Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Wanted advice on a new GPS

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Miscellaneous Topics >> Sporting equipment

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Wanted advice on a new GPS
      #282188 - 11/05/16 12:39 AM

I need a new handheld GPS for hunting. Where maps can be loaded onto it. Also which works well and fast. Thanks.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Re: Wanted advice on a new GPS [Re: NitroX]
      #282206 - 11/05/16 06:27 AM

The only gadget I have is a PLB,in case I wander out of the way and do a fetlock or something over the hill.
Its still on the floor next to my desk from when I unwrapped it 6 weeks ago ha ha.

I tried that GPS thing 20 years ago and gave up on it, instead relying on my own ability..thats diminishing too ha ha though I still make it home.
Though I must say that on a Tahr hunt in NZ we would have been buggered getting back to camp without being bluffed.
Maybe I should revisit a GPS again.

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #282212 - 11/05/16 07:33 AM

I have been using Garmins for years...mine is older now as the areas I hunted a lot I dont really need one anymore as I have learned the areas...like them much more than the magellan's

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Wanted advice on a new GPS [Re: Ripp]
      #282231 - 11/05/16 09:37 PM

I had my own old one in the NT last year. But Claydog loaned us his, and had downloaded a map to it. Huge difference for oountry one has never visited before, and where it is all flat. Creeks, rivers, billabongs, wetlands, but good to have an idea from the map an gps which one you are at.

Was the first time i used a gps properly. Have carried one before. A downloaded map makes a big difference.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
      #282251 - 12/05/16 06:01 AM

And we must remember that one of the Aussie hunters died up in the top end last year,it is an inhospitable place at times.

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Reged: 19/04/13
Loc: Melbourne Australia
Re: Wanted advice on a new GPS [Re: gryphon]
      #282252 - 12/05/16 06:22 AM

I have used a Garmin E-Trex for years and last year switched to a Garmin Rhino 650. It is fantastic, comes with a map of Australia which is all you will need. It shows the smallest creeks and tracks when you zoom it in. Also has a 5 Watt UHF, you can send text messages to other Rhino users and if there are several people hunting in group and every one has one than you can see where the other people are on the map. Many other usable features as well. They are not cheap but well worth the money.

Waidmannsheil.

--------------------
There is nothing wrong with vegetarian food, so long as there is meat with it.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Wanted advice on a new GPS [Re: Waidmannsheil]
      #282266 - 12/05/16 04:10 PM

Probably there is an inevitable trade off between battery life and electronic features. The ability to see where other members are also is a good feature.

Not sure of the equipment, but when hunting moose with Erik in Norway, the elkhound wore a GPS tracker. The other hunters could see where the hound was on their mobile phones, and so could judge where a moose might be somewhere in front of the hound. I am not sure whether the hunters could see where the other hunters were.

I will have a look at the Garmin E-trex or the latest version of it. Thanks for the comment.

Did it power up quickly and also acquire satellites quickly?

I will dig my current GPS for brand It is terribly slow in finding satellites, and can take minutes even when it should not take so long.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

#282307 - 13/05/16 08:02 AM

My E-Trex was on of the very first into the country and was reasonably fast at picking up satellites for about ten years. Then the internal battery died and it would take a long time to acquire satellites. My dad just bought the latest E-Trex, a base model unit but it is very fast. My Rhino 650 is super fast and although the screen is color, the battery life is very good. It has its own Lithium battery and the unit comes with a charger.

Waidmannsheil.

--------------------

MickoC
.224 member

Reged: 19/11/09
Loc: Queensland, Australia
      #294675 - 02/02/17 09:07 PM

The Garmin Rhino is the gear ,5 watt radio , can be mated with others so you can see where your mates are ,that is on the map so it is distance and direction, and can text silently.
One thing Waidmannshiel did not mention is that they are pretty damn tuff.
The battery lasts for days on 1 charge ,and you you can get a carrier to take the disposable dry cell type battery

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Re: Wanted advice on a new GPS [Re: MickoC]
      #294683 - 03/02/17 06:02 AM

Mick, you are correct in what you say. I bought a rubberised cover with a belt clip from the US for mine, it works a treat. I will have a look tonight and post the details. There is a new one out now as well that has a camera in the back so that you can link a photo to the waypoint.

Waidmannsheil.

--------------------

MickoC
.224 member

#294806 - 05/02/17 10:09 PM

Is that the Gizmo vest . I will be investigating this .
Cheers

Ripp
.577 member

#294811 - 06/02/17 12:08 AM

Quote:

The Garmin Rhino is the gear ,5 watt radio , can be mated with others so you can see where your mates are ,that is on the map so it is distance and direction, and can text silently.
One thing Waidmannshiel did not mention is that they are pretty damn tuff.
The battery lasts for days on 1 charge ,and you you can get a carrier to take the disposable dry cell type battery

I have friends that use these also and really like them..I also friends who used to use Magellan and were not happy with them at all..all are now using Garmin..FYI

Ripp

--------------------

mchughcb
.333 member

Reged: 21/02/14
Loc: Victoria, Australia
      #294813 - 06/02/17 12:27 AM

My recommendation is the Garmin Oregon 650. It is small enough to fit in pocket but has a touch screen. This allows you to pan and zoom like a mobile phone with google maps. It has a camera and can act as a torch. The antennae is great and there are some energy saving features. I'm glad I lost my old 60csx. The buttons especially for Pan and zoom were terrible. It is very easy to put weigh points in and a 32Gb card with Garmin topographic and Birdseye if you want satellite.

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Re: Wanted advice on a new GPS [Re: mchughcb]
      #294818 - 06/02/17 04:14 AM

Mick, yes that is the one. Sorry I didn't post earlier but it seems that I forgot to have a look when I got home.

Waidmannsheil.

--------------------

Claydog
.375 member

Reged: 17/08/12
Loc: Katherine, Northern Territory ...
      #294839 - 06/02/17 09:55 AM

The Garmin basecamp program that goes on your computer is a good tool to compliment your Garmin GPS. Allows you to keep everything backed up and is good to plot new routes and waypoints before you head out.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Wanted advice on a new GPS [Re: Claydog]
      #294879 - 07/02/17 09:00 PM

Quote:

The Garmin basecamp program that goes on your computer is a good tool to compliment your Garmin GPS. Allows you to keep everything backed up and is good to plot new routes and waypoints before you head out.

Good to know. The Garmin Rino 750 (and 650) look quite good.

Anyone know how good the 5 watt UHF radio is? Would cut out one extra thing that would no longer need to be carried, another plus.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Ripp
.577 member

#294889 - 08/02/17 12:56 AM

Sale at Cabela's

http://www.cabelas.com/category/Handheld...mp;gclsrc=aw.ds

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#294893 - 08/02/17 01:42 AM

Probably on sale as there is a 750 model now.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Ripp
.577 member

#294899 - 08/02/17 02:51 AM

Quote:

Probably on sale as there is a 750 model now.

I am certain that is why...

--------------------

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

#294907 - 08/02/17 05:33 AM

The UHF works very well, at least on the 650.

Waidmannsheil.

--------------------

MickoC
.224 member

#295053 - 10/02/17 09:24 PM

The screen does zoom in out and you must remember to keep the volume down on the UHF, it works very well, miles of range.And there are various maps available at a cost.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#295054 - 10/02/17 09:50 PM

Quote:

The screen does zoom in out and you must remember to keep the volume down on the UHF, it works very well, miles of range.And there are various maps available at a cost.

I assume it has a jack for combined ear piece and microphone like most good UHF radios?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#295055 - 10/02/17 10:15 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I assume it has a jack for combined ear piece and microphone like most good UHF radios?

Aaaaaa hhhhggggccchhhh Bloody crap vlue tooth!

Quote:

Works with Bluetooth-enabled Headsets

Syncing your Rino with a compatible Bluetooth-enabled headset enhances your radio communications, even under adverse weather or wind conditions. And by syncing your Rino with a compatible smartphone¹, you receive smart notifications (calls, texts, emails and more) right on your display, so you stay focused on the trail ahead while staying connected with friends and family back home.

But hopefully?

Listed in accessories. No mention of te jack port in the specifications though.

I prefer reliable cables. As for the second, why not just use your ffffing smart phone anyway ....

Quote:

Turn Your Computer Into a BaseStation

Garmin BaseStation lets you turn your laptop (loaded with BaseCamp) into a field command center for tracking multiple Rino units. View real-time GPS information on the larger display of your computer while Rino serves as a router/antenna. And because it’s Garmin GPS-based, you're in control of more effective search and rescue operations, even when internet or cell phone service isn’t available.

Headset with Boom Microphone

Pair this headset and boom microphone with your two-way radio to communicate, hands-free, with other Rino® users in your group. The headset, which hooks around your ears, features external voice activation (VOX).

Is listed as compabitble though.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#295056 - 10/02/17 10:33 PM

Rino® 750

$769.00 AUD

Rugged GPS/GLONASS Handheld with Powerful 2-way Radio

High-sensitivity GPS and GLONASS satellite reception; tracks in more challenging environments than GPS alone
Supports Active Weather forecasts and animated weather radar tracking
Emergency alert reporting lets other Rino 700 series users on the same channel know where to find you in an emergency; tells you position of help on the way
3-inch sunlight-readable touchscreen with dual orientation (landscape or portrait view)

At a Glance

Combining map-guided trail navigation with 2-way radio communication, the Garmin Rino 750 handheld brings a whole new level of confidence to your outdoor adventures. It features a dual GPS and GLONASS satellite reception, Active Weather updates, emergency alerts with Position Reporting, Bluetooth® headset audio, 3-axis compass, barometric altimeter and more. Rino 750 supports advanced mapping capabilities such as BirdsEye Satellite Imagery (subscription required).

Navigate Anywhere — Communicate Everywhere

Each Rino series device features a dual-orientation, 3-inch color touchscreen that’s glove friendly and easy to read, even in bright sunlight. A powerful 2-way radio transceiver lets you easily stay in touch with your fellow hunters, hikers or explorers in the field. You also have capability to send unit-to-unit text messages to other Rino users in your area — ideal for loud or windy conditions or when you don't want to disturb the wildlife. Rino also lets you share your waypoints, tracks, routes and geocaches wirelessly with other compatible Garmin handheld devices.
Find Your Friends

Rino series handhelds feature a unique Position Reporting capability that lets you send your exact location to other Rino users so they can see it on their map page.
Pinpoint Your Position

With its high-sensitivity GPS and GLONASS receiver and quad helix antenna, Rino 750 quickly finds your position and maintains it — even in heavy cover or remote, off-the-grid locations. Plus, a built-in barometric altimeter and 3-axis compass make it easy to get your bearings without needing to hold the unit level.
See Your Surroundings

Rino 750 handheld comes with a worldwide, shaded-relief basemap. With the wide array of detailed Garmin marine and road maps available, it’s easy to install additional mapping products. Just use the unit’s microSD™ card slot to load the compatible mapping options you want. Or you can use our free Custom Maps software to transform paper and electronic maps into downloadable maps for your device.
Keep a Close Eye on the Weather

With support for Active Weather forecasts and animated radar tracking, the Rino 700 series gives you a vital edge in weather awareness. Get real-time conditions, forecasts and alerts (in areas with coverage) directly on your handheld display when the Rino is paired with a compatible smartphone¹ and the Garmin Connect™ Mobile app. For added safety, each 700 series Rino handheld features a built-in NOAA weather radio that can help you avoid hazardous weather. The radio supports Specific Area Message Encoding, which allows you to see National Weather Service warnings and watches displayed county-by-county on the map screen.
Works with Bluetooth-enabled Headsets

Syncing your Rino with a compatible Bluetooth-enabled headset enhances your radio communications, even under adverse weather or wind conditions. And by syncing your Rino with a compatible smartphone¹, you receive smart notifications (calls, texts, emails and more) right on your display, so you stay focused on the trail ahead while staying connected with friends and family back home.
Think Rugged and Robust

Durable and water-rated to IPX7, the Rino 700 series is built to keep delivering vital mapping and tracking data, no matter what the elements throw at you. Battery life can exceed 14 hours in the field. Plus, the dual battery system lets you use the included rechargeable lithium-ion power pack or AA battery pack (sold separately).
Plan Your Next Trip

Take charge of your next adventure with BaseCamp™, software that lets you view and organize maps, waypoints, routes and tracks. This free trip-planning software even allows you to create Garmin Adventures that you can share with friends, family or fellow explorers. BaseCamp displays topographic map data on your computer screen, including contour lines and elevation profiles. It can also transfer an unlimited amount of satellite images to your device when paired with a BirdsEye Satellite Imagery subscription.
Turn Your Computer Into a BaseStation

Garmin BaseStation lets you turn your laptop (loaded with BaseCamp) into a field command center for tracking multiple Rino units. View real-time GPS information on the larger display of your computer while Rino serves as a router/antenna. And because it’s Garmin GPS-based, you're in control of more effective search and rescue operations, even when internet or cell phone service isn’t available.

Physical & Performance
Physical dimensions 2.6” x 7.9” x 1.6” (6.6 x 20.1 x 4.1 cm)
Display size 1.53” x 2.55” (3.8 x 6.4 cm); 3.0" diag (7.6 cm)
Display resolution 240 x 400 pixels
Display type 3.0" transflective, 65K color TFT
Weight

12.3 oz (348 g) with battery pack
Battery removable, rechargeable lithium-ion battery pack; AA battery pack (not included)
Battery life up to 14 hours (up to 18 hours with optional AA battery pack at 2 watts)
Water rating IPX7
High-sensitivity receiver
Interface high-speed USB and NMEA 0183 compatible
Camera

no
Barometric altimeter
Electronic compass Yes (tilt-compensated 3-axis)
Transmit power 5 watts (UHF); up to 32 kms (LOS)
Maps & Memory
Basemap
Ability to add maps
Built-in memory 1.7 GB
Accepts data cards microSD™ card (not included)
Waypoints/favorites/locations 10,000
Routes 250
Track log 20,000 points, 200 saved tracks
Outdoor Features
Automatic routing (turn by turn routing on roads)
Geocaching-friendly
Hunt/fish calendar
Sun and moon information
Area calculation
Picture viewer
Two-way Radio Features
Frequency band UHF
Channels 80 + 38 CTCSS
Squelch codes 38 (CTCSS); 83 (DCS)
Range Up to 32 kms (line of sight)
VOX (voice activation)
Location reporting (send and receive GPS positions)
Vibration alert
NOAA weather radio
Additional
Additional

Contacts: 50
Map segments: 15,000
High-sensitivity, WAAS-enabled GPS receiver with HotFix® and GLONASS support: yes
Geocaching Live: yes
Active Weather support: yes
Bluetooth® ANT+® capable: yes
BirdsEye Satellite Imagery: not included
Custom Maps compatible: yes
Charges via a standard mini USB

https://buy.garmin.com/en-AU/AU/p/533999#specs

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#295057 - 10/02/17 10:42 PM

Rino® 650

$599.00 AUD

Rino 650 combines a 5 watt UHF radio with a 2.6" glove-friendly colour touchscreen GPS packed full of powerful features like a barometric altimeter, 3-axis compass and rechargeable Li-ion battery.
Pinpoint Your Position

With its high-sensitivity GPS receiver and HotFix, Rino 650 quickly finds your position and maintains it – even in heavy cover. Plus, a built-in barometric altimeter and 3-axis compass make it easy to get your bearings without the need to hold it level.
See Your Surroundings
Rino minisite

The device comes with a worldwide basemap with shaded relief, so you can navigate anywhere with ease. Adding more maps is easy with Garmin's wide array of detailed topographic, marine and road maps. With its microSD™ card slot, Rino 650 lets you load TOPO Australia & New Zealand maps and hit the trail or plug in BlueChart® g2 preloaded cards for a great day on the water. The device also supports BirdsEye™ Satellite Imagery (subscription required), that lets you download satellite images to your device and integrate them with your maps. In addition, Rino 650 is compatible with Custom Maps, free software that transforms paper and electronic maps into downloadable maps for your device.

Find Your Friends

Rino 650’s unique Position Reporting capability lets you send your exact location to other Rino users so they can see it on their map page. Plus, improved audio performance means it’s easy to communicate with any other conventional UHF radio in the area. It can be useful in an emergency, or just a handy way to keep tabs on your hunting party, hiking partner, family or friends.
Stay in Touch

With plenty of transmit power, Rino 650 also lets you send unit-to-unit text messages to other Rino users in your area – it's ideal for loud or windy conditions, or just when you don't want to disturb the wildlife. It also lets you share your waypoints, tracks, routes and geocaches wirelessly with other compatible Garmin handheld devices.

Physical & Performance
Physical dimensions 6.0 x 19.0 x 4.5 cm
Display size 3.6 x 5.5 cm; 6.6cm diag
Display resolution 160 x 240 pixels
Display type transflective, 65-K colour TFT
Weight 320 g with battery pack
Battery removable, rechargeable lithium-ion battery pack
Battery life 14 hours (up to 18 hours with optional AA battery pack)
Water rating IPX7
High-sensitivity receiver
Interface high-speed USB and NMEA 0183 compatible
Barometric altimeter
Electronic compass Yes (tilt-compensated 3-axis)
Transmit power 0 - 5 watts
Maps & Memory
Basemap
Ability to add maps
Built-in memory 1.7 GB
Accepts data cards microSD™ card (not included)
Waypoints/favorites/locations 2000
Routes 200
Track log 10,000 points, 200 saved tracks
Outdoor Features
Automatic routing (turn by turn routing on roads)
Geocaching-friendly
Hunt/fish calendar
Sun and moon information
Area calculation
Picture viewer
Two-way Radio Features
Frequency band UHF
Channels 80
Squelch codes 38 (CTCSS); 83 (DCS)
Range Up to 2 miles over FRS; up to 20 miles over GMRS (US); up to 13 km over GMRS (Canada)
VOX (voice activation)
Location reporting (send and receive GPS positions)
Vibration alert

https://buy.garmin.com/en-AU/AU/p/82798#specs

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7218

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com