Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Combination Gun of the Week

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Single Shots & Combination Guns

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | >> (show all)
Iowa_303s
.400 member

Reged: 22/03/13
Loc: Iowa, USA
Re: Combination Gun of the Week [Re: tinker]
      #323020 - 05/01/19 12:53 PM

Hammers and damascus, my favorite flavor!

--------------------
Matt

formerly known as Iowa_303

"Once your reputation is ruined you can live your life quite freely."

"Enkelkinder über alles"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
Re: Combination Gun of the Week [Re: lancaster]
      #328791 - 25/05/19 02:39 AM

Adolphe Jansen/ Brussels and belgian court gunmaker, first address for anyone going to africa once
450 BPE and 12 ga, http://www.egun.de/market/item.php?id=7489044

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/engraved-billhead-ad-jansen-489925725

more about him
http://www.littlegun.be/arme%20belge/art...dolphe%20gb.htm

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #328809 - 25/05/19 05:09 PM

What a useful gun for a guy hunting for meat, whether feathered or fur and hair.

Single shotgun barrel for smaller game and feathers.

.450 BPE for plains and medium game.

Perhaps both barrels for big cats at need.

Useful gun.

Would be fun to use today as well, with nitro for black loads, for the same sort of game.

And as previously said, some of us just love hammers. Also the best original way to carry loaded chambers safely.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

lancaster
.470 member

Re: Combination Gun of the Week [Re: Iowa_303s]
      #334375 - 11/11/19 04:41 AM

Paul Reuss Hammer Drilling 16x16x10.75-65R
https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-f...un_id=101295560

"Three barrels, 16 ga side by side over 10.75x65r (444 Marlin), manufactured by master gunmaker Paul Reuss, Kronprinzenstr 3, Stuttgart, Germany with 27” Gussstahl (fluid steel) barrels, flat matted solid rib, fine bead front sight and tang-activated rear sight -- also the selector for rifle or shotgun mode. Chokes are M (.013) right, and F (.029) left.

Nicely figured English walnut stock, carved horn pistol grip cap, Euro beaded cheekpiece, fluted comb, vacant nickel-silver oval, and Deeley-release splinter forearm with small Schnabel tip, Checkering is classic point-pattern with combination of single and double borders. Buttplate is steel with widow’s peak.

Action is a back-action hammer drilling with old Purdey-style under lever, rebounding hammers, double triggers, percussion fences, active doll’s head third fastener and extended receiver tangs. Serial Number 13752 manufactured with modern steel for Nitro powder in 1898 (all three barrels carry German proof marks). Sling swivels on rifle barrel and rear of buttstock. Weight 6 lb. 10 oz……comes with original canvas and leather trimmed case with maker’s label.

Barrels and underlever are blue; receiver is casehardened with fine scroll engraving. Dimensions are 13 ¾” x 1 ½” x 2 3/8” with 1/8” cast off for the right hand shooter. The gun is all original and in exceptional all-around condition with great wood color built by the German master craftsman, Paul Reuss, a best gunmaker in Germany active from 1881 to 1901.

This old gun is a great example of best gun from yesteryear, yet with two or three lifetimes of use left, having survived in this pristine condition for its age. Just imagine taking this fellow out in the woods for quail, chucker, white tail or black bear; or better yet, wild boar, with its two 16 gauge barrels and the proven 444 Marlin rifle barrel underneath. It is a fun gun to shoot and one to instill pride of ownership.

About the cartridge: While it shoots 444 Marlin perfectly, according to Cartridges of the World by Frank C. Barnes, the full name of the original round is the 10.75x65r Collath and modern ammunition is not made for it. According to that book, that cartridge had a .424 bullet diameter. For the original cartridge loading, Bruce Mashburn of Chandler Texas as well as Champlin Firearms, Inc. in Enid Oklahoma are sources.

However, Dave and Dan Moore of William Larkin Moore, both told me that they had one of these old guns in this caliber and found they could shoot factory 444 Marlin ammunition in it with its .429” bullet diameter. They said for the Marlin cartridge the rim is thicker than the rim on the original Collath cartridge by a few thousandths, so there were some inconsistencies in extracting the fired cases. After measuring this bore, my gunsmith (Matthew Roberts of MNR Custom in Vermont, member of the American Custom Gunmakers Guild), and I were pleasantly surprised to find that it measures .430” so we found we had no problem with the Marlin cartridge on bore size. Matthew then took a few thousands off the extractor and found 444 Marlin factory cartridges work perfectly and with no extraction problems. Since Matthew’s test, I have fired a full box of Hornady 265 Grain FN bullets and the performance was as if those rounds were made for it. However, we did not alter the gun beyond the point of originality, the original 10.75x65r ammunition will still extract as well."

--------------------

lancaster
.470 member

#334376 - 11/11/19 04:43 AM

BTW, 10,75x65R is the rimmed version of the 10,75x68 so this is a real "tropendrilling"

--------------------

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Reged: 19/04/13
Loc: Melbourne Australia
      #334378 - 11/11/19 06:21 AM

Very nice gun in excellent condition, very tastefully finished in a lovely case. I would be happy to own that one for sure.

Matt.

--------------------
There is nothing wrong with vegetarian food, so long as there is meat with it.

TH44
.375 member

Reged: 21/02/09
Loc: West UK
Re: Combination Gun of the Week [Re: Waidmannsheil]
      #334384 - 11/11/19 10:02 AM

Absolutely a top class gun/rifle, the understated engraving is my personal favourite, more like best English than continental

Many thanks for posting, without this site in particular we would not see (here in UK) such treasures

TH44

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Combination Gun of the Week [Re: TH44]
      #334406 - 12/11/19 05:09 AM

I wonder how many years it takes to make that gun considering the tree has to grow around the action parts.

Seriously, the fitting is awesome!

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

lancaster
.470 member

#334535 - 18/11/19 02:29 AM

drilling "Richard Fahner, Pforzheim" proofed 1936 in suhl , 20/65 and 6,5x52R
https://egun.de/market/item.php?id=7682225#img

Herold Drilling sold by Lorenz Kranz Lemgo, 16/65+ 9,3x72R
https://egun.de/market/item.php?id=7700040

drilling with sweden switchover, proofed 1942 ! in zella mehlis
https://egun.de/market/item.php?id=7682339

--------------------

lancaster
.470 member

#335258 - 09/12/19 04:44 AM

Eduard Kettner Köln & Suhl Drilling 16 +10,75x65R
https://www.naturabuy.fr/drilling-eduard-kettner-cal-16-16-10-6m-m-item-5070990.html

--------------------

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
      #335262 - 09/12/19 07:03 AM

Shame those photos were blurry - it really is a very tastefully executed little package

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Combination Gun of the Week [Re: tinker]
      #335268 - 09/12/19 09:46 AM

Quote:

So nice.
That round action is really neat.
Lots of great stuff over there!

Cheers
Tinker

Agreed..beautiful weapon..

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

lancaster
.470 member

#335996 - 31/12/19 05:11 PM

double rifle drilling 12ga and 7x65R
Suhl pre war sold by F.W. Vandrey Hamburg https://egun.de/market/item.php?id=7771173

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#336022 - 01/01/20 12:54 PM

Quote:

Suhl pre war sold by F.W. Vandrey Hamburg https://egun.de/market/item.php?id=7771173

Strange barrel placement.

Why on Earth were the barrels positioned like that? One rifle on the bottom, one on the side, and the shotgun on the other side?

Instead of the more usual s by s rifles with shotgun underneath.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Combination Gun of the Week [Re: NitroX]
      #336024 - 01/01/20 01:17 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Strange barrel placement.

Why on Earth were the barrels positioned like that? One rifle on the bottom, one on the side, and the shotgun on the other side?

Instead of the more usual s by s rifles with shotgun underneath.

Indeed. Also, the magazine is on the top if the stock. Aren't they usually on the bottom?

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

lancaster
.470 member

Re: Combination Gun of the Week [Re: 9.3x57]
      #336032 - 01/01/20 09:15 PM

yes, most are on the bottom but you see stock magazine on top from time to time

a common drilling have the rifle barrel on the bottom because the force working against the breech when fired is much greater

- when the the barrel is a rifle barrel
- when the rifle barrel is higher, that means further away from the locking mechanism

so they having the barrel firing first ( what means firing more often) on the bottom and the barrel fired the second time on top. its not that the action can not withstand it safely but any break action will come loose sooner or later and its only a question of how many rounds you fire with this gun. to make the action working as long as possible before you have to repair the locking mechanism you try to reduce the force against the breech as much as possible.

--------------------

kuduae
.400 member

Reged: 13/01/10
Loc: middle of Germany
      #336051 - 02/01/20 06:28 AM

This Drilling cofiguration was invented and initially protected by W.Collath in 1896. It allows to fit a practical 2 rifle – 1 shot barrel assembly into a standard drilling action bar that usually does not have enough space to allow for a fat shot barrel with thick walls that connects the top rifle barrels to the underlumps. After Collath's design protection expired, this design was copied by other German and Austrian gunmakers. Usually the second rifle barrel is at the top left to be served by the rear trigger. The bottom barrel, served by the front trigger, usually is used first and more often. A "left – right" bang-bang is needed less often, if the first shot is well aimed. The most often used first rifle barrel is deep in the action bar, close to hinge ad lockup. This reduces stress on the action. Such a barrel assembly may be fitted into any production line drilling action, without need for an extra-wide action bar. This helps to streamlie production and keeps cost down. In GDR times only double rifle drillings of such a configuration were available from "Merkel" and other Suhl makers. Disadvantages: Reloading is a tad slower as you have to reload the lower, less accessible barrel more often. Regulation is sligtly more difficult too as the rifle barrels are at a slant angle instead of horizontal or up-down.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Combination Gun of the Week [Re: kuduae]
      #336065 - 02/01/20 05:30 PM

Thanks guys. Makes sense if it works to fit in an action size.

I am not sure what is meant by Magazine on top? For a break open gun? For the two German speakers I assume it is a translation issue.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

lancaster
.470 member

Re: Combination Gun of the Week [Re: NitroX]
      #336072 - 02/01/20 10:08 PM

this means the stock magazine on top

when its more common to have it underneath of the stock

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#336090 - 03/01/20 08:30 AM

Ah Ha! Thanks.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

lancaster
.470 member

#337717 - 09/02/20 05:24 PM

belgian made Drilling Mod.94 Aug. Lebeau A. Liege. Kal. 450 Express- 12 / 65
https://egun.de/market/item.php?id=8154678

--------------------

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Reged: 19/04/13
Loc: Melbourne Australia
      #337718 - 09/02/20 06:23 PM

One of those came up for auction in Melbourne.

Matt.

--------------------
There is nothing wrong with vegetarian food, so long as there is meat with it.

lancaster
.470 member

#338855 - 09/03/20 06:32 AM

https://auctions.springer-vienna.com/en/...;currentpos=173

S/S combination gun Carl Bock - Frankfurt, 11,15x60R (= Mauser M71); 16/65

70 cm barrels, engine-turned rib, open sights with additional folding leaf, extractor, doll's head, choked 1/2, breech ends silver inlaid with scroll surrounded cupids in hunting attire, gold inlaid ribbons, rounded action, flat fences, etched engraving with foliate scroll and black cocks on the left, red deer on the right, roe buck on tang, on the trigger guard a huntsman, disc-set strikers, double triggers with single set trigger in front, behind the trigger guard a horn manual cocking lever for both locks, engaged when press and to be relieved and decocked by a small latch , walnut stock, presumably restocked buttstock, fore-end with horn insert, Deeley latch, foliate scroll carving in place of the usual chequering, oval cheekpiece, with artificial horn elongated to 38 cm, German proof before 1939, with 72,5 cm S/S shotgun exchangeable barrels, #12031, choked 3/4 & 3/4, re-proof 1968 for 16/70, in a homemade plywood box with Styrofoam lining, both sets of barrels a little loose if fore-end is taken off, interesting for systems collectors, due to rust damage condition 4.

https://auctions.springer-vienna.com/de/...;currentpos=151

S/S sidelock combination rifle Gebr. Adamy - Suhl, 8x57IRS; .222Rem.64 cm barrels, engine-turned rib, open sights, split extractor, bright action, side bolsters, sideclips, Greener crossbolt, back-action sidelocks, engraved with shaded rose and scroll, en-suite engraved breech ends, cocking indicators, intercepting sears, sliding tang safety, double triggers, straight grained walnut stock, pistol grip, oval cheekpiece, rubber recoil pad 37,5 cm, fore-end with Deeley latch, sling swivels, German claw mounted Zeiss Diatal-C 6x32, reticule Plex, year of manufacture 1991, marks of use on scope and buttstock, otherwise condition 2-3.

https://auctions.springer-vienna.com/de/...;currentpos=152

O/U combination rifle Ziegenhahn & Sohn - Zella-Mehlis, .243 Win.; .17 HMR,

58,5 cm barrels, free floating lower rifle barrel adjustable at the muzzle, punched quarter rib, open sights, extractor, rounded, colour hardened, scalloped action, well shaped side bolsters, trigger plate lock, medium scroll engraved with gold inlaid rocailles, en-Suite engraved mounts, gold-washed single set trigger, manual cocking slide on tang, barrel selector on the left, gold inlaid family crest on trigger guard, strikingly grained walnut stock, fine chequering, fore-end with schnabel tip, Deeley latch, semi-pistol grip, oval cheekpiece, rubber recoil pad 37 cm, pivot mounted Swarovski Z6i 1,7-10x42, illuminated reticule Circle Dot, year of manufacture 2015, except scratched buttstock condition 2.

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #338877 - 09/03/20 01:55 PM

That bottom rifle is a slim one indeed.
Nice wood, too.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

lancaster
.470 member

#341727 - 05/06/20 05:03 AM

combination gun made for miller & greis in suhl

caliber is given with 16/65 and 10,5x73 , hmmmm, maybe the 400 Purdey 3"
https://egun.de/market/item.php?id=8720806

needs a professional restoration

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 52 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Huvius 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 134104

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com