Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Double Gun Owner Market Profile

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
ThomasEdwards
.300 member

Reged: 04/01/04
Loc: Newport Beach, CA
Double Gun Owner Market Profile
      #10289 - 27/02/04 05:09 PM

...just wondering whether anyone has ever performed a market study on double gun owners, clearly a miniscle niche segment within the larger firearms industry...

...are double owners predominately hunters or collectors....do they own less firearms than the typical bolt-action rifleman?...do they even own any turnbolts?...in what calibres?...do they also shoot double smoothbores?...

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Double Gun Owner Market Profile [Re: ThomasEdwards]
      #10292 - 27/02/04 06:26 PM

Thomas

Why not try putting together a poll and see how it turns out.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

475Guy
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/03
Loc: Kali, US
      #10294 - 27/02/04 06:31 PM

No doubt that there are just collectors out there and never take the guns out of safe ever. Just speaking for mayself, I've always wanted one or two. You don't start off owning one because of cost but the urge really gets you when you're into the big bores. Most I know of start into doubles after they've accumulated quite a few rifles and handguns also. The guys I know of will shoot theirs often and just have the pride of ownership stamped all over them and are not adverse to others trying the gun while out on the range. How else is a newbie ever to get a chance to shoot one? I love to let others light off a few just the look in their eyes. GLAZED LOOK IN THEIR EYES. INSTANT CONVERT.

--------------------
Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place among
them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
Re: Double Gun Owner Market Profile [Re: 475Guy]
      #10309 - 28/02/04 04:41 AM

475Guy just described me to a tee! I bought my first double rifle in 1958, after owning my own rifle, of any kind, for the first time in 1943, at the age of six years. By 1958, I had approximently 30 rifles, shotguns, and handguns. I still own a lot more than 30 guns, and through the half ownership in a large gun store till the GCA68,when I got out of that business, I have owned a lot of double rifles, over the years!

I shoot my doubles as much as I can, but liveing in a place where one can only shoot on a fireing range, I don't shoot as much as I'd like. I always take a bolt rifle on Safari,or North American hunt, along with a double rifle. The double gets a workout, for the most part, however!

So I guess 475Guy has it figured out!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

475Guy
.400 member

Re: Double Gun Owner Market Profile [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #10312 - 28/02/04 05:35 AM

D, years ago when my folks were still around, I used their address as my legal mailing address. I had been on a binge buying up S&W's, FN-FAL's, Colt SA's, etc. and the local guys visited my folks' home and asked if they could find out why I was buying all that stuff and where I was keeping it. My Pop told them I was over 21 and could do as I pleased and that I didn't keep anything there, they just left after that and no more subsequent visits.

Most bigbore guys are inveterate gun traders and definitely have more than their fair share of guns, I know I have. My safe is so huge that I can literally stand up in it or if I wanted to hide, I could take a nap in it. I have that mini-condo at one of my partner's homes and have peace of mind until they come to take my guns away, at such time I'll bury them in the desert somewhere.

--------------------
Lo do they call to me,

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Double Gun Owner Market Profile [Re: 475Guy]
      #10346 - 28/02/04 02:24 PM

In reply to:

My safe is so huge .........

I was recently told of an Aussie double rifle aficianado that had an air-conditioned shipping container as his gun safe.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

475Guy
.400 member

Re: Double Gun Owner Market Profile [Re: NitroX]
      #10356 - 28/02/04 03:46 PM

Nitro, that would be a helluva collection to see! Maybe you could sleuth it out and check it out, huh.

--------------------
Lo do they call to me,

ThomasEdwards
.300 member

#10363 - 28/02/04 05:47 PM

nitrox,

...splendid idea...

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
      #10388 - 29/02/04 05:03 AM

I have a good friend, who posts here, and on HA, and AR as well, who has a walk-in safe that was built in as his home was built! It has a 7 foot high door, and is about 12'x 12' inside, with gun racks all the way round the walls, and they are full. This safe also doubles as a storm shelter, here in the tarnado belt. His home could bloww completely away, and the only thing left would be the concrete slab, with the vault standing in the middle of it!

I won't state his name, because very few know about the vault in his home!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

NONE
.300 member

Reged: 15/12/03
      #10393 - 29/02/04 06:43 AM

I am very new into double rifles but have had a love for them for years. I am not sure were this came from but as with African hunting I have dreamed of having a double off and on for sometime. I own many turn bolts and don't have a preference for either I think of it more as different rifles for different jobs same with my handguns, shotguns etc...

I think you would find most double rifle owners as with most serious hunters in general have a lot in common across the board, from what I have seen African hunters especially.
Its the now rare type that has a touch of old world somewhere in his blood, most likely uses his books for reading material and enjoyment rather then to fill a shelf, on the days he himself cannot be in the field, would most likely have a taste for good food and a wine or single malt (add your poison) and derives pleasure from enjoying life to the fullest not sitting around and thinking about it, I would say he gets a true enjoyment out of using his equipment rater then simply owning it to point he looks for a reason to use it as he owns these rifles for the experience that comes from hunting with them not the look that comes form another seeing him with it.

I not to long ago had a chance to get into the field, the last time I was out. A snow day, very rare for the southern US I live in, closed up most the business and I jumped at the opportunity to take the dogs out and hunt some quail on a local plantation. A day in the field hunting with the dogs burning some powder and enjoying a white blanket we don't see to often what a better way to spend a day. I hunted until it was to dark to see anymore because I didn't want it to end and placed a few new scratches in my favorite Ruger Red Label O/U, so be it I say it gives it class.
This story has nothing to do with doubles but I belive a lot more then you would know about there owners and there type as far as I see it anyway.

James F. Nixon III

NONE
.300 member

Re: Double Gun Owner Market Profile [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #10394 - 29/02/04 06:49 AM

DUGABOY1

I had a vault built in my home as well. I have nothing close to you friends inventory actually not many rifles at all compared to many but you would be surprised how inexpensive a vault could be built compared to buying a quality safe. The door is of course the true expense and like most things in life you can go from extravagant to relatively inexpensive here but the rest is quite cheap and as you say makes a nice storm shelter/ safe room/ wine cellar etc... as well.

James F. Nixon III

ThomasEdwards
.300 member

Re: Double Gun Owner Market Profile [Re: NONE]
      #10396 - 29/02/04 07:05 AM

...all great responses...thanks...

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: Double Gun Owner Market Profile [Re: NONE]
      #10398 - 29/02/04 08:00 AM

NONE

Boy you sure got me pegged. Except I can't stand that slop that they filter through the campfire and peat bogs. Crown Royal please, Special Reserve.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#10505 - 01/03/04 11:55 AM

are double owners predominately hunters or collectors

For me they are a hunting tool. Can't afford to be a collector.

....do they own less firearms than the typical bolt-action rifleman?

Don't know. In Australia, probably more firearms because they are enthusiasts. In the USA probably not as every poster on these forums says something like "I've owned 7 .375s and 5 .458 Lotts ......"

How does a guy carry all those rifles at once when hunting?

...do they even own any turnbolts?

Yes. My guess is the average double shooter starts off with bolt actions.

...in what calibres?

Me. One only in .450 No2 NE but working hard to add a couple more - one bigger, one smaller . For now .

...do they also shoot double smoothbores?...

Yes absolutely. A side by side shotgun is a natural way to progress to double rifles. Maybe its all these U/O shooters that do to lever actions.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
      #10515 - 01/03/04 01:20 PM

In reply to:

Yes absolutely. A side by side shotgun is a natural way to progress to double rifles. Maybe its all these U/O shooters that do to lever actions

Yes! I now understand. The first logical statement about the ongoing 45-70 controversy. All this time I thought they were idiots, now I learn they are just mentally defective. This would also explain the one thought arguments they present. They can only handle one thought at a time. So simple and yet hidden.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

NONE
.300 member

Re: Double Gun Owner Market Profile [Re: mickey]
      #10517 - 01/03/04 01:22 PM

Mickey,

I wont hold that against you I have known many a fine man who had a affection for the purple bag for some unknown reason. I simply need a bit of burn bark in my glass over a few cubes. I am afraid I will have to resort to a neat drink on safari, the things we sacrifice for the hunt

James F Nixon III

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 42 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3789

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com