Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Double rifle or double shotgun Drilling

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Single Shots & Combination Guns

Pages: 1
EDELWEISS
.375 member

Reged: 22/11/05
Loc: Gettysburg
Double rifle or double shotgun Drilling
      #62909 - 22/09/06 11:38 PM

I posted a similar question on another forum, in case this looks familiar--- Yes boss, Im answer shopping!

Im in the very begining stages of purchaseing a drilling. I just discovered Merkel and Blaser, (perhaps others), have a version with two rifle barrels an a single shotgun tube. I have the Merkel catalog in front of me and I see they offer a version in 9.3x74 + 9.3x74 over 12ga. That seems like it would make it truely a world wide gun. If Im not mistaken the Blaser is avaiable in a double rifle configuation with a 20 ga barrel on top.

My hunting (limited as it is), is mostly confined to white tail deer and small game in woods on the east coast of America. I have hunted black bear and wild boar; but I still have dreams of bigger and dangerous game. I know that someting like 30-06 would be more useful here at home; but theres that dream again about the nasty stuff......

What is the general thought of double rifle drillings?

Has anyone out there actually used either? I cant find a dealer that stocks either, so I'll be ordering blind and forced to keep what I get.

Any other suggetions, calibers etc???

--------------------
If it's not custom, it's just borrowed

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
Re: Double rifle or double shotgun Drilling [Re: EDELWEISS]
      #62964 - 24/09/06 01:52 AM

In reply to:

I have the Merkel catalog in front of me and I see they offer a version in 9.3x74 + 9.3x74 over 12ga. That seems like it would make it truely a world wide gun.

The double rifle drilling is the only drilling I would have a use for! I had a H. Barella drilling that was 8X57JR ,8X57JR over a 16 bore barrel under, and it was the most usefull little rifle I've ever owned. I wish I hadn't traded it. I traded it in on a S/S double rifle chambered for 9.3X74R, and if the Berella had been a 9.3X74R on the rifle tubes I'd still have it!

Also, you wont be disapointed with anything Merkel makes! My kit for Africa is two Merkel double rifles, a 140-2, 470NE, and a little 140-E, 9.3X74R ! They are a joy to hunt with!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

trmungle
.224 member

Reged: 16/02/05
Loc: Juneau Alaska
Re: Double rifle or double shotgun Drilling [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #62972 - 24/09/06 03:39 PM

I have both a 9.3x9.3x74x16 gauge and a 12x12x9.3x74. I believe the double shotgun is more versitile for lower 48 hunting. The shot tubes can be fitted with sub caliber insert barrels for small rimfire and centerfire calibers. With a 22 insert barrel and a 12 ga. shotshell in the other barrel, you have a great small game gun. With a 22 Hornet barrel, a good varmint getter. A couple of Brenneke slugs and the 9.3x74 rifle,there is not much you could not handle.

Just my .02
Tom

akjeff
.300 member

Reged: 20/01/04
Re: Double rifle or double shotgun Drilling [Re: trmungle]
      #62979 - 24/09/06 11:58 PM

Tom,

Good to see another AK drilling fan. I'm new to them, myself. Hope to bloody my Simson 12X12/7X65R on deer & ducks this year! I'd love to find a 12X12/9.3X74R as you have for a companion gun for mine. Speaking for myself, a standard drilling seems more practical to me, as a second shot barrel is more likely to be needed/used, than a second rifle shot. Pretty tough to double on mallards with one smooth tube!

Jeff

trmungle
.224 member

Reged: 16/02/05
Loc: Juneau Alaska
Re: Double rifle or double shotgun Drilling [Re: akjeff]
      #62984 - 25/09/06 03:40 AM

Jeff

Seems when you get the first drilling, one is not enough. I enjoy my drillings and combo guns. Locate an insert barrel for your drilling. I have a 22lr&22mag Kreighoff insert for my 12x12x8x57jrs Sodia and they are very accurate. That was my first drilling and I bought it at a gunshow in Anchorage in the 80s. Later i got the Kreighoff insert barrels and then had Briley tubes fitted in 20,28,and 410Ga. That is a fun gun.

Tom

akjeff
.300 member

Reged: 20/01/04
Re: Double rifle or double shotgun Drilling [Re: trmungle]
      #63098 - 26/09/06 11:36 PM

Tom,

They are addicting! I'll look into the inserts, thanks for the suggestion! I'm toying with the thought of having Briley install choke tubes in this gun, so that I can better tailor the shot barrels to the game hunted. Full, and Fuller isn't always the ideal combination.

Jeff

pwm
.300 member

Reged: 15/06/04
Loc: Banana Republik of Germany
Re: Double rifle or double shotgun Drilling [Re: akjeff]
      #63121 - 27/09/06 04:27 AM

back to the questionbe good to yourself and buy a Merkel

Blaser is a name, old gunmakers from suhl dont think good about, its not the way c lassic guns are made

luv2safari
.400 member

Reged: 09/11/03
Loc: United States
      #63129 - 27/09/06 11:18 AM

I've owned three DR drillings in my lifetime. Two were Stoeger 1950's era, one in 8X57JR and the other 9,4X74R...both over 16ga. The 9,3 was very heavy, and the 8X57 was heavier than I like in a light caliber.

The third was an early 8X57JR Kersten action, but I couldn't identify the maker. It, also, had a 16ga barrel.

For all practical purposes, I prefer the conventional double shotgun, single rifle variety. They weigh much less, and I carry mine to still hunt or jump shoot. The DR drillings are too clumsy for this type of hunting, IMO.

The Geyger 16-16-9,3X74R I just came by is just about perfect.

--------------------
Hunt with Class and Classics

EDELWEISS
.375 member

Reged: 22/11/05
Loc: Gettysburg
      #63157 - 28/09/06 01:58 AM

THANKS Guys, yoour making lots of sense on both sides of the question. I think my problem is that I want both a double rifle and a drilling, so when I saw the Merkle I thought I had gone to "gun heaven". Now Im not sure but atleast Im having a good time on the way....

So hears the next question what about the Blaser model with the single 20 gauge barrel on top of two rifle barrels?

--------------------
If it's not custom, it's just borrowed

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 22 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Huvius 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4482

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com