Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Leather Boots

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Miscellaneous Topics >> Sporting equipment

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Nitro
.224 member

Reged: 12/10/12
Loc: Aus
Leather Boots
      #218326 - 23/10/12 10:54 AM

Hello All,

I am looking for a new pair of boots. Something for hunting in mainly hot weather and the odd bit of cold weather.
Most of te time temp would be over 25deg Celsius usually more with the odd bit of hunting on the GD range around 5deg.
Something uninsulated like the Courteney safari or selous.

I have a bit of a short list so far but interested in others opinion.
I have looked at the Aussie made Rossi bushwalking boots, the mulga, 110 raptor and 180.
Also Rogue boots made in South Africa and ground cover made over there as well.

thanks

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
Re: Leather Boots [Re: Nitro]
      #218335 - 23/10/12 07:18 PM

I use Courteney "SAFARI" boots for hot conditions but their not great for cold wet and steep country so its hard to get one set for all conditions.
My boots for those conditions are ASOLO, MEINDL ISLAND and SCARPA.
SCARPS make a pair now (Terra or Ranger) that would be fine for most conditions BUT providing they suit you foot shape.

Caprivi
.375 member

Reged: 30/09/08
Loc: America's Serengeti, Buffalo W...
Re: Leather Boots [Re: ozhunter]
      #218351 - 24/10/12 05:02 AM

Shoe/boot wise I am sorta in the "cult" rut. I wear Courteney Boot Co. "Selous" for most of my hunting (well for everything besides the dirtiest of work) and when I feel the need for a rougher boot and maybe more ankle support/protection, as well as in the snow or wet......I wear Meindel "PerFekt 7" Hiker", available thru Cabela's. My hunting is very aKtive and I do not like a insulated shoe. My feet still tend to sweat and still a chance of them getting cold, from being wet. If I know for sure that it is going to be cold or wet and that I will be required to be on a sit, then I wear something like the MUCK brand calf high neoprene/wet suit material boots. No support or comfort for packing/hiking....but very dry and very good traction in snow and slop as well as warm enough for zero degree weather. Light enough to pack along as well, if terrain would demand.

http://www.courteneyboot.com/selous_m.php

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-3...ch-All+Products

http://www.muckbootcompany.com/men/outdoor-sporting/Pages/ArcticSportHi.aspx

--------------------
To live life as it is handed to me from God

Nitro
.224 member

Re: Leather Boots [Re: Caprivi]
      #218362 - 24/10/12 01:29 PM

Hi Ozhunter and Caprivi
Thanks for the replys.

I like the look of the Gaspo boots brought in by hunters element http://hunterselement.co.nz/product-category/footwear/gaspo-footwear/ for mountain/snow/wet work. Wil have to find a place that stocks them to try on.

The courteneys or what ever lightweight boot I get will only be for dry and hot work.

I could get two pairs of ground cover or rogue boots for the price of the selous.

What sort of innings are you getting from your courteney boots?

Are the meindl made cabelas branded boots made in Germany or Asia?

thanks a lot for the replys.

Caprivi
.375 member

Reged: 30/09/08
Loc: America's Serengeti, Buffalo W...
      #218363 - 24/10/12 02:19 PM

Nitro, I am not familiar with the Gaspo, Ground cover nor Rogue boots that you speak of.

I can say I have 5 years of near daily use on the Courteney's. They are indeed expensive (relatively) but actually, as I am 48yrs old, I don't forsee ever buying another pair of shoes for that role. I believe they will last the rest of my walking life.

I am not aware of "Asia" made Meindl's thou anything is possible. Mine are indeed marked "Made in Germany" ..... They are 2 years old, so may have changed since then ???

--------------------
To live life as it is handed to me from God

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
Re: Leather Boots [Re: Caprivi]
      #218370 - 24/10/12 06:54 PM

We have been here a few times, I have a pair of Courteney which I daftly bought from UK at 3 times the price you can buy them for in South Africa, see http://www.russellmoccasin.com/ who will always get my vote though the Courteneys are good if it is dry, best, Mike p.s. 14 week delivery time on the Russells

DaggaBoyBlog
.275 member

Reged: 28/02/12
Re: Leather Boots [Re: Mike_Bailey]
      #218376 - 24/10/12 10:53 PM

I've been wearing a pair of leather Scarpas since 2005. While they haven't been worn in snow, I've hunted swamps, loads of creek crossings, sub-zero temps in the ranges and high forties out west. They've done many miles and they still wear really well!

--------------------
DaggaBoy Blog - Hunting adventures of an ordinary bloke... http://www.daggaboyblog.com.au/

Nitro
.224 member

Re: Leather Boots [Re: DaggaBoyBlog]
      #218411 - 25/10/12 10:44 AM

Hi Mike and DaggaBoy,

The Russell's are a bit more then I would like to spend for an everyday kicker.

Those Scarpas look great Dagga. How are they in really hot temps? What you do sounds a lot like what I will be doing but will only use the boots in warm/dry areas and a bit of damp stuff in summer up on the range.

Caprivi, I would be very happy if I got 5 years out of a pair. If comfy will probably wear everyday for work as well.

I havnt seen Asian made Meindls but read it somewhere so thought I would ask.

Here are the groundcovers.
https://www.groundcover.co.za/shoes/men/mens-boots

I like the injasuti, trekker, berg.

Here are the rogues http://rogue.co.za/boots.html

The RB5 and RB1 appeal to me. I could get two pairs for the price of the courteneys but havnt heard much about the quality.

thanks,

mauserand9mm
.400 member

Reged: 03/09/09
Loc: Queensland, Australia
      #218522 - 28/10/12 11:23 AM

I need new boots too and am keen for the Courteneys. I'm in Brisbane - anyone who where I could find them here?

Nitro
.224 member

Re: Leather Boots [Re: mauserand9mm]
      #218524 - 28/10/12 12:20 PM

I think I read that cleavers sell them. I would imagine that most gunshops can get them or you can go direct to the importer.

Rossi has a few pairs of nice boots and Aus made. I have a pair of maxim and I may stick with them, the mulga feel even better and probably more suited to what we do.

I dont think I will get a pair of courteneys anymore.

DaggaBoyBlog
.275 member

Reged: 28/02/12
      #218535 - 28/10/12 08:33 PM

Quote:

Hi Mike and DaggaBoy,

The Russell's are a bit more then I would like to spend for an everyday kicker.

Those Scarpas look great Dagga. How are they in really hot temps? What you do sounds a lot like what I will be doing but will only use the boots in warm/dry areas and a bit of damp stuff in summer up on the range....

thanks,

Nitro I chase a lot of pigs in SW QLD and summer temperatures are often well into the mid forties. With the last few good seasons Ive spent a lot of time in lignum swamps and there's a few artificial floods around the bores that are hot spots for pigs - I spend a lot of time in there too. I'm very prone to rolling my ankle and need pretty good ankle support, to date they've saved my foot a load of times!

Gotta' keep 'em clean, wash the mud off and treat them with a good leather conditioner every now and then.

--------------------
DaggaBoy Blog - Hunting adventures of an ordinary bloke... http://www.daggaboyblog.com.au/

mauserand9mm
.400 member

Re: Leather Boots [Re: DaggaBoyBlog]
      #219089 - 05/11/12 07:57 PM

I just bought a pair of the Rossi 110 Raptors - were on special here. Nice and light and very comfy. I'll see how they fair in the heat at Quilpie in a few weeks time.

Nitro
.224 member

#219300 - 08/11/12 01:50 PM

Hi Daggaboy,

Sorry for taking so long to reply. Mid forties is plenty hot enough to test the boots in hot weather so they sound perfect for what I do. I tried a few pairs on and they did feel a bit weird but I didnt wear them long and they were brand new. I think with a bit more time to try them out they would have been much better. Thanks a lot for your help and person experience.

Mauserand9mm,

Can you post here and let me know how they go. The 110s looked as well made as the scarpas and although not very patriotic I would much rather support small companies or Aus made and especially small Aus companies. Did you find the tongue went off the side of your foot trying them?

mauserand9mm
.400 member

#219309 - 08/11/12 05:38 PM

Yes, the tongues are unusual, or rather the webs on the sides of the tongue. I try and keep the tounge centered and let the wings do whatever they want to (LH boot ends up with an "inny" and "outee" web, RH boot has both webs as "outees" - doesn't seem to matter much).

So far so good - I have them on all day but am currently spending all my time driving (I'm on a driving holiday in Victoria at the moment). I'll head out to Quipie in 2 1/2 weeks time. Fortunately the maximum temperature out there is only (?) mid to high 30s - that's high enough for me.

I never had boots with the hook style of lacing before, and it's brilliant. The bottom 4 are loops and the top 3 are hooks. Super quick to take off.

Nitro
.224 member

#219312 - 08/11/12 08:36 PM

Mauser,

Do you regard them as well made? Mid to high 30's is good enough test I feel.

Where did you get them on special from?

thanks

mauserand9mm
.400 member

#219317 - 08/11/12 09:38 PM

Well, can't fault the way they appear to be put together - workmanship looks good. Time will tell. I had a pair of Rossi motorcycle boots that outlasted my motorcycling "episode" of 15 years (actually I still have them packed away somewhere), but mind you, I keep wearing footwear until they are absolutely dead (nothing is more comfortable than a well worn boot ). No guarantee that the modern Rossis are as good of course.

I got them from Camping Solutions at Ormiston. The price is currently reduced, and it is the only boot they sell.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #219418 - 10/11/12 07:00 PM

Nitro

I have a couple of pairs of new Scarpas. And I have no problem with wearing them in cold climates, one pair I just wore in Norway and Sweden, wet and cool. That one - I think it is the Ranger model (Scarpa Ranger Gore-Tex Boot) - and the other pair - Scarpa Terra Gore-Tex Boot - I also wear at home, hot and dry. Both are lined with Goretex btw. (btw I got sucked into buying a second pair - the Terra's at a later date, as I was looking for a lighter boot eg for the Top End, but really the difference was not great enough to justify, but now I have two pairs of good boots so they should last a long time. The Terra's are a more flexible boot though. )

I can't say I would buy Courtneys in Australia at all. All the Courtners I have looked at are poorly designed boots, simple old fashioned leather boots made out of trendy leathers. Good to look at, but not to wear compared to a modern well designed boot. And VERY expensive for the value. IMO.

Guys used to buy them for $25 from the factory outlet in Bulawayo. A great trendy boot for $25. But to pay $300 to $400 or more for a really crap designed boot ... no way.

The Scarpas I bought were cheaper than a Courtney.

Regarding Rossi's I wear them all the time. I have three different pairs, I won at auction at a charity dinner (for a repatriation hospital), for a very good price. I use one pair on the farm, one pair is nicely polished for town, these two are two variations of the slip on elastic boot. Good for farm and casual use, standard farm type boot, but for lots of walking eg hunting, a more supportive boot with better soles is better. The other is a lace up boot, I don't wear yet. The charity price was a too good to pass up, about $90 for all three. But I wear the Rossi's almost every day, except when I wear a suit.

I think Aussie made Rossi's and Blundestones are just as good as any Courtney and probably better made too.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Edited by NitroX (10/11/12 07:08 PM)

Nitro
.224 member

Re: Leather Boots [Re: NitroX]
      #219421 - 10/11/12 09:06 PM

Hi NitroX,

Thanks for the detailed reply.

Wont be buying courteneys for hot weather. Will just use what I have and get a pair of cold weather boots.

The new moroka30 boots look good. Made in India, im not sure if this is good or not. I will try and see if I can get my hands on a pair as well as the the upland gaspo boots sold by hunters element.

Both the terras and rangers can be bought much cheaper from the UK. I imagine probably a bit cheaper from Italy again.

Do you remember what you paid for the Rangers?

thanks

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #219425 - 10/11/12 10:52 PM

Quote:

Do you remember what you paid for the Rangers?

I think they were reduced at the time. Somewhere between $275 and $350.

I don't like buying boots off the net. Like to try them on before buying.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Deutsche_Vortrekker
.333 member

Reged: 27/04/08
Loc: From the Kalahari to the USA
Re: Leather Boots [Re: NitroX]
      #228407 - 09/04/13 03:01 PM

I ordered a pair of TAG Safari boots recently.Never had a pair but I knew a few ex pat. Germans in Namibia who loved them . Very hard to get as TAG only gets them in once in a while .Made with Cape Buffalo and other Afrikan skins.Have not used them personally yet so the jury is still out on them .Anyone else have any experience with the TAG boot ? Very similar to the Selous boot

Edited by Deutsche_Vortrekker (09/04/13 03:07 PM)

Ben
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/08
Loc: Northern Territory, Australia
Re: Leather Boots [Re: Deutsche_Vortrekker]
      #228414 - 09/04/13 04:22 PM

I really like my Courteney boots. They are the best boot I have found for hot conditions, they're tough, and I think they're good value for money. The only problem is that I like Crocs better.

Deutsche_Vortrekker
.333 member

Re: Leather Boots [Re: Ben]
      #228617 - 13/04/13 01:44 AM

http://www.tagsafari.com/item/ts-011-buffalo_tag+safari+boot_boots Received the TAG Safari boots and am I impressed.Made from Cape Buffalo and Kudu skins in Zimbabwe they fit like a glove .Went for a 5 mile force march / run and they performed magnificently with no breaking in.Don't recommend many things but these boots are light as a feather ,very well built and comfortable

Charls
.275 member

Reged: 05/05/05
Loc: South Africa
      #228736 - 15/04/13 01:45 AM

I've got both Courtney's and Irish Setter- the Courtneys when I want to look good around the campfire and the Irish Setters when there's serious hunting to be done.
Charls

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #228787 - 15/04/13 07:00 PM

D_V I may have to have a look for the tag to try.

I tried every style of Courtney boots that the rep had at a gun show. Lets just say there will never be a place for them in my wardrobe. All were uncmfortable and I couldn't wait to get them of my feet. So what I am saying is whatever boot/shoe you want try em on before you buy.

Deutsche_Vortrekker
.333 member

Re: Leather Boots [Re: Rule303]
      #229292 - 25/04/13 10:40 PM

Rule303 ,I took a gamble when I bought these boots as I had not a chance to try them on but everyone in Namibia said they were great boots ;more comfortable than the Courtneys but similar. These boots are great; Cape Buffalo and Kudu hide ;very comfortable (I was hiking 15 miles the first few days I owned them)Double stiched welt (no cheap glued welt) The ripple soles are quiet and perfect for "Kalahari " type hunting.TAG Safari has a very good name ,the only problem I had to wait almost a year for these as very few are made(in Zimbabwe) so keep checking TAG's website or call them .They do have full sizes in now.

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 17793

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com