Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Schnitzel?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Miscellaneous Topics >> Recipes, food, wine & beverages

Pages: 1
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Schnitzel?
      #382950 - 28/02/24 11:14 PM

A poll and discussion about the Schnitzel.

Please comment and discuss.
Have you eaten Schnitzel before?
You may choose only one
Yes
No
How you heard about Schnitzel before?
You may choose only one
Yes
No
What meats is Schnitzel made with?
You may choose many
Chicken
Beef
Veal
Pork
Venison
Other

Votes accepted from (28/02/24 11:12 PM) to (No end specified)
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Schnitzel? [Re: NitroX]
      #382952 - 29/02/24 01:31 AM

My wife is of Prussian (Ostpreußische) descent and makes delicious German recipes passed down from the "Old Country". Schnitzel is not one of them for some reason. I asked her about it and she just says it was never something that never came down to her. I always thought of it as being a staple of sorts all over Germany so it seems curious. Maybe it wasn't?

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Schnitzel? [Re: 9.3x57]
      #382954 - 29/02/24 02:28 AM

Vienna in Austria, if Wiener Schnitzel is a correct term.

Also Cotoletta Milanese for Milano, Italy.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

9.3x57
.450 member

#382956 - 29/02/24 03:33 AM

Quote:

Vienna in Austria, if Wiener Schnitzel is a correct term.

Also Cotoletta Milanese for Milano, Italy.

Yeah, could be a more Southern German thing. My wife's grandfather's "old country" doesn't even exist anymore and it did have some more local customs, too.

BTW, one of my wife's grandmothers was a ethnic German but born in Russian Empire-controlled Lithuania and lived in three centuries...born in 1899, died in 2003. Grew up under the Czar!

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

FlatTop45
.300 member

Reged: 31/05/16
Loc: South Texas, U.S.A.
      #382966 - 29/02/24 12:28 PM

Here in South and Central Texas, many Texans are of Germanic and/or Hispanic descent, so traditional Schnitzel and Milanesa (the Spanish version) are still a fairly common dishes in certain households. However, we have also developed dishes that are similar to Schnitzel; the Southern American version called "Chicken Fried Steak" and the Tex-Mex version of Milanesa called, (what else), "Milanesa".

Now, just in case you've never heard of either of these dishes, "Chicken Fried Steak" is just what it sounds like; a tenderized and breaded beef steak that is fried in a skillet. It is served smothered in a brown or white gravy along with Southern-style green beans, mashed potatoes in gravy and either ice-cold beer or iced, sweet tea. "Milanesa" is basically the same thing, just Texicanized; a breaded and tenderized beef steak that is pan-fried. However, unlike Chicken Fried Steak, Tex Mex "Milanesa" is usually served without any gravy, (but my favorite version is served covered with a delicious, mushroom sauce. So good!) Our Milanesa is typically served with Spanish-style rice, either refried, pinto beans or borracho beans (pinto beans boiled in beer and spices), flour or corn tortillas and either Mexican beer or Iced Tea with lime.

Neither is exactly heart-healthy I know, but if you like, you can always substitute plant-based "meat" for the steak, coat it with unbleached, whole-wheat flour and bake it in a solar air-fryer. As for the side dishes, I guess you could soak quinoa in distilled water on a sunny window sill until it is al dente, eat the green beans raw and drink herbal tea served at room temperature.

If you are very creative, I'm sure you can figure out something similar for the Milanesa too...

Just don't do it anywhere near Texas!!!

J

Edited by FlatTop45 (29/02/24 12:45 PM)

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Schnitzel? [Re: FlatTop45]
      #382972 - 29/02/24 02:43 PM

Love breaded schnitzel. So YUMMY!
The cook in moose camp used to make schnitzel for me and her kids, when the "hunters" wear served the semi-raw moose tenderloin.
So much of it in the pans on the stove, it was slightly boiled in it's own juices, but raw in the center.

No thanks.
German lady, made wonderful schnitzel.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#382975 - 29/02/24 03:27 PM

Quote:

but if you like, you can always substitute plant-based "meat" for the steak, coat it with unbleached, whole-wheat flour and bake it in a solar air-fryer. As for the side dishes, I guess you could soak quinoa in distilled water on a sunny window sill until it is al dente, eat the green beans raw and drink herbal tea served at room temperature.

You're seriously looking to get banned.

"Chicken fried steak", very funny if it uses beef. A chicken fillet, breast, thigh, whatever, beaten a bit. Flour, egg, and breaded, makes a normal chicken schnitzel.

Making a Mexican or Spanish version of Schnitzel is easy, using appropriate spices and herbs in the bread and flour mixes. A tsau eccoukd be made for topping the Schnitzel using normal Mexican foods, salsas, etc.

An Italian version, accompanied with sauces from pasta dishes.

A schnitzel can be livened up with a variety of sauces and gravies. Mushroom sauce, tomato based, black pepper, cheese based. All sorts.

A schnitzel is great with chips, steamed potatoes, mashed potatoes, pastas. Or in a hamburger roll, Schnitzel , I use thick faccacia rolls, cheese, some greens,

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Schnitzel? [Re: DarylS]
      #382976 - 29/02/24 03:39 PM

Quote:

Love breaded schnitzel. So YUMMY!
The cook in moose camp used to make schnitzel for me and her kids, when the "hunters" wear served the semi-raw moose tenderloin.
So much of it in the pans on the stove, it was slightly boiled in it's own juices, but raw in the center.

No thanks.
German lady, made wonderful schnitzel.

The first dinner I cooked for my wife, the new girlfriend, was a wild fallow deer venison steak, beaten quite flat and thin, marinaded richly for a day, dried, dipped in flour, dipped in beaten egg, bread crumbs. Can be allowed to set in the fridge, Fried quickly, Must have been good.

I remember the marinade was very strong. I've misplaced the venison recipe pamphlet I had, I'm sure I could duplicate the marinade. Olive oil maybe, black pepper, garlic, red wine, onions, some herbs and spices.

For game meats, if gamey strong, a marinade can reduce the gamey flavours. Or the meat can be soaked in milk.

The marinade can be used to influence the flavour. One wants Italian style, use Italian herbs and spices, indian schnitzel. Indian herbs and spices, lightly curry or chilli's. Spanish, Mexican etc. The original German schnitzel is plain but very nice that way,

As previously said, the sauce or gravy can jazz a schnitzel up. A creamy mushroom sauce is fantastic.Pepper, tomato, pasta style sauces, cream, cheese, etc.

I made some yearling beef schnizels two nights ago. Topped with Portobello mushrooms fried in a wok, my own onion and garlic olive oil, with garlic butter. Served with simple steamed vegetables, potatoes etc.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#382977 - 29/02/24 03:49 PM

I was prompted to start this topic, as one of our past female members said she'd never heard of schnitzel before !!!

Then I was watching a US TV show " Condor", and a small child asked what is schnitzel? Admittedly he was very young. Acwoman told him " it is a way to cook chicken" ....

Original schnitzel was I believe pork, flattened, breaded, fried.

Veal or beef as well.

Most modern schnitzels seem to be chicken. Often hard to find shop schnitzels which are not chicken. A good local butchers has chicken, various flavourings or plain, plus beef and pork.

Turkey, duck, game meats, venison, buffalo, rabbit, can all be used for schnitzel.

Schnitzel is usually fried. I use olive oil, plus some butter. Butter browns it better.

But a schnitzel can also be cooked under the grill burner. It won't brown as well, will be dryer, but also healthier.

Schnitzels are traditional pub fare here, In my first office job, after university, if not at a client's,but in the office on Thursdays we all use to go to a rough bikie pub down the other end of the street, from juniors to partners. And have a $2 schnitzel and chips lunch, some veg on the plate as well. The pub was always full on the $2 lunch day. $2! A long time ago!

So I was wondering who hadn't ever heard of a schnizel. A good one is much better than a hamburger. In fact a breaded hamburger/chicken burger is excellent,

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Edited by NitroX (01/03/24 12:48 AM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#382983 - 29/02/24 09:27 PM

Ha, I'm remember having eland schnitzels in Zimbabwe in 1994.

But it turned out to be eland tongue. Live game capture was going on at the property while we were there. Several eland had been killed or shot. So we were served tongue, but not the eland venison.

My wife and the PH didn't eat anymore after we had it confirmed. I still ate another.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

9.3x57
.450 member

#382985 - 01/03/24 12:11 AM

Quote:

the Southern American version called "Chicken Fried Steak"

Yes!! All the diners here serve it. At home, too.

A Schnitzel by another name!

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#382987 - 01/03/24 12:51 AM

Yearling beef schnizels.

Disguised by mushrooms.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #382996 - 01/03/24 04:46 AM

Nice looking supper, the kind I like.
The only schnitzels I am familiar with, are pork.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

kuduae
.400 member

Reged: 13/01/10
Loc: middle of Germany
Re: Schnitzel? [Re: DarylS]
      #382997 - 01/03/24 04:59 AM

As a German I may tune in here. You are right, the Schnitzel was of Austrian origin. You still get the best there and in southern Germany. Cooking Schnitzel migrated north after WW2 predominantly and became a common German dish with many variations. He word “Schnitzel” means something like “snippet”. The basic recipe: Take a thin slice of meat, less than .4” thick. Spice with salt and pepper. Cover with wheat flour. Dip it in a beaten egg. Then in bread crumbs. Fry in a pan with a lot of hot fat, traditionally lard.
Wiener Schnitzel is traditionally served with a slice of lemon and potato salad, but now often with pmmes frites = chips = French fries. By law only a Schnitzel made of veal may be advertised as “Wiener Schnitzel”. Schnitzel made from other meat, pork, turkey or chicken, must be described as , fi, “Schweineschnitzel Wiener Art” = pork snippet Vienna style.
Variations, most often pork:
Jägerschnitzel = hunter style, covered with mushrooms and gravy.
Zigeunerschnitzel = gipsy style with chilies
Schnitzel a la Holstein is covered with a fried egg
And many more….

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: Schnitzel? [Re: kuduae]
      #382998 - 01/03/24 05:18 AM

Quote:

As a German I may tune in here. You are right, the Schnitzel was of Austrian origin. You still get the best there and in southern Germany. Cooking Schnitzel migrated north after WW2 predominantly and became a common German dish with many variations. He word “Schnitzel” means something like “snippet”. The basic recipe: Take a thin slice of meat, less than .4” thick. Spice with salt and pepper. Cover with wheat flour. Dip it in a beaten egg. Then in bread crumbs. Fry in a pan with a lot of hot fat, traditionally lard.
Wiener Schnitzel is traditionally served with a slice of lemon and potato salad, but now often with pmmes frites = chips = French fries. By law only a Schnitzel made of veal may be advertised as “Wiener Schnitzel”. Schnitzel made from other meat, pork, turkey or chicken, must be described as , fi, “Schweineschnitzel Wiener Art” = pork snippet Vienna style.
And many more….

Mouth watering as I type this....

That is really interesting history as my wife's people came here (before WW1, between the wars and then after WW2) as noted not from S. Germany or Austria and did not bring that dish with them.

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#383406 - 13/03/24 07:30 PM

Quote:

Quote:

And many more….

Mouth watering as I type this....

That is really interesting history as my wife's people came here (before WW1, between the wars and then after WW2) as noted not from S. Germany or Austria and did not bring that dish with them.

I dont believe the Schnitzel was a traditional food of my ancestors either. From Eastern Germany. Sauasages pork cooked hot of various sorts or cold such as fritz, mettwurst similar to salami, liver wurst etcT. Kassler, smoked hams of all sorts. Though schnitzels have been embraced wholeheartedly since. Schnitzels are favoured pub fare in pubs everywhere here.

Quote:

He word “Schnitzel” means something like “snippet”. The basic recipe: Take a thin slice of meat, less than .4” thick. Spice with salt and pepper. Cover with wheat flour. Dip it in a beaten egg. Then in bread crumbs. Fry in a pan with a lot of hot fat, traditionally lard.
And many more….

Those thin pieces of meat suitable for schnitzel are made by beating a fillet or cut of meat with a knobbed meat hammer.

Interesting, I thought the Veal as common for schnitzel came from a mistranslation of Vienna or Wiener Schnitzel. Wiener and Veal sounding similar to the English ear. And I thought Schnizel was traditionally pork. Here it is universally chicken like everything else. Good retailers and butchers may offer veal, beef, pork. And the chicken versions may have different flavourings.

Kuduae. thanks for your comments and insight.

So what would Germans call a schnitzel made from eland tongue?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

kuduae
.400 member

Reged: 13/01/10
Loc: middle of Germany
      #383420 - 14/03/24 04:01 AM

Quote:

So what would Germans call a schnitzel made from eland tongue?

May I suggest “Veldtschnitzel”?
Two more unusual “Schnitzel”:
From WW1 to the 1930s there was the now forgotten “Berliner Schnitzel”, a slice of cheap and available cow udder, breaded and fried like the other Schnitzels.
Known under this name in eastern Germany only: Due to the scarcity of fresh, lean meat in the GDR, a slice of Jagdwurst (a big boiled sausage, about 10 cm = 4” diameter) is breaded and fried like other Schnitzels. Was usually served with tomato ketchup and called a Jägerschnitzel as “Ersatz” for the unavailable real thing.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 445

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com