Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 19th Century Austrian Sporting Rifle

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Single Shots & Combination Guns

Pages: 1
The_Goose
.224 member

Reged: 03/03/17
Loc: Burlington, MA USA
19th Century Austrian Sporting Rifle
      #296178 - 03/03/17 11:51 PM

Greetings. I am new here. I posted the write up below on the ASSRA forum and a fellow there suggested that I post it here. He thought that here were some very knowledgeable folks here regarding vintage European sporting rifles. Any additional information on either the maker or the cartridge would be appreciated. The cartridge dimensions are in the post, but just to recap. It takes a .446" bullet, the case length is 2.35" and the case is slightly tapered. The rim diameter is .586". Thank you.

I am extremely proud of this particular project. Although I have formed brass for quite a few antique firearms I have always had a starting place. I knew the caliber and was able to look up a likely parent case. This one I had to figure out and I still do not know what caliber it actually is.

First the rifle. It was built by Johan Rosler in the 1880's. So far this is all I can find out about him. "Johann Rosler was listed as a gunsmith in Salzburg Austria from the 1870s until the 1890s and was a maker of Fine Rifles, Drillings, and shotguns. He was appointed Buchmiester or Royal Court Maker sometime in the 1880s where he was the sole maker of firearms for the Royal Austrian Court and held this title until the 1890s."

It is a single shot hunting/stalking rifle chambered in some 11mm caliber. It was sold to me as chambered in .43 Mauser, but it is not. It is finely engraved and in almost mint condition. Even the screw heads are engraved and it has a Greek god face carved horn cap on the pistol grip.

Double set triggers and a tang sight that completely folds into the tang and out of sight. Bore is pristine.

As I said it was sold to me as a .43 Mauser and it is not so I had to figure out what it is. Here is my process. I tried to chamber a .43 Mauser round, but the body of the case was too thick to fit. I took a chamber cast and slugged the bore. The groove diameter is .446 which would be consistent with a .43 Mauser. However, the chamber cast showed a tapered case not a bottle neck. I measured everything and searched all of my literature and on line and could not find a match. I contacted some folks in Germany and Austria, but nothing. On a hunch I ran a .43 Mauser case up into a 45/70 sizing die. The case now chambered perfectly, however, if you are familiar with the .43 Mauser case there is a "bump out" on the back of the rim. I do not know what that is called (I now know A-Boden). So although the newly sized case fit the chamber the rifle would not close because of the "bump out". I ground off the "bump" and voila, it chambered perfectly. Except now the primer could not be seated deeply enough with the material ground off. Aaaarggh! For the heck of it I tried to chamber a 45/70 case, but of course now it was the neck that was too large (.458 bullet as opposed to .446). I ran the 45/70 case into the .43 Mauser sizing die which gave the 45/70 a very slight bottle neck, but it chambered up to the rim which was too big and too thick. I chucked it in the lathe and cut the rim diameter from .600 to .586 and then slowly thinned the rim working slowly from the inside back until it would chamber. Once I had done this once it was now repeatable and I made 20 pieces. For a bullet I used a soft lead 300 gr. Gasser revolver bullet sized to .446 and lubed with SPG. I suspected that the case would hold better then 60 grs of 2F black powder, but I wanted a more reduced load. Old rifle and also it only weighs about 6 1/2 lbs. so I wanted to go light. I loaded 50 grs. of Goex 2F and then topped off with Cream of Wheat as a filler. Then a .030 wad, a grease cookie and another wad. Lastly I seated the bullet. Oh yeah, large magnum rifle primer. Below are 2 rounds. The bottleneck is a bit hard to see.

My thinking was that once I fired it then it would size to the chamber and the bottleneck would be gone. The chamber cast showed a 2.35 case length as opposed to the 2.10 of the 45/70. I figured that if the round showed any promise I could try it with some 45/90 brass. Today the weather was nice and I finally hit the range.
Below is the last 5 shot group that I fired. I am pretty pleased with the results. Shoots a bit to the left, but I can drift the sight in the future. I think that if I play with loads and bullet weights this old timer promises to be a good shooter. The rifle hits point of aim at 50 yards and the flip up tang sight co-witnesses with the open sight.

You can see 2 of the fired cases in this photo. The bottleneck is gone.

Until I find out differently I have dubbed this round 11mm Rosler in honor of the maker. I am just thrilled with the outcome. This is a 130 year old rifle of unknown caliber which has been brought back to life.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
HuviusModerator
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
Re: 19th Century Austrian Sporting Rifle [Re: The_Goose]
      #296187 - 04/03/17 02:42 AM

Excellent job!
I love to see these old rifles brought back into service and this one is a beauty for sure.
Welcome to NitroExpress!

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: 19th Century Austrian Sporting Rifle [Re: Huvius]
      #296192 - 04/03/17 04:36 AM

Good job on getting that old fella shooting, Goose. You went ahead on it about the only way possible.
Many of these guns, it seems, were one-offs - custom rifle and ctg. that perhaps wasn't around long enough to become a standard or factory number, just as we have many wildcats today.
oops - gotta go see The Man!
later!

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

fuhrmann
.333 member

Reged: 04/01/05
Loc: Switzerland
Re: 19th Century Austrian Sporting Rifle [Re: DarylS]
      #296199 - 04/03/17 05:18 AM

Goose

Welcome here and congratulations - very good and interesting rifle, good handloading work!

Here is a selection of candidate cartridges:

from left to right:
.45-70 for comparison
11,5x50R Werndl M67
11,5x40R Mauser base
11,5x50R (Mauser base or Bavarian Werder)
11,5x60R Mauser base
11,5x60R D 450 Express
11,5x63R D 450 Express ??
11,5x65R D 450 Express
11,5x70R D 450 Express
11,5x82,5 D450 Express

Per your description, this is probably a 11,5x60R Express / .450 Express.
This was quite standard then, but some variants existed.
Exact determination is an academic exercise, but as Daryl said, your practical way is the way to go!

fuhrmann

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: 19th Century Austrian Sporting Rifle [Re: fuhrmann]
      #296211 - 04/03/17 08:35 AM

Wonderful achievement to get such a fine old rifle going again!
Not wrong about it's condition - almost looks mint!
Love that tang peep sight!

Ash
.400 member

Reged: 10/05/11
Loc: Australia
Re: 19th Century Austrian Sporting Rifle [Re: 93x64mm]
      #296219 - 04/03/17 09:57 AM

Gorgeous! Congratulations and impressive work on making the cases.

PS: welcome to the forum!

--------------------

HuviusModerator
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
Re: 19th Century Austrian Sporting Rifle [Re: Ash]
      #296225 - 04/03/17 11:49 AM

There were a couple Sheutzen cartridges at the time that could be close candidates and as Daryl says, a buyer could specify just about anything they wished from the maker.
Can you show the proofs? Do they give any idea of where to start?
You do look like you have her close regardless of what the original cartridge designation is.

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

Old_Glass
.300 member

Reged: 17/03/10
Loc: BC, Canada
Re: 19th Century Austrian Sporting Rifle [Re: Huvius]
      #296366 - 06/03/17 06:52 AM

Given his prominent role as court gunmaker perhaps his records exist somewhere in Austria? If there is a serial number on the rifle, or even if there is not, perhaps you could find out who it was built for and when?

cordite
.333 member

Reged: 29/01/07
Loc: NW Montana
Re: 19th Century Austrian Sporting Rifle [Re: Old_Glass]
      #296387 - 06/03/17 02:11 PM

Great job. Isn't it fun going through the process of figuring out what an old rifle like this needs and then making it happen? I think you have earned an advanced degree in handloading.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 45 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Huvius 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5142

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com