Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Pedersoli Sharps ?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Single Shots & Combination Guns

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
3DogMike
.400 member

Reged: 29/01/15
Loc: Western Slope, Colorado USA
Re: Pedersoli Sharps ? [Re: Wayne59]
      #278618 - 29/02/16 12:06 PM

Buffalo Arms is your friend for black powder:
http://www.buffaloarms.com/Content.aspx?PAGE=Black%20Powder

Will ship even single lb if you want........

I have found over the years that for the British BP Express Cartridges both Goex or Elephant work best duplexed and compressed about 1/10".......personally use 5-10% SR4759. Gets velocities where they ought to be and burns cleaner.
Swiss much cleaner, less hard fouling, and better velocities for equal measure when using straight black.
- Mike

Back to the thread:
I had a Pedersoli 1874 Hartford some years ago in .45 2 7/8", barrel was accurate however it just was not as appealing as a Shiloh or C. Sharps. Mostly due to finish on the wood, slightly different "feel" and visual styling of forend, and odd treatment of the pewter forend tip. Action and barrel were quite nice tho......
- Mike

--------------------
"Here's to killing people you don't like with people you do"

"Will Rogers never met a fighter pilot"
- Anon

“Always carry a flask of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake."
-- W. C. Fields

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Pedersoli Sharps ? [Re: 3DogMike]
      #278627 - 29/02/16 02:31 PM

The guys in the States who reside over at ALR forum, know of a couple outfits in the States who ship right to your door. A purchase of 10 or more # is best due to the haz-mat fee, but about anything is possible, seems to me.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

500Boswell
.400 member

Reged: 21/07/06
Loc: Queensland
Re: Pedersoli Sharps ? [Re: DarylS]
      #278629 - 29/02/16 02:51 PM

I got a look at a Sharps Pedersoli carbine ,overall i thought it was good ,the wood to metal fitting could have been a bit better ,but then its not a 3 or 4 thousand dollar rifle ,the action was tight and block nicely finished and polished ,the barrel was spotless with no tool marks i could see ,wood was ordinary ,but i think Sharps look better with ordinary wood as they were designed as working rifles ,like 3DogMike said ,had a slightly different ''feel'' to the Shiloh i had [which had btw a ladder sight that moved from left to right a bit was loose ] in the end its all about how much you want to spend ,if i can sell enough of my modern rifles i would like to get a C.Sharps in 50/90,for the moment will be content with a Pedersoli
Thanks again for the replies everyone
Cheers

Wayne59
.400 member

Reged: 20/06/15
Loc: Lagrange Ga. USA
Re: Pedersoli Sharps ? [Re: 500Boswell]
      #278680 - 01/03/16 12:26 PM

If you don't mind a little work you can strip the finish and then re oil. Re hand cut the checkering and it makes a different gun out of the Pedersoli. Saw one a fellow did and it looked darn good.

Ireload2
.224 member

Reged: 11/08/13
Loc: USA
      #278965 - 08/03/16 01:49 PM

I have 2. One is the Billy Dixon version in 45-70 and the other is a Long Range Express in 50-70. Because both of my rifles were higher cost Pedersoli models their finish is very good. I bought both used but as new for about 55% of the catalog prices. In the US the exchange rate has hiked the cost of new Pedersolis a good bit but used rifles continue to be a bargain. You can buy nice used rifles from $900 to $1200.

I shoot both with 4759 and cast bullets. Accuracy for 5 shots is about 1.5" to 2" at 100 meters.
I shoot only aperture sights at round black bullseyes so these groups are easy to shoot with good bullets.

You can find a youtube video of the Pedersoli factory and the barrel making process.
The barrels are excellent with some choke at the muzzle for improved accuracy.

The American made competitors are very nice rifles but I don't like them enough to pay the premium prices. They don't make it clear there is several hundred dollars in sales tax added to their prices.
By the time you add everything on to get up to the level of one of the fancier Pedersolis you are looking at $3200 to $4000.

For the most part Pedersolis will compete accuracy wise with the Montana rifles though they can never match the curb appeal. You will have to add better sights. The normal Pedersoli tang sight is a low priced $50 muzzle loader sight.

Send me a PM if I missed anything you might like to know.

For a better perspective check out the Cast Boolits web site.
There is an Aussie by the handle Bad Ass Wallace. He has 5 different Pedersoli models in 5 different calibers with good photos on the following thread. Perhaps you can contact him for more details.
If the link does not work copy and paste it into your browser.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?160681-Introducing-a-new-shooter-to-BPCR

Quote:

Hello ,
Does anyone own a Pedersoli Sharps [in any config] what you think of it, accuracy ,build quality,calibre etc
Thanks

Edited by Ireload2 (08/03/16 02:07 PM)

DarylS
.700 member

Re: Pedersoli Sharps ? [Re: Ireload2]
      #278972 - 08/03/16 06:22 PM

Here's my Bro's Shiloh, in .50/90. His accuracy load is 600gr. SP BuffaloArms mould powered by 91gr. Swiss 1 1/2F. This rifle and load placed 1st and 2nd (I used it too) in the Quigly match at Rendezvous BC 2015, last year.
This rifle started life for him, as a barreled action in about 1980 or 81- stocked by him in Claro Walnut - with a Niedner butt plate - and .45 3 1/4". Took us 8 years to find a cast bullet load it would shoot with BP in it's 1 1/2" deep rifling. He shot numerous 1" to 1 1/2" groups at 100 meters with smokeless and jacketed as well as black powder and 500gr. Hornady Jacketed bullets. It was not until we tired bore sized paper patched pure lead 400gr. bullets and black powder that it shot well with cast bullets.
The rust blued barrel on it now, as shown in the picture, is a McGowen 24" twist, #3 heavy taper x 28" bl. Last summer, I watched Taylor shoot a 2", 5-shot group at 200 meters with this rifle off the simple 'chunk' rest he is using in the picture - with no rear bag. That Harry McGowen, St. Anne. Illinois barrel shoots. Rifle weight - 11 1/2 pounds.

--------------------
Daryl

TonyD227
.300 member

Reged: 09/07/15
Loc: NSW Australia
      #279083 - 10/03/16 09:43 PM

Damn you all!

Now I have got to get one of these for myself

I am looking at the Pedersoli Old West Walnut with a creedmoore soule long range added to it.

http://www.davide-pedersoli.com/scheda-p...est-walnut.html

http://www.davide-pedersoli.com/scheda-a...long-range.html

Partly cost driven but I do like the look of this model.

What are your thoughts?

Do I need a globe front sight if I get the creedmoore rear sight?

--------------------
When to much recoil is just not enough.

DarylS
.700 member

Re: Pedersoli Sharps ? [Re: TonyD227]
      #279097 - 11/03/16 03:38 AM

I have the Pedersoli Soule sight on my Sharps with the Pedersoli Globe Sharps front sight and they are OK.

Taylor has the Soule sight sold by Buffalo Arms (C-Sharps or something) and it is of higher quality (& cost) than the Pedersoli sight, along with the spirit level aperture front sight. Seems to me those two sights of his came to around $1,500.00. The Hadley adjustable disk is a really nice addition to the Staff.

--------------------
Daryl

Wayne59
.400 member

#279115 - 11/03/16 12:19 PM

As much as I like Hawkins style stocks that is going to be painful to shoot. I had one once and after I sold it the next three I bought were shot gun style but plates. I still have them. As for the globe sight in a word yes. The interchangeable inserts are a blessing for poor eye sight. Hadley eye cups are also a must IMHO.

TonyD227
.300 member

#279130 - 11/03/16 04:46 PM

Thanks Gents,

Yep reconsidering the Hawkins butt and will definitely go with the globe on the front as well as the Creedmoor.

Models and type will depend on what's available here in Aust.

--------------------

Englishman
.275 member

Reged: 09/12/09
Loc: Lot,France
      #279134 - 12/03/16 12:04 AM

I have a Pedersoli Sharps in 45/120 (3 1/4") and I have never had a moments doubt that it will deliver accuracy, and reliability, however, I do not load it up to full power for the range, I use circa 95 grs Swiss BP, the airspace being filled with a wax wad, the modern case will not take the full 120 grs of powder due to the heavy construction of the solid head case, as to finish, I have seen C Sharps repros and have been less than impressed, the engraving looks like it was done by a kid, and the last one I saw looked like dull chrome plated! A very big advantage of the Pedersoli is that the frame/action, is made the proper way, by forging, this is so much better and stronger than machining from a solid block,(which is how the C Sharps is made), I wonder if these manufacturers export the less than perfect pieces to USA, knowing the standards there are so much lower, I have heard the same comments about quality of the Uberti products, all of these manufacturers products are of excellent, (better than original), when sold in Europe.
Having just looked at the comparative prices between USA and Europe, I cant help thinking the USA exports must be some reduced quality products as I see the prices in USA are almost half of those in Europe, even allowing for EU taxes there is still a huge difference, that goes for both Uberti, and Pedersoli.

Edited by Englishman (12/03/16 12:15 AM)

DarylS
.700 member

Re: Pedersoli Sharps ? [Re: Englishman]
      #279154 - 12/03/16 07:23 AM

Interesting Englishman.

The RCBS brass I used would only "hold" 116gr. 2f GOEX, lube wad and bullet, as you indicate, not a full 120gr.

The 120gr. load, ie: .45-120-550 was the load originally used in the Sharps 2 7/8" case. Christian Sharps never chambered a 3 1/4" case.

Bell's brass I also used in my .45 3-1/4" chambered rolling block. That brass held a full 122gr. 2F, lube wad and the base of my bore size, patched 580's, making it 'fixed' ammo. The Bell brass was solid base, but of less thickness than the RCBS brass, I assume.

What the capacity of these .45 3-1/4" cases being made today by Starline or others happens to be, I do not know.

Due to my patched bullets being bore-sized and of soft lead, they expanded to fill the grooves quite well, shooting into just over 1 MOA at 100 meters. I only shot to 300meters so cannot comment on the longer range accuracy of my rifle's R. Hoch barrel.

I have never seen a Pedersoli Sharps that even came close to matching the quality of a Shiloh Sharps in action and finish & I have seen a number of both of these makes, albeit, many more Shiloh Sharps than Pedersoli's.

I have never inspected a 'modern' C. Sharps rifle, so I cannot comment on their quality in comparison to the Uberti or Pedersoli rifles.

Prices are higher in Europe because they can be. Those same Pedersoli Sharps rifles sold here are cheaper than US made Sharps and this is due, quite obviously, to the Euro versions being of poor quality in comparison.

I will say this about 'some' Italian guns, though, - I own a model 1876 Winchester in .50/95 made by Uberti - it is superb and is of higher quality than that which the original 1876 Winchesters possessed.

Wayne59
.400 member

#279167 - 12/03/16 12:38 PM

I am not sure what that gentleman has been looking at but both C Sharps and Shilo sharps are the standards all others are judged by. There was nothing wrong with Petersoli until lately But it seems there quality is slipping over the last couple of years. (I have a Kodiak that has chatter marks down both barrels and the holes for the nipples were drilled improperly). As for your statement that cast actions are of higher quality. They use the casting process because it is more cost effective than machining from solid bar stock and when done properly (Ruger is a prime example)it is a very efficient way to make firearms. They are not stronger than an action machined from a billet of steel.

500Boswell
.400 member

#279491 - 18/03/16 10:05 AM

I bought a New Pedersoli Sharps Silhouette 45/70 ,it is well made and i cant find anything to fault in it ,its well made and nice ,have not fired it yet ,but i didnt have to wait 3 months or 3 years for it ,any manufacturer can produce faulty items ,i have bought two New double rifles over the years and both had problems and cheaper new rifles that had problems ,US made and European .Im in two minds about the Shiloh being investment cast ,i know they are strong and look nice and well finished [i had one],the C.Sharps and Pedersoli are both machined C.Sharps from a billet, the Pedersoli from a Forging ,which to me seems more in keeping with Traditional manufacturing ,in the end they are all Replicas ,unless you have the High $ for and Original Sharps

Wayne59
.400 member

#279496 - 18/03/16 12:53 PM

Unfortunately the last Petersoli I bought I bid it off of gun Broker so I was stuck with it. It was one of those rare Instances (I feel) were it should never have left the factory. That's why I said earlier to make sure you look it over closely. Others have also been complaining about there quality. All of the currant sharps actions are suitable for what they were designed for. Hope you enjoy your new sharps. 45/70 is one of the most versatile cartridges to load.

TonyD227
.300 member

#279502 - 18/03/16 04:56 PM

Thanks all.

Looking at the different models and the costs to upgrade sights I am definitely looking at a model that comes complete.

The Boss is looking like the best compromise between price and options at the moment.

My only problem though is that before I lay down $2400ish I would like to see and hold what I am buying.

A few have warned me that I may be let down by the finish and feel, they may have had bad experiences?

Are there any Sydney or nth/sth NSW stores that may stock them?

Given all the stores I have spoken to have to order them in I am guessing few/any have the gun in stock.

--------------------

500Boswell
.400 member

Re: Pedersoli Sharps ? [Re: TonyD227]
      #279503 - 18/03/16 05:33 PM

TonyD227 ,
your best bet is to contact Graham Forbes ,''Forbes Wholesale'' who imports them ,and talk to him about what you want and get photos of a prospective rifle ,or have it sent to your dealer so you can get a look at it, even if you have to pay some freight one way or both ways ,bite the bullet and go from there, iam happy with mine !!!!! even if you buy a Shiloh or C.Sharps you will have the wait etc before you have it in your hands ,which is long drawn out and $$$ before you get it and i dont feel like doing that again

Wayne59
.400 member

#279512 - 19/03/16 12:00 AM

The last C Sharps that I ordered they gave me a six month delivery date and they met it. The hole gun was special ordered and the price was around 2700.00 USD. I ordered the gun with the straightest grain wood they could get there hands on and a heavy octagon to round 32" barrel. The owner called back about two weeks later to confirm the order. He thought there was a mistake because of my choice of wood.

500Boswell
.400 member

#279545 - 19/03/16 10:35 AM

I emailed C.Sharps about a Month ago and they told me the build time for the
Hartford stock standard rifle was 90 days which isnt bad .

Wayne59
.400 member

#279547 - 19/03/16 11:08 AM

When I checked with Shilo they wanted 18 mo. 90 days is great. I will tell you that when my gun arrived it was not without a couple of minor issues. There was a small machine chip that had found its way into the chamber and a case would not fit into the chamber. I was in the process of boxing it up to send it back when I spotted the problem. The second issue showed up the first time I took it to the range. When I cocked the hammer and let go the gun discharged. I took it home removed the lock and cleaned some kind of grit out and re-oiled it and there have been no further problems. I was mildly annoyed over the hole incident. For the kind of money these cost you should not have to deal with these kind of issue's.

500Boswell
.400 member

#279552 - 19/03/16 02:25 PM

I cant comprehend how some manufacturers can let a NOT perfect product out their doors like that ,i couldnt in good conscience let some of the Brand new guns i have bought, out the door ,i dont know what it is modern ''mentality ''or dont care or cant be bothered attitude, or, if it comes back [possibly] we will fix it then,years ago i had Italian motorbikes moto guzzi and ducati while the basic machine was good, it was let down by poor quality control and some bad engineering ,im sure the ones nowadays are perfect when new ,or whether its the siesta time in Italy when they return to work half asleep or half sloshed from too many vinos stuffs things up,one brand Miroku is in my experience top quality and always perfect maybe too glossy and shiny but i cannot fault them ,some guns many times their price are not as good

Wayne59
.400 member

#279564 - 19/03/16 11:59 PM

What really goated me was when I contacted them they wanted me to pay the return shipping and insurance. That's about another $100.00. Were not talking about sending back a tooth brush. They also insisted that they had test fired the gun. Obviously some one wasn't doing there job. Don't get me wrong. Both of my C Sharps are really nice guns but I will not be ordering from them again.

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
      #279588 - 20/03/16 08:44 AM

If anyone is interested, I am selling my Sharps Borschardt clones, made by Argus Barker of Monarch
Tool Company, Stevensville, MT. They can be seen on Guns International, offered by Pendleton Firearms. http://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-fo...un_id=100675521

I refer to them as clones because they are exact reproductions of the originals, with parts that interchange. They are truly works of art, but at my age and physical condition, I can no longer justify keeping them. They need to go to someone who can enjoy them on the range.

DarylS
.700 member

Re: Pedersoli Sharps ? [Re: xausa]
      #279591 - 20/03/16 10:53 AM

NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
Daryl

greenshoots
.300 member

Reged: 23/05/08
Loc: uk
      #279611 - 21/03/16 01:16 AM

damm thats nice

greenshoots

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 51 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Huvius 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 26172

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com