Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: What to eat and drink in South Africa

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Miscellaneous Topics >> Recipes, food, wine & beverages

Pages: 1
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
What to eat and drink in South Africa
      #371836 - 27/11/22 11:18 PM

What to eat and drink in South Africa

Nov 24, 2022

South Africa's culinary diversity reflects its multicultural society, ranging from pan-African cuisine to seafood and steaks in globally acclaimed restaurants, so eating is an excellent way to the heart of the Rainbow Nation.

The Cape was the birthplace of South African cuisine, but KwaZulu-Natal is important too: there were migrants from other African countries, British colonialist settlers, Indian indentured laborers, and Mauritians who planted exotic fruits and introduced spicy tomato sauces. Learning the cultural influences that abound in South African cuisine leads to exciting explorations of the country's many specialties.

1. Braai the beloved country

South Africa’s beloved braais are feasts of barbecued meat and vegetables, grilled over charcoal or wood. Gas would be sacrilege, as there’s a culture of camaraderie around the ritual of cooking curly boerewors (spiced beef sausage) and steaks over the coals, ideally accompanied by a braaibroodjie (toasted cheese, tomato, and onion sandwich).

Whether toasting the evening with a brandewyn en Coke or flipping chicken on a shisha nyama (township braai), most locals love cooking chops and mealies in a grid.

Where to try it: The best option is to hit a small-town slaghuis (butcher), pick up some Blitz firelighters, and braai at your campsite or farmstay. Casual "bush pubs" are good places to try a braai, as are steakhouses such as the Hussar Grill chain (try the flagship in Rondebosch, Cape Town), Stellenbosch’s the Fat Butcher, and Tauren Steak Ranch in Springbok.

2. Taste history in Cape Malay cuisine

Cape Malay cuisine encapsulates the local history, developed by the people of the same name – now more commonly called Cape Muslims – who arrived from southeast Asia when Cape Town was a Dutch East India Company maritime outpost.

They combined spices and recipes from their homelands with European influences, producing mild and aromatic curries, accompanied by saffron rice and tomato-and-onion sambal. For dessert, look no further than a koe’sister, the city’s coconut-sprinkled doughnut – not to be confused with the Afrikaners’ plaited, syrupy, and equally delicious koeksister.

Where to try it: Cultural tour companies such as Coffeebeans Routes and Cooking with Love offer Cape Malay cooking experiences in the Bo-Kaap Cape Muslim area. Fuzzy’s at South African food market Makers Landing serves the best koe’sisters in town.

3. Fill up on bunnies

Durban has the largest Indian population outside the subcontinent, dating back to the indentured workers who began arriving in 1860. KwaZulu-Natal province’s biggest city mixes a strong Indian flavor with its Zulu and British influences, and its filling contribution to Indian cuisine is the bunny chow – a hollowed half-loaf of white bread, filled with curry.

Where to try it: Make it yourself or head to a Durban curry house, such as Glenwood’s CaneCutters or Goundens.

4. Stock up on padkos

No South African road trip is complete without a stash of padkos (road food) from local farms and producers, such as biltong (dried, spiced meat), droëwors (dried boerewors), crunchies (oat-based biscuits) and dried peaches.

Where to try it: At roadside padstals (farm stalls) nationwide, such as Peregrine Farm Stall on the N2, which you’ll pass traveling to and from Cape Town.

5. Say cheers to Cape wine

Although South African craft beer and fynbos-flavored gin are booming, Cape wine remains the country’s best-known tipple. The Dutch started bottling grapes in the 1650s, Cape Town’s Constantia area is the oldest wine region outside Europe and Napoleon quaffed sweet Constantia wine on his deathbed.

Today, several hundred wineries in the mountainous Cape Winelands around Stellenbosch and Franschhoek offer tastings of elegant reds, refreshing whites, and sparkling Méthode Cap Classique (MCC) wines.

Where to try it: Join a day tour or board the Franschhoek Wine Tram to take in a few wine farms, with lunch en route. Coffeebeans Routes has an itinerary focusing on black winemakers, while Wine Flies Tours offers fun excursions. Unpacking a gourmet picnic hamper on a Stellenbosch wine estate, such as Warwick or Spier, is a beloved local activity too.

6. Try African cuisine

African food is as varied as the Zulus, the Xhosas, and the country’s other ethnic groups, but mealie pap (maize porridge) is a staple. It can accompany a chop and boerewors or make an energizing breakfast when mixed with milk and sugar. Another popular base for stews is samp (dried and crushed maize kernels) and beans, while spicy chakalaka is a must-try braai relish.

Where to try it: Bites and Sites and JoburgPlaces run culinary walking tours of Stellenbosch’s Kayamandi township and Johannesburg respectively, while Lebo’s Soweto Backpackers offers a potjie (slow-cooked pot stew) experience.

7. Enjoy gourmet food

Thriving on South Africa’s culinary melting pot and fertile Mediterranean and subtropical climates, homegrown and international chefs have turned spots such as Cape Town, Franschhoek, and Johannesburg into world-class fine-dining destinations.

Where to try it: If you can’t make it to Klein JAN, celeb chef Jan Hendrik van der Westhuizen’s outpost at the exclusive Tswalu reserve in the deepest Kalahari, book ahead for Luke Dale Roberts’ Johannesburg and Cape Town restaurants, or Chefs Warehouse in Cape Town or Franschhoek.

8. Finish with a pud

Cape Malay and Afrikaans cookbooks include delectable sweets such as malva (sticky sponge pudding) and melktert (cinnamon-sprinkled custard-like tart). They’re also adept at mixing sweet and savory, including must-try bobotie (curried mince with raisins, beneath a dairy crust) and snoek glazed with apricot jam.

Where to try it: Restaurants, bakeries, farm stalls, and food markets, such as Neighbourgoods in Johannesburg and Cape Town.

https://www.lonelyplanet.com/articles/what-to-eat-and-drink-in-south-africa

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: What to eat and drink in South Africa [Re: NitroX]
      #371854 - 28/11/22 10:41 PM

Interesting combinations!

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: What to eat and drink in South Africa [Re: 93x64mm]
      #371857 - 29/11/22 12:57 AM

I've made my own boerevors. I've made Cape Malay curries. Other Cape Malay dishes I've had biltong. Not made it yet. I bought a little plastic box maker with globe for heat and a ventilation fan to make biltong in. Might give it a try soon.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Kabalas
.224 member

Reged: 04/06/22
Loc: Alberta, Canada
Re: What to eat and drink in South Africa [Re: NitroX]
      #371871 - 30/11/22 03:16 PM

Vetkoek…must have

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1061

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com