Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Observations on a Lancaster shot and ball gun

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Paradox and Bore Guns

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
gungadoug
.333 member

Reged: 13/08/12
Loc: NM
Observations on a Lancaster shot and ball gun
      #239473 - 18/12/13 01:05 PM

I have acquired a Lancaster Shot and Ball gun, and after taking some measurements etc. have the following: Bores both at .730, 6 groove polygonal, very shallow rifling. Seems straight and uniform up to about 8" from the muzzle, where it imparts a slow twist, and about a light mod. choke. All this is very difficult to see, and I have no clue as to twist rate.

Came with some modern H&H paradox loads, which have the Fosbery style bullet of 750 gr. lubed with what looks for all the world like liquid alox! Patterns shot well, don't know yet about the paradox loads.

So- I will be ordering a roundball mould, and think about .735-.740 should work. Conical to follow.

Thoughts??

Doug

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
tinkerModerator
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Re: Observations on a Lancaster shot and ball gun [Re: gungadoug]
      #239480 - 18/12/13 04:07 PM

First thought:

You lucky guy!

What's the weight?
Weight of barrels alone?
Width/height at breech?
Width of buttplate?
Photo of muzzles and sights please...

Cheers
Tinker

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

Grenadier
.375 member

Reged: 20/02/08
Loc: North of the Columbia, USA
      #239494 - 18/12/13 08:33 PM

Do not shoot the modern H&H Paradox loads through that gun. The H&H Paradox guns were and are made overbore. The bullets in those loads are ~.735" diameter. I would start with bullets sized a 2-3 thousandths smaller than the bore.

You say the rifling is polygonal. You should check to see if your gun has the oval bores where the narrow portions of the oval are significantly tighter than the wider portions. There was a little discussion of those here: http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=187622&an=0&page=0

--------------------
~

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Observations on a Lancaster shot and ball gun [Re: Grenadier]
      #239507 - 19/12/13 03:38 AM

The gun's groove diameter (at the muzzle) should dictate what size round ball moulds you get, Doug, unless you try cloth-patched balls, which were quite interesting in my tests - very accurate and very clean shooting.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

gungadoug
.333 member

Re: Observations on a Lancaster shot and ball gun [Re: DarylS]
      #239860 - 30/12/13 01:55 AM

An update- first, I apologize not having taken pics- will try to get to that! It seems there is no choke as previously thought, just forcing cone in front of the chamber. The groove dia. has been verified as .730 at both breech and muzzles, straight until the last 6" where the twist is. Metford style rifling .005 deep. Interesting- the barrels are actually swamped in profile!

So far I have been using .735 dia fosbery style bullets, since that is what I have, with no success. Groups are non-existent. Yesterday got a push thru die made in .729, so will try that size. Will also try different alloys. BTW, the powder charge has been from 25- 28.5 gr Universal Clays. Any advise would be appreciated!

Thanks, Doug

DarylS
.700 member

#239861 - 30/12/13 03:06 AM

I think staying with shotgun-type powders might be a good idea - to keep the speeds in the lower range, but then, perhaps that is why it is not grouping - just casting a suggestion. I would try a slower burning powder, rather than the trap-type powders.

The .729" sizer might be the ticket.

I would try Herco, SR7625 and SR4756. All three of those have worked well for me in a smooth 12 bore.

I did buy some Longshot and Steel for testing, but winter got in the way of that - another 8 to 10" of it last night.

Lube is another avenue for group effect. They will make a difference at times.

--------------------
Daryl

gungadoug
.333 member

#239873 - 30/12/13 11:02 AM

Tried 10 rd of the .729 bullets, and 27 gr Universal Clays- some success! At 100 yd I can do about 10" crossing, and it seems there is some grouping- just on steel today due to crowded conditions. But- this is the best so far. I also found the Lancaster seems to like to be held very firmly, grip it and pull it in. So, crossing would indicate to me that I need less powder, or possibly a heavier bullet?

I am using Magtec brass cases, because I like them, and 3 each nitro and 1/2" fiber wads to get the height right. I am putting 40 lb of compression to the wad column, according to the MEC press. After cutting one of the H&H Paradox shells apart, they are using a much more solid wad column- wonder if more wad pressure, and therefore a denser column would matter? Something else to try.
Doug

DarylS
.700 member

#239875 - 30/12/13 12:17 PM

Multiple cards rather the cushion wads will change things.

Experimentation is soooo much fun! Pain if you can't load at the range though.

A portable outfit (press and powder measure and C-clamps to hold it down to a table) in the clubhouse works for me.

It's nice to be able to change a load slightly, they simply walk over the the firing line to test it.

--------------------
Daryl

tinkerModerator
.416 member

#239877 - 30/12/13 12:46 PM

Doug where and how are you holding the barrels?
A full tight grip of both of them, ahead of the forend might help.
Forget the forend wood is there at all.

gungadoug
.333 member

Re: Observations on a Lancaster shot and ball gun [Re: tinker]
      #239892 - 31/12/13 01:03 AM

Hmmm-- forget the forend wood- interesting! Think I will try all card wads as well. I now think if I can get rid of the crossing I will be close, well either more or less powder!?
Thanks for the advise! Doug

DarylS
.700 member

#239898 - 31/12/13 03:24 AM

Yes - by all means, grip the barrels ahead of the fore stock, resting the back of that hand on the bags.

--------------------
Daryl

tinkerModerator
.416 member

#239901 - 31/12/13 04:45 AM

Grip.
Emphasis on grip.
Thumb and fingers around the tubes.
There will be no barrel heat concerns at all.

More or less powder can help too.
Work on the hold first.

Cheers
Tinker

--------------------

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

gungadoug
.333 member

Re: Observations on a Lancaster shot and ball gun [Re: tinker]
      #239924 - 31/12/13 11:13 AM

OK! Advise taken, and appreciated! 10 loaded for tomorrow, with 26 gr and another card wad, upped the wad pressure to 95 lb. I really don't understand the wad pressure thing, just experimenting. Grip- I have always used a thumb and fingers grip on the doubles, just never really thought about it too much- held on so all won't get away. I'll try choking this critter, and don't want any comments about that!
Thanks! Doug

tinkerModerator
.416 member

#239925 - 31/12/13 11:35 AM

Yes Doug

This may well be one where two in the hand beats one in the bush (or the tall grass!)...

Cheers
Tinker

--------------------

gatsby
.375 member

Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: inland valley CA USA
      #239931 - 31/12/13 02:04 PM

I assume you are using a paradox style bullet sized to .729. The crimp makes a bigger difference than the wad pressure (I use 100lbs) How are you crimping the brass cases? Why not use a paper case? Being able to size your bullet from barely engaging the rifling to larger in increments of .001 would be a plus or maybe a teflon wrap to increase size. I would have gone with about 19 grains unique with a short column ring crimp and partial closure in a paper case with the .729 bullet for a first load but I cannot recommend this load to any others.

--------------------
"Recoil is insignificant when there is a tiger on the head of your elephant" The Maharaja of Cooch Behar

Edited by gatsby (31/12/13 02:11 PM)

gungadoug
.333 member

Re: Observations on a Lancaster shot and ball gun [Re: gatsby]
      #239981 - 01/01/14 11:21 AM

Well, I tried both 26 of UC, with 95 lb wad pressure and a firm roll on the brass cases, with a firm grip- and I'm getting there! Still shooting crossed by 10 or so at 100. Also tried 19 gr Unique, and crossed by 2'! Looks like the slower load (by felt recoil, my Chrony was at home) crosses worse than the faster. Maybe recoil is a plus here? So, I'll work with what I have, would like to try some heavier bullets, but don't have access to any.

Thanks, All, Doug

tinkerModerator
.416 member

#239993 - 01/01/14 03:43 PM

Bring the chronograph.
Very important.

...and velocity and recoil can help.

But bring that chronograph.

--------------------

CommandCar
.333 member

Reged: 18/09/10
Loc: East Coast, USA
      #240039 - 02/01/14 10:40 AM

Quote:

Well, I tried both 26 of UC, with 95 lb wad pressure and a firm roll on the brass cases, with a firm grip- and I'm getting there! Still shooting crossed by 10 or so at 100. Also tried 19 gr Unique, and crossed by 2'! Looks like the slower load (by felt recoil, my Chrony was at home) crosses worse than the faster. Maybe recoil is a plus here? So, I'll work with what I have, would like to try some heavier bullets, but don't have access to any.

Thanks, All, Doug

My experience is these guns cross low when the velocity is too low. I suggest you get a copy (if you do not have) of the DGJ issue where Sherman Bell discusses loading for Paradox guns. If you follow his methodology, you will be using Unique, shortened Federal Paper cases, nitro cards and cork wads. You may roll or "fix", John Millar in Canada can make you the proper roll crimper for the Fosbery slugs. As I read through this thread, most of these have been recommended by others. Sherman's loads will almost surely be safe in your Ball & Shot, so this is a really good place to start. I believe 19 grains of Unique was a starting load that worked in some of the older black powder guns? Also, if you used the 19 grain Unique load in Magtech Brass shells, instead of Federal Paper hulls, you did not follow the suggestion at all...

There are so many variables in creating ammunition that will regulate in you Lancaster that it is almost a waste to not chronograph each and every combination. Almost surely, your projectile should be traveling between 1050 and 1150 fps. In a few cases it should be about 1200, but there are usually clues to the faster load, like a B&S that weighs 7.5 lbs or more.

BTW, I worked up loads for a late Wm. Evans, you can follow my reporting on older threads on NE. The range had a large pond next to it. More that once I fantasized about hurling the paradox way out in the middle of the lake. These things can be frustrating.

Sounds like you have a B&S that will eventually produce 4"-6" groups at 100 yards. Good Luck.

Edited by CommandCar (02/01/14 10:51 AM)

gungadoug
.333 member

Re: Observations on a Lancaster shot and ball gun [Re: CommandCar]
      #240041 - 02/01/14 11:10 AM

CC, well, I did follow as well as possible without completely redoing everything! Trying to work with what I have available here! I sure appreciate the advise however, and may very well end up there. Today I had access to a scale that told me what I thought were 750 gr Fosberys were in fact 690gr! My balance beam scale doesn't go that high, so relied on what I remembered- guess that is a mistake at this age! Now, this is crossing, but high- about 12" at 100---!

Yep, the chrony is a must, but dang! I am finding these B&S are a bit hard on the ol' chrony! I have started using a piece of 2x4 in front of the thing, but find the wads will still sneak in where they aren't supposed to be!

Happy New Year to all, and thanks for the help!! Doug

AkMike
.416 member

Reged: 19/11/05
Loc: Anchorage, Alaska
      #240049 - 02/01/14 02:15 PM

Save yourself some grief with the Chrony's!

That 'divot' in the front is from a FMJ 30-06.

--------------------
"When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing; when you see that money is flowing to those who deal not in goods, but in favors; you may know that your society is doomed." Ayn Rand

gatsby
.375 member

Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: inland valley CA USA
Re: Observations on a Lancaster shot and ball gun [Re: CommandCar]
      #240051 - 02/01/14 03:07 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks, All, Doug

Sherman's loads will almost surely be safe in your Ball & Shot, so this is a really good place to start. I believe 19 grains of Unique was a starting load that worked in some of the older black powder guns

Correct and 19grs is a good ultra safe place to start, in a Holland or Westley . Federal paper is the way to go. Prior to increasing the charge weight I would have increased the bullet diameter to see what effect that might have. Teflon wrap or paper patch your .729 bullet to increase the diameter if you don't have an assortment of sizers. If you have shot the unsized bullet (.735?) in the gun with the UC load try it in the 19gr loading. Good luck. Where did you get the 690gr paradox bullets? Hope they are not hardcast. Stay with 20-1.

--------------------
"Recoil is insignificant when there is a tiger on the head of your elephant" The Maharaja of Cooch Behar

DarylS
.700 member

Re: Observations on a Lancaster shot and ball gun [Re: gatsby]
      #240073 - 03/01/14 03:37 AM

I didn't think of that, but when that size, a change in alloy can make a considerable difference in weight as gatsby suggests - recoil, pressure & thus regulation.

That's a wonderful set-up, Mike - for any chronograph.

--------------------
Daryl

gungadoug
.333 member

#240084 - 03/01/14 07:56 AM

Success! Thanks, to all!! A 750 gr bullet sized down to .729 at 1050 is the ticket. I pulled apart 4 of the H&H rounds, and resized the bullet, then reloaded in the brass cases to 1050, and it works. Can't send any targets, as the ranges were full for what I was doing, but shooting at a 6" rock at 100m, I can bust it in half, then hit one of the halves- this twice in a row, and to the sights! SB mould on order.

Seems the recoil factor is at play here. When I reduced velocity the crossing got worse, the opposite of what I expected. I think that at this low velocity, the recoil is more of a factor than barrel dwell time. Anyhow, thanks to all, and Mike, that is a great idea for the Chrono! Seems that no matter how well I protected the thing, a wad would still fly out at the wrong time!
Thanks, All Doug

AkMike
.416 member

Reged: 19/11/05
Loc: Anchorage, Alaska
      #240086 - 03/01/14 08:35 AM

You should have seen the Chrony that died with a 4 bore wad hitting it! I may still have a pic of it somewhere. If I find it I'll post it up.

--------------------
"When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing; when you see that money is flowing to those who deal not in goods, but in favors; you may know that your society is doomed." Ayn Rand

CommandCar
.333 member

Reged: 18/09/10
Loc: East Coast, USA
      #240088 - 03/01/14 09:06 AM

Quote:

Success! Thanks, to all!! A 750 gr bullet sized down to .729 at 1050 is the ticket. I pulled apart 4 of the H&H rounds, and resized the bullet, then reloaded in the brass cases to 1050, and it works. Can't send any targets, as the ranges were full for what I was doing, but shooting at a 6" rock at 100m, I can bust it in half, then hit one of the halves- this twice in a row, and to the sights! SB mould on order.

Seems the recoil factor is at play here. When I reduced velocity the crossing got worse, the opposite of what I expected. I think that at this low velocity, the recoil is more of a factor than barrel dwell time. Anyhow, thanks to all, and Mike, that is a great idea for the Chrono! Seems that no matter how well I protected the thing, a wad would still fly out at the wrong time!
Thanks, All Doug

Well done! The mould that duplicates the H&H slug, perfectly, is available from CBE in Australia. It is mould #735-735, the Fosbery style paradox, not the blunt one that is 735-735R.

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 28 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  tinker 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 14128

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com