Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Some pics from Carrara Vineyards

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Miscellaneous Topics >> Recipes, food, wine & beverages

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Some pics from Carrara Vineyards
      #1391 - 02/02/03 12:59 AM

You asked for them ....

Some pics from Carrara Vineyards in the Barossa Valley, South Australia.

More to come ...

Follow this link

Carrara Vineyards photos

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
cchunter
.375 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Kinna, Sweden
Re: Some pics from Carrara Vineyards [Re: NitroX]
      #1394 - 02/02/03 03:05 AM

Thanks for sharing John, that place looks like paradise compared to my place just now.

--------------------

Christer Hansson

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

More pics from Carrara Vineyards [Re: cchunter]
      #1437 - 04/02/03 06:03 PM

Some more pics added

More Carrara Vineyard photos

Christer

We can swap one year. You can have a 30 deg C plus Christmas (or 40+ C ) and I can have a "white Christmas".

Never seen any decent snow yet. When I lived in the UK had lots of drizzle and light rain but no decent snow falls. A couple of light snow falls were fun though.

Have camped in the snow though. In the Victorian Alps on a stony ridgeline with a snow field below - actually more ice than snow - while hunting Sambar deer. Cold!

--------------------
John aka NitroX

cchunter
.375 member

Loc: Kinna, Sweden
Re: More pics from Carrara Vineyards [Re: NitroX]
      #1438 - 04/02/03 07:06 PM

John

It's a deal, I would love to swap. We have about 40 centimeters coming yesterday and there are caos everywhere. Now its has been quit wet this night so it is a 25-30 cm cover today. I will try to take a video today and then upload it for you to see.

--------------------

Christer Hansson

SafariHunt
.333 member

Reged: 02/01/03
Loc: Pretoria RSA
      #1456 - 05/02/03 02:51 AM

Ok when can we come over for some wine tasting and fun ?

--------------------
"Sleeping under the African sky I can see nothing wrong with this world!"

gryphon
.450 member

Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Re: Some pics from Carrara Vineyards [Re: SafariHunt]
      #1465 - 05/02/03 10:55 AM

what varieties you have nitro? i myself love that good old hybrid variety that is cab sav and for some funny reason i havent got into or cant get into shiraz,french sauturnes i reckon are tops,with most of the botrytis affected semillons as well

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

SteveMalinverni
.224 member

Reged: 02/07/03
      #4330 - 07/10/03 02:47 AM

Carrara? Vineyards? Hmmmmm there is something of familiar in these words, something that it taste as Italian.
More exactly Tuscanian. Carrara is famous, very famous for the marble, used for a lot of monuments, but is important also because with it are produced basins necessary to mature the lard of Colonnata. My mouth is beginning to watering, because dinner time is coming and because it is a ancient and traditional preparation used to save lard for long periods. Difficult to explain, better if you taste it
bye

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Some pics from Carrara Vineyards [Re: SteveMalinverni]
      #4358 - 09/10/03 04:22 AM

Steve

Yes it are very right. But my vineyards are named after a nearby hill, Carrara Hill, which was itself named after the famous town and area in Tuscany. A stone quarry on the hill was probably the connection in the name.

I was lucky to visit Carrara last year and also Colonnata. Colonnata was just by chance as it was the easiest town to get to by bus from Carrara. We were staying in the Cinque Terre in Liguria but had to visit Carrara and the marble quarries as we were so close. After several train connections, some walking and a couple of buses we made it into the mountains. Getting back was left to chance and by luck we managed to catch one of the last public buses. Didn't really want to walk down the mountain to Carrara even thoough it was downhill all the way

The stone quarries really do look like snowy peaks from the distance and the huge white marble blocks at the train yards are impressive.

If I lived in Europe (or again) I would definitely have bought some of the large and impressive marble carvings in the local shops. I was lucky as I was looking for a particular theme and if I found it would have bought and then had the trouble of dealing with getting it back to Aus. So I just bought some small pieces instead.

Talking about Lard and Colonnata. Perhaps you can reveal to me about the attraction. Walking through Colonnata I started to notice the number of "larderiums" and actually joked about them and started to take photos of them - ie for a photo album "here is a larderium", "here is another ..... and another ... and another". In fact Ithink there was five or seven in the town square alone. I said to Christine "I think we are missing something here, this seems to be a pilgrims mecca for lard !" We had heard of nothing like this before but from the town there was obviously something famous about it.

So I would be interested if you could reveal more on the ancient method of preparing lard as you mention. Perhaps a secret Italian cooking method. What makes it so good?

Is there any connection between the word Colonnata and "Colonary" ?

The mountains of the region looked very interesting in a wild way. And from the guidebooks sounded quite untouristy still.

PS I was also pleased to see NO vineyards in the Carrara area. My previous research also showed no evidence of wine designations with the name Carrara. As I didn't want to have to change a wine label one day due to GIC regulations. I think this is true ?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Some pics from Carrara Vineyards [Re: gryphon]
      #4359 - 09/10/03 04:43 AM

Sorry gryphon. I missed your post and only just noticed your question.

Varieties we produce are:

Shiraz; Cabernet Sauvignon, Grenache, Semillon, Riesling; and Chenin Blanc.

Some of the 'chenin blanc' may actually be madeira or abillo, as we are not 100% sure of that old vineyard which dates back to 1930 and are now quite old and still bear relatively well most years. These grapes are excellent for white fortifieds and I hope to make something like that out of them. Currently they are made into a dry white blend and previously used as a "champagne" or white sparkling base.

Some of the grenache also dates to 1930 with the rest from 1960. The shiraz date from 1960, 1973, 1980's and the most recent planted only two and three years ago. The riesling is also from the 1970's and is very good considering it is planted on the valley floor. As you would know Eden Valley nearby makes the best rieslings in Australia (along with Clare).

This property has been owned by us since 1888 and the first vines were planted in the 1890's but no longer exist.

Even though the Barossa is of course "New World" it has the oldest vineyards in the world as phyloxera never entered Australia, but decimated the old vineyards of Europe, South Africa and North America, along with the Eastern States of Australia. I believe the oldest vineyards are at Turkey Flat near Tanunda and are in excess of 130 years old being planted in the 1870's.

Maybe someone could dispute this claim to the oldest vineyards ???? If so please do.

French still sauternes are not very successful here as it is not coldl enough early enough. I beileve some are successfully sourced from the Adelaide Hills in SA and obviously Victoria and Tasmania.

I wonder if Italian style "holy" or communion wines could be made though using their methods. These are very sweet white wines and are dried in attics of wineries. I tried some very nice ones near Montione in Tuscany. Very unlike the usual communion wines of Australia which are Tawny fortifieds ("Ports").

I would like to plant some Italian varieties, perhaps Sangiovese and more likely Nebbiolo. But only in a small way. These are usually lighter wines than the big bodied Aussie shiraz and cabernets but can be very nicely balanced. I tired perhaps a couple of hundred while in Italy

Mate, what's with you and Shiraz ? You need to drink more to appreciate them I think.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

gryphon
.450 member

Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
      #4363 - 09/10/03 05:31 AM

Ah shiraz,well mate i dont think it can get any where near the complexity of that true royal red cab sav...all a matter of preferences mate,i have tried heaps (and some of those good ones from Heathcote) but i havent found one that "rocks" me mate.

You know cabernet franc x sauvignion blanc is to me the greatest grape hybrid ever invented thus becoming cab sav,bet a lot of you wine buff`s didnt know that about the hybrid eh?
Get a bit of botrytis into those semillon`s mate and i will be over for some for sure.
Hey John thanks for info re: the book,sorry but my mail server is down,hence no reply to your mail.Do you remember that number seven i sent you? well i now have num 8 if you are interested>

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

SteveMalinverni
.224 member

Reged: 02/07/03
      #4656 - 30/10/03 04:56 AM

Nitrox, I get back here after a 20 days, and looking around here I find that this topic was still active and I read your answer.
Lard is produced in marble basins with old recipes, and I don't know which is the secret, the air, the loving care and attentions in the production, but lard by Colonnata is special. It has the DOP mark that protect this product from any attempt to imitate it.
It is often described also in television, during programs for gourmet, seldom in competition with lard of Arnad, produced in Aosta Valley.
About wine don't worry, I don't remember a famous wine brand int that area.
bye.

Crazyquik
.275 member

Reged: 21/12/03
Re: Some pics from Carrara Vineyards [Re: SteveMalinverni]
      #7717 - 29/01/04 11:50 AM

What wineries use your product? Know if any of them are imported to the US (Aussie wines are growing in popularity here, I'm drinking a product of the Barossa Valley right now).

Edited by Crazyquik (29/01/04 12:01 PM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Some pics from Carrara Vineyards [Re: Crazyquik]
      #7730 - 29/01/04 02:13 PM

The grapes are sold to Southcorp Wines who has labels such as Penfolds, Lindemanns, Rosemount etc. I'm sure you have seen some of these. Of course they are a very large national wine group so have a large number of suppliers. We are just a speck in their supplies.

Also St Hallett, which is a Barossa brand, once Barossa owned, which also sells in the USA.

Each year I give thought to trying to loose some money making our own wines. If I do the members on this board will certainly hear of it with special NE.com members discounts .

I'm interested what Barossa wine and what variety are you drinking?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Crazyquik
.275 member

#7738 - 29/01/04 03:16 PM

Mossy Oak camoflague has thier name on some bottles of wine in the US now. Made for drinking with game of course. I haven't tried them yet. Turkey, Trout, Waterfowl, and Venison. All blended wines. http://www.hunting-fishing-gear.com/article-display/19.html Maybe just hype and marketing though you know?

Right now I'm drinking some Black Swan Shiraz. First bottle of Australian red wine I've ever bought. Its very drinkable with soft tannens and went well with the meal I had for supper. Price is right too.

Edited by Crazyquik (29/01/04 03:27 PM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#7749 - 29/01/04 04:30 PM

Interesting concept for "MossyOak" to have their own wine label. Methinks it is brand marketing gone mad

From he website it looks like Californian wine blends not Australian though.

The winery St Hallett which I earlier mentioned has a couple of blends named "Poachers Blend" (a white) and "Gamekeepers Reserve" (a red). I worked for this winery for about eight years.

I don't know the "Black Swan" label. I would assume this is a US export label. The Black Swan is the emblem of Western Australia, perhaps the wine is from WA? or just a marketing brand image.

Glad you are drinking Shiraz though. That's what I like to hear!

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Crazyquik
.275 member

#7770 - 30/01/04 02:44 AM

Yes the Mossy Oak is definently a California blended, sorry if I made it sound otherwise.

Seems as if the Black Swan is just a marketing image. The front label clearly states South Eastern Australia, and on the back it goes to say that the black swan is a captivating creature that symbolizes the "beauty of our vineyards and bold elegance of our wines".

"Vinted and Bottled by Barossa Valley Wine Company PTY, LTD, Adelaide, South Australia."

Shiraz is growing in popularity a lot in the US (according to people who "know"). That and Pinot Grigio are making inroads against the popularity of Merlot and Chardonnay (the most popular red and white).

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#7807 - 30/01/04 10:29 AM

My wife mentioned that she does think "Black Swan" is a Western Australia label. It sound sto me like an "export" label.

The wine however may come from anywhere. A lot of Eastern and Western State wineries like to buy the superior Barossa reds ( ) and use them in their red wine labels.

"South Eastern Australia" refers to South Australia, Victoria and New South Wales and means 85% of wine in the bottle came from that area. This means the wine in the bottle could come from more than a dozen different regions ge Riverland (SA), Barossa (SA), Clare(SA), Hunter Valley (NSW), Murrimbigee etc

I apreciate your comments on "Mossy Oak".

I find it very interesting the difference in marketing between the USA and Australia. If we tried to market something like "Mossy Oak" in Australia it would be a dismal failure (IMO). But I guess the USA with a population of 300 million and millions of hunters and shooters, a sizable niche market exists. And it might be good entry wines for new wine consumers.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

ChuckWagon
.275 member

Reged: 09/02/04
Loc: USA
      #8548 - 09/02/04 12:07 PM

Greetings John ! I just thought I would come over to your place and say hey mate ! I was just wondering, as I am a bit of a tractor freak what kind of machines you are running. They look like case IH ? Dave

--------------------
Life is more like a jar of Jalapeno's than a box of chocolates. What you do today might burn your butt tomorrow !

475Guy
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/03
Loc: Kali, US
      #9214 - 17/02/04 06:41 AM

Nitro, looking at the pics on the grape farm that you're at, it reminds a lot of the grape region in California, specifically Napa and Sonoma. If you ever get a chance to visit the big boys there, I bet there's a lot that's similar with their stuff and yours. I used to do a wee bit of wine tasting here and there. I'm sure you wine growers in Oz could come up with a good excuse to visit the Napa Valley for a Worldwide Wine Growers Conference in the Differences in Wine. Howzzat? You could come up with a better title maybe and write it off on your taxes for necessary expenses for the further knowledge of the growing and processing of grapes for wine consumption in today's market.

--------------------
Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place among
them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Some pics from Carrara Vineyards [Re: ChuckWagon]
      #9767 - 22/02/04 12:44 AM

The red tractor is a Case CX80.

I was hoping to take some photos of our other "quality" machinery but so far haven't got to it.

Getting ready for vintage you see.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Some pics from Carrara Vineyards [Re: 475Guy]
      #9768 - 22/02/04 12:54 AM

475Guy

I will visit the Napa and other Californian areas one day. As long as some hunting can be organised as well - on the side.

A couple of years ago my wife and I visited Tuscany (plus Rome, Liguria, and also Southern Moravia in Czech (another wine area)) on a private research tour into Italian wine styles, tried probably close to a hundred sangioveses, plus barolos, visited friends whom own a winery there etc.

A very pleasant and interesting plus useful trip.

The winery my wife works for has an association with the largest Californian wine producer.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

ThomasEdwards
.300 member

Reged: 04/01/04
Loc: Newport Beach, CA
      #9780 - 22/02/04 05:13 AM

nitrox,

...if you visit napa, do drive down the cali coast some (monterey, carmel, big sur, etc.), then head inland to the paso robles area, where you can visit with california rigbys, and do some boar and upland hunting with any number of the operators in the area...check with sci for recommendations...

...by the way, are type of gun - rifle, smooth bore, black powder - are holding in your picture?...

ChuckWagon
.275 member

#9840 - 22/02/04 11:58 PM

Nitrox, If you get a chance go to www.jpan.com Go to the grey bar at the top and click photo's. Look up the user Misenplace and you will be able to see my tractor, wildlife foodplots, Deer camp fun buggy and elevated blinds. My tractor and equipment is strictly for "play" at deer camp on food plots and moving wood etc. I guess I have a bit of farmer in me as I really love to play on my tractor This will be the second year in a row I have not been able to travel and hunt. Last year I picked up another 80 acres and this year I have laid out a bundle to build a barn/temporary living quarters. If I really scmoooz the CFO I will get a couple of new rifles this year and hunt one of those buff's in Nebraska with Ray this winter.

--------------------
Life is more like a jar of Jalapeno's than a box of chocolates. What you do today might burn your butt tomorrow !

ChuckWagon
.275 member

#9841 - 23/02/04 12:01 AM

I do not know why the link does not work. If you type it in manually the address is correct.

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#35365 - 02/08/05 11:31 PM

Some Autumn Photos

"Highways of the gods"

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#35366 - 02/08/05 11:32 PM

Some Winter Pics

"A Pot of Gold" - actually two rainbows ending less than fifty metres away

Chilly

At last it is green and the creek is arising

Ah, where are those ducks?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
      #35374 - 03/08/05 03:42 AM

NitroX,

Nice looking place and GSP.

I just spent the weekend (Sat + morning of Sun) pruning grape vines
by hand for my hunting club.

I would hate to think what everyone did before mechanical
pruning machines cut off the majority of the vines.

500 Nitro

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Some pics from Carrara Vineyards [Re: 500Nitro]
      #35408 - 03/08/05 01:08 PM

In reply to:

............. pruning grape vines by hand for my hunting club.

I would hate to think what everyone did before mechanical pruning machines cut off the majority of the vines.

What do you mean "what everyone did before"?

It is still often done by hand.

A hedger on spur pruned vines will lessen the work a little. Still needs manual pruning to clean up though.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

500Nitro
.450 member

#35415 - 03/08/05 04:00 PM

NitroX,

You obviouly do all of it by hand.

All we did was cut any vines left pointing down and any around the posts
and that was bad enough !!!

What I meant was - if ALL the vines had to be cut back by hand
then it would be an even worse job.

I understand from your comment that some vineyards still do
it all by hand.

You can have it as a job.

500 Nitro

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Some pics from Carrara Vineyards [Re: 500Nitro]
      #87104 - 14/10/07 12:44 PM

Some pics for you flower lovers ...

"Salvation Jane" also known as "Patterson's Curse" growing in the mid-rows of a vineyard.

Known as "Salvation Jane" as it is a stock feed weed which sheep and cattle will eat and it will grow with minimum moisture and is often the only feed available in a drought.

Otherwise known as "Patterson's Curse" as it is a weed and there is better stock fodder and it can infest paddocks and compete with better grasses.

It also when mature irritates bare skin if brushed against, but not badly.

Mowing it down as a flatter surface in the vineyard increases air flow and reduces frost risk on cold Spring nights.

Also mowing down in preparation for spraying with a herbicide to conserve moisture for the vines.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

500Nitro
.450 member

#87107 - 14/10/07 01:20 PM

John

Nice place.

Thanks for posting.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#87108 - 14/10/07 01:21 PM

PS Makes it easier to see the rabbits and hares to shoot in the wine rows as well.

A couple nice juicy medium sized rabbits shot for the pot while slashing the "Jane" weeds too.

Another photo:

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Edited by NitroX (14/10/07 03:16 PM)

peter
removed

Reged: 11/04/07
Loc: denmark
      #87112 - 14/10/07 05:27 PM

one heck of a nice place john.

peter

AspenHill
Sponsor

Reged: 08/01/03
Loc: Vermont, USA
Re: Some pics from Carrara Vineyards [Re: peter]
      #87159 - 15/10/07 11:03 AM

John,

How many vines total and how many varieties?

--------------------
~Ann

Everyday spent outdoors is the best day of my life.

Aspen Hill Adventures

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Some pics from Carrara Vineyards [Re: AspenHill]
      #87177 - 15/10/07 06:15 PM

Ann

I have never counted them all! Could get out an estimation matrix (using row widths, distance between vines to calculate number per hectare).

Varieties are shiraz, cabernet sauvignon, grenache - reds. Semillon, riesling and chenin blanc - whites.

The vines in the photos with the "Salvation Jane" are shiraz vines about eight years old and are showing the first Spring growth after winter.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

AspenHill
Sponsor

#87197 - 16/10/07 12:08 AM

How many years old must a vine be before it produces a good crop?

--------------------
~Ann

Aspen Hill Adventures

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#87314 - 17/10/07 09:45 PM

Anne

3 years before first crop which is minor.
4 years to first decent yield.
Maybe 6 to 7 years before more maturity in the crop is experienced. However that is variable and depends on conditions, location, variety etc

And for true "old vine" characteristics might start from 20 to 30 years to over a hundred years. There are vines more than a 150 years old in the Barossa.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

peter
removed

Reged: 11/04/07
Loc: denmark
      #87323 - 18/10/07 02:23 AM

john i really like what i see, could i convince you to post a few more of your place. it makes the go to aus itch just a bit sweeter.

peter

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Some pics from Carrara Vineyards [Re: peter]
      #87432 - 19/10/07 09:07 PM

Because shooters are such flower "lovers" I thought I'd post these.

One day I was in my house and noticed cars kept stopping on the road in front of the property, over a dozen or more in two hours. So I decided to check out what all these people were up to and found our row of cacti on the front fence were flowering. Supposedly it only happens a day or two each year. The ladies network must have been phoning around to have that many people stop.

These photos remind me of images from the movie "The Day of the Triffids".

--------------------
John aka NitroX

AspenHill
Sponsor

#87438 - 19/10/07 11:41 PM

They look like a type of cerus cactus. I have a lagre potted cactus collection. None can survive the Vermont winter so they come indoors. It's nearly time to bring them in as our cold weather approaches.

--------------------
~Ann

Aspen Hill Adventures

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#87463 - 20/10/07 11:31 AM

Cactus grow pretty well here. And unfortunately they are going to grow even better seeing how our weather patterns are changing. I have all sorts of trees starting to die from the very dry weather we have had over the last couple of years.

A large Jacarandah lost all its leaves so I let bore water soak down to try to revive it. About a dozen other trees are also at risk or dead already.

We have water restrictions on garden use for using mains water but I can use bore water if needed. I do need that for agricultural use though as I may run short before next year's "rains" (?) .

--------------------
John aka NitroX

AspenHill
Sponsor

#87605 - 22/10/07 08:28 PM

John,

Is it just the non native trees and plants that are suffering? I assume Jacaranda are non native.

--------------------
~Ann

Aspen Hill Adventures

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#92828 - 28/12/07 03:49 PM

Quote:

John,

Is it just the non native trees and plants that are suffering? I assume Jacaranda are non native.

Ann

Sorry not to answer earlier.

Local native trees and flora are much better acclimatised to droughts in the region.

Early settlers were confused by native forests thinking the soil must be fertile if a forest could grow. But gums can grow in poor soil so clearing them did not always yield good farming soil.

We have a band of very old and tall gum trees running along the North Para River which bisects the property. The tallest of these trees might be 120 feet or more (guesstimate). These trees probably reach roots down to subterranean streams.

Jacarandahs are not native to Southern South Aust and do better in Coastal areas of Queensland, NSW, parts of Vic and parts of South Australia. The Barossa Valley is inland and has winter frosts. Jacarandahs do not do well with near zero temperatures in winter and when young need to be sheltered.

A claret ash tree has died as has a wattle of some sort which has a couple of branches left alive. Also a large pine tree on the headland of a vineyard has died. The pine tree would be an introduced pine not a native one. Most of our native pines have died out a long time ago, being shorter lived. Need to replant some if I can get them to grow.

Probably time to take some Summer photos of the property again.

On the BIG plus side, we had 30 mms of rain plus some extra, the weekend before Christmas which was excellent for the vines and other trees. The weeds will be growing again though! This will have refreshed a lot of the vines as good rain is always better than irrigation. Today is 38 deg C however and it will be very hot for next week.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Nakihunter
.375 member

Reged: 13/10/07
Loc: New Zealand
      #92832 - 28/12/07 05:02 PM

Reminds me of my Tea Planting days in Upper Assam with some of the best teas in the world. We pruned by hand too. I still have the old hook shaped "young tea" pruning knife we use to form the "frame". We removed the branches that grew sideways to encourage leaf growth on the upward growing branches. I presume you leave those on & remove the upward growing branches!?

Great stuff John.

--------------------
Always shoot through the target & not just at it.

ArnoldB
.300 member

Reged: 23/07/04
Loc: Uk
Re: Some pics from Carrara Vineyards [Re: Nakihunter]
      #92849 - 29/12/07 12:15 AM

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5YMX031weVw
you probably heard of this fella already.

MarinePMI
.275 member

Reged: 21/04/08
Loc: San Diego, CA USA
Re: Some pics from Carrara Vineyards [Re: ArnoldB]
      #139597 - 27/07/09 12:38 AM

John,

Any thoughts on "Pirathon, by Kalleske" wines? I had a bottle fo Shiraz last night from this vineyard and noticed "Barossa Valley" on the bottle, which immediately brought you to mind.

As far as Shiraz's go, I though it was...okay...but I'm no wine expert. Just thought I'd ask, as my friedns (who gave my wife and I the bottle) said it "wasn't much, but it's decent"...

Thoughts?

--------------------
MarinePMI

kamilaroi
.400 member

Reged: 18/12/04
Loc: sydney, new south wales, Austr...
Re: Some pics from Carrara Vineyards [Re: MarinePMI]
      #139621 - 27/07/09 08:31 AM

Perhaps pirathion (laughing).

Seriously though they may have bought the grapes elsewhere. John would know though.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#139646 - 27/07/09 03:47 PM

Quote:

Any thoughts on "Pirathon, by Kalleske" wines? I had a bottle fo Shiraz last night from this vineyard and noticed "Barossa Valley" on the bottle, which immediately brought you to mind.

As far as Shiraz's go, I though it was...okay...but I'm no wine expert. Just thought I'd ask, as my friedns (who gave my wife and I the bottle) said it "wasn't much, but it's decent"...

Thoughts?

Never tried any of Troy Kalleske's wines so no idea. He has a reasonable reputation as a boutique winemaker.

http://www.kalleske.com/content/view/14/28/

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#177049 - 13/03/11 03:50 AM

Some Spring photos from last year - September 2010.

GSP Blitzen on an inspection tour. Roos, foxes, hares and rabbits might be found lurking ...

Spring buds starting to burst from the spurs.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#177064 - 13/03/11 02:58 PM

Some old vines, up to 90 years old.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#177081 - 13/03/11 11:35 PM

Some nice little violet flowers that grower in the grasses.

A 40 to 50 year old vine, chip budded from Shiraz to Semillon in the early 1980's

Skippy in a nearby hay crop.

We have a wide variety of wildlife on the property, some nomadic. Wild ducks in the creek when flowing, mountain ducks, wood ducks, black duck, grey teal. Native game such as the Eastern Grey Kangaroo, once an Emu, echidnas, brown and red bellied black snakes. Very poisonous! Small lizards, stumpy tailed, blue tongue, and various others. Introduced game such as foxes, hares and rabbits. Pigeons! Native Crested Pigeons, we call Top Knots. Native birds such as galahs, I shoot these over the crops. Rosellas, small green parrots, willy wag tails, kookaburras, sulphur crested cockatoos. Hawks and the occasional wedge tail eagle. Froggy mouth owls, and other owl species.

I hope to bring photo and video footage of many of these species over time. Got to carry a camera around more!

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#177086 - 14/03/11 02:15 AM

Female Black Duck and ducklings

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#178510 - 07/04/11 08:09 PM

Yay! Vintage is over for me for another year. Delivered the last two truckloads of grapes this evening. A hectic vintage this one has been.

Now I can do other things again, maybe even look for some deer, ducks, quail, rabbits and foxes!

Actually saw a quail fly off one night this week on the headland of a vineyard. Haven't seen them on my property for decades. Maybe look for them nearby in better places, they might be there this year.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#218971 - 04/11/12 02:08 AM

The "big game" of my vineyards - the European Hare, Lepus europaeus. A fine game animal and fun to hunt and tasty to eat. OK there are grey kangaroos as well but I don't shoot them.

A shy animal, nesting above ground, they are fun to watch "boxing" in Spring, believed to be females hitting the males when they are not ready to mate or testing his determination.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Sville
.400 member

Reged: 23/03/10
Loc: Sweden
      #218988 - 04/11/12 04:29 AM

Hares are great animals, the problem we have with the european hare is that it pushes our swedish hare away. The european hare is bigger than the swedish one.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Some pics from Carrara Vineyards [Re: Sville]
      #219029 - 05/11/12 12:37 AM

Staffan,

we don't have that problem, all hare being introduced.

Here is something else I saw amongst the vines a day or two ago.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

aromakr
.375 member

Reged: 20/04/11
Loc: Hamilton, Montana
      #219573 - 14/11/12 06:38 AM

John:
That could be the lable on a bottle or "Yellow Tail" almost!
Bob

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Some pics from Carrara Vineyards [Re: aromakr]
      #219601 - 14/11/12 11:49 PM

I'll excuse you that comment. These grapes would never end up in a bottle of "yellowtail".

We usually have one to three roos camping in the vineyards somewhere. Only one recently though, the others someone must have molested. Not by me though.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#341380 - 25/05/20 07:48 PM

Quote:

John,

Thoughts?

Funny I ended up selling to Pirathon last year. And Kalleske this year. Pirathon was orginally a Kalleske brand, but sold off later. Kalleske still managed it for the Chinese Sydney based owned until 2019.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#341381 - 25/05/20 07:49 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Thoughts?

Never tried any of Troy Kalleske's wines so no idea. He has a reasonable reputation as a boutique winemaker.

http://www.kalleske.com/content/view/14/28/

And sold to Kalleske last year and again this year. Intending to do so next year as well. Kalleske's are very nice decent people and good to deal with. Great wines as well.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Some pics from Carrara Vineyards [Re: kamilaroi]
      #341382 - 25/05/20 07:50 PM

Quote:

Perhaps pirathion (laughing).

Seriously though they may have bought the grapes elsewhere. John would know though.

I'm glad this "Kameltoe" idiot is gone.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#341384 - 25/05/20 08:02 PM

Tagged: Carrara

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#358048 - 11/11/21 11:35 PM

https://content.api.news/v3/images/bin/e5e21a7498bb1380b81c1bd956f86de4

Rain, Rain, Rain! Yippee! Four days of rain forecast, from 20 mm to 60 mm. So far it has been gentle showers. Much needed drink for the vines, trees, plants.

Busy mowing down grasses this week, well and truly beyond time. A slightly wetter winter means I have Spring grasses as high as from my waist to neck high!

Colonel William Light an explorer and surveyor before settlement of the colony of South Australia remarked of this very locale, within a kilometre, that he was riding on his horse and over waist high in grass. It still can happen. Just need some moisture at the right times, and right amount, with no human interference. The Aboriginals used to burn off grasses in this area to reduce mosquitoes and encourage new grass for game and subsistence hunting. A nomadic hunting existence, they lived in these somewhat cooler region in Summer and the warmer Murray plains in Winter.

I DONT want heavy torrential rains, three or four inches of sudden rain, is an out of control flood. Steady good softer rains fill up the dams, creeks and rivers, and flow steadily. Never seen a breaking of a drought where there wasn't a massive flood! Six or so years ago, the last good wet year and had a damaging flood. In 1983 we had six inches in a few years and a huge flood, two years of cleaning it up. I stayed home to work with Dad for two years before starting University to help with the clean up. Don't need it again!

I do want cattle and meat sheep again. All this methane bs I am still going to eat beef and not pay $100 a kg for it when they tax beef with climate change taxes. Got a new property to stock as well. A bush block. Yippee. My dogs love it.

The grasses at least will hold the soils well if there is a flood. And flatten them. The biggest problem is debris. I even have thick green grasses in the river/creek beds. No sheep for a few years and no cattle for two decades. Rains a month or so ago enough to get the river/creek flowing, first time for six years, but only for a day, allowed this grass to grow. Should hold the river bed well.

Cutting down the tall grasses the moisture will allow lovely fresh green grasses to grow. The resident roos, rabbits and other critters will love it. And then more mowing! I seriously need an undervine mower now.

Cold days this week. About 10 deg C, which is Winter weather here. A few degrees less at night. And no frosts currently, all that moisture in the air and cloud cover means no frosts. Already have my frost damage from early Spring alas.

As one movie said, a movie paralleling our political times "V for Vendetta", :

"God is in the Rain".

--------------------
John aka NitroX

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #358062 - 12/11/21 05:38 AM

Ahh yeah - heading into summer, you are. Wish the temp here was 10C. It is still above 0 during the day, though. Nice when the sun shines.
Very interesting read, John.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 22517

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com