Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Nightforce-scopes...

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Miscellaneous Topics >> Sporting equipment

Pages: 1
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Nightforce-scopes...
      #327492 - 20/04/19 06:44 AM

https://www.gunsandammo.com/editorial/nightforce-scopes/359636

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
Re: Nightforce-scopes... [Re: Ripp]
      #327504 - 20/04/19 02:03 PM

I have a couple NXS scope and rate them highly. The NX8 should be more of a good thing. I hope they end up making hunting friendly ones.

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Nightforce-scopes... [Re: Rule303]
      #327526 - 21/04/19 07:20 AM

Quote:

I have a couple NXS scope and rate them highly. The NX8 should be more of a good thing. I hope they end up making hunting friendly ones.

I do as well.. have a few and as you state, rate them highly.. durability wise I have found none better... glass is very very good as well.. If I was looking for a scope based on those two items along, NF would be the only scope I'd buy... my issue is weight on the high mtn rifles.. in that regard they are too heavy for my lightweight rifles...

Probably one of the nicest scope I have ever used is their ATACR models...

--------------------

Postman
.375 member

Reged: 25/09/13
Loc: Canada
      #327527 - 21/04/19 07:32 AM

I have never owned a Nightforce scope. With the 1-8x zoom, that would be very interesting to me.

I’ve got to agree with Ripp though, the weight is a factor on a rifle that spends 99.99999% of it’s time being carried. I have a 1-6x Swaro Z6 non-illuminated reticle that comes in at 15 ounces and seems a lightweight when compared to the new 1-8x 36mm giant boat anchor Zeiss, or the 1-8x S&B and I tend to use that Z6 Swaro a lot.

I’ll certainly be shopping for my first Nightforce 1-8x when they are relatively commonly available. It can sit on a rifle that gets carried in the Argo or ATV with a shorter plodding stroll to a deer stand or other hide and wait type hunting.

For the light carry rifles, I favour the super light weight (by comparison) Leupold 1.5-5x 1” tube VX3. It works really well on a Sako carbonlight or a Blaser K95 and doesn’t seem obtrusive nor does it unbalance the super light rifle..... AND it’s a hell of a deal at around $500 CDN... acceptably good glass, light weight, reasonable FoV with 75’ at 100”’....

The Euro glass with 30mm tubes usually give around 120’ FoV at 100”’ when set at 1x, which makes a big difference when faced with picking up moving game.

It would appear that life is one big compromise... sigh.

Edited by Postman (21/04/19 07:42 AM)

Rule303
.416 member

Re: Nightforce-scopes... [Re: Postman]
      #327544 - 21/04/19 07:12 PM

I understand where people are coming from when they say they don't want a heavy scope because of the balance. However I do not worry about that as I find it makes little difference. I find a large objective lens requiring mounting the scope higher has a greater effect on the balance and handling of a light or heavy rifle.

The other way I look at this problem is. Light rifle means I can use a heavier more sturdily constructed scope and still carry the same weight. The negative of course is this places more strain on the rings and mounts if the calibre sends the rifle back quick and hard.

This s just my 2 penny's worth.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #327549 - 21/04/19 09:11 PM

I have one Nightforce scope. Got a good deal at one of the gunshows by the Nightforce lads, through one of the dealers present.

Mine is a 1 - 4.5x or thereabouts on my Valmet double rifle in 9.3x74R. It is illuminated and has some sort of "tactical" reticle that is supposed to be good at close range, with horizontal bars and a small circle in the centre, illuminated. Plus some other crap, but minimal compared to a lot of "tactical" scopes. Works well enough on a double rifle. I do prefer German No.4 reticle or post and cross hair reticle usually.

The Nightforce scopes suffer IMO from their reticles. Too many tactical wannabee reticles.

Nightforce/Lightforce is a good company, its headquarters is in Adelaide, about 20 kms away from me right now.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Nightforce-scopes... [Re: NitroX]
      #327553 - 21/04/19 11:33 PM

Quote:

I have one Nightforce scope. Got a good deal at one of the gunshows by the Nightforce lads, through one of the dealers present.

Mine is a 1 - 4.5x or thereabouts on my Valmet double rifle in 9.3x74R. It is illuminated and has some sort of "tactical" reticle that is supposed to be good at close range, with horizontal bars and a small circle in the centre, illuminated. Plus some other crap, but minimal compared to a lot of "tactical" scopes. Works well enough on a double rifle. I do prefer German No.4 reticle or post and cross hair reticle usually.

The Nightforce scopes suffer IMO from their reticles. Too many tactical wannabee reticles.

Nightforce/Lightforce is a good company, its headquarters is in Adelaide, about 20 kms away from me right now.

The scopes can be very "busy" .. the ones I get don't have all of that..its a quite simple reticle --see attached....

http://nightforceoptics.com/news/caught-crosshairs-part-1

http://nightforceoptics.com/news/caught-crosshairs-part-2

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#327556 - 22/04/19 12:51 AM

My scope:

http://nightforceoptics.com/nxs/1-4x24

NXS™ 1-4×24 COMPACT RIFLESCOPE
HomeNXS™ RiflescopesNXS™ 1-4×24 COMPACT RIFLESCOPE

http://nightforceoptics.com/sites/default/files/Header-NXS-1-4x24-960x320.jpg

My reticle:

http://nightforceoptics.com/sites/defaul...g?itok=TjNupR2F
http://nightforceoptics.com/sites/default/files/styles/default-image/public/FC-3GILL.png

This one is better. A newer choice.

http://nightforceoptics.com/sites/default/files/styles/default-image/public/IHRILL.png?itok=HeHqGWHn

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#327579 - 22/04/19 03:27 PM

Quote:

My scope:

I would consider one of these on a classicly styled double rifle. Maybe more affordable than the expensive German and Austrian scopes.

But the Nightforce scopes purposefully ggo for that "tactical" styled look. Maybe a bit smoother and classier looking. Would be hard to put one of these one a classic styled side by side double rifle.

As Ahmed577 said on a different thread about a Swaro vs Leupold, , a Leupold also isn't quite right on a H&H.

But with these scopes becoming ever bigger and bigger, 34 mm tubes, on the big variable Nightforce, Swaros, Zeisss, Leicas S&Bs etc, a lot of them are so top heavy and possibly unbalanced on such fine rifles.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Rule303
.416 member

#327581 - 22/04/19 06:17 PM

My reticles are the same as the first one Ripp's link shows in MOA. You don't notice the rest of the reticle when snap shooting.

Ripp
.577 member

#327756 - 26/04/19 10:56 PM

Quote:

Quote:

My scope:

I would consider one of these on a classicly styled double rifle. Maybe more affordable than the expensive German and Austrian scopes.

But the Nightforce scopes purposefully ggo for that "tactical" styled look. Maybe a bit smoother and classier looking. Would be hard to put one of these one a classic styled side by side double rifle.

As Ahmed577 said on a different thread about a Swaro vs Leupold, , a Leupold also isn't quite right on a H&H.

But with these scopes becoming ever bigger and bigger, 34 mm tubes, on the big variable Nightforce, Swaros, Zeisss, Leicas S&Bs etc, a lot of them are so top heavy and possibly unbalanced on such fine rifles.

I am not sure a scope has been made that looks "quite right" on an H&H..

Agree with you, a Leupold certainly does not look correct on an H&H, but have to say, I ahve owned them all --Schmidt/Bender, Swaro, Zeiss, NF, Leupold, Burris... by and large, have shot more rounds through my CF rifles with Leupolds attached to them than all the others put together..yet, I have had all of them fail with the exception of the SB and Nightforce... 2 Swar's and 2 Zeiss...1 Leupold that was on a 300Win Mag for about 12 years or so..

I had a Leupold VX3 on my 300RUM... took that rifle/scope combo to Africa 5 times..scope was always on ..switched it to a Swaro, have to adjust it every time I get somewhere now... dumb ass, I should have left it the way it was... IMHO, NF is one of the toughest most durable scopes you will find anywhere..with very very good glass..

--------------------

Ripp
.577 member

#327757 - 26/04/19 11:02 PM

Quote:

My reticles are the same as the first one Ripp's link shows in MOA. You don't notice the rest of the reticle when snap shooting.

Have gone to 2 Long Range schools, both used NF exclusively.. and yes, while shooting, the reticles worked very well... really liked them once you got used to using them for windage, etc..actually very quick and accurate..

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3115

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com