Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Scopes for Spot-Lighting!

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Miscellaneous Topics >> Sporting equipment

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
4seventy
Sponsor

Reged: 07/05/03
Loc: Queensland Australia
Re: Scopes for Spot-Lighting! [Re: AkMike]
      #155883 - 09/03/10 07:11 PM

Mike,
How long will you be in the country for? Are you having a look at other spots apart fron Adelaide?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
AkMike
.416 member

Reged: 19/11/05
Loc: Anchorage, Alaska
Re: Scopes for Spot-Lighting! [Re: 4seventy]
      #155895 - 09/03/10 08:52 PM

I haven't set a certain time yet. No dates either. But I was thinking 2 weeks. We'll be in the Sydney area west to the Eyre Penn.
I wish it wasn't so wet up north at that time. I'd love to bring a DR and meet one of the buffalos up there. One of these days I'll have to come back and try some of the great hunting you guys have there.

--------------------
"When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing; when you see that money is flowing to those who deal not in goods, but in favors; you may know that your society is doomed." Ayn Rand

tophet1
.400 member

Reged: 15/09/07
Loc: NSW, Australia
      #155899 - 09/03/10 09:07 PM

Quote:

I'm already packed and ready .. But I'm bringing some good Alaskan beer to show them what it's all about!

That's a big call coming to the Lager centre of the universe. (Just having a friendly dig mate) I'm sure you'll have a great trip and 'welcome down under' when you get here.

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Re: Scopes for Spot-Lighting! [Re: nothere]
      #155901 - 09/03/10 09:21 PM

Quote:

The meat from a 10-12 kilo red Buck or a 10-14 kilo red doe is the best roast you will ever eat, period!....

I have rolled a fair few different sorts of meat animals around the country side and there are IMO far better wild meats to be had than roo meat and any roo i have ever had has been from young`uns..got my permit renewed the other day,nary a one will be dressed for us,dogs only.I have a couple of deer calves (wild) kicking around the neighbours,much better!

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

nothere
.224 member

Reged: 18/02/10
Loc: NSW Australia
Re: Scopes for Spot-Lighting! [Re: tophet1]
      #155905 - 09/03/10 09:28 PM

Umm.....are you aware of the distance from Sydney to the East coast of South Australia?
I ask mainly because most seem to think it just down the road.
You can do the Sydney-Adelaide trip in fifteen hours if you go through Renmark.....then add a couple of more hours to the west coast of SA.

Regards.

nothere
.224 member

#155907 - 09/03/10 09:37 PM

Believe it or not Gryphon.....I do not think much of Sambar as table fare, then again I also think yellow belly and cod suck as well.....much prefer a nice silver and a twenty kilo porker that has been running about on someones oat crop for a few months.

And if this rotten rain keeps up we are going to have a bucket load of pigs around here in the near future.....we got three inches over the weekend....and Wagga got SIX!!!

Homer
.416 member

Reged: 07/04/09
Loc: Canberra, Australia
Re: Scopes for Spot-Lighting! [Re: gryphon]
      #155911 - 09/03/10 09:42 PM

G'Day Fella's,

AK Mike, I hope your question on the use of IR Lights and Night Vision equipment, has been addressed to your satisfaction? Thanks for your input fella's!
We normally don't drive around on Made Roads or tracks when we spotlight, so we need to see where we are going.
Some time back, I used an IR lens/filter on a conventional spotlight and it worked OK but for what ever reason (I've Forgotten?), That was a One-Off and it must be gathering dust somewhere in the W/shop!
Most shots around these part's ( the Southern Tablelands) are between 100 and 200 meters. Some shots are shorter and some longer and 99% of them are head shots!

As to eating "Skippy", I have to agree with you blokes, it's hard to beat!!!
The only time I eat Lamb, Pork and Beef is when I eat at Relatives, Friends and Restaurants!
The rest of the time it's either Skippy, Bambi, Tuna or Marlin!

As to all this rain, I can fairly hear the Porkers breeding up as we speak!
Fan-Bloody-Tastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any other comments on what I originally put this Post up for, "Scopes for Spot-Lighting"?

HooRoo
From
Hommer

--------------------
"Beware the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity,
Lick it Once and You Will Suck Forever"

AkMike
.416 member

#155978 - 10/03/10 03:28 PM

Quote:

Umm.....are you aware of the distance from Sydney to the East coast of South Australia?
I ask mainly because most seem to think it just down the road.
You can do the Sydney-Adelaide trip in fifteen hours if you go through Renmark.....then add a couple of more hours to the west coast of SA.

Regards.

I'm going to rent a car when we land and take our time to look around. The driving on the 'wrong' side of the road will be interesting to say the least. Maybe I should tape a sign on saying "Caution, Yank driving" ? "D

--------------------
"When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing; when you see that money is flowing to those who deal not in goods, but in favors; you may know that your society is doomed." Ayn Rand

AkMike
.416 member

#155980 - 10/03/10 04:02 PM

The Mrs. wants to know if we will be able to see koala's in the wild or are they pretty rare?

--------------------

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
      #155982 - 10/03/10 04:19 PM

Quote:

The Mrs. wants to know if we will be able to see koala's in the wild or are they pretty rare?

In certain areas, yes you will be able to see them.
Maybe go to a Sanctuary to guarantee it.

Just watch out for the Drop Bears, they are really dangerous.

Edited by 500Nitro (10/03/10 04:20 PM)

AkMike
.416 member

Re: Scopes for Spot-Lighting! [Re: 500Nitro]
      #155987 - 10/03/10 04:52 PM

And cackle berrys and white toothys.. The list goes on!

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #155992 - 10/03/10 05:39 PM

Quote:

Interesting! In about a year from now I'm geaded down there for some fishing and beer tasting, west of Adelaide. One of my friends offered to bring his triple duce along so I can get some camp meat. Surf and Turf!

When you are coming down, drop me a line. Well before when you know the dates if possible.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #155993 - 10/03/10 05:39 PM

Quote:

Koalas are very common where they exist. Kangaroo Island has too many as an example.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

AkMike
.416 member

Re: Scopes for Spot-Lighting! [Re: NitroX]
      #155995 - 10/03/10 06:00 PM

Thank You Gentlemen for the information!
I'm sure I'll have more as time goes on.

--------------------

Paul
.400 member

Reged: 28/08/07
Loc: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Re: Scopes for Spot-Lighting! [Re: kamilaroi]
      #156001 - 10/03/10 07:21 PM

Quote:

the pupil cannot dilate beyond 7mm and loses that ability from abt 25

Opinions on this matter must have changed. Pecar's 4x81 had a 36mm objective lens presumably because it was thought the eye could sometimes use a 9mm exit pupil. Maybe it was made for myopes.

Any young hunters here should carry a small ruler when out pitching woo. Then, when you see a girl hot to trot, ask if you can measure her pupils in the name of science - unless you can think of something better to do.

nothere
.224 member

#156003 - 10/03/10 09:18 PM

Quote:

I'm going to rent a car when we land and take our time to look around. The driving on the 'wrong' side of the road will be interesting to say the least. Maybe I should tape a sign on saying "Caution, Yank driving" ? "D

Don't bother with a sign, if you manage to get any more than a block from where you start on the right side of the road.......a B-double will clean you up and settle the matter fairly emphatically.

Just be prepared to have the piss taken out off you at regular intervals by all and sundry (if you survive the B-doubles).

AkMike
.416 member

#156082 - 11/03/10 12:07 PM

If that's Ozzie for a B Train for trucks.. Not a problem..
I drag a pair around here alot. I hear that down there they tow up to 5 wagons some places.

--------------------

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
      #156121 - 11/03/10 04:50 PM

5? Thats up north AKM not where you will be.

My mate from NM drove part of the way to Cobar for a half day and in that time drove over three brown snakes which really give him the creeps,we had a laugh about that.

I have koalas right here in my yard often,but live no where near where you will be going.

Nothere I wasnt specific about deer and said nothing about sambar at all... I was answering re roasts but when it comes to IMO meat a wild (has to be wild)fallow buck crop raider from Tassy is probably the best of the best,hog deer are very very good also.

I`m going down to Gippsland and hopefully will be able to roll one this season opener in April.

As far as sambar go my choice is an eating model of a calf no bigger than a jumbuck! Pink,sweet and tender!

We kill our own grass fed beef and lambs here and have the pick of the lot as a matter of course,roo`s not on the menu here these days.

Paul
.400 member

Reged: 28/08/07
Loc: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Re: Scopes for Spot-Lighting! [Re: gryphon]
      #156125 - 11/03/10 05:19 PM

Quote:

As far as sambar go my choice is an eating model of a calf no bigger than a jumbuck! Pink,sweet and tender!

We ate a little one when hunting the Dandongadale years ago, Gryphon, and I didn't like it much at all. It had that albuminous (eggy) taste you get when calves and lambs are still drinking milk.

- Paul

nothere
.224 member

#156136 - 11/03/10 06:12 PM

Quote:

If that's Ozzie for a B Train for trucks.. Not a problem..
I drag a pair around here alot. I hear that down there they tow up to 5 wagons some places.

I will lay London to a brick that it will be a problem if you are on the right hand side of the road when you meet.

B-doubles are a short A trailer with a standard B trailer behind.......the only road trains you will see from Sydney to Mildura will be double trailers, none from Mildura to Yamba as Victoria does not allow such....Yamba through to Adelaide is double rated, Adelaide to the west coast of SA is triple rated.

If you take the Sturt highway from Sydney to Adelaide I am situated in Hay which is smack on half way.....be sure to give me a ring so we can catch up.....and if you require a feed then I am sure we can provide

Regards.

AkMike
.416 member

#156151 - 11/03/10 08:22 PM

I'll do that! Thanks!

Should I practice saying 'Crikey'alot too

--------------------

kamilaroi
.400 member

Reged: 18/12/04
Loc: sydney, new south wales, Austr...
Re: Scopes for Spot-Lighting! [Re: 500Nitro]
      #156152 - 11/03/10 08:29 PM

Quote:

Quote:

So much for "selective" culling. No excuse if the joey is that large!!! Bloody pathetic and you feed the greenie agenda with such fatuous comments!

It's not that easy to see them somtimes, especially in scrub
or facing away.

In any case, you are there to take out roo's, 1, 2, does it really matter ?

A pity that my post from last day abt 2130 was "edumacated" (in the spirit of 1984) eh?

nothere
.224 member

#156153 - 11/03/10 08:43 PM

Quote:

I'll do that! Thanks!

Should I practice saying 'Crikey'alot too

Only if you want to have piss and pick handles kicked out of you by 20 000 000 Australians who have never used that expression in their lives.

AkMike
.416 member

#156154 - 11/03/10 08:45 PM

LOL, Sounds like a good idea to skip that phrase then!!!

--------------------

nothere
.224 member

Re: Scopes for Spot-Lighting! [Re: kamilaroi]
      #156155 - 11/03/10 08:47 PM

Quote:

A pity that my post from last day abt 2130 was "edumacated" (in the spirit of 1984) eh?

Okay, in the spirit of red headed Australians everywhere.....please explain!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 15148

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com