Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Anyone hunted Sapi Area?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
bigmaxx
.375 member

Reged: 13/06/07
Loc: Bowling Green KY U.S.A.
Anyone hunted Sapi Area?
      #112093 - 19/08/08 01:16 AM

I found out this morning I will be hunting the Sapi area in the Zambezi Valley. I leave August 28th and would like to learn as much as possible about Sapi. I will be hunting buffalo and hippo. I couldnt locate it on any of my maps. I think its in the vacinity of Mana Pools and Chewore. Thanks!

--------------------
One day at a time...

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
JPK
.375 member

Reged: 31/08/04
Loc: Chevy Chase, MD
Re: Anyone hunted Sapi Area? [Re: bigmaxx]
      #112125 - 20/08/08 01:02 AM

Sapi has a great reputation. The jess is supposed to be thick there. Boddington's DVD on buff hunting was filmed there. Ian Nychens wrote extensively about Sapi in his "Months of the Sun."

Sapi is just north of Mana Pools and south west of Chewore South. A top safari area that is an auction area, similar to Nyakasanga regarding hunt auctions.

I hope to hunt there.

JPK

bigmaxx
.375 member

Re: Anyone hunted Sapi Area? [Re: JPK]
      #112129 - 20/08/08 02:05 AM

Good to hear. I am very excited. I leave in 9 days!

--------------------
One day at a time...

ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
      #112153 - 20/08/08 04:41 PM

Have been there inspecting a dead Ele while hunting the Chewore river that separates it from the Chewore blocks on its east side.
Mana Pools Nat Park is on Sapi's south and western boundary separated by the Sapi river with the Zambezi river as the northern boundary.
I can give you "Google earth" grid if you would like.
We often found good Buff spoor leaving springs on the Chewore river heading into the Jesse on the Sapi side.
Pfumbe Hill area is a great spot. This hill was used as a spotting outpost during the Rhino Wars and was home to a good Lion whilst I was there.
Plenty of Wild Dogs too.
I would see I you can spend some night in the fly camp as well as the river camp as this enhances the experiences.

bigmaxx
.375 member

Re: Anyone hunted Sapi Area? [Re: ozhunter]
      #112159 - 20/08/08 09:01 PM

Thank you OzHunter. I am glad to get the information. I am leaving a week from tomorrow! It sounds like a great area. Roger Whittall has moved some of his camps around apparently, and I have been pulling my hair out trying to find out where I would be. I think this time it's definate. I think everythings falling in place now. Thanks!

--------------------
One day at a time...

ozhunter
.400 member

#112214 - 21/08/08 06:15 PM

Yes communication with RW Safaris can be trying some times.

bigmaxx
.375 member

#112216 - 21/08/08 08:30 PM

Thats an understatement! Thank God for NITROEXPRESS forums and all you great guys! You have all been a tremendous source of information and help. For that I am very grateful...

--------------------
One day at a time...

JPK
.375 member

#112223 - 22/08/08 01:09 AM

Quote:

Yes communication with RW Safaris can be trying some times.

And it is getting worse as Sara and Guy have more influence. I wish they would leave the comms and scheduling to Adrienne or one of the other more organized staff memebers.

It has been trying to us hunters, but also to the PH's whose schedules and plans are change too frequently as well.

JPK

bigmaxx
.375 member

#112225 - 22/08/08 01:32 AM

Yes, actually Adrienne Pienaar sent me my last communication from Roger Whittall Safaris. Hopefully things are in order. Alot of "Boddington on Buffalo" is filmed in Sapi. I am ready to rock and roll!

--------------------
One day at a time...

ozhunter
.400 member

#112263 - 22/08/08 11:05 AM

The "Google earth" grid for Pfumbe hill and Chewore river on Sapi's east boundary is 15.46 .43.49SOUTH and 29.49.46.74E

Sapi's south western boundary with Mana Pools on the Sapi River is Approx 15.52.18.75S and 29.40.34.11EAST.

bigmaxx
.375 member

#112265 - 22/08/08 12:31 PM

Cool. I really feel good about this area. I have been gathering information on the concession and everything sounds great. I met Craig Boddington at an NRA convention and got his email so I asked him about the area. I had heard he filmed alot of his buffalo videos there and this is what he had to say about Sapi:

Max, Sapi is great. The camp will surely be right on the river, very scenic, and there is no human habitation for many, many miles. I don't know Nyakasanga, but I know Sapi and like it very much. You're in for a great hunt!
Regards, C

What a nice guy. The closer it gets to takeoff the more excited I get. I try to concentrate on something, but all I can think about is Africa! -Max

--------------------
One day at a time...

JPK
.375 member

#112269 - 22/08/08 02:07 PM

Quote:

Yes, actually Adrienne Pienaar sent me my last communication from Roger Whittall Safaris. Hopefully things are in order. Alot of "Boddington on Buffalo" is filmed in Sapi. I am ready to rock and roll!

Max,

In the small world catagory, Adrienne is PH Rich Tabor's mother-in-law. Recall that Rich is good friends with Collin Van Der Linden. I hunted with Rich again in May and will be hunting with him in October. My forthcoming hunt was set up by Rich in a mere two weeks, just confirmed today. Good work by Rich and good fortune regarding the elephants available. Also, Rich spoke with Collin regarding leopard hunting in Makuti and Collin gave it a big thumbs up. "You'd have to be doing something awfully wrong not to have an opportunity," were his words as quoted by Rich.

So we'll give it a go, with the camp Appy doing some baiting for us. Buzz Charlton, who, with his partner Miles McCullum, who used to hunt for Roger, controls 1/2 of the Makuti quota, will be leopard hunting prior to our arrival and for a bit while we are there. This would ordinarily be worisome, but apparently there are many cats there and there is the possibility that Buzz will be able to leave one feeding for us, or even vice versa. This isn't immaterial since for this "last minute" quota round up I'm having to come out of pocket for the trophy fees in advance, no refund for the elephants at Makuti if we don't shoot them, but 1/2 back if the leopard effort fails.

Now you can see what taliking safaris with you has done to me! I went from post safari depression to pre safari excitement because I got so interested in your safari that I just went and booked another for myself!

Awfully nice of Craig Boddington to respond to your email so quickly. Reassuring info without doubt.

JPK

bigmaxx
.375 member

#112279 - 22/08/08 10:08 PM

Everything I hear about Collen is wonderful. Everybody I have talked to thats hunted with him say "Oh tell him hi for me, and ask about the new baby". He must be a very personable guy. All agree he is an excellent PH too. Thats great news about your upcoming safari! I here that place is lousy with elephant. Lots of leopards, and really big toms. I'm happy for you. Thats a great way to deal with "post safari depression". Boy, let the mental health proffesionals work on that one for a while. I must say Craig Boddington is a real great guy. He ave me his email address at an NRA event and has responded rapidly on the occasions I have contacted him. He's been bashed on here by a couple of people, and everyone is certainly entitled to their opinion. He is a great guy in my book. Well, one week left John! I cant wait!!

--------------------
One day at a time...

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 85 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2707

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com