Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Highwalls from the Xausa archives

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Single Shots & Combination Guns

Pages: 1
dale
.333 member

Reged: 28/02/06
Loc: logan W.V.
Highwalls from the Xausa archives
      #104963 - 13/05/08 03:21 PM

I'm posting a few of Xausa's custom highwalls. All the metal work was done by Harry Creighton and all the wood by Hal Hartley.

Sharps Borschardt 25 Ackley improved krag

Win highwll 219 improved zipper

highwall in 218B

highwall in 30-40 krag

highwall in 250-3000R (cases formed from 8x57r brass)

highwall in 7x57R

highwall 6mm/225 (coil spring action)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Carpetsahib
.333 member

Reged: 29/04/07
Loc: Western NC
Re: Highwalls from the Xausa archives [Re: dale]
      #113730 - 06/09/08 11:03 AM

Great photos of work by a couple of fine gentlemen. I knew both Hal and Harry pretty well, and treasure fond memories of both of them. Hal succumbed from a stroke in 1984 and Harry succumbed from a heart attack in 1985.

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Highwalls from the Xausa archives [Re: Carpetsahib]
      #113734 - 06/09/08 11:46 AM

Very interesting series!

The scopes are a real study in vintage glass, too.

What are they?

Great pic's, and great rifles.

Tho I'm sure the groundhogs and whitetails think differently...

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Glenn_Fewless
.300 member

Reged: 08/05/08
Loc: Wisconsin, USA
Re: Highwalls from the Xausa archives [Re: 9.3x57]
      #113797 - 07/09/08 03:01 AM

Nice stuff.

Seeing as how in all those pictures of different rifles the barrels leaning against the wall never move, that must be a collection worthy of impure thought. There is a bit of a revival in interest the 50's and 60's custom single shots, and folks are collecting them.

Thanks for the pictures.

Glenn

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
Re: Highwalls from the Xausa archives [Re: dale]
      #113840 - 07/09/08 12:09 PM

Very nice rifles, Dale. Thanks for posting these pics.

Xausa,

Congratulations on some really lovely custom single shots!

You must have some hunting pictures / tales for us whenever you find time.

Good hunting, everyone!

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
Re: Highwalls from the Xausa archives [Re: 9.3x57]
      #113901 - 08/09/08 02:44 AM

The Scopes are as follows:

.25 Ackley Improved Krag Fecker 1 1/8" 12X
.219 Ackley Improved Zipper Unertl Vulture 8X
.218 Bee Unertl 1 1/4" 8X
.30-40 Krag Unertl 1" 8X
.250-3000R Lyman All American Perma Center 6X
7X57R Leupold VariX III 1.5-5X
6mm/.225 Unertl 1" 8X

Virtually all of the actions were acquired from a man named W. Carl Barnhart, who lived in New Carlisle, Ohio. I first bought the action for the .219 Improved Zipper from him answering an ad in Shotgun News. This would have been about 1958 or 59, and the action cost $25.00. I later drove up to see Mr. Barnhart, and he sold me eight more Highwalls, either actions of complete rifles with bad barrels. I paid no more than $35.00 for any of them. Three of them went to a friend who had sent a Model 12 Winchester shotgun along as trade goods, and I kept the rest.

The rifles were built up over a period of years, step by step, first having the actions bushed and a suitable firing pin fitted, then a barrel was fitted, and finally the barrelled actions were sent to Hal Hartley for stocking. As I recall, at the time Hal charged $65.00 for a stock, including the wood. The Niedner butt plate and grip cap were bought and furnished by me.

Hal only furnished maple stock blanks. If you wanted walnut, you had to furnish the blank yourself. There was no reduction in price. My walnut blanks (I also have four bolt rifles stocked in walnut by Hal) all came from Flaig's, Incorporated, in Millvale, PA.

Over the years, Hal and Harry Creighton, whom I had known from 1958 until his death in 1985, developed a serendipitous relationship. Harry, who did not do wood work, would recommend customers to Hal for stocks, and Hal, who did no metal work, would refer his customers to Harry for rebarrelling and conversions.

The 7X57R has an interesting story attached to it. In the spring of 1979, I was in Ashville, NC for a small bore match, and decided to pay Hal a visit in relatively nearby Lenoir. He had just moved into a log house which he had built singlehandedly himself, and which he was very proud of. We had a nice visit, and toward the conclusion, I asked him about an acquaintance whom I had recommended Hal to as a stockmaker.

Hal got a funny expression on his face and left the room, only to return with the butt stock and foreend pictured on the 7X57R. He said that he had shipped the rifle to the customer, but had not heard from him and had not been paid. When he wrote inquiring if the rifle had arrived, the two piece stock had been returned to him without comment. I was astounded when I looked them over, and asked Hal if he would sell it to me. He was happy to do so, and we immediately closed the deal.

When I got back to Nashville, I called the acquaintance who had returned the stock and asked him what the problem had been. He said that the work "wasn't up to his standards." I told him that it was up to mine, and did he have any plans for the barrelled action, a Highwall converted to .218 Bee. He said that he would be willing to sell it, and I bought it from him. Since I already had a Bee, I had the barrel removed and fitted to a Lowall action, which I then sold, and had the profile of the Bee barrel reproduced in 7X57R. I still don't know why the stock didn't measure up. It is one of Hal's finest creations.

Carpetsahib
.333 member

Re: Highwalls from the Xausa archives [Re: xausa]
      #113908 - 08/09/08 04:37 AM

What ever happened to Harry's .35 Whelen? It was built on a Springfield action, if I remember correctly. Harry built the stock on that one and I must say he did a very fine job.

By the way, do the name "Blue-Spotted Bill" mean anything to you?

xausa
.400 member

#113977 - 08/09/08 10:28 PM

My, you are in the know.

I can tell you exactly where Harry's .35 Whelen is, but I'm not sure the present owner would want it advertised. As Harry's executor, I had the sad task of auctioning off his guns, and the vast majority of them went to long time friends who would never part with them, including the .35 Whelen and Harry's .220 Swift, with the apple wood stock, and his several high walls.

Yes, I know Bill Cude and I know how he got the name. I was the original owner of Battle Ground Armory and know all about Bill's unfortunate business venture with Kerry Hazlewood, who worked for me from age 18 up until shortly before his untimely death.

Carpetsahib
.333 member

Re: Highwalls from the Xausa archives [Re: xausa]
      #114003 - 09/09/08 10:16 AM

Quote:

My, you are in the know.

I can tell you exactly where Harry's .35 Whelen is, but I'm not sure the present owner would want it advertised. As Harry's executor, I had the sad task of auctioning off his guns, and the vast majority of them went to long time friends who would never part with them, including the .35 Whelen and Harry's .220 Swift, with the apple wood stock, and his several high walls.

Yes, I know Bill Cude and I know how he got the name. I was the original owner of Battle Ground Armory and know all about Bill's unfortunate business venture with Kerry Hazlewood, who worked for me from age 18 up until shortly before his untimely death.

Bill, you probably would remember me. I actually went to your house once when you lived over near Triune (if I remember correctly). Harry had built a .416 Rigby for me on a Ruger No.1 action. Having gotten tired of it, I traded it to you in partial payment for a Hollis 12 ga. full rifle. You remember it, I'm sure. It was the one that you sent to Fajen to be restocked, with instructions that they should match the butt to the forend (which was not to be replaced). Unfortunately, the forend had a very plain piece of wood and that is what they used for the butt stock.

I lived in Franklin for a couple of years and worked at Murray. I was at BGA EVERY WEEK - trading and so forth. On Saturdays, I would get to the store around 7:15 AM and visit with Harry most of the day. He seemed to like me and I know that I liked him.

I saw George Crouse a few years ago and he told me about Kerry's death - I believe he said that was in 1985. Then a few years ago, someone told me that Mr. Charlie Haffner had passed. I was sorry to hear about both of those deaths.

xausa
.400 member

#114277 - 12/09/08 08:15 PM

I'm in Germany right now, tying up some loose ends on some double rifle projects, so I didn't see your entry until just now. I still have the Ruger, but it's off being stocked by a local stockmaker named Sherman Mays, who works for one of the major tire manufacturers and does stockmaking as a hobby. He has the original stock from my Farquaharson and is using it as a model. I need to check with him on his progress.

Incidentally, dale is at the present time auctioning for me on Gunbroker a Model 70 .375 which Sherman stocked. It's a nice, but somewhat unusual piece.

Good to hear from you and to get back into contact with another of Harry's admirers.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 31 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Huvius 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6917

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com