Of course this wouldn’t affect your hunt in Zim, as Safari camps will be operating in remote areas and have independent supplies of electricity and water.

We were hunting on an 80K acre property between Tuli and Beitbridge. The Limpopo provided the Southern border with communal lands to the North and West. The terrain varied from extremely thick and jungle-like along the river to Mopani thickets and more open, arid plains as you progress farther to the North and away from the river. In between were huge sandstone kopjes and even palm groves.

On day one, we were checking water holes for fresh buffalo sign and also looking for Hyena bait as we went. We found a female bushbuck that had lost the lower half of her back leg in a snare, and although the wound had healed nicely (and painfully I’m sure), we decided to end her worries of a Leopard or Hyena finding her first.

As “targets of opportunity” often arise on a hunt, we also crossed paths with this nice Steenbok.

Day two was more productive and we were on the fresh spoor of 6 bulls by mid morning. We tracked them into the thick “forest” near the river and caught up to them about half an hour later. There was only one hard-bossed shooter in the group, and Gordon guessed him about 42”. The others were all still too young and too soft. We played tag with them in the thick stuff until midday without getting another look at the one we wanted, and finally left them to bed down in the heat of the day.

That afternoon we were back on them. The wind was in our favor this time, and we got within about 60-yards of the 6 bulls. They meddled around in a small clearing for about half an hour, but we could not get another look at the hard-bossed bull. He stayed out of sight in the thick surroundings. They eventually winded us, and the chase was on again. We perused them until dark, but never got another look or shot at the bull we wanted.

The next morning we were making the water hole rounds again and ran into a scout that said he had seen an old, lone bull further down river the day before. He pointed us in the right direction and a couple of hours later, we were on his tracks.

This band of vegetation along the river is THICK! When we weren’t crawling on hands and knees through tunnels, we were backtracking to find another way through some of this impenetrable vegetation. Eventually we came into a small clearing and one of the trackers spotted the old bull bedded down in the thick stuff about 30-yards away.

Gordon and I moved ahead of the trackers and into position as the bull stood up to give us a look. His top half was covered by the vegetation, but we could see enough of the worn tips and hard boss to know this was a shooter. I did not have a shot standing up, and quickly knelt on one knee to get a line of sight under the brush he was in.

He was slightly quartering to me when I hit him with a 400gr Swift from the right barrel. As he turned to run, I hit him with the 400gr Hornady solid from the left barrel. He hobbled about 15-yards through some unimaginably thick stuff and into a small clearing on the other side. We tried to follow his trail, but it was too thick and we had to quickly find a way around it catch him standing in a small opening on the other side. At about 25-yards, I hit him with two more solids and he fell over. I hit him once more with the “insurance” shot, and he gave the death bellow shortly thereafter.

This one should measure about 35".

The Swift hit in the right front shoulder, broke the front leg and was found under the skin on the off side.

It weighed 338 grains, and had mushroomed on 3-sides.

None of the solids were recovered. They were all pass-throughs.

The Hyena bait had been refreshed a couple of times up to this point with a couple of impala and an elephant skull from the hunt before mine. The baits were being hit regularly. After dinner a couple of nights later, we set out to sit on the bait for the first time. The baits were placed at the bottom of a large sandstone kopje. We drove to the backside of the kopje and walked the last 400-yards or so up on to the top of the kopje. On our approach, we could hear them calling and had a pretty good idea they were already on the bait or on their way to it.

The moon was full that night and the sky was clear. When we eased up to the top of the kopje and looked some 40-feet below, we could see Hyena, jackals and even a porcupine milling around the bait below. We picked out what appeared to be the largest Hyena, and I gave him one from the 7x57.

We could clearly see dust fly in the moonlight and all began to doubt that I had hit him as he ran from the impact of the bullet and up a dry river bed towards the kopje. About a minute later, we heard what could be best described as a Hyena “death bellow” and decided to give him another 30-minutes just in case the shot hadn’t been as well placed as I hoped.

Interestingly, after I fired the shot, the rest of the Hyena did absolutely nothing! They stopped, looked and continued feeding.

We headed back down the backside of the kopje to the truck and drove around to the front where the bait was located. We walked about 50-yards up the dry river bed to find him piled up. The bullet entered behind the ribs on the front side and exited through the shoulder on the off side. That was my kind of Hyena hunting – having them at the bait waiting on me, rather than the other way around!

On to the second buff: We had spent several days looking for tracks at the water holes and even decided to follow up on a fresh set of tracks from a herd to see if some old guys had meandered in there, but only found soft bossed bulls when we caught up to the herd.

The next day we decided to look back in the thick stuff along the river in the same type of cover where we had found the first bull. Sure enough, we ran into fresh spoor from two bulls and started on their tracks. We eventually found them bedded down in what could best be described as a brush “cave” – completely enclosed on the top and three sides, with only a small entry hole. We could make out the one bull’s horns pretty well. He had a nice spread (Gordon guessed him in the 46” range), but his boss was soft. The second bull we could see had nice spread and hooks, but we couldn’t see his boss.

The wide bull knew we were there and eventually grew impatient with our “window peeping” on them. They finally bust out of the brush cave and give us only enough time to see the second bull’s boss and determine him to be a shooter before they ran back in the thick stuff along the river.

To make an already long story “less long”, we track these bulls for the rest of the day, but only get a few shot opportunities at the wide, soft bull. The older, hard-bossed bull never presented himself.

Next morning we’re back on their tracks and finally think we have them isolated in the thick stuff. We made a loop around this area to see if we could find tracks leading out and did not. Now we’re convinced they’re in there… we just have to go in and get them.

We hadn’t gone 20-yards in, when the lead tracker snaps his fingers and drops to one knee. Gordon and I rush to the front of the line and look into a small clearing to see the wide, soft-bossed bull eyeing us from about 30-yards. He’s clearly had enough of us by now and is really posturing like he wants to come give us a closer look. We’re trying to keep him covered and still look for the other bull, but his actions have both mine and Gordon’s attention.

He finally backs down, and I happen to glance 45-degrees to my right and see the silhouette of the second bull at about 20-yards in some really thick stuff (he’s been standing there all along). I immediately go up the front leg with the sights and pull the trigger 1/3 of the way up the body. He turns to run, and I hit him with the solid in the second barrel.

All is now quiet, and although the first bull (the wide one) is out of sight, we’ve not actually heard or seen him run. We find the blood trail on the second bull and start easing in after him – constantly on the lookout for the other bull. It’s slow moving in the thick stuff with Gordon and I taking turns crawling while the other kneels as we work our way down the blood trail towards the downed bull. About 15-yeards inside the thick stuff, we found the second bull dead, but sat quietly by him for about 5-minutes trying to locate the first bull. Convinced finally that the first bull has moved on, we call in the trackers.

Hard bossed, with nice hooks, this one should measure about 42".

The entry hole on the shoulder (from the first shot) is oblong, and I start to doubt the angle of the bull when I fired the first shot. I replayed the image of the bull and the shot in my mind and couldn’t figure out why the hole was so oddly shaped.

We went back to where the first shot was fired and found that two branches had been hit. The first one the bullet cut into a bit, and the second one was broken cleanly. The bullet had obviously been turned in flight and hit the buff’s shoulder sideways. Although the first bullet broke the buff’s shoulder, it was clearly the second solid that did the real damage and put him down quickly.

Here’s the first limb that was hit.

The accommodations were great, the food was great, and the weather was a welcome relief from 105-degrees in Dallas.

The lodge at night.

A nice Mopani fire.

A full moon over some palms.

Gordon is a great guy and a great PH that puts on a first-class hunt!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Cinghiale
.333 member

Reged: 15/04/08
Loc: Northern Territory
Re: Two Buffalo with Doma Safaris / Gordon Duncan - August 08 [Re: new_guy]
      #113244 - 01/09/08 07:34 PM

Congratulations NewGuy,
What a pair you have there. Your photography and writing are brilliant and the Heym is just stunning.
Definately one to remmeber.

Regards,

MOG

Ben
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/08
Loc: Northern Territory, Australia
Re: Two Buffalo with Doma Safaris / Gordon Duncan - August 08 [Re: Cinghiale]
      #113250 - 01/09/08 08:41 PM

Yep, top stuff!

hoppdoc
.400 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: Southeastern USA
Re: Two Buffalo with Doma Safaris / Gordon Duncan - August 08 [Re: Cinghiale]
      #113251 - 01/09/08 08:47 PM

Great photo's!!

Great Hunt!!

The Heym 450/400 is FINE!!

Question-- Would a low power QD scope have any application for your shooting situations or should only open sights apply??

--------------------
An armed man is a citizen of his country, an unarmed man just a subject.

new_guy
Sponsor

Re: Two Buffalo with Doma Safaris / Gordon Duncan - August 08 [Re: hoppdoc]
      #113262 - 02/09/08 12:09 AM

Quote:

Question-- Would a low power QD scope have any application for your shooting situations or should only open sights apply??

This particular area was pretty thick, and we were never farther than 60-80 yards from buff when shot opportunities presented themselves. Unfortunately, those longer shot opportunities were always for the wrong buffalo, but I have shot this rifle enough that I am quite comfortable open sighted to 100 yards.

85% of the time, however, we were in thick stuff where 30-feet would have been a long shot, and a Q/D scope would have definitely been OFF the rifle.

Generally speaking though, I think a Q/D scope (in claw mounts) adds a lot of versatility to a double. It definitely extends the effective shooting range of most shooters' eyesight, and that's of obvious benefit when hunting areas where the cover may not be as thick or when after some other species.

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Re: Two Buffalo with Doma Safaris / Gordon Duncan - August 0 [Re: new_guy]
      #113289 - 02/09/08 06:07 AM

What a relief to find your positively posed pics to go with your tale NG...excellent!

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

Nakihunter
.375 member

Reged: 13/10/07
Loc: New Zealand
Re: Two Buffalo with Doma Safaris / Gordon Duncan - August 0 [Re: gryphon]
      #113307 - 02/09/08 11:54 AM

My dreams of hunting buffalo are rekindled! Great stuff & thanks for sharing.

--------------------
Always shoot through the target & not just at it.

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
Re: Two Buffalo with Doma Safaris / Gordon Duncan - August 08 [Re: new_guy]
      #113309 - 02/09/08 12:09 PM

Great story, and great trophies. Congratulations!

Paul
.400 member

Reged: 28/08/07
Loc: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Re: Two Buffalo with Doma Safaris / Gordon Duncan - August 08 [Re: mikeh416Rigby]
      #113333 - 02/09/08 04:38 PM

Another great story! Congratulations NG and half your luck. No wonder things have been slow here; the movers and shakers have all been in Africa. Once again, I'd love to hear the gory details of costs and complications, to help me plan a hunt soonish.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #113375 - 02/09/08 11:05 PM

Quote:

We were hunting on an 80K acre property between Tuli and Beitbridge. The Limpopo provided the Southern border with communal lands to the North and West. The terrain varied from extremely thick and jungle-like along the river to Mopani thickets and more open, arid plains as you progress farther to the North and away from the river. In between were huge sandstone kopjes and even palm groves.

Sounds like a nice varied area to hunt.

Lovely steenbok. What did you shoot it with, looks undamaged!

Nice bossed buffalo and exciting hunting in the thick scrub, hey? Perfect environment for the Heym double. The second bull is very impressive.

Trophy branch too.

Chris, thanks for the excellent story and photos. Very enjoyable.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Two Buffalo with Doma Safaris / Gordon Duncan - August 0 [Re: NitroX]
      #113376 - 02/09/08 11:13 PM

Newguy

Great hunt---looks like the Heym worked well...2 buffalo --got to love that.. and a 42" too boot...wow....

I have acutally hunted in that same area in 2004---along with the communal areas...
great area

See you in Reno...

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

new_guy
Sponsor

Re: Two Buffalo with Doma Safaris / Gordon Duncan - August 0 [Re: NitroX]
      #113377 - 02/09/08 11:24 PM

Hi John - Thanks for the compliments.

I shot the steenbok - or steinbok - with my 7x57 and 160gr Nosler partitions. He was looking almost directly at me when I shot, and it provided a great angle for minimizing damage.

Look closely at the photo and you can see where the bullet entered his chest just above his right front leg. It traveled length-wise and exited the opposite end with minimal damage to the cape.

I also shot a female bushbuck and several impala with the 7x57 for Hyena bait. All were spine shots, (less tracking that way) and all the partitions passed through - including the Hyena at a 1/4-ing angle. Overall, I was well pleased with the 7x57 and the Noslers.

--------------------
www.heymUSA.com

ovny
.375 member

Reged: 19/06/08
Loc: Spain
      #115805 - 29/09/08 04:58 AM

Very good tropies, congratulations friend.

Bye,

Oscar.

--------------------
I am Spanish

bigmaxx
.375 member

Reged: 13/06/07
Loc: Bowling Green KY U.S.A.
Re: Two Buffalo with Doma Safaris / Gordon Duncan - August 0 [Re: ovny]
      #115809 - 29/09/08 05:28 AM

Great pics. Wonderful buffalo! Looks like a tremendous area and great safari.

--------------------
One day at a time...

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
      #115833 - 29/09/08 12:56 PM

NG,

Fantastic hunt and lovely report. Congratulations and may you have many more!

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

Cazadero
.375 member

Reged: 17/10/11
Re: Two Buffalo with Doma Safaris / Gordon Duncan - August 0 [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #266451 - 15/06/15 09:41 AM

Nice report

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Two Buffalo with Doma Safaris / Gordon Duncan - August 0 [Re: Cazadero]
      #266452 - 15/06/15 09:56 AM

New Guy - well done - Bravo - good writeup - I enjoyed sharing your hunt.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 349 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7649

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com