Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Anyone use lifestraw products?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Miscellaneous Topics >> Sporting equipment

Pages: 1
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Anyone use lifestraw products?
      #375270 - 18/03/23 06:10 PM

https://lifestraw.jadavey.com.au/product-category/lifestraw/

Anyone use lifestraw products?

Quote:

A bit about LifeStraw
The LifeStraw water filter redefines safe drinking water through cutting edge water filtration technology, innovation, product quality, and design. Lifestraw works with governments, donors, and individual consumers, like yourself, to understand the need for safer water

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Anyone use lifestraw products? [Re: NitroX]
      #375271 - 18/03/23 06:26 PM

I've got a couple of these. Never used them. But put one in my daypack for emergency water needs. If I have a guest eg larcher, curl, I loan the other to them.

Quote:

LifeStraw Personal Water Filter

$43.95

Lifestraw
LifeStraw, the original ultralight backpacking and travel-friendly “straw” water filter, makes contaminated water safe to drink by removing bacteria, parasites and microplastics. Drink directly from lakes, rivers and streams or fill a container and use your LifeStraw on the go. The LifeStraw can provide up to 5 years of safe drinking water. Your purchase has impact: one product, one child, one year of safe water.

It's designed to stick one end into water, a stream or cup of water and suck the water through to filter it.

Useful for any hunting, camping, travel at home. Un-expected emergencies, lost in the bush, injured, run out of water, should allow drinking water. Carry a collapsible cup to scoop water to drink from.

Take one with on safari to Africa. Not needed? I've been faced with drinking from a cattle water trough, water holes, hole dug in a sandy river bed, etc. Leave it behind as a tip, a useful device.

Carry one when travelling anywhere in the third world, Africa, Asia, South and Central America.

Very useful but ...

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#375272 - 18/03/23 06:34 PM

But the new model is better. Why?

Quote:

LifeStraw Peak Series Personal Straw
0.0 star rating
Write a review
$49.95

or 4 interest-free payments of $12.49 with ⓘ

Lifestraw
We took the most popular outdoor water filtration device on the market, and reimagined it for added versatility, sustainability, a better grip experience, and updated design and colours. This ultra lightweight personal water filter straw is made from high performance premium sustainable materials, it has no extra parts to keep track of, and it boasts and enhanced flow rate for easy sipping.

Membrane microfilter protects against 999999% of bacteria, 99.999% of parasites, 99.999% of microplastics, silt, sand, and cloudiness
5 years of safe water in the palm of your hand
Enhanced microfilter performance
Long-lasting membrane microfilter will last up to 4,000 L of water
Your purchase has impact: one purchase, one child, one year of safe water

Because of this:

Screw it onto a bottle and filter a larger amount of water into a cup, canteen, camelback, water bottle, cook pot etc.

Far more useful than just a "straw", sucking water through it. Don't need to carry dirty water. One can filter and carry cleaned water.

I wonder what bottles it will screw onto? Common coke and water bottles? Surely there are big differences in threads?

One could carry a disposable water bottle which fits and when emptied, use it for filtering.

Once in Cambodia seeing water bottles being sold far more cheaply from a roadside stand, one retard we were travelling with immediately went and bought from it. Because he probably saveca few cents. I wonder what tap water these bottles are filled from? Tap water not being safe to drink, or brush teeth with etc. Don't get water in your mouth in the shower. Any bottled water, who knows if it's filled from a tap or not? Tough it out? I was once sick for three years on and off after drinking water from questionable sources. Or sharing water bottles with the PH and trackers. Never again. I take my own water canteens, bottles, camelback, now. With ignorant PHs being rude about it.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Edited by NitroX (18/03/23 07:59 PM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#375273 - 18/03/23 06:40 PM

Or carry one if these. Collapsible bottle included.

Quote:

LifeStraw Peak Series Collapsible Squeeze Bottle – 1L

$88.95

Lifestraw
LifeStraw’s Peak compact squeeze filtration is an all-in-one water storage and filtration device. Made from premium materials, it’s durable enough to last you on your long-haul adventures without having to worry about rips, tears, and punctures.

Protects against 99.999999% of bacteria (including E.coli, Salmonella), 99.999% of parasites (including Giardia and Cryptosporidium), 99.999% of microplastics, silt, sand, and cloudiness
Enhanced microfilter performance
Ultra-compact
Your purchase has impact: one purchase, one child, one year of safe water
Colour

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GFrAnmqz__s

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Edited by NitroX (18/03/23 07:07 PM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#375274 - 18/03/23 06:49 PM

Or for more efficient larger volume gravity filtering. Useful for refilling a 2, 3, 4 litre camelback. Or larger volumes of water for cooking and camp site use.

Quote:

LifeStraw Flex – Water Filter with Gravity Bag

$89.95 inc GST

Lifestraw
Maximize protection and water throughput with this ultralight, compact gravity water filter system. The LifeStraw Flex with gravity bag offers next level protection against bacteria, parasites, and microplastics in addition to lead, chlorine and other contaminants. Ideal for hiking, camping, emergency preparedness and survival. Your purchase has impact: one product, one child, one year of safe water.
Product Description
Maximize protection and water throughput with this ultralight, compact gravity water filter system built to provide safe drinking water in almost any environment. The LifeStraw Flex with gravity bag offers next level protection against bacteria, parasites, and microplastics in addition to lead, chlorine and other contaminants. The gravity bag features a leak-proof hose connector and a convenient shoulder strap for easy transport and flexibility to hang virtually anywhere. Ideal for hiking, camping, emergency preparedness and survival. Your purchase has impact. For every LifeStraw product purchased, a school child in need receives safe water for an entire school year.

Protects against 99.999999% of bacteria (including E.coli, Salmonella), 99.999% of parasites (including Giardia and Cryptosporidium), 99.999% of microplastics, heavy metals, like lead, chlorine, organic chemical matter and turbidity; improves taste
Versatile water filter system, can be used 4 ways: as a personal straw filter, with the included gravity bag, as an in-line filter with most hydration packs or attached to most disposable water bottles
Compact and ultralight, the gravity water filtration system weighs 196 g and can filter a gallon of water in less than 10 minutes
Long-lasting membrane microfilter lasts up to 2,000 L; replaceable activated carbon + ion exchange filter lasts up to 100 L
This product gives back: one purchase, one child, one year of safe water

Specifications

Membrane microfilter removes 99.999999% of bacteria, 99.999% of parasites, 99.999% of microplastics and turbidity (silt, sand, and cloudiness)
Activated carbon + ion exchange filter reduces lead, chlorine and bad odours for improved taste
Meets NSF 42 standard for chlorine reduction
Meets NSF 53 standard for reduction of lead
Meets US EPA & NSF P231 standards for the removal of bacteria and parasites
Membrane microfilter lasts up to 2,000 L, pore size: 0.2 micron
Activated carbon + ion exchange filter lasts up to 100 L
Filter Size: 22.9 x 2.5 cm
Hose Length: 70 cm
Gravity Bag Volume: 3.7 L
Gravity Bag Size: 47.5 x 27 cm
Weight: 196 g
Flow Rate: 0.5 L/min
BPA-free materials
Replaceable filters & parts
Includes: LifeStraw Flex filter, 3.8L gravity bag, quick-connect hose, and backwashing syringe

Pity they don't put the volume more prominently. 3.7 L. 200 gms so not too heavy. 8 minutes to filter a full 3.7 L.

Quote:

Additional Information
Weight 0.34 kg
Dimensions 14 × 6.5 × 27.5 cm

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Edited by NitroX (18/03/23 06:57 PM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#375275 - 18/03/23 06:54 PM

A much larger gravity bag for a multiple of price. Filter apparatus looks different.

Quote:

LifeStraw Mission – High-Volume Gravity Water Purifier

$219.95 inc GST

Lifestraw
The LifeStraw Mission gravity water filter system purifies water to 0.02 microns, making contaminated water safe to drink by removing bacteria, parasites, microplastics, and viruses. Ideal for groups, the LifeStraw Mission can provide up to 18,000 L of safe water and filter as much as 12 L per hour. Your purchase has impact: one product, one child, one year of safe water.
The LifeStraw Mission high-capacity, gravity water filter system purifiers water to 0.02 microns. The water purifier makes contaminated water safe to drink by removing 99.999% of viruses, 99.999999% of bacteria, 99.999% of parasites and 99.999% of microplastics. Ideal for group camping, outdoor expeditions, adventure travel and use in emergencies, the LifeStraw Mission can provide up to 18,000 litres of safe water. Easy to fill in lakes, rivers and streams, the system includes a compact roll-bag available in 12-liter size. Your purchase has impact. For every LifeStraw product purchased, a school child in need receives safe water for an entire school year.

High performance purifier removes 99.999% of viruses (including Rotavirus, Hepatitis A), 99.999999% of bacteria (including E. coli, Salmonella), 99.999% of parasites (including Giardia, Cryptosporidium), 99.999% of microplastics and turbidity (silt, sand, cloudiness)
Filters up to 12 L per hour, perfect for groups, camping, emergency preparedness and survival
Convenient roll-bag and shoulder strap for easy transport and flexibility to hang virtually anywhere; built-in backwashing system
The long-lasting microbiological purifier provides up to 18,000 litres of safe water
This product gives back: one purchase, one child, one year of safe water

Volume? 12 litres I think. An hour to gravity filter.

Quote:

Additional Information
Weight 0.626 kg
Dimensions 26 × 7.5 × 43 cm
Size
12L, 5L

https://m.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=43&v=kloYsUk3mho

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Edited by NitroX (18/03/23 07:03 PM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#375276 - 18/03/23 07:35 PM

Save money for large volume filtering? Use a 20 litre solar shower bag as the unfiltered water resouvoir. If one of the gravity devices or screw straw can be fitted to it? Assuming the newer straw version can operate by gravity feed?

To me the two best options are the improved newer straw version with a screw thread. If common water bottles can be fitted to the screw? More useful than the simple straw requiring sucking. External to the bottle so easier to carry just the "straw". Use a disposable one litre bottle in the field to refill canteens etc.

The 3.7 L gravity filter or the 5 L version of the bigger filter, depending on price, $220 for thecway L is ridiculous compared to 3.7 L $90 bag. A gravity bag if light enough, to carry in a day pack. If larger volumes of water need filtering, not just emergency use.

In camp useful for filtering drinking and cooking water.

Last Top End buffalo trip a guest refused to drink from the running stream. I have previously used it for cleaning, cooking, and drinking water at need. An 160 I'm round trip drive to fill the water jerry cans. I stupidly had forget to fill them all when in town. Just one 20L as emergency highway water supplies. BTW the service station in Katherine where we always used to get town water now refuses to supply it. Though they let us fill up 2x 20L jerry cans. "Grey Wanderers" were regularly filling up 200 litre caravan water tanks and costing the servicecstation too much. Not sure where else to get it in Katherine?

A 3.7, 5, or 20 L gravity fed filter could filter a 20 L jerry can every two hours or so. Saves half a day and hundreds of kms water resupply!

Bore water is often a good remote drinking water source. Can be a bit saline sometimes.

I wonder how much these lifestraw products clean out salt from saline water?

Very useful products.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#375278 - 18/03/23 07:48 PM

Mick/264, mentions using lifestraw products - I think? - to resupply water on long arduous hot Top End hunting walks.

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=369064&an=&page=0&vc=1
"500 Jeffery 505 Gibbs"

Excellent comments on hydration in the thread.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
      #375284 - 19/03/23 12:23 AM

I have carried a basic Life-Straw in my hunting pack since they first became available for retail in Australia more than ten years ago. Bought a 6-pack on ebay for ~$120 or thereabouts.
Used one in anger in 2020 on a long back-country hunt a few months after major surgery. I had over-estimated my recovery status and had gone through all my water by mid-afternoon a long way from camp! It was stinking hot. Bloody glad I had one with me that day.

Haven't yet mustered the courage to do a Life-Straw only Northern Territory hunt with no water in the pack, but keep thinking what a pleasure that would be! Like a day chasing sambar, where your 600ml water bottle is still half full at day's end!

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Anyone use lifestraw products? [Re: Marrakai]
      #375307 - 19/03/23 04:30 PM

Quote:

I have carried a basic Life-Straw in my hunting pack since they first became available for retail in Australia more than ten years ago. Bought a 6-pack on ebay for ~$120 or thereabouts.
Used one in anger in 2020 on a long back-country hunt a few months after major surgery. I had over-estimated my recovery status and had gone through all my water by mid-afternoon a long way from camp! It was stinking hot. Bloody glad I had one with me that day.

Haven't yet mustered the courage to do a Life-Straw only Northern Territory hunt with no water in the pack, but keep thinking what a pleasure that would be! Like a day chasing sambar, where your 600ml water bottle is still half full at day's end!

Thanks for the reply of your use.

Good to have when one runs out of water. How would one fare if one had no water for long kms, high heat and humidity and considerable time? One could drink unfiltered water but take a risk of major stomach problems. Not good. Depending on how clean and running a stream might be or dirty and still a pool is. Something dead in the river upriver?

A lifestraw only hunt? Wow. What is the motivation? Not carrying kgs of water? Certainly say 4 L of water weighs a lot in a day pack and camelback.

I drink a lot so really appreciate a good sized camelback, to be able to sip water regularly as I feel I need it. But I worry about running out, how much is actually left in the camelback for the walk back? So like to carry a reserve litre.

If ground water is available a life straw device allows water from non carried sources to be potentially additional.

Where I hunt and have hunted, natural water can be rare, if including bore water at stock troughs and tanks, one might have to walk many kms anyway to get to them. If one knows where they are. I remember a hunt to a new place decades ago. On the map a bore was shown at a spot. We planned to replace used water there. I usually trust bore water direct from an outlet. It can be somewhat saline. We got to the spot in the Flinders Ranges, and all we found was a capped pipe. The bore and stock water was long gone. By the time I got back to camp, parched!

On the 264 thread boots are discussed. In the rocky countryside and hills of the Northern Flinders Ranges, that trip I wore out the soles of my farm Rossi/Blundstone boots. Had to resort to gym shoes at the end. Now any hunt, hiking trip, safari etc, I try to take my Scarpas as my main boots. They don't wear out soles. But like to take Rossis/Blundstones as my "casual" boots/shoes as my reserve hunting boots if reserves are needed. They are my everyday wear anyway.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

aromakr
.375 member

Reged: 20/04/11
Loc: Hamilton, Montana
      #375506 - 25/03/23 03:53 AM

John:
Your post reminds me of a story a friend told me about, he was on Safari in Africa. He the PH and trackers were headed back to camp one afternoon and he had a large bag of M&M's in his pack which he opened and shared with the PH then offered some to the trackers, they just grabbed a handful and handed the bag back to Gene, he started to take some more and the PH said "I wouldn't do that, they don't use toilet paper!"

Bob

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Anyone use lifestraw products? [Re: aromakr]
      #375520 - 25/03/23 03:21 PM

It's common on ones safari for the party to all share the same water bottles.

Not again!

Locals could have HIV, Hepatitis of various types, and all sorts of common and aweful infectious diseases.

The ignorant PHs might all stroppy about wanting your own water bottle. "Well you can carry it yourself! Don't come running to us when you runout!" As if the client wouldn't otherwise becsharing it anyway .... When you want to put your water bottle in the fridge or freezer overnight,beside the PHs it is a major imposition ...

In the PH schools they need to teach basic hygiene.

Maybe after all the covid virus BS, some hygiene might have crept in. Food preparation seems to be good. Water bottles NOT!

I caught glandular fever in Zimbabwe in 1994. Glandular fever is caught from saliva. So sharing water bottles is very suspect. I was sick seriously for three years in and off because of it. And still when tired get swollen glands decades later since then.

I think a camelback is a good idea on a safari. If you use them for all your other hunting so not an African safari? We don't all need our hands held endlessly. One PH once mused all a client needs is a rifle, not even binoculars. I thought "why even that, you can shoot it for me, I'll stay in camp,and also keep all my fees ...." Some of these guys need less false ego and far more maturity.

Enough whinging. A lifestraw product of some sort make a lot of sense everywhere.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #376023 - 15/04/23 08:02 PM

I have the basic lifestraw, have had it for close to 10 years. I have used it on a few hunts during the summer months. Ended up in some rough country and the camel back was not enough. Mainly wanting to avoid Ghadia. Now days it is part of the kit that always goes into my daypack.

eagle27
.400 member

Reged: 24/01/09
Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
Re: Anyone use lifestraw products? [Re: Rule303]
      #376033 - 16/04/23 09:13 AM

Meningitus would be a major concern for me if sharing water bottles and it seems to have come to a head in recent times with the introduction of bottled water. Bottled water is unchlorinated so there is nothing there to disinfect bacteria and virus's from infected mouths, back wash etc.

There is vaccination available for meningitus but as usual the young population don't think about this and are the ones most likely to share drink bottles and other utensils when living in close quarters.
We have had a few recent cases again here of university students returning after the summer break and contracting meningitus with warnings coming from our Health Department to not share drinking bottles and get vaccinated. Meningitus can cause death within hours and treatment is intravenous high strength anti-biotics but even with this intervention death still often occurs. Very nasty virus to catch if away from good medical care.

A few drops of chlorinated laundry liquid or few grains of pool chlorine is perfectly safe to use in bush drinking water.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1188

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com