Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Combo's in the USA?? Where & What?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Single Shots & Combination Guns

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Combo's in the USA?? Where & What?
      #85350 - 10/09/07 02:36 AM

I'm interested in getting a good solid combination gun, most desirably in 7x57R or 6.5x55 somewhat less preferably in .308 or 7x65R rifle calibers, along with a shotgun barrel of either 20 or 12 gauge {less preferably 16 gauge}.

Who makes a sound gun, where can they be seen/bought and what is the cost?

Anybody have experience with the CZ 584 or Brno combo's? Know where they can be had? {CZ-USA does NOT import them}.

This gun will be used hard in all weather from dust to heavy rain to blowing snow.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Tatume
.400 member

Reged: 09/06/07
Loc: Gloucester, Va USA
Re: Combo's in the USA?? Where & What? [Re: 9.3x57]
      #85360 - 10/09/07 05:21 AM

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/combination_shotgun-Rifle/SPR94.asp

http://www.baikalcanada.com/rifles_combo_94.htm

I believe these are both made by Baikal, and may be the same gun.

Tatume
.400 member

Re: Combo's in the USA?? Where & What? [Re: Tatume]
      #85361 - 10/09/07 05:26 AM

Also, it appears that Remington is only marketing the 12 ga/223 Rem version. Baikal also has 12 ga/308 Win and 12 ga/30-06 Spg. They say "Bottom arrangement of the rifled barrel facilitates shooting the powerful bullet cartridges." Don't you just love translations? :-)

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: Combo's in the USA?? Where & What? [Re: Tatume]
      #85362 - 10/09/07 05:32 AM

Thanks Tatume:

I've owned 3 of these over the years, all sold now. One was destroyed in an accident, one had a stock so ugly it made Rosie O'Donnell look cute and the last was regulated worse than Larry Craig.

Since Remington took over, the importing of deer/elk-compatable rifle calibers has ceased. I have no idea where all the guns went that were marketed cheaply by CDNN a few years ago, but they seem to have disappeared.

Anybody have an idea where BRNO's or CZ's might be found?

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

taw1126
.333 member

Reged: 24/07/07
Loc: Texas
      #85375 - 10/09/07 12:33 PM

This seller is habitually overpriced, but what about a Valmet/Tikka? Or at the other end of the price scale, how about a Savage 24?

I've never owned either of these, but I think I'd look at both of them if I was in the market for a combo. Both are/were pretty long-lived.

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: Combo's in the USA?? Where & What? [Re: taw1126]
      #85378 - 10/09/07 01:03 PM

taw: The caliber/ga was right but as you say, I'm not interested in a 512 for that price.

As for the Savage, they won't bring one out in a better caliber than .30-30. I'd like a little better ballistics than that one, though it is a possibility if I could find a nice walnut-stocked one from years ago. The only new ones I've seen are synthetic stocked and not too attractive.

A reasonably priced 512 might be an option, thanks for the tip.

--------------------

Rustyzipper
.275 member

Reged: 20/10/03
Loc: North of the Zambezi, in Miser...
      #85397 - 10/09/07 11:38 PM

9three. Could the 30-30 barrel be bored to 35-30? Lots of money but a more effective caliber. The 35 Remington is similar and was used for years as an elk caliber before we "learned" it takes a 30 mike mike to kill one. Also it is OK to use the pointed bullets in that barrel I beleive. Maybe a 200 gr X bullet in 35 or 150 gr X in 30 cal. Quite potent. Maybe some dreaming but just a tightwad's view. Look at the Savage in that light. Even with the price of boring it may not cost the price of a drilling or combo of European descent. Anyone who can make a Tok case into a 9.3 can come up with a workable plan. Rambling over. God Bless. Rustyzipper

Plains99
.300 member

Reged: 10/11/04
Loc: Dodge City, Kansas, USA
Re: Combo's in the USA?? Where & What? [Re: Rustyzipper]
      #85398 - 11/09/07 12:13 AM

I got on the combo trip for a while and tried several different brands. Valmont, Savage, and Baikal. Far and away the best of the bunch was a Baikal 12 gauge/.308 combination gun. The gun is nicely put together, has a good dependable safety, fool proof double trigger system, nice balance, decent express sights and it is a handsome gun. You might try www.cdnnsports.com and see if they have any hold overs left in 7X57/12 gauge. Baikal is putting out some very nice products. Remington saw that and is now marketing them at outrageous prices with their trade name to justify it. Don't underestimate the Russian guns. I'm currently testing a BARS 4-1 bolt rifle in 7.62X39 from ISZMASH (SP?) from Russian-American Amory and it is a very good rifle with an excellent trigger. It will never sell well here because of unconventional looks and a non-competitive price but it is a fine piece.

Tatume
.400 member

Re: Combo's in the USA?? Where & What? [Re: Plains99]
      #85400 - 11/09/07 01:29 AM

A rechambering option for the Savage M24 might be 309 JDJ. I have one in a 14 inch Contender barrel and it is dynamite! If it's not safe, JD Jones won't do it for you.

--------------------
Take care, Tom
NRA Life Member

Double_Trouble
.375 member

Reged: 27/04/06
Loc: Canada
      #85414 - 11/09/07 06:58 AM

"one had a stock so ugly it made Rosie O'Donnell look cute and the last was regulated worse than Larry Craig."

LMFAO!

Thats funny shit!!!

DT

--------------------
Double Trouble,
Speak not of what you do not know.
Listen up when it's time to.

luv2safari
.400 member

Reged: 09/11/03
Re: Combo's in the USA?? Where & What? [Re: Double_Trouble]
      #85997 - 21/09/07 12:56 PM

If you want a Baikal 12ga 3" over 7X57R that shoots great...very accurate, I have one. I had not thought of selling it, but I would if you want a good shooting, if not eye candy, BBF. It has scope rings, also.

$400.00 plus shipping

--------------------
Hunt with Class and Classics

zimhunter
.333 member

Reged: 05/02/04
Loc: Southern Arizona
Re: Combo's in the USA?? Where & What? [Re: luv2safari]
      #86000 - 21/09/07 02:02 PM

I have a CZ 12ga/7x57R that shoots pretty good. Has the factory scope mount that is quite handy. The iron sights are not that good. Well built gun with plain piece of wood. Really seems it would be a handy gun though I have never used it for anything but targets. Have no idea what they are worth today. Had never really thought about selling it but could probably be persuaded. It's in VERY good condition.

dougk
.224 member

Reged: 18/04/07
Loc: Driftwood, TX
Re: Combo's in the USA?? Where & What? [Re: zimhunter]
      #89509 - 22/11/07 09:13 PM

Ha ve owned a Baikal and Spartan. The Baikal in 12/30-06 was regulated perfectly. The Spartan 12/223 shot 6.5 inches to the right and initially 5 high. For the most part the Baikals/Spartans can not be adjused the rifle barrel can only be adjust by guessing what spacer to use. I dont have either any longer. For me its Valmet which are not that much more. if you can find someone willing so sell it for a fair price. For some reason people are very proud of the Valmets, and they typically dont sell for that proud price.

88MauSporter
.375 member

Reged: 06/06/07
Loc: Alaska / Texas
Re: Combo's in the USA?? Where & What? [Re: dougk]
      #89557 - 23/11/07 01:29 PM

The classic market may be where you want to look in the USA. A good combo of Continental or English orgin can still be had at what seems reasonable compared to the new European guns. Either over unders or sidXside. Some of the rifle calibers may seem odd to the US buyer, but are effective.
I have three at the moment. Two "cape guns" sxs, and one drilling.
Rifle calibers are 12.7X44R ( about a 50-70), 9.3x72R (great in the RWS load) and a bottle necked 9.5X56R (.375 bore). The shotgun side is 16 ga in all. All are break actiions. All underlevers. One the 9.5 has a hidden peep in the tang and set trigger. The Drilling is set up with pop up opens and scope claw mounts. The .50 is basic working gun with two leaf open sites. Shoots right on top of the sites with a 400 grain bullet at about 1300-1400 fps. Plenty for most game other than Africa or big Buffs.
The other cartridges are fine for deer and boar. 200 grain at close to or around 2000 fps. That 16ga with proper slug or round balls are a good second shot womper.
I have seen a number in 8X57R or even .303. I wish I hadn't passed up the .303s. I will not the next time.
Regulation at 50 yards seems prettly close with all three. Minute of boiler room for deer or boar size animals.
Ammo can be a challenge with some if you don't handload. Good thing for S&B. Pretty fair ammo and bullets in these calibers.

--------------------
"A hunter should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everthing goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." 88MauSporter

Shackleton
.300 member

Reged: 11/08/07
Loc: Iowa
Re: Combo's in the USA?? Where & What? [Re: 88MauSporter]
      #89571 - 23/11/07 02:53 PM

If looking for a Baikal gun, look up EAA-until Remington got ahold of Baikal, most all of the Baikal guns were available through EAA, and may still be, though they'll have plainer wood than the Remington line(Remington's guideline is no more thaan 2 blemishes in the wood, and I have seen everything from beautiful to lousy in the EAA stuff). Remington acknowledges that there is a difference, slight or not, between Spartan and EAA, so maybe both products are still available. I think the website was eaacorp.com

--------------------
"I do not kill with my gun, he who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father. I kill with my heart."--Stephen King

nhdblfan
.300 member

Reged: 31/08/07
Loc: NH
Re: Combo's in the USA?? Where & What? [Re: 88MauSporter]
      #89597 - 24/11/07 01:24 AM

I agree, here is one I found,a classic Cape,at an auction here in New England.Had to find the caliber and the ammo is not cheap(16ga X 8X56R360) but the pre war capegun was not much more than a newer one and had hardly been used

[image][/image]

[image][/image]

[image][/image]

DM
.300 member

Reged: 12/02/07
Loc: mid west USA
Re: Combo's in the USA?? Where & What? [Re: nhdblfan]
      #89607 - 24/11/07 03:26 AM

What's not to like about a Valmet 412? When you can have a combo that shoots like this,

It will allow you to take big game like this even at long ranges,

And is totally reliable, even having an all steel quick attach scope mount,

AND, they even have "numerous" shotgun and rifle bbls available for them that you can easily regulate to "your" ammo!!

There's some pretty nice ones still around if you look a bit,

Anyway, what's not to like about the Valmets?

DM

Yogi000
.333 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: New York, USA
Re: Combo's in the USA?? Where & What? [Re: DM]
      #90489 - 04/12/07 09:08 AM

I would really like a combo gun but I do not like the style where the barrels are separated (such as the Valmets and the Remington/Baikals). I want the type that are welded together. Ideally a 12 gauge with a medium bore rifle caliber, like a 30-06 or 94x74R would be ideal.

Any ideas?

Chasseur
.375 member

Reged: 18/11/03
Loc: Hunting classic Indian game!
      #90541 - 04/12/07 08:46 PM

I had a friend of a friend who's used a 7x65r over a 12 for a varmit/turkey gun in Western Virginia for several years. He loves it. Keeps it in the truck and shoots coyotes with it, and then uses it for fall and spring turkey.

--------------------
In regards to action he should devote himself to hunting...
-Machiavelli

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
Re: Combo's in the USA?? Where & What? [Re: Chasseur]
      #90547 - 04/12/07 09:41 PM

What about a Heym 'drilling' (dreiling) - also imported into USA? Two S/S models (33 and 37) and a O/U (35) in a large number of calibres, including 6,5x57 (R) and 7x57 (R)
http://www.heym-waffenfabrik.de/english/S_Kombi/S_Dril/st_Dril.html

Also O/U double (1 shotgun barrel and 1 rifled) model 55B
http://www.heym-waffenfabrik.de/english/S_Kombi/S_bowaf/stbowBoB.html

And S/S double (1 shotgun barrel and 1 rifled) model 80B
http://www.heym-waffenfabrik.de/english/S_Buechs/S_DopBue/st_DopBu.html

Edited by JabaliHunter (05/12/07 03:51 AM)

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
Re: Combo's in the USA?? Where & What? [Re: JabaliHunter]
      #90571 - 05/12/07 12:59 AM

This may also be of interest, although you would have to get it imported via a firearms dealer here.

Holts auction on 13 December
Sale 1014 Lot 1159

MERKEL 12-BORE / 7X57R 'MODEL 202' OVER AND UNDER BOXLOCK EJECTOR COMBINATION GUN, serial no. 105203, 25 5/8in. nitro barrels with wooden side-fillets, raised matt rib, open sights and bead foresight, the breech end mounted with a Zeiss Diavari-Z 1,5-6x42 MC telescopic sight in quick-detachable (swing off) mounts, 2 3/4in. shot chamber, bored approx. 1/2 choke, scroll-back action with side-bolsters, hold-open toplever, manual safety, gold cocking-indicators, set trigger, border and scroll engraving surrounding scenes of red deer and duck in flight, old silver finish, 14 5/8in. figured pistolgrip stock with sling swivels, pistolgrip-cap and 5/8in. rubber recoil pad, weight 9lb. 14oz. The gun was completed in May 1983
Estimate £1,000-1,500

http://213.219.62.57/asp/fullCatalogue.asp?salelot=1014++++1159+&refno=+++11612&saletype=

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #90583 - 05/12/07 03:16 AM

Quote:

Anybody have an idea where BRNO's or CZ's might be found?

;
; Canada - BRNO's/CZ's (same diff) still available in Canada. E&I Sports in Prince George, BC has one on the wall. I'm not sure, but think they do over-the-border deals. He is an importer and exporter. Trouble is, his prices are sometimes a mite high.
; I can get you some contact numbers if you want.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

DM
.300 member

Re: Combo's in the USA?? Where & What? [Re: Yogi000]
      #90627 - 05/12/07 10:23 AM

Quote:

I would really like a combo gun but I do not like the style where the barrels are separated (such as the Valmets and the Remington/Baikals). I want the type that are welded together. Ideally a 12 gauge with a medium bore rifle caliber, like a 30-06 or 94x74R would be ideal.

Any ideas?

Nothing wrong with that idea...

Just don't expect one of them to "shoot" as good as the Valmets do, and don't expect them to be "regulated" as well as the Valmets are either...

DM

Yogi000
.333 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: New York, USA
Re: Combo's in the USA?? Where & What? [Re: DM]
      #90707 - 06/12/07 06:02 AM

DM--- You're shooting 180 Nosler partitions from your 12 gauge barrel?

The results sure are impressive. Thanks for your posts.

I just don't like the separated barrels, all that free air in between the tubes.

Those Heyms sure are beautful looking.

But I can "learn: to like those Valmets I suppose with results like you have posted here.

DM
.300 member

Re: Combo's in the USA?? Where & What? [Re: Yogi000]
      #90731 - 06/12/07 08:57 AM

Quote:

DM--- You're shooting 180 Nosler partitions from your 12 gauge barrel?
The results sure are impressive. Thanks for your posts.
I just don't like the separated barrels, all that free air in between the tubes.
Those Heyms sure are beautful looking.
But I can "learn: to like those Valmets I suppose with results like you have posted here.

All of that "free air space" is why they shoot so well... First, it allows the bbl to float a bit as it heats up, and it also gets rid of the heat faster...

I've not found the 412's to be picky, they shoot pretty good with any of the hunting bullets i've tried... 180 NP's shoot well out of my 12ga./30-06 as the above target shows...

DM

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 35 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Huvius 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 20827

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com