Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Who hunts with early bore rifles - experience on large game?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Paradox and Bore Guns

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Who hunts with early bore rifles - experience on large g [Re: tinker]
      #110657 - 29/07/08 10:42 AM

Tinker:

Gotcha.

I haven't had too great a success with JHP's in media or on critters. But with cast bullets and jacketed rifle bullets, they look promising, and my Lee HP cast bullet has performed very well on game.

Reading this post again, the utility of HP's seems to grow. The thing about a Hollow Point that seems relevant here is that it can be adjusted for bullet hardness and velocity of the cartridge fired.

For example, the Gould bullet I mentioned had a great reputation as a deer bullet but was said to be somewhat frangible for bigger game. A bullet with a shallower HP would penetrate deeper, tho, and might offer better performance on game the size of red deer, elk, etc.

Reloading speed, penetration and expansion might be able to be incorporated into a custom cast conical bullet that had a plugged hollow base with a hollow point, or the bullet mold could be left to cast a flat nose and then hollow pointed to the hole diameter and depth required by the game. This of course contingent upon adequate twist rate of the rifle involved.

Just an idea.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
tinkerModerator
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Re: Who hunts with early bore rifles - experience on large g [Re: 9.3x57]
      #110665 - 29/07/08 01:46 PM

9.3-

I've been fiddling with a rifle for the last week or so, nailing the books looking for the right period bullet for it.
One thing that's come up is a short conical with a hollowpoint (as per maker, documented/seen/etc in maker's kit with similar rifles of the period)

A friend sent me a (paradox type) mould the other day to play around with, he'd gotten it for a similar rifle, but the bullet weight was just too much for his rifle as-cast.
He's asked that I look at either setting it up as a hollow-point mould or setting up to hollow-point the bullets cast from it in a second operation.

'Tis indeed funny you'd say that right about now...

--Tinker

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Who hunts with early bore rifles - experience on large g [Re: Birdhunter50]
      #110690 - 30/07/08 12:49 AM

Quote:

Daryl S,
Do you think that a 300 grain hollowpoint 45/70 doing 1400 to 1500 FPS is a stiff enough load for Moose ? I have a rifle already made up and regulated with this load. I was going to use it on Moose in Alaska with a friend up there as a guide. He mouth calls them in during the rut and tells me that he can get one in to about 75 yards or so for a shot. Will this work in your oppinion?
Bob H.

;
; Bob- The only 300gr. I'd shoot at a moose from a .45/70, would be the Nosler Partition. Personally, I prefer sopmething with more weight. In a Marlin lever gun, that would be a 350gr. Horn., 350gr. Speer driven at the top end of velocity, ie: 43,000PSI, or a 400gr. Speer slowed to 1,800fps, 405gr. Rem at 1,800fps or 400gr. Barnes OS at anything up to 2,000fps. I know the 300gr. Partition will penetrate just as far, maybe farther than any of the heavier bullets, but I just can't wrapp my mind around a 300gr. short stubby pill for moose. In a Marlin, due to the lopwer cannelured 350gr. Speer, the case will have to be shortened to 2" to get a proepr overall length. It must also be driven faster than 1,900fps to ensure upsettage. Properly loaded the Marlin or replica M86 Winchesters will do about 2,150fps with the 350's and quite easily. Yes, they will kick.
; I would never use a 300gr. hollow point on moose. The solid flat noses will work on cows and 18 month bulls just fine, with broadside shots, which don't present themselves that often. It's usually a quartering shot - not the best for low sectional density bullets.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 19 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  tinker 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 22124

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com