Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Stevens single shot

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Single Shots & Combination Guns

Pages: 1
Tatume
.400 member

Reged: 09/06/07
Loc: Gloucester, Va USA
Stevens single shot
      #106414 - 31/05/08 11:38 PM

Hello Folks,

I'm visiting my friend in St. Croix, USVI, and he showed me a rifle I would like to identify. The action has the general appearance of a Stevens Favorite, but although it is chambered in 22 LR, it is of heavier construction, and is larger than a Favorite. It is color case hardened. Operating the S-lever rolls/lowers the breech block and cocks the hammer. It had some sort of target rear sight, although parts, including the blade or aperture, are missing. The front sight is missing. The barrel is drilled and tapped for target blocks, such as might be used with a Lyman Super Target Spot externally adjustable rifle scope. The stock is almost full length, and is stepped to a smaller diameter near the muzzle. It does not have a model number on the action or barrel. Although the number "20" is stamped in small numerals on both the action and the barrel, it does not appear as part of the serial number. The gun appears to be a very well made target rifle.

Thank you for your help. Take care, Tom

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
Re: Stevens single shot [Re: Tatume]
      #106418 - 01/06/08 12:14 AM

Sounds like a 44 1/2 or a 044 1/2.

Does the breach block swing slightly to the rear after it falls? If so, it is one of the above.

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

Charles
.275 member

Reged: 13/12/07
Loc: Texas
      #106420 - 01/06/08 02:53 AM

Could be a 44 also.

Glenn_Fewless
.300 member

Reged: 08/05/08
Loc: Wisconsin, USA
Re: Stevens single shot [Re: Charles]
      #106422 - 01/06/08 04:02 AM

Tatume:

From your discription I would guess that the rifle is either a 414 "Armory" model or a 417 Walnut Hill. Both are made on the 44 action. If the breech block slides up and down in a mortise (ala Winchester High Wall) the action is a 44-1/2. It the block swings down and forward, pivoting on a pin beneath the receiver ring it will be a 44 action. I know of no full lenght stocks built on the 44-1/2 action.

The 414 can be identified by a shallow milled slot about 1/2" wide on the left side of the action in which mounts an aperture sight.

The 417 is a high quality target rifle built to compete with the Winchester 52 class of rifle. One distinguishing feature is a self cocking hammer with a very heavy spring and a short hammer fall. Short as in it appears to be firing from the half cock notch. Most if not all 417s had a pistol grip stock.

Is it possible to post a picture of the rifle?

Glenn

m4220
.300 member

Reged: 04/02/07
Loc: wa
      #106424 - 01/06/08 04:43 AM

Is it possible it was a Winchester winder musket in 22?

m4220

Tatume
.400 member

Reged: 09/06/07
Loc: Gloucester, Va USA
Re: Stevens single shot [Re: m4220]
      #106519 - 02/06/08 09:51 PM

Quote:

From your description I would guess that the rifle is either a 414 "Armory" model or a 417 Walnut Hill. Both are made on the 44 action.

This was very helpful. Once I was aware of the model I was able to confirm that my friends rifle is indeed a 414 "Armory" model. Thank you, and thanks to everyone else who helped.

Now for the next question. Who can help me find a rear sight for the 414 "Armory" model? Gun Parts Corp. does not list this model, though they seem to have every other. Was the rear sight used on other models?

Glenn_Fewless
.300 member

Reged: 08/05/08
Loc: Wisconsin, USA
      #106535 - 03/06/08 03:39 AM

Mr. Tatume:

According to the 1920 Stevens catalog the sight is a model #42 and is available directly from the company for $3.50.

Your only hope is to find an original. There must be a lot of these sights out there somewhere, as I have seen a number of 414s and very few of them still sported the sight.

Glenn

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 33 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Huvius 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3099

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com