Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: My new GP Greener Bore Gun

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Paradox and Bore Guns

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
Jim_w
.224 member

Reged: 09/07/07
Loc: Alabama
Re: My new GP Greener Bore Gun [Re: 450_Ackley]
      #86256 - 27/09/07 08:18 AM

Longshot is a Hodgdon's "Spherical" powder, therefore made by the Olin Ball Process in St Marks, Florida. It is not an ADI product.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
      #86470 - 02/10/07 01:59 PM

David,

Beautiful gun! Have you been out hunting with it yet?

Congratulations!

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

450_Ackley
.375 member

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: Darling Downs, Qld Australia
Re: My new GP Greener Bore Gun [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #86527 - 03/10/07 04:49 PM

No, haven't taken it hunting as yet, I hope to one day, should work quite well on the odd pig or goat over here.
Work keeps me quite tied up, don't seem to ever have enough time to go hunting these days.

450 Ackley.

mehulkamdar
.416 member

#86707 - 07/10/07 01:40 AM

David,

It should work beautifully, I am sure.

I have a pending invitation to shoot some feral goats on a property in Texas but this is going to be far less edxciting - just a good friend and I going out with an SKS each.

You are a very fortunate man!

Good hunting!

--------------------

Mehul Kamdar

Rolland
.333 member

Reged: 31/12/06
Loc: Camp Verde, AZ
      #86792 - 08/10/07 02:46 PM

I have been looking for one of these actions for a while to do just that build a 12 or 20 bore. Thats a nice job would be a kick (no pun intended) to shoot.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: My new GP Greener Bore Gun [Re: Rolland]
      #86857 - 09/10/07 09:08 PM

I've loaded up a bunch of RB SR4756 loads using a .722" WW ball, cup-wads for centering the ball, card base wads, etc. with a folded crimp. I'll try them in my old Mosberg pump for starters, with the choke turned to fit the ball and seem what happens. I suspect velocties in the 1,450fps range according to the Lyman data I used.
: Of course, loading for a rifled tube can be a bit different. I suspect with the accellerating ball held by "G" force in the base cup of a wad, that it would be spun by the rifling/wad fit and need not touch the bore itself. This would also reduce pressure over the smae load with a groove diameter projectile.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Otto
.300 member

Reged: 15/09/05
Loc: Arizona, USA
Re: My new GP Greener Bore Gun [Re: DarylS]
      #87649 - 23/10/07 11:27 PM

Just put together an 11 bore rifle on a Mk111 Greener police gun. My "rifle" barrel was cut by Clearwater reboring (Jim Dubell) and has .728" bore, .744" groove, and 80" twist. Yes, I just had the shotgun barrel rifled. It has Brit proof for 1 1/2oz nitro, so feel it will do fine with round ball loads around 1200 fps. The Mk111 has the "funny" chamber and firing pin requiring modification. I cut my chamber at 2 1/2" since the R/B won't need a lot of space in the case. Also cut a short "forcing cone", but may change chamber length and/or throat according to how it shoots. Another issue that may be troublesome is the rim recess cut for the 12/14 chamber is quite generous and results in lots of headspace for a standard 12g hull. If necessary I can set the barrel back a thread, but that will require forend mods. My "rifle" is unchanged externally, full forend and mil buttstock. I'm awaiting arrival of the R/B mould so have yet to shoot. Will be great fun!

Otto

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Re: My new GP Greener Bore Gun [Re: Otto]
      #87680 - 24/10/07 11:12 AM

Otto,

Sorry for the OT post, but where are the pictures? DO post them whenever you find time.

Rolland,

The new Cabelas store in Hoffman Estates has three Greener Martini 14 bore shotguns on sale. No idea if they are suitable for conversion to rifles though. If you want me to check on the prices etc, let me know and I'll be glad to do this when I go there this weekend.

Good hunting, gentlemen!

--------------------

Mehul Kamdar

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: My new GP Greener Bore Gun [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #87686 - 24/10/07 12:11 PM

Otto - check out the data in the #3 and #4 Lyman Shotshell handbooks. As all 12 bore modern factory stuff, no matter what the shot load, is loaded to approximately 12,000PSI maximum pressure.
; You will find loads in the Lyman book showing only 10,000SPI that produces 1,500fps + with round balls and slugs weighing in the 1-1/8oz. range and a bit more.
; In your rifle's 2 1/2" case, you should easily make 1,350fps to 1,400fps. Go carefully for advance to what you are comfortable with. The original .577/450 rifle ammo in the same action made almost 30,000PSI - probably in the relm of 25,000PSI at least. It is a very strong action and only limited at this point by the thin walls of the barrel.
; For round balls, one need not use a groove diameter ball. If the cup wad is cut from a trap wad, field wad or steel-shot wad, then placed cup-up with the ball sitting on top. the wad will take the rifling, spinning the ball perfectly, then fall off at the muzzle. This worked very well for me in a smoothbore, but no reason it won't work in your rifle too.
: The reason I bring this up, is a .744" round ball will weight around 640gr. in pure lead, 620 or so in WW metal which is about as hard as you might want to shoot. I have such a mould, made by Jeff Tanner. My bro is now using that ball, patched in .030" denim in his Bess, a 10 bore.
; A couple friends of mine tried patching .684" round balls and loaded them in shotshells with excellent accuracy in their full choke duck guns.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Otto
.300 member

Reged: 15/09/05
Loc: Arizona, USA
Re: My new GP Greener Bore Gun [Re: DarylS]
      #87717 - 24/10/07 10:47 PM

Daryl, Thanks for the response. I have the #1 Lyman manual and it shows loads for the pure lead Foster slug, but nothing heavier. With 7625 a load of 38 grs is shown for over 1600 fps. I'm thinking of starting with 25 gr and chronographing. When I hit 1200-1300fps with good accuracy I'll stop. I've used .570 RB at 1250fps on lots of game including big muleys and have yet to recover one.

Could you describe what you mean by "patching". I'm trying to visualize how one would load a traditionally patched RB in a shell case. Your idea of using the cup from a plastic wad is something I thought I'd try in CBC brass cases. These measure .790" ID and need "something" to center the ball. May need to cut the cup from a 10g wad. In plastic cases, the ball is a snug fit. I plan to size .750 balls to .744 and use Lee liquid lube. May try unsized balls too, and let the forcing cone size them. Do you think at my velocity goal pure lead balls will shoot ok? I plan to try 1-20 alloy and WW, as well as pure lead. I'm thinking my 80" twist and .0075" deep grooves will handle soft balls just fine. If not, I'll harden the alloy. Think softer balls are most effective game loads, however.

Any/all advice is much appreciated.

Otto

Newy
.224 member

Reged: 13/03/08
Loc: Cooma NSW Australia
      #100080 - 23/03/08 05:41 PM

Dear 450 Ackley

Sir i am new to the big bore scene and i have a Greener GP that i wish to re-barrel to 12 bore as you have.
Could you please tell me the name of your gunsmith and where you have scouced your barrel from as i tried with E.R Shaw and they DONT EXPORT!.
I am having sleepless nights thinking about this Conundrum!

Kindest Regards

Newy.

P.S Could you please P.M if the Details are Sensitive. And your Greener is Indeed Beautiful Well Done!

--------------------
And so here we are! Today is another day closer to not being here!

450_Ackley
.375 member

Re: My new GP Greener Bore Gun [Re: Newy]
      #100162 - 24/03/08 04:02 PM

Newy,

PM sent.

Regards,
David.

kenbeth
.224 member

Reged: 02/09/07
Loc: Lightning Ridge, NSW AUS
      #110242 - 23/07/08 07:42 AM

Been looking at your Greener and are impressed have decided to go down the same road brought 2 gp,s from Mialls Melbourne,would be interested in your Gunsmith address to do the conversion for a Pacnor barrel
could you pm me?

cheers ken
lightning ridge

shinz
.300 member

Reged: 11/05/08
Loc: New Zealand
Re: My new GP Greener Bore Gun [Re: kenbeth]
      #110245 - 23/07/08 08:59 AM

I'm pleased that this thread has popped up to the top again seeing as it generally predates my joining this forum. I have a Greener GP with similar stock to the photo that David posted & it has certainly got me thinking along similar lines. I'm wondering how the slug molds that Lee does which use a trap wad as a sabot would do in a barrel like this. They are promoted as being suitable for rifled barrels & I'm guessing that the 1:20 twist that Pacnor do is close to what most rifled shotguns run as standard. Yes/No?
My GP has the colour case hardened finish on it which I'd probably keep but I really like the matt bead blasted finish that Davids GP has. The idea of a switch barrel set up is certainly an excellent idea. I really fancy the idea of a deer hunt with something like this.
Steve

shinz
.300 member

Re: Range Results GP Greener 12 bore. [Re: 450_Ackley]
      #110246 - 23/07/08 09:10 AM

Quote:

unfortunately my chronograph did not want to co-operate with the round ball loads, most probably because of the wad producing error readings. All in all, I'm happy with it.

Regards,
David

David, sorry I didn't pick up on this in my previous post, don't know if you've cracked this one or not, you might be able to overcome this if you set up a screen in front of the chrono's start screen with a hole in it just big enough to shoot thru & get a sight picture, say about 1" wide & 2" high. Wads & cards tend to drop away quick enough to fall below this hole & get stopped before they get to the chrono screens. The sort of plastic corrugated card that realestate signs are made of is good for this & they can be found all over the place for next to nothing.
Steve

Birdhunter50
.375 member

Reged: 03/06/07
Loc: Iowa,U.S.A.
      #110247 - 23/07/08 09:23 AM

Your 1 in 20 twist barrel is the right twist for shooting sabot loads. Lyman has come out with a 12 gauge hollow based sabot slug that weighs 525 grains and it can be loaded in standard trap and skeet wads and star crimped over the slug. They do well in this twist rate and shoot flat for quite a ways. They are very accurate on riflef Hastings barrels and they hit very hard on the receiving end. The molds sell for $70.00 US over here and you would have to pay extra for shipping, but I think you would really like them in your gun.

tarawa
.333 member

Reged: 21/10/07
Loc: South Florida
      #110278 - 23/07/08 09:21 PM

There's a company in Missouri called Odin Arms that rechambers the GP Greener for standard 2 3/4 inch 12- ga. shotgun shells. They also have an inventory of both converted and original shotguns for sale. They seem very reasonable.

--------------------
Life is for Service

450_Ackley
.375 member

Re: My new GP Greener Bore Gun [Re: tarawa]
      #110350 - 24/07/08 08:18 PM

Kenbeth,
PM sent to you.
Regards,
David.

450_Ackley
.375 member

#110351 - 24/07/08 08:28 PM

shinz,

Thanks for the idea, I'll give it a try.
Managed to get a good set of data for the CBE "paradox" projectiles, they chronograph at just a shade under 1400 fps with some AP-100 powder, bullet weighs 780 grains from my lead, which is about like wheel weights with a little lino, might be a bit hard for this calibre, but I was making rifle projectiles at the same time and decided to cast a few 12 bores while the pot was going. Sure drains the lead in a hurry though. I've had the best luck with filling the big groove in the projectile with lube, not exactly "pucka" but it works for me and stops the leading much better than liquid alox does. This rifle has taken just on 240 rounds to get the loads worked out to what I expect, which is 5 shot groups at 100 metres under 3 inches with the open sights, might have been a bit ambitious looking back now, but it has worked out OK for me.
And besides, what is more fun than shooting such a fun firearm, any excuse will do me!

Regards,
David.

shinz
.300 member

#110392 - 25/07/08 02:40 PM

David, sorry if this is getting off topic a bit, I was doing some online research for some buckshot loads for my GP (as you do )& came across this. Buckshot My original suggestion of the plastic sheet was based on thinking you were probably using either or both patches & felt wads. I don't know what this guy was using as wads but something a bit heavier for a screen might be called for. Ply or MDF, from memory it was about 12mm MDF that I saw used as a "wad" screen for a chronograph. A bit more looking around on google gave me this Screens Toward the bottom of the page, a very similar setup to what I've seen, this time with ply it would appear, so depending on what you're using for wads you might go with something heavier.
Steve

.300 member

Reged: 30/12/06
Loc: Melbourne,Victoria, Australia
      #116994 - 15/10/08 05:16 PM

450 Ackley.

Sounds like you are having a lot of fun with the bore gun. Can I ask who did the rebarrel job. Obviously they have the 12 bore reamer. I have just bought a greener police shotgun with the view of converting it the same way you have. Have you got a web address for the for pac-nor barrels. My earlier Marlin was not legal for big bore events. Your gun looks great.

Wayne

--------------------
The worst days shooting and hunting is better than the best day at work

450_Ackley
.375 member

Re: My new GP Greener Bore Gun [Re: 450]
      #117103 - 17/10/08 10:52 AM

Wayne,
No problem, the web address for pac-nor is www,pac-nor.com they have just had a fair price increase, and with the AUD the way it is, they will be a bit more expensive than before, also they make the .729 barrels from 1.75" stock, so add another $50-00 US to the cost.
I have got 4 of them in customs at the moment (pre price rise), they are taken, but if someone cancels on a barrel, you can have one of them if you like. I should have them in about 2 weeks as long as customs are nice to me!!
Alan Swan chambered my barrel, but Jim Kent and Allan Murray can also get their hands on the reamer as well.

Have fun, I'll be writing a story for the A.S mag soon on how I went about getting mine to shoot, and what loading tools etc I have needed along the way.

Regards,
David.

.300 member

#117114 - 17/10/08 05:21 PM

David.

Thanks for that and I will take up that offer of the barrel if someone cancels. I have been away from the forum for a while due to unforeseen circumstances, but I am getting back into the shooting. I am tossing up between 12 bore rifle or 577 calibre. I would like to build it on the greener action so I think the 12 bore will be better suited. What is the best groups you have got with yours. I like the ball loading the best. I had a CBE mould made as well and they are very good. Keep us informed of your developement with this project.

Wayne

--------------------

450_Ackley
.375 member

Re: My new GP Greener Bore Gun [Re: 450]
      #117116 - 17/10/08 06:45 PM

Wayne,
Here is a pic of the 4 projectiles I currently use.
L-R, a .732" round ball, 570 grains Jeff Tanner mould, a CBE HP Paradox style weighing 670 grains, same bullet but made as a solid weighs 730 grains, an NEI mould I just got this one weighs 845 grains. All weights are using the lead mix I use, similar to Lyman #2.
Best groups have been with the solid CBE at present, had a few groups going around 3 inches at 100 m. It averages closer to 4 inches in reality. The round balls will easily group into 2 inches or less at 50m.
Haven't done much with the NEI bullet yet, but the 6 I fired last weekend were in 2.5 inches at 50m, no load development on them yet.

Regards,
David.

.300 member

#117117 - 17/10/08 07:29 PM

David.

That is damn good accuracy. I am really hoping someone cancels their barrel. When is the first hunting trip with the weapon. Good luck.

Wayne

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 26 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  tinker 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 27023

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com