Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: are buffalo always yellow-bellied?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
larcher
.416 member

Reged: 11/01/05
Loc: Saverne, Alsace, France
are buffalo always yellow-bellied?
      #112276 - 22/08/08 07:45 PM

In my limited experience, I never met any buffalo standing its ground.
Ever scramming away as soon as they have spotted us.
To the point that in the CAR, I never managed to secure a trophy in 2 safaris of 2 weeks.
I consider the buff as one of the most skittish game, greatly helped by its acute 5 senses.
Your experiences?

--------------------
"I don't want to create an encyclopedic atmosphere here when we might be having a beer instead" P H Capstick in "Safari the last adventure."

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
bigmaxx
.375 member

Reged: 13/06/07
Loc: Bowling Green KY U.S.A.
Re: are buffalo always yellow-bellied? [Re: larcher]
      #112278 - 22/08/08 09:45 PM

This ine apparently did: Harare - A rogue buffalo killed three people in Zimbabwe's wildlife-rich Zambezi Valley, including a husband and wife working in their fields, a newspaper reported on Monday.

Thirty-three-year-old Adam Wesile was killed as he tried to rescue his wife Felistas from the buffalo in their cotton field in Mushumbi, northern Zimbabwe, said the Herald.

"When they saw (the buffalo), the couple believed it was a cow resulting in the woman advancing towards it, intending to drive the beast away," the paper reported police spokesperson Michael Munyikwa as saying.

It was, however, too late for the woman to run away when she realised it was a buffalo, the paper said.

--------------------
One day at a time...

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: are buffalo always yellow-bellied? [Re: bigmaxx]
      #112285 - 23/08/08 12:07 AM

Larcher, taken seriously, this is actually a great topic for discussion.

I have never hunted them. My only experience with them was in the Congo where they took flight from us like shot-at ducks when we were bird and monkey hunting. with only a shotgun in my hand I never felt really concerned about them at all.

I expect to read a bunch of hairy-chest-beating here, but seriously, I suspect like with many animals, stealth {read: "slow approach", whether hunting or not} may be challenged whereas a fast approach may cause flight.

I've had bear stand their ground while I was still hunting deer and walked up unexpectedly with the wind "in my favor", and run away when I was walking briskly. Ditto cattle, where I've been flat-out attacked by mean cows and bulls when working in and among them, yet they always seem to take off when I "get the jump on them" and drive them away by purposefully spooking them.

Add cows with calves and you have another element of variety to the mix.

Critters are similar in many regards, but I will be very interested to read some thoughtful responses here by fellows with lots of experience hunting African buffalo.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Tatume
.400 member

Reged: 09/06/07
Loc: Gloucester, Va USA
Re: are buffalo always yellow-bellied? [Re: 9.3x57]
      #112293 - 23/08/08 05:59 AM

Wounded buffalo have been known to attack villagers (wounded elephant have attacked villagers too). Also, following up a wounded animal is usually more dangereous than hunting unaware animals, of any species.

EricD
.416 member

Reged: 27/02/04
Re: are buffalo always yellow-bellied? [Re: Tatume]
      #112301 - 23/08/08 06:51 AM

I don't have extensive buffalo hunting experience, but have been around quite a lot of buffalo while on foot in various African countries. My impression is that JB has a point. Of course people get killed or injured by buffalo, but I think that is often due to a combination of being in the wrong place with the wrong buffalo at the wrong time.

bigmaxx
.375 member

Re: are buffalo always yellow-bellied? [Re: Tatume]
      #112302 - 23/08/08 06:59 AM

One problem you run into with an animal like the cape buffalo is the fact you never know whats happened to him in the recent past. I have heard and read accounts of buffalo attacking people, and it's been discovered that they sustained some sort of injury previously. Capstick tells a story of buffalo and elephant being shot with cast iron potjie cook pot legs from muzzleloaders. I imagine a lot are wounded with spears or arrows, or injured by lions. Probably some are victims of wire snares. You let that buffalo fester and suffer for a time and I'm sure they will be more that happy to punch your ticket. There are always individual animals that just plain have bad personalty issues too.

--------------------
One day at a time...

poprivit
.333 member

Reged: 09/04/07
Loc: Las Vegas, NV
      #112312 - 23/08/08 09:50 AM

In Botswana in 1995, we ran across a sick buffalo that came out of nowhere and rammed the safari truck. It was very aggressive. We took out after it and tracked it into the Mopane bush where my PH and I put one shot each from my .416 and his .470 into its neck, resulting in a very dead buffalo. Upon examination we found what was left of a wire snare on his right hind leg. he had lost a lot of weight and could only run on three legs. If we had of been a photo safari truck full of cameras and the eyes behind them, it might have been a different story.

Remember - treat all buffalo as loaded!!

Paul
.400 member

Reged: 28/08/07
Loc: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Re: are buffalo always yellow-bellied? [Re: poprivit]
      #112326 - 23/08/08 05:05 PM

I'm just finishing a ripping book called 'White Hunters' by Brian Herne, in which he tells the stories of famous and well-known PHs of East Africa. Buffalo have laid low a number of them and left many others with serious injuries, often without provocation. It seems the beast is respected by some but truly hated by others.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: are buffalo always yellow-bellied? [Re: Paul]
      #112388 - 24/08/08 01:51 PM

While it is water buffalo, not cape buffalo, often or usually they will run away when unwounded.

But sometimes they are just aggro and if they want to go somewhere and you are in their way they will go though you.

Perhaps cape buffalo are similar.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

shakari
.400 member

Reged: 09/02/03
Loc: South Africa
Re: are buffalo always yellow-bellied? [Re: NitroX]
      #112397 - 24/08/08 05:33 PM

It's easy for us to anthromorphasise human actions/emotions onto animals such as cowardice & bravery etc but obviously animals don't think the same way we do and rather their behaviour is based more on simple survival action and reaction, which to some degree will change dependent on their environment. For example in an area that has a lot of human activity, habitation and hunter/poacher pressure, they'll probably be more skittish than somewhere like the Selous Reserve where no permanent human habitation is permitted.

If it's of any use, below is an excerpt of a piece I put together a while ago for one of the hunting mags and has since been adapted for a new (African) hunting info website we're currently working on....... Of course, it needs to be remembered that it is referring to unwounded animals and one should never say never and never say always...... hope it helps!

All animals have three zones, known in my neck of the woods, as the sight, flight and fight zones. The sight zone is when the animal sees you and it will usually turn to face you, its head will come up and the ears prick forward. Elephant, Buffalo and Rhino may raise their tails. Buffalo may also stamp a hoof. Lions will often just show their usual feline disdain and stay put – it often takes more than a sighting of a mere human to shift a Lion from where he wants to be, unless of course he is hungry or just plain curious, when he just might come to investigate you. Leopards will habitually slink away and lose themselves in deep cover – you’ll probably never even know you’ve been observed by a Leopard. Vocal alarm ‘calls’, often common in antelope species and zebra, are limited to snorts, huffs, puffs and the odd trumpet from a twitchy elephant. This initially means the animal has identified you as a potential danger but is unsure of what further action to take.

The flight zone is when you cross that invisible line the animal has decided upon and it will then turn and flee. Elephant, Buffalo and Rhino may raise their tails further and run back into the sight zone where they will often stop and reassess the situation. In areas where these animals are particularly under pressure, they will not bother to stop and reassess, but will instead head straight for the hills. Leopards, as I said, will usually bolt away and not look back at all and the Lion may well disguise his anxiety and stroll nonchalantly away, often stopping to look back with an expression of utter derision on his face. Whether or not, he has food nearby, he probably won’t go far – a case of pride coming before a fall has caused many a Lion’s demise!

Then there’s the fight zone. Action of the lethal kind is most commonly caused when humans and animals unwittingly closely invade each other’s space – such as a hunter stalking his quarry and bumping into a dozing Elephant or Lion etc en route. The animal judges he has no time to make an escape, so turns on the interloper with enough aggression to frighten him away or incapacitate him with tooth, claw, horn or tusk. The fight zone may be increased in a case of a previously wounded animal or with one carrying an old painful injury. In these cases, flight may not be an option, so an animal will attack the threat with all the strength he can muster. Of course, the case of nervous mothers defending their young is another well known reason for attack and you may never see the young animal she is fighting for. A good rule of thumb would be to approach females with even more caution. As Mr Kipling said, the female of the species is more deadly than the male….

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
Kuduland Safaris (Africa) Ltd
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

Edited by shakari (24/08/08 09:09 PM)

bigmaxx
.375 member

Re: are buffalo always yellow-bellied? [Re: shakari]
      #112423 - 24/08/08 11:22 PM

A good point, I saw a special on TV last night where there have been several serious attacks on students at a college campus by whitetail deer. They were all does with fawns nearby. A campus security policeman shot one. Another axiom I have heard that rings true is that any game, particularly african game, when wounded IS dangerous game. I suppose being hunted by lions from the day you hit the ground would make you a little neurotic anyway.

--------------------
One day at a time...

93mouse
.375 member

Reged: 17/08/07
Loc: Slovenia
      #112508 - 25/08/08 07:09 PM

I have shot one charging due to coming too close - he was molested by lions some time before - he charged without any second thoughts...been on the track of others - seemed to me that (when they are unaware of you and they are not buggerd by lions or other meanaces the night before) they always need at least 2 confirmation from different sences to take a gap i.e. - they won't fly if they see you (their adrenaline is allready pumping up tho), but afer receiveing the second conformation of your presence (smell or sound) they depart

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
Re: are buffalo always yellow-bellied? [Re: shakari]
      #112532 - 26/08/08 01:27 AM

Shikari's answer jibes completely with my experience. I have only been charged once, by a rhino, and this was after he had been followed and pestered for about an hour. I was also in a car which was charged by a rhino, but in my experience rhinos have a permanent chip on their shoulder.

No bad experiences with hippos, but I have never gotten between a hippo and the water, which I gather is a most unwise thing to do.

My second elephant was in a very testy mood and probably would have charged if he could have located us. He had recently broken off his left tusk, and the nerve was still festering in the stump and must have been extremely painful. Moreover, he was on his last set of teeth, and not feeding very well. Since the right tusk weighed 96 pounds, I was almost as upset as he with his loss.

My first buffalo was clearing out when I shot him, not a respectable head, as it turned out, but the next three were part of a herd which was feeding in some open scrub. Since this was in the Selous in Tanzania, they were not exposed to humans on a regular basis and were not spooky. We got within 50 yards before they reacted, and the reaction was to line up in a row facing us, as I have seen cows do in a field, when faced with something unfamiliar.

My hunter pointed out the one to shoot, and I shot him directly through the chest with my .505. He disappeared over the hill, but the rest milled around and then fell back into line, facing me. The hunter pointed out an even bigger bull, and I shot him, also, again through the chest. More milling around, and then they lined up again. Finally, the hunter pointed out the largest bull of all, I shot him, and the rest decamped.

Two of the bulls were dead when we found them, a hundred yards or so away, the third was still on his feet, but too sick to move, and a second shot finished him, too. My confidence in my .505 knew no bounds.

The last bull I shot was one which the local tribesmen had observed frequently retiring to a patch of thick brush for a siesta each day. We hiked the the location, I was posted on a rocky ledge overlooking the expected escape route, and the locals advanced on the brush patch from the opposite side and started throwing rocks. The bull came out of the brush like a rocket, directly in front of me, like a high house four shot at skeet, and about the same distance away. I hit him four times with the .505, and he went down so fast that his nose plowed up dirt. I wouldn't call him a yellow belly, however.

You can see him and the other trophies mentioned herein at http://www.frappr.com/?a=viewphoto&id=3823381&pid=9240786&myphotos=1

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: are buffalo always yellow-bellied? [Re: larcher]
      #112616 - 26/08/08 09:11 PM

In my experiences, agree with what others have posted here...the first buffalo I shot we had actually chased and tracked for about 3 hours..finally got a good shot into him..he ran about 80 yards and stopped..we we closed on him he turned and (bad for him) ran into a clearing when I fired 2 solids in the north end of his south bound body..he tipped over...fired an insurance shot from about 30 yards..he layed there..when we got within 5 yards...he got to his from feet --fortunately I got another solid in his spine and that was that...The second one was shot at about 70 yards while he was feeding..he ran about 60 yards and stopped,,,then tipped over..shot again (paying the insurance) but that was that...very similar with the 3rd cape buffalo I shot as well...

Yet, a very good friend of mine who is an artist, had one of his friends get killed by a buffalo blowing out of some reeds while on a walk with his wife..Simon Combs was his name...then you have the outfitter from Canada that was also killed a couple years back while they were checking kudu tracks by a water hole...believe that one was wounded ---or Ms. Atchinson..a booking company here that was put in medical care for about 6 months because she wounded him and he got her before her, her husband or the PH could get another round in him...totally agree, typically if given enough space they will head the other direction..the thing everyone needs to remember..they are ANIMALS, and as such, can never be trusted...you never know what they will do...I grew up on a farm..we had everything from dogs, to bulls to calves raise hell through the years..some without any provocation what so ever..

As to while game--IMHO, elephant are much more dangerous and MUCH less willing to head the other direction...have been within very close distance of lions, buffalo, hippo and elephant..while hippo are also very dangerous, again, IMHO, the elephant is the champ, especially tuskless cows...have seen them rip trees and brush from the ground and throw them our way just for being in the area...an awesome experience and one I HOPE to do again, hopefully sooner than later...

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

bigmaxx
.375 member

Re: are buffalo always yellow-bellied? [Re: Ripp]
      #112621 - 26/08/08 10:31 PM

I found this in a previous thread in the Dangerous Game forum:

Namibia: Man Dies After Buffalo Attack

New Era (Windhoek)
27 February 2008
Chrispin Inambao
Katima Mulilo

A fisherman died while being transported to a nearby clinic for treatment following an attack by a buffalo that violently cut short a fishing expedition along the Chobe River in Kabulabula area in the Caprivi Region.

The victim will be buried today.

The victim, Chika Kamwi, and a friend Simasiku Mulenamaswe were carrying some fishing nets they wanted to cast into the Chobe River when a buffalo charged. According to Chrispin Nkonkwena, the Chief Warden for the North-East, the beast charged unseen from a patch of long grass lining the footpath along which the two were walking, trampling on Kamwi. It also gored him while he helplessly screamed for help.

After the attack, his friend Mulenamaswe ran to the nearest village where villagers harnessed oxen to a wooden sleigh to transport the victim to Mbalasinte Clinic for treatment. He, however, succumbed to injuries sustained in the attack on the way to the clinic. The incident occurred last week at around 06h00. Nkonkwena said the environment and tourism office dispatched a team to Kabulabula in the flood-prone Kabbe Constituency, to track down the beast but to no avail. He said postmortem results are expected today.

In a separate incident, Sinambao Victor Sinambao, 23, died when a hippo rammed a canoe that was on a fishing expedition along the Chobe River, tossing a group of panic-stricken fishermen into the crocodile-infested river, resulting in the victim drowning. Though the incident took place more than three weeks ago, Sinambao's body has not yet been recovered despite several search parties involving villagers and environment and tourism officials.

The incident took place in Kabulabula, an area teeming with game. Nkonkwena said the group whose fishing mission was abruptly disrupted by a hippo - an animal that is famed for its ferociousness and kills more people in Africa than other wild animals - did not see the danger lurking underneath the surface of the river.

During the hippo attack, the dugout canoe got smashed to pieces while two other fishermen managed to escape after they safely swam to the other side of the river. Meanwhile, Vincent Mwilima the game warden in charge of the Katima Mulilo office said daily he gets reports of elephants devouring and destroying maize fields particularly at Ngoma, Izimwe, Sikanjabuka, Masida, Malengalenga and Sikaunga.

Mwilima said some of the fields have been stripped bare. Nkonkwena added that incidents involving these pachyderms devouring villagers' crops are unavoidable considering the fact that villagers plough in what he called "wild-life corridors". Nkonkwena said the ministry cannot deploy game wardens in the areas where this problem exists because there are just too many crop fields and this would be impractical.

Mwilima says the problem of elephants entering people's fields is expected to increase around April/May when floodwaters subside and more of these free-roaming beasts would wander into Caprivi in search of greener pasture.

Some of the areas in eastern Caprivi are well vegetated with permanently waterlogged soils.

--------------------
One day at a time...

dale
.333 member

Reged: 28/02/06
Loc: logan W.V.
      #112700 - 27/08/08 04:12 PM

Gentlemen,

Thanks again for yet another great thread.

AspenHill
Sponsor

Reged: 08/01/03
Loc: Vermont, USA
Re: are buffalo always yellow-bellied? [Re: xausa]
      #112716 - 27/08/08 08:03 PM

Xausa,

Great trophies there!

--------------------
~Ann

Everyday spent outdoors is the best day of my life.

Aspen Hill Adventures

rscott
.333 member

Reged: 21/03/08
Loc: wyo., USA
Re: are buffalo always yellow-bellied? [Re: AspenHill]
      #112730 - 27/08/08 11:14 PM

i agree with Ripp's last paragraph, think elephant are most dangerous then hippo. anyone who's spent some time in a canoe on the zambeze would agree, i think.
buffalo yellow? watch them line up to repel a lion attack then you may reconsider.

bigmaxx
.375 member

Re: are buffalo always yellow-bellied? [Re: rscott]
      #112747 - 28/08/08 02:05 AM

Alright now guys! I'm leaving for Zimbabwe friday morning to camp in a tent in a place full of those animals. I'm wondering if my .458 lott is big enough now! Crocs too. I bet they knock off there share of Africans.

--------------------
One day at a time...

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #112797 - 28/08/08 01:53 PM

BigMax,

Hope you have a fantastic trip--it has been exciting visiting with you regarding logistics, loads, etc..actually felt as though I was going ..

WOW--your first safari---you will never forget it...and trust me..you will be back...once you get the taste it is very hard to turn off the urge to return...

Hope it is everything you were hoping for and more...

Good luck and be safe...

Ripp

P.S. PAY THE INSURANCE....

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

bigmaxx
.375 member

Re: are buffalo always yellow-bellied? [Re: Ripp]
      #112799 - 28/08/08 02:03 PM

Thank you very much. Its been great having someone who will take time to answer questions, and who has a genuine spirit of helpfullness. I am very excited! Its like you are going with me. Maybe we can hunt together one of these days soon. Will send pics as soon as I get back and give you a full report! Thanks again for the well wishes and encouragement. I have the insurance premiums, and ready to pay in full! -Max

--------------------
One day at a time...

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 128 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4011

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com