Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Shooting a 4-bore

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Paradox and Bore Guns

Pages: 1
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Shooting a 4-bore
      #376247 - 24/04/23 12:08 AM

https://www.facebook.com/groups/NitroExpressGroup/permalink/1335947893803329/?mibextid=Nif5oz

https://www.facebook.com/reel/640056741297740?s=yWDuG2&fs=e&mibextid=Nif5oz

http://NitroExpress.info/ubbthreads/photos_info/2023/04/4bore.mp4

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Edited by NitroX (26/04/23 01:02 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
grandveneur
.400 member

Reged: 21/09/08
Loc: France / Germany
Re: Shooting a 4-bore [Re: NitroX]
      #376250 - 24/04/23 02:07 AM

The same also applies to the cartridge 700 Nitro Express. One don't need one or the other nowadays, and also at the time there was no need for the cartridge 600 Nitro Express. The 4-bore was only used during a short transitional period.

If it's fun why not, but all this rifles are deadly at both side.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Shooting a 4-bore [Re: grandveneur]
      #376252 - 24/04/23 02:41 AM

Fellow at ALR forum is making another 4 bore muzzleloading rifle, his second. This one is going to be a flintlock, I think.
Bill Raby is his name and his building videos are on Rumble.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

3DogMike
.400 member

Reged: 29/01/15
Loc: Western Slope, Colorado USA
Re: Shooting a 4-bore [Re: DarylS]
      #376291 - 25/04/23 06:29 AM

That bubba doing the overwrought Facebook post is a really poor actor. And his video IS a joke, a big act. He is clearly a legend in his own mind.

Yes I have fired several shots out of a full on BP loaded 4 bore, a Thomas Bland single shot weighing 19lbs, standard S.W. Silver "anti recoil" heelplate. I am 5'11" and at the time weighed about 170lbs.
I did not cry, cuss, whimper or do any of the theatrics of this hero…….sure, the thing recoils, but It is not heroic. I didn't even bruise.
After being used to shooting an 8 bore the 4 bore is not that much of a step up……

No, I had no iPhone & YouTube video back in the 1980's, and I'm not an attention whore like Bubba.
- Mike

--------------------
"Here's to killing people you don't like with people you do"

"Will Rogers never met a fighter pilot"
- Anon

“Always carry a flask of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake."
-- W. C. Fields

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Shooting a 4-bore [Re: 3DogMike]
      #376322 - 26/04/23 01:03 AM

http://NitroExpress.info/ubbthreads/photos_info/2023/04/4bore.mp4

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

DarylS
.700 member

Re: Shooting a 4-bore [Re: NitroX]
      #376323 - 26/04/23 02:01 AM

I noticed the 2x4 had been cut along it's face, about 1/2 deep (estimate), so it would break.
It did have some recoil, however in the whole video, Scot shot it 1/2 dozen times or so.
Bil is using 400 to 440gr. in the 4 bore he built last year. Says it has never bruised his shoulder.

--------------------
Daryl

Omnivorous_Bob
.333 member

Reged: 03/10/05
Loc: Montana
      #376570 - 07/05/23 01:46 AM

My son showed me this guy's two 4-bore videos, I finally had to turn the sound off as I couldn't take the bombast and attitude myself. On the other hand, I learned he's earning a very nice living with that persona catering to an audience that doesn't include me, so good on him I guess? It was painful to watch him not grip the barrel (and thus lose control of it) and not grip the wrist correctly (and thus lose control of it) and almost drop the rifle and then brag how that proves how powerful it is. I foresee may more videos of shooting car doors, refrigerators, etc.

I'm not a fan of "stunt rifles/guns", which to me are things built just to be slightly bigger than the last guy for bragging rights or youtube views. For example, JD Jones built exactly THREE 950JDJ rifles which all weighed somewhere in the 90LB range. Cool ballistic and gunsmithing experiment for sure, but they are constantly cited as the biggest, most powerful rifles ever. Now some folks build 30lb 4-bore and even 30lb 2 bores in order to brag but never carry. Where does that end?

There's nothing magic about it as Mike says above, just good shooting fundamentals. I've owned the much lighter than this gun Bland 4 bore he mentions above for almost 20 years and have taken tons of folks to the range with 30-40 rounds loaded on a spectrum from very light to getting-uncomfortable and talked them through how to get good results without any drama and staying in their comfort/fun zone. No heroics necessary. When we had our Alaskan DR shoots there were usually several 4 and 8 bores, 600s, 577s, etc that even passerbys on the range stopped in to try with proper coaching and without incident but lots of smiles. For that matter, if any NE guys/gals are visiting the Yellowstone area of MT send me an email and we'll work out some range time and you can see for yourself. I've had 10 year old kids who can handle a 308 shoot mine off sandbags with 700fps loads with no problem or hysteria.

Bob

--------------------
"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

DarylS
.700 member

Re: Shooting a 4-bore [Re: Omnivorous_Bob]
      #376571 - 07/05/23 07:50 AM

I hear you, Bob. There was a time years ago, before all the theatrics were incorporated, where Scot was worth watching. Any more, it's getting quite cringe-worthy.

--------------------
Daryl

TH44
.375 member

Reged: 21/02/09
Loc: West UK
      #376573 - 07/05/23 09:21 AM

Plus one for you Bob, Almost all of our large bore rifles are dated but at least they had a reason for being made and were used before WW1 - Done that

I have no problem with guys making monsters but they have no history of real use and are only a passing interest for me - bragging rights, I don't think so

I certainly enjoyed and will always remember my visit to the Alaska DR shoot with you guys and the excellent welcome I got from you all

Good shooting

Tony

Edited by TH44 (07/05/23 09:23 AM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  tinker 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1638

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com