Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Another Martini

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Single Shots & Combination Guns

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Another Martini [Re: DennisDaigger]
      #333946 - 28/10/19 02:54 PM

WOW - so much "work" taken for granted, yet to see it being done, is enlightening.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: Another Martini [Re: DarylS]
      #333985 - 29/10/19 07:12 AM

What do you do when you reassemble the scopes - do so inside a perplex tank filled with nitrogen?

Sarg
.400 member

Reged: 20/01/07
Loc: Nil
Re: Another Martini [Re: 93x64mm]
      #334009 - 29/10/19 06:44 PM

Magnificent work, just love these old girls, just sold off a few old English sporters on the large frame as I'm looking for a pistol grip stock model & I just don't like the hassle of the 577/450 that they were chambered in, I still have too many 577/450's unfortunately, a Jones Underlever single & a very nice (but scruffy) Cape gun underlever both meant to be other calibers when I got them !

I also have a safe full of the small frame's Cadets-12's-12/15 & Francotte, strangely one of the Francottes was converted to Rimfire from Centerfire & the chamber sleeved to .22, shoots amazingly well !

Nothing like your beauty, wish I could do that quality work !

DennisDaigger
.224 member

Reged: 27/01/11
Loc: Alaska
Re: Another Martini [Re: NitroX]
      #334189 - 05/11/19 05:02 AM

Here are some images of the chest and trunk for the 4-barreled Martini rifle.

The chest is constructed of black walnut and Alaska yellow cedar and the gun trunk is Honduras mahogany. The chest has a Gerstner style shutter that locks when the lid of the chest is closed and when removed reveals two drawers that house the barrels and the Lyman 310 reloading tools for the .25-20 WCF cartridge. The second drawer also houses the four cartridge blocks for the chamberings. The bottom shelf is for storage of the gun trunk.

DennisDaigger
.224 member

#334190 - 05/11/19 05:05 AM

Quote:

What do you do when you reassemble the scopes - do so inside a perplex tank filled with nitrogen?

Ambient air is all that fills the tubes. Silicone grease is used lightly on the ocular inner tube and around the top turret. We are a really harsh environment for scopes and this has worked fine to keep the water out.

Sarg
.400 member

#334191 - 05/11/19 06:27 AM

Ho Ho Holy Crap, that is absolutely awesome work, great looking set, Thank you for sharing here !

93x64mm
.416 member

Re: Another Martini [Re: Sarg]
      #334193 - 05/11/19 07:04 AM

Quote:

Ho Ho Holy Crap, that is absolutely awesome work, great looking set, Thank you for sharing here !

I think that is the understatement if there ever was one; you're cabinet making skills are superb to say the least Denis!
It certainly has been a labour of love to get to this point, to have all the (Ideal) reloading tools & mould etc to really turn this into a true Safari trunk!

Some of the cartridge blocks are rimfire, how do you now switch between CF & RF on your action?
The mind boggles?????

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
      #334197 - 05/11/19 08:52 AM

That's fantastic.
Really beautiful set of work there.

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

DennisDaigger
.224 member

Re: Another Martini [Re: tinker]
      #334199 - 05/11/19 12:53 PM

Two breach blocks, one rimfire and one centerfire. The centerfire block was converted from a rimfire block. Four extractors. Calibers:
.17 HMR, 22LR, 5.6x50R, and .25-20 WCF,

DarylS
.700 member

#334202 - 05/11/19 03:50 PM

What can I say - absolutely marvelous work, Dennis.

--------------------
Daryl

DennisDaigger
.224 member

#334213 - 06/11/19 03:32 AM

The barrels are 26" long, have a full ovate profile with integral oval Unertl style bases and three of them have longitudinal dovetails for front sights. The barrels were profiled by Morris Melani of Big Lake Alaska from 1.3" full round barrels and the front sight bases were also designed and made by him.

Edited by DennisDaigger (06/11/19 03:36 AM)

93x64mm
.416 member

#334219 - 06/11/19 07:19 AM

WOW!
It really is amazing work, but my hat must certainly go off to you mate for getting this all organised & put together.
To work out exactly what you want all in your head first, it truly a labour of love for just 'another Martini'....I think not; more like "The Martini"

HuviusModerator
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
      #334221 - 06/11/19 09:47 AM

So impressive!
Takes the switch barrel Martini concept to the next level.

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

DennisDaigger
.224 member

#334236 - 07/11/19 11:13 AM

These are the last images I'll post of the 4 barrel rifle.

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
      #334237 - 07/11/19 11:36 AM

Really nice work

Photos from the field are always nice to see as time goes on!

Have a great weekend.

Cheers
Tinker

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
Re: Another Martini [Re: tinker]
      #334239 - 07/11/19 12:02 PM

I want one!

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

paradox_
.375 member

Reged: 12/05/07
Loc: Australia
Re: Another Martini [Re: CptCurl]
      #334241 - 07/11/19 01:19 PM

Dennis....congratulations!!, and thank you for sharing your work with us.

--------------------
Walk softly and carry a big stick

DennisDaigger
.224 member

#334244 - 07/11/19 05:10 PM

Curl,
Maybe a lend. The .25-35 needs a proxy shooter at the next Don Kettelkamp Single Shot Stalking Rifle Match. A bit puny but surely a stalking rifle in every sense. After looking into attending last year it was simply too tiring to even think about but I do shoot vicariously in the match when reading the GGCA write ups.

DoubleD
.400 member

Reged: 23/11/03
Loc: Retired in Oklahoma
      #334245 - 08/11/19 12:00 AM

Back in the day I only dreamed of have having this kind of skill. I built a lot of plain Jane Martini sporters in my day, but never to this level. Mine always looked good and always shot well, but now where near the same class as these beautiful rifles. Did I say you mastered the lever end. Perfect!

A couple of questions about your thought process in building this gun-is a switch barrel, "this gun" or "these guns"?

Why didn't you build two trigger groups-one rim fire and one center fire?

How do you adjust for the 4 different load positions of the cartridges?

--------------------
DD, Ret.

DennisDaigger
.224 member

Re: Another Martini [Re: DoubleD]
      #334246 - 08/11/19 06:33 AM

DD,
The action is a takedown Model 6 and I was able to use the original breach block for both rimfire chamberings without any modification. Because there is a small difference in the head diameter of the .17 HMR and the .22LR there could have been an issue with the point of striker impact on the .17 HMR rim creating a problem with ignition. That didn't turn out to be a problem.

The centerfire breach block started as a rimfire and its position in the closed position was at the same height as the original rimfire block so the geometry of the block face to the breach end of the barrel was essentially the same. The change over to centerfire was pretty straight forward.

Parts for miniature Martinis are no longer easy to find so having another action group wasn't considered. When changing between rimfire and centerfire only the extractor and the block need to be swapped.

There is only one takedown screw for the four barrels and that was a bit more of a challenge. Morris used EDM to cut the tapers at the bottom of each barrel's threads and this works quite well.

Hope this answers your questions.

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
      #334248 - 08/11/19 09:03 AM

Quote:

Curl,
Maybe a lend. The .25-35 needs a proxy shooter at the next Don Kettelkamp Single Shot Stalking Rifle Match. A bit puny but surely a stalking rifle in every sense. After looking into attending last year it was simply too tiring to even think about but I do shoot vicariously in the match when reading the GGCA write ups.

It would be an honor! But I think you should come shoot it with our group.

Here's the line-up from October 2019:

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

DarylS
.700 member

#334250 - 08/11/19 12:04 PM

Fine looking group of gentlemen.

--------------------
Daryl

DennisDaigger
.224 member

Re: Another Martini [Re: DoubleD]
      #334251 - 08/11/19 12:57 PM

DD,
"this gun" or "these guns"?--I now simply think of it as a silly project. The only multi-barreled gun I want to work with in the future will have the barrels securely soldered together with ribs top and bottom. I still have the checkering to do on three forearms and the pistol grip, 2-3 rust bluing passes on the barrels and most of the case and chest lining to do. The lining is Hainsworth calvary yellow wool and complements the dark stuff nicely. This shows the lining of the reloading tools and ammo blocks that are inset into a 1 1/8" piece of yellow cedar that has been routed out.

The top part of the chest will house the action/butt stock, a Fecker and a Unertl scope, a cleaning rod and the BSA 8 peep sight. That part of the chest is not yet divided and lined.

Here is what the EDM cuts on the thread shank looks like and the precision of this process gives very good consistency from barrel to barrel.

This project is about mile 17 of a marathon and I can't imagine being a professional and having to do this for a client.

DennisDaigger
.224 member

#334252 - 08/11/19 01:50 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Finally someone who knows how to make a graceful lever on a Martini. Beautiful gun, well done.

Not just the lever but everything I see on this rifle is top notch.
To my eye, the little things such as the shape of the flat on the stock, how the checkering works with the shape of the grip, the sling swivels, how the lever comes down and meets the grip cap, etc. are what put this particular Martini way above most that you see.
I want to know how much of this build did you do on your own. It all looks like “Guild” quality to me!

I think 'Guild' quality is spot on here, beautiful work to say the least from all involved!
Could you step through the work involved in more detail please as to the scope, mounts, peep sight etc - absolutely stunning workmanship!
Is that also a take down mechanism that you have on this rifle as well?
We can't get enough of quality around here!
Love the case work also, that could be a whole segment by itself.....

This should be the final post for the .25-35.

I had started making a peep sight base some years ago that fitted into the cleaning rod hole at the back of the action. I wanted something that could be easily removed instead of the fold-down BSA which invariably left a mark on the top of the pistol grip. I got as far as making a base but could not quite figure out how to make an aperture stem on a windage adjustable platform. I serendipitously ran into a Lyman 30 1/2 sight and immediately saw the possibility. I discussed the idea with Morris and he made a base that had a dovetail cut in the rear. The original Lyman base was discarded and the aperture stem was slide into the base and secured.

To index the base vertically Morris EDM'd a shallow inverted V into the top of the cleaning rod hole. A corresponding V is on the upper surface of the part of the base that inserts into the action hole. Finally a vertical thumb screw in the base locks the sight in place when it is screwed full down and engages a shallow depression in the top of the action tang.

These photos show the sight on Morris' project that was being built in parallel to mine. His has two rimfire barrels and there is a sight for each of the barrels.

I appreciate all of the positive feedback on these projects and hope these postings inspire someone to start or finish a languishing project.

Sarg
.400 member

#334256 - 08/11/19 04:42 PM

Haha, well I got mine out of the Gun Cabinet but any thing I can do would Pale into insignificance compared to your amazing skill but maybe I will finish one or two of them !

Thank you again for share your work & rifle/rifles here with us .

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 19 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Huvius 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 12708

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com