Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Modern Single Shot Bore Gun [cheap]

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Paradox and Bore Guns

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Modern Single Shot Bore Gun [cheap] [Re: Tom_H]
      #212494 - 11/07/12 08:42 AM

Looking just fine, Tom. Some of the guys with 20 bore muzzleloaders used to stuff 2 or 3 .54 ca. round balls inside a wad for deer and moose. Others merely used one or two .58 round balls inside a wad.

2 .570s would weigh around 530gr. If they are less than snug inside the wad (inside the bore), an acetate sheet can be wrapped around them. It will fly off with the wad as they leave the muzzle. Cloth patching will also take up a bit of room. Deer secum well to .54 and .58 round balls.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Tom_H
.333 member

Reged: 13/04/05
Loc: Southeast, NY
Re: Modern Single Shot Bore Gun [cheap] [Re: DarylS]
      #212529 - 11/07/12 10:56 PM

Thank you Daryl. That was a decent deer for the area that I was in. Took a few more like that from different angles and the results were typically the same (only one outlier).

The idea of a .570 ball in a wad sounds really good as long as they shoot well. At around 1500 they should cover things up to at least 150yds with a bit of holdover after 120. The .62 sounds nicer but 58 is enough.

I just opened up a steel shot wad from some trap loads. They are thicker and have quite a bit of vertical space. Also a 1/2" compression/gas seal wad underneath (for recoil?)
It is a full 1.35 deep and is .580 at the top with a taper to around .530 at the bottom. Lots of space in there with walls that are around.030 at the top.

Just something new to look at. Steel trap loads go for less than than AA by about $1. The 3/4 load supposedly clocks 1325

Tom

--------------------
Carbonation without fermentation is tyranny

Edited by CptCurl (14/10/12 10:56 PM)

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #212539 - 12/07/12 12:08 AM

Hmmmm - never heard of a steel shot trap load.

Considering the size at the bottm of the wad, I would either put a cushion wad down first, then the .570" to 575" on top of the wad, or a hard .530" ball at the bottom, with a hard .58 on top of it.

That 20 bore H&HR will drive that single .575" or .570" ball to 2,000fps fairly easily, but if you aren't experiences enough with loading, perhaps staying with what's in the books is a good thing. I'd go through Ed Huble's data to see what powders they used in the 20 and 28 bores. Too- you can go to Lyman's shotshell handbooks and have a peek at their data for balls and slugs.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

.300 member

Reged: 30/12/06
Loc: Melbourne,Victoria, Australia
      #214078 - 05/08/12 12:54 PM

for information on loading the Paradox load have a look at the rear section of Greame Wrights book "Shooting the English Double Rifle". There are some loads listed with pressure date. The 720 grn pojectile works a treat in My H&R with AP 70. With open sites, shoots under 2" at 50 metres. I ma looking for a heavier barreled one now as this light one really jumps. With a 720gns slug at 1100-1200 FPS it takes a lot of stopping. A friend of mine tried it on a pig from the rear and it came out the chest and kept going. Dead pig. I have not tried "Rifled slugs" in mine but have tried some balls, but not quite accurate enough.

Cheers Wayne

--------------------
The worst days shooting and hunting is better than the best day at work

EDELWEISS
.375 member

Reged: 22/11/05
Loc: Gettysburg
Re: Modern Single Shot Bore Gun [cheap] [Re: 450]
      #217885 - 12/10/12 04:45 PM

Theres no doubt the price is right and its a great gun for the money; but I just wish somebody would come up with some after market parts to make it "look" cooler.

Id start with the hammer and the release lever. Id like to see a bit a flair added to both of them. Think something like a percussion gun hammer with a bit of flip and curl. For the release lever, it could be even simpler; just add a bit more roll over the side and maybe a bit forward, like an old side lever gun. Ideally it would be best if H&R made a special model with those and a few more features. A few years ago they made "Buffalo" guns in 45-70 by just adding a 30 inch barrel to the gun. Now if they had only taken it a bit further.....

I know everyone wants to scope these guns; but given the choice Id go for some nice "period" sights and maybe a bit longer barrel.

OK and yeah Id like someone to market loaded brass shells with a ball exposed.

--------------------
If it's not custom, it's just borrowed

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  tinker 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 16347

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com