Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: On SS accuracy....

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Single Shots & Combination Guns

Pages: 1
Holmes
.300 member

Reged: 01/12/03
Loc: Wyoming, USA
On SS accuracy....
      #6688 - 09/01/04 02:25 PM

Greetings,

Of the SS rifles you currently own or have owned in the past, what was your most accurate shooter?

What kind of rifle and what calibre?

Do you still own it or did you foolishly give someone else the opportunity to enjoy a nice bugholer?

Regards to all.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: On SS accuracy.... [Re: Holmes]
      #6694 - 09/01/04 04:49 PM

I have a Ruger #3 that I restocked and rebarelled from 22 Hornet to 223. It will shoot Black Hills 50grn. Hollow points inside 3/8".

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

DPhillips
.375 member

Reged: 09/10/03
Loc: Alaska
Re: On SS accuracy.... [Re: mickey]
      #6743 - 10/01/04 09:51 AM

I've got a Ruger No.1 in 338 Win Mag that can shoot 3 shot 5/8" groups with Sierra 225 grain Prohunter bullets. I don't use these for hunting anything except deer and sheep, but the rifle will shoot the Winchester FailSafe's into 3/4-7/8" all day long.

While this isn't what I would consider benchrest accurate, it is very good for a rifle set up as a hunting rifle with hunting loads and a 1.75-6x Leupold scope in Ruger factory rings.

I should load up some Sierra Matchkings just for targets and see what it would really do.

Nick_Adams
.300 member

Reged: 20/12/03
Loc: USA
Re: On SS accuracy.... [Re: DPhillips]
      #6747 - 10/01/04 12:28 PM

Single-shot rifles and accuracy ...

Well, mine's a Ruger #1-S in 300 H&H (26" barrel). It's now sub-MOA @ 100yds with Federal's 180gn Noslers. Still working on various handloads, presently Hornady 220gn RNSPs and RL22.

It didn't start out that way, of course. Best groups initially were 3"-4" @ 100yds.

The following "tricks" worked for me. First, my gunsmith did a fine trigger job, light and crisp, but not unsafe. Second, he channelled and bedded the fore-end, essentially free-floating the barrel for most of it's length (except the bedded portion).

From Brownell's I got a Hick's "Accurizer" for #1s, which he installed. This is a small unit with a protruding screw. The unit fits up under the barrel on the hanger, inside the #1's fore-end. Only a little relieving of the wood up in there is necessary for fitting.

Then you basically dial-in your chosen load by turning the screw a little at a time, shooting groups and watching them shrink or expand. Once you shoot your smallest group, you've found the "sweet spot," or the pressure point at which the tension exerted by the tightened screw has created favorable barrel harmonics FOR THAT LOAD. On mine, shooting the factory 180gn Noslers, it took just under 2 full turns for the group to shrink to .75" @ 100yds, which is good enough for me.

What the Hick's unit actually does is tune your rifle to a particular load (factory or handload), which is the opposite of handloading where you're developing, through trial and error, a load tuned to your rifle.

--------------------

Remember ...

"Only accurate rifles are interesting."

.300 H&H.

Holmes
.300 member

Re: On SS accuracy.... [Re: Nick_Adams]
      #6937 - 14/01/04 05:45 PM

The #1s are funny critters. Out of the box some are bugholers while others seem to scatter.

I've installed a few of the Hicks Accurizers and had varying success. Some of the difference may be due to less time put in dialing the device to the loads.

A simple O ring has been effective on a couple of Rugers I've played with.

My most accurate SS was a #1 in 257 Roberts. This was an old Ruger that shot well right out of the box. I wasn't as good a shooter back then but it would still turn in 8s for me. A real shooter would have probably turned in 5s.

And, yes, I sold the damn thing, something I used to do too much of as a youngster.

Some of the rifles mentioned here are pretty impressive. It's nice when one can have the beauty of a SS with all the accuracy a hunter could want. Just doesn't get better than that,eh?

Mickey, that #3 has some fine furniture, my friend. Did you do the stock work yourself?

Regards.

Nick_Adams
.300 member

Reged: 20/12/03
Loc: USA
      #6973 - 15/01/04 11:22 AM

Holmes:

Tell me about the O-ring trick.

What is it? Where'd you get it? How's it installed (& where)? Thanks.

--------------------

Remember ...

"Only accurate rifles are interesting."

.300 H&H.

Holmes
.300 member

Re: On SS accuracy.... [Re: Nick_Adams]
      #7150 - 20/01/04 03:59 PM

Hey Nick,

The o-ring goes between the escutcheon screw and the hanger. Once the screw is through the escutcheon and protruding inside the forearm, the o-ring is placed over the screw threads and the forearm is then re-attached.

On some rifles a single o-ring does not make much contact. I know some have doubled up the o-rings but this often leads to a 'spongy' forearm. In this scenario, I prefer to use little rubber sleeves obtained from plumbing supply houses. They are available in a variety of sizes and lengths and are easily trimmed.

What the rubber spacer is supposed to do is isolate the hanger from forearm pressure and isolate the forearm from barrel harmonics.

I've seen varying results and I believe the modification cannot be truly credible unless one is using an inch-pound torgue wrench to adjust the tension on the rubber mounted screw. If the mod is done to a rifle and the groups tighten, it seems to me that the torque on the screw must be known in order to repeat the adjustment if and when needed. The rubber mount is really doing a similar job as the Hicks Accurizer, e.g., allowing variable tension within the forearm/hanger/barrel relationship.

I have not tried this with my 500 yet and I'm reluctant to do so as it is currently shooting under an inch at 50 with irons. This may be a result of the wood fitment performed at SSK during the conversion.

I've got a used and abused #1 coming in soon that I have free reign on. I'll be trying a few different mods in a manner that should qualify and quantify the results better than I have done in the past.

I'll keep the list up to speed.

Regards.

thefinegunmaker
.224 member

Reged: 21/02/04
Loc: Southern Wisconsin
      #9786 - 22/02/04 06:12 AM

Holmes
I worked for Miller Arms for a year in St Onge, SD. There we built falling blocks mostly for the Schutzen game. To win the match you had to shoot 10 shot .750" groups at 200 Yards. This was for centerfire and they usually used a .32 Miller short with lead bullets going sub sonic. For rimfire the winners were shooting dime sized groups at 100 yards.

None of the other actions were consistantly competitive and the builders and buyers of the high wall copies and Ballard copies got tired of loosing. They kept trying to change the rules so the big money/prize matches would not include the Miller Action. I told Cyle Miller to print up shirts and give them to his customers that said "If you can't win change the rules" on the front and "If you can't change the rules buy a Miller" on the back. I don't think Miller ever made the shirts, but if I would have gone I would have made my own with a magic marker!

The Miller is the most accurate falling block available. It has the fastest lock time and light weight triggers available. It is not as slim and gracefull as a Dakota #10, and it weighs more also. But, it is very accurate and will chamber centerfire cartridges up to 348 Win.

gunmaker
http://users.elknet.net/chico

475Guy
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/03
Loc: Kali, US
      #9796 - 22/02/04 07:46 AM

Years ago, when I still had my pair of Ruger No.1's, I wrote Elmer Keith about my wondering groups. He suggested a fiber or rubber washer and voila, 1/2"-3/4" 5 shot groups at 100 yds. with both the 375 and 458. I also shortened the hanger screw by about half a thread. I wish I had them back.

--------------------
Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place among
them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Huvius 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: ****
Topic views: 6005

You rated this topic a 4.
Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com